• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley revealed the fickleness of GOTY awards with "some" gamers

GOTY

• Geoff Keighley's GOTY is the most important

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • GOTY is an accumilation of awards from respected organisations and sites

Votes: 79 82.3%

• Total voters

Pelta88

I didn't realize the fickleness of gamers in regards to GOTY awards and nominations...

Call me "old school" but GOTY, has always been an accumulation of awards from respected gaming collectives. Gamers and journalists often banded together in websites and/or blogs giving the nod to a standout ip that released that year. But recently, over the past year it seems Geoff Keighley's a ward show has become the only award "some" care about?

Firstly, Geoff Keighley is a great guy. He's been a part of the industry for decades and I'm not diminishing his efforts. That said, personally, I find his award show almost circus like. Drowned out by sponsored products and promotions of things that use the gaming audience to gain traction but never add to it. Movies, Gillette's new razor etc etc etc. So for me, again personally, I don't care for his inflated awards show. His GOTY is award is one I respect but still just one many.

But recently, it seems that "some" gamers Keighley's have elevated Keighley's GOTY to the be all and end all. And I honestly don't understand it? Is it because his show is streamed?

If we're talking prominence then Bafta has the top spot as it awards reverberates across the EU.

film-bafta-winners-Uni-versal-Extras.jpg

I can't work out how and when Geoff's GOTY became the only one that matters to some?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Keighleys game of the year award is shite. His award is built on foundations of sand though.

All goty awards are shite and just an exercise in novelty or what's currently trendy. The truth is no GOTY award should matter to anyone. Its just a fun poll.

Unless there are some actual static metrics that start being applied then it's always subjective, and tainted with broad agenda's in most cases.

Ashrak

Neo Member
I've noticed that Geoff Keighley is especially popular among plattform warriors.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

TexMex

I cared way, way more about GOTY awards from individual publications I knew and loved. EGM, GameSpot/Giant Bomb, GI). Now it's a revolving door of anonymous freelancers. And Geoff's show is far from an enthusiast production and more of an advertisement. Those awards feel like they're for sale. Whether they are or not is irrelevant, but they feel just as soulless.

Reactions: Isa

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yes I view GOTY as more of the general consensus among well respected organizations, Keighley's included. It should never be taken as end all be all, and most sensible people understand this.

mortal

Gold Member
Let's be honest, if the game announcements and trailers were completely removed from the program, no one would even care about TGAs. It's a glorified E3 conference at best.

Lady Jane

Banned
I get the impression that Keighley is attempting to be the "king" of video games media. When E3 announced the 2023 event, Keighly reminded everyone hours after of his Summer Games Fest which is clearly an opportunistic attempt to be the next E3 while E3 wasn't happening. He's desperate for the spotlight.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I get the impression that Keighley is attempting to be the "king" of video games media. Even after E3's 2023 announcement, Keighly reminded everyone hours after of his Summer Games Fest which is clearly an opportunistic attempt to be the next E3 while E3 wasn't happening. He's desperate for the spotlight.

Better him than somebody else who is more obnoxious and/or has retarded agendas.

Is this about the drama that Dorito's popo "moved' this year GOTY nomination cut off date just to ensure God Of War would be able to win, cof cof I mean, to ensure GoW would be eligible to enter this year?

Lady Jane

Banned
Better him than somebody else who is more obnoxious and/or has retarded agendas.

I guess you're right, it could be worst. Keighley is just so...robotic and boring.

Is this about the drama that Dorito's popo "moved' this year GOTY nomination cut off date just to ensure God Of War would be able to win, cof cof I mean, to ensure GoW would be eligible to enter this year?

After God of War beat Red Dead Redemption II, if Raganarok beats Elden Ring, I'm going to join the tin-foil hats that certain publishers are pressuring him ("We'll announce our new game next year on your show if we're impressed with this year's show.")

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The Game Awards is already an amalgamation of critics, as they pick 50+ critics from different places to pick an award. So yeah, I consider them the most important.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that they don't pick bad game as award winners (*cough* TLOU 2 *cough*) or that other places gives award too. I just think that the TGA is the most important.

Paltheos

Let's be honest, if the game announcements and trailers were completely removed from the program, no one would even care about TGAs. It's a glorified E3 conference at best.

Maybe. This year's TGA in particular had me thinking allot about the show when they announced several category winners without any fanfare in a list. "How is it determined what categories receive more screen time in the show? Why is a show called The Game Awards cutting so much time for ads if it means marginalizing all these award categories?"

This year's show seemed especially egregious about being a big ad, and I don't know if it was quite this bad before. I liked it before (I think!)

Kacho

GOTY, has always been an accumulation of awards from respected gaming collectives
Never heard of this being a thing before. How does one qualify to be respected? What's the offical list as of 2022? Who oversees this and makes the final call? So many questions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Huh? It releases the 9th, it still makes the date from all prior years.

And last year it was the 19th.
Winners are determined by a blended vote between the voting jury (90%) and public fan voting (10%). Fans can vote for their favorite games on TheGameAwards.com and also via social media platforms in select categories. In China fans can vote on the winners via Bilibili. Fan voting closes on Wednesday, December 8 at 6 pm PT.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Never heard of this being a thing before. How does one qualify to be respected? What's the offical list as of 2022? Who oversees this and makes the final call? So many questions.

I think gameawards.net does a pretty good job accumulating the awards given by various outlets. It is really no different than review scores on metacritic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think gameawards.net does a pretty good job accumulating the awards given by various outlets. It is really no different than review scores on metacritic.

Damn, TLoU2 really crushed it compared to all the accumulative years prior. Not only publication, but readers as well.

Huh, the way some talk on here, it was the worst most hated game ever created.
Sci-Fi Wow GIF by MANGOTEETH

In the age of Metacritic it's only natural that the GoTY is also attributed in the aggregate. So to me the "official" GoTY of that year is the game that wins the most awards.

Not that any of it actually matters, it's cool for devs to win them and usually the games that end up winning the most awards are in general the best games of that year (obviously it isn't going to be a perfect match to anyone's taste).

These awards have some inherent bias to certain types of games, so you have to take that in consideration. TLoU for example, is the gaming equivalent of "Oscar bait", it's just really well suited to win these awards (I'm fine with that because it seems to align with what I like as well).

Geoff's award itself has nothing over many other awards in the industry, we watch his show for the trailers.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
After God of War beat Red Dead Redemption II, if Raganarok beats Elden Ring, I'm going to join the tin-foil hats that certain publishers are pressuring him ("We'll announce our new game next year on your show if we're impressed with this year's show.")

God of War beat RDR2?! What a joke. As someone who loved all the GoW games, the most recent release is the weakest entry.

Topher

Gold Member
God of War beat RDR2?! What a joke. As someone who loved all the GoW games, the most recent release is the weakest entry.

Not sure why that would be a surprise though. The game was extremely well received. Sure, it wasn't like the prior games and a lot of folks who loved those games were not thrilled about the new direction, but generally the game was lavished with praise.

And it wasn't just one outlet that gave GoW GOTY:

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and find out how good GoW:R really is (or is not) first?

Last edited:
Top Bottom