• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers interview: Kojima answers EVERY question on Metal Gear Solid V

This is way past hyperbole. Hayter is not Snake in Japan, Spain, France, Germany, Italy ... And his character existed many years before MGS.

I'm Spanish and I refuse to play MGS1 with Spanish dubbing. Which is pretty much irrelevant, since, to my knowledge, not one single MGS game except for MGS1 and Twin Snakes has included any Spanish dubbing, or any non-English dubbing for that matter.

So... yeah, Hayter is pretty much Snake everywhere except Japan.

MechaX

Keifer can read the ingredients on the back of a bagel bites box and make it sound hella good.

You better recognize son.

The only people I would trust to make something like that riveting are Ron Perlman, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamil, and Christopher Lee.

With that said, I'm imagine the back of a bagel bites box would be better written than Kojima's scripts.

XANDER CAGE said:
"YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING IN THAT RAIN"

Man, and KojiPro actually at least brought Flynn back on board after his acting in that scene too...

Uh, Keifer isn't playing Snake... He was the other guy in the trailer.

Ishmael and Snake sound alike, which is giving rise to the speculation that he voices both of them. And EatChildren's theory will probably be pretty close to the mark.

border

Make fans go wild with speculation and discussion, release a killer trailer and give a long good interview (like what this thread is about). Sounds like some dumb self-indulgent handling.

Pretend your game is something entirely different for several months, stage cornball fake interview with fake developer, continue to confuse people about the number of projects you have in the works. It only seems like a good strategy if you already have a heavy emotional investment in the series, otherwise it's just tedious.

Again, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. I've quit playing many games and watching many shows/movies when a favorite character of mine has been replaced or their actor changed. Is it a good enough reason for you? Maybe not. But it is to me so... *shrug*

I have nothing against Kojima for making this change, it's his baby and he can do what he wants with it. I've said the same thing of Lucas making unpopular changes to Star Wars. But just because I'm okay with them making the changes they want to the things they've made doesn't mean I'm willing to continue to support it.

It is a crap reason yes. Fair enough if the game turns out to be a trainwreck, but if kojima pulls out the best mgs game yet are you telling me you wont buy it just because hayter isnt in it.

I enjoy hayter, and was sceptical about whether he's truly gone or not, but if he is im not gonna throw my toys out of the pram and not enjoy a potentially fantastic game.

Go on the games quality son not whether your fave VA is in it.

Fantomex

I wonder if he's going to complain until the game releases about being left out? We can definitely start a Hayter's Gonna Hayte meme.

while it will be odd to not hear Hayter voicing Big Boss this time around, I can understand if it was simply a new casting choice for another direction (especially since Hayter might lean towards a repeat performance of 4's old snake, which I admit wasn't his best work). I'm just find it to be a rather dick/not-so-courteous move to not tell him that he would not be returning, after all his time and involvement with the franchise.

UrbanRats

Not really.

Yes it is.
Not like you can't tell for shit if someone is awful or not, but different languages have very different phonetics, rhythms and cadences.
You can't tell me Russian, English or Mandarin or whatever are basically the same with different words, it's more nuanced than that and if you know the language you can spot those nuances much better.

kswiston

Came in this thread to see what people thought about the open world direction. Got 4 pages of arguing over a voice actor instead. Makes me wonder what the internet would have looked like if it existed back when Roger Moore took over as Bond. I can't wait to see what happens in another decade or so when someone needs to replace Charles Martinet on Mario.

Anyhow, if Kojima sticks to his promises about open world gameplay, and if he is still able to deliver a mostly polished gaming experience, MGSV could be really cool. Going open world would also mean that we will have more control over when the game wrestles agency away from us for a story sequence. Feel like playing around with the game mechanics without interruption? Avoid the main missions for awhile. Sure you could have done that in the previous games, but you were usually confined to a small room or area before being forced to move on.

Imm0rt4l

It appears you now understand the concept of not purchasing something if it doesn't have what you want in it.

Pretty simple.

Good for you. You prioritize a va over the entire staff, new engine, and the productions entirety. Don't give into Kojimas demands, keep fucking that chicken.

Again, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. I've quit playing many games and watching many shows/movies when a favorite character of mine has been replaced or their actor changed. Is it a good enough reason for you? Maybe not. But it is to me so... *shrug*

I have nothing against Kojima for making this change, it's his baby and he can do what he wants with it. I've said the same thing of Lucas making unpopular changes to Star Wars. But just because I'm okay with them making the changes they want to the things they've made doesn't mean I'm willing to continue to support it.

Wow same here. I stopped watching english dub of Dragon Ball Z once the new VA for Cartoon Network took over. It was just so weird and I couldn't get into it anymore.

So I could definitely understand gamers with years of investment into the same voice, whether or not it objectively decreased in quality.

It's like eating the same steak and gravy for years and once the gravy changes, you can't enjoy the steak the same, even if they brought you some Kobe shit.

No hayter IS disappointing, but I will get over it. His quality wasn't as God like as everyone claims.

The horn is just shrapnel mixed with bone is fucking lame, it was what everything thought the simplest reason was and I was hoping for something more crazy

No PC confirmation is also saddening, I would love to see that engine cranked to 11

and two separate games is also disappointing

Grief.exe

No hayter IS disappointing, but I will get over it. His quality wasn't as God like as everyone claims.

The horn is just shrapnel mixed with bone is fucking lame, it was what everything thought the simplest reason was and I was hoping for something more crazy

No PC confirmation is also saddening, I would love to see that engine cranked to 11

and two separate games is also disappointing

Keep holding out hope, I'm thinking it will happen.

mrplaid

I will be waiting for the Metal Gear Solid 5 Game of the Year Edition that includes both games and all DLC and enhanced graphics for next-gen systems.

Spiegel

I don't know if it has been talked here already but I would have liked Geoff to have asked Kojima if transfarring is still a part of his vision for the Fox Engine or if the idea has been abandoned, considering it was a big part of his talk when the engine was first announced and it seems to be forgotten now.

Epcott

I wish Geoff asked when there would finally be a HD PW release on Vita that supported transfarring.

Hell, I would had liked if he asked if Shotmaker, Machine gun Kid, Fire Trooper, Bloody Brad, and Dirty Duck would make appearances as recruits.

Hayter is Snake. Any other voice will suck because it's not Snake. It's not fair to the replacement, but that's how it is.

Watch this video without it on the screen. Changing that voice to another makes it no longer Snake for most people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKV7VifBFSY

Why doesn't Hayter use his normal voice for Snake if the idea is to get less cartoony?

I don't get how people blame that on Hayter. It's not like voice actors tell the producers how they are going to read the lines. The other guys in charge tell them how to read the lines until they are satisfied with it.

Vally

Yeah but at least that was only 2 thirds of the price. These guys want you to pay $60 for a game that they're calling the warm-up to the actual big game.

When did they say that? I doubt they'll charge $60 for Ground Zeroes, it will depend on how much content it has but being a prologue it shouldn't cost more than $40, I think.

When did they say that? I doubt they'll charge $60 for Ground Zeroes, it will depend on how much content it has but being a prologue it shouldn't cost more than $40, I think.

Kojima was translated to say that GZ is a prologue to Phantom Pain. The word "prologue" has a connotation with being a shorter body of work that introduces the real body of work.

Jac_Solar

Replacing the actors of established characters is rarely a good thing. Going from 1 episode, or movie, whatever, to another, and there's a different actor there representing a character you might have gotten attached to is jarring.

It might not be as noticeable with a voice for everyone, but I'm sure it will be for some. Kiefer seems to be an awesome guy, and I don't have anything against him, but David Hayter is Snake for a lot of people. He also seems to be a big fan of the franchise.

A lot of people might feel like Kiefer is simply a big name they can plaster all over the cover, or in the PR, and that he doesn't care about the franchise -- even if it isn't true. That might also make it more difficult to get attached to the character, and to care about him.

I don't think the exaggerated voice over in MGS4 was Hayters fault alone. I think that was, most likely, also a result of the projects direction.

Vally

Kojima was translated to say that GZ is a prologue to Phantom Pain. The word "prologue" has a connotation with being a shorter body of work that introduces the real body of work.

Yep I know they're calling it a prologue, I was refering to ChimpBottle taking for granted GZ is going to be a full price $60 game when Kojima hasn't commented yet on how the games will be distributed and sold.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He said they wanted to do something new with this game and changing the voice actor is part of that, but they certainly didn't change the Japanese voice actor if that original Ground Zeroes trailer is anything to go by.

With that said, I only played the first two games in English and never thought Hayter was all that good. Metal Gear Solid 1 sounded good for the time, when voice acting in games was still rare, but I don't know if he cuts it by modern day standards.

Yep I know they're calling it a prologue, I was refering to ChimpBottle taking for granted GZ is going to be a full price $60 game when Kojima hasn't commented yet on how the games will be distributed and sold.

Yeah, you're right. Since it's announcement, it looked as though Ground Zeroes was just a regular title so I assumed it would have the standard MSRP, but with recent developments I suppose it's entirely possible that it's given a smaller price tag.

Talon

His reason for no Hayter is so... bizarre; especially when Akio Ōtsuka is coming back for the Japanese version. Seems like Kojima could angry with Hayter over something. Come on, Kojima. Smarten up... ugh, I'm so torn. I'm excited to see more, but for some reason I'm having a hard time really getting excited like I used to get for Metal Gear. My favourite franchise ever and it doesn't feel like much right now which is strange for me. It just won't be Metal Gear without Hayter, simple as that. Especially if Sutherland will be doing the voice. It might sound funny, but it is an important aspect of the franchise.
Kojima's jelly of that film career...hahaha

Ein Bear

Nine years in a coma is a nice way of explaining where the fuck Big Boss' whole mercenary career went. Lazy.

I like how between this and the period between MG2 and MGS4, the world's greatest soldier seems to have spent half his life blown up, lying in pieces, in a coma.

PSY・S;52067247 said:
Don't Hayter the Hayter :(

soooo i tweeted jack earle haley & kojima saying Jack should do the voice of solid snake since i liked how he played rorschach...lol and I don't know if this means anything but jack haley favorited my tweet so that is pretty awesome :)

Midou

Nine years in a coma is a nice way of explaining where the fuck Big Boss' whole mercenary career went. Lazy.

It's true, but I also don't want another 5 Big Boss games, as awesome as they are. It would be a good way for Kojima to finish the cycle of the story and move on to other things without really having any other gap to fill in, in the story.

Wounded

I said this elsewhere, but I'll repost just in case:

The weird thing is David Hayter has posted quite specific stuff that kind of suggests that he HAS been involved some how.

Remember the debut trailer? He was quoted as saying "it made my arm hurt" wasn't this before we knew anything about the Phantom Pain which he's obviously referencing?

That and he had the Diamond Dogs concept art as his avatar a while back.

He was asked if Phantom Pain was Konami, but then said it was Moby Dick. How would he know if he was as in the dark as the rest of us?

Salaadin

I said this elsewhere, but I'll repost just in case:

"Made my arm hurt" was a reference to the main dude in TPP trailer missing an arm.

The concept art doesn't mean much since Hayter always has MGS art as his profile pic.

I don't see how him saying that TPP was Moby Dick means anything. We all knew the exact same thing.

The only thing I've seen that implied Hayter knows more than he is letting on was from a YouTube trailer breakdown the other day where the girl claimed that she spoke with Hayter a month or two ago and he said that he signed an NDA with Konami about MGS5...but I have no idea how reliable she is.

Top Bottom