• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley revealed the fickleness of GOTY awards with "some" gamers

GOTY

• Geoff Keighley's GOTY is the most important

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • GOTY is an accumilation of awards from respected organisations and sites

Votes: 79 82.3%

• Total voters

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All awards are bullshit.

The only thing that gives them the illiusion of greater or lesser credibility is the prominence of who's handing out the gongs, not the pedigree of who votes for them.

So for instance the Baftas have a lot of credibility because its a known institution, even though fuck knows who's on the jury. Most likely a hand-picked clique of London journo's and industry types.
IDGA is similar, another clique of "cool kids".

Geoff's the smartest player because he's basically a promotor. One with the chutzpah to call his show The Game Awards. Kinda nutty if you think about it. Imagine Roger Ebert creating The Film Awards?!? Of course not.
But anyway, he gets away with it because he's a he's good at mounting shows and promoting his brand. As to who picks the award winners, who the hell knows or cares really! Its basically metacritic except its based on
outlet, not individual reviewer. There'll be enough separation to keep Geoff's hands clean, but beyond that nothing scientific or objective about it.

I don't think anyone has suggested that when a game wins GOTY that it is universally loved. But TLOU 2 certainly dominated the GOTY awards which goes to show that the hate is coming from a very loud vocal minority. That's fine too. Can't remember the last time a game got under people's skin like that one has.
It's almost...too good

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Personally, I do not buy a game until an edition comes out with fifty GOTY rewards sources plastered all over the case.

Seriously though, the "true" GOTY each year is always obvious. All of the major gaming news and reviews sites tend to pretty much come to a consensus when you look at their reactions and scores in aggregate.

lol dorito pope goty is a joke
rtpSEGa.png

Fredrik

I'm not following this. What was the cutoff date supposedly moved to? Last year's cutoff date was November 19. So even if this year's cutoff date is the same as last years then GoW:R would still be eligible.

"Games eligible for The Game Awards this year must be available for public consumption on or before November 19, 2021. Titles that are released after this date will be eligible for The Game Awards ceremony in 2022. (Similarly, games that were released in December 2020 are first eligible for this year’s awards)."

What am I missing?
Even worse then, but holy crap the Nov cut needs to go!

Why not have the show in January 2023 and have the cut off date for the game of the year 2022 award set to the end of the year 2022?

What’s the deal??

I guess you're right, it could be worst. Keighley is just so...robotic and boring.

After God of War beat Red Dead Redemption II, if Raganarok beats Elden Ring, I'm going to join the tin-foil hats that certain publishers are pressuring him ("We'll announce our new game next year on your show if we're impressed with this year's show.")
The date was never moved or pushed back for GOW.
Why does it matter what other publications gave it when the one that matters didn't :messenger_winking:
You mean the same one composed of voters who thought TLOU2 reveal trailer looked so good, that they thought it was CGI?

Last edited:

Mozzarella

TGA may not be the most important award, although you can argue it is, but at the same time i cannot give equal value of TGA award to some unknown journalist who wrote his favorite 10 games from Peru, that seems insanse that some websites like gameawards.net do consider them both to hold the same value which is 1 award in the big picture.
There is definitely some awards more valuable than others when it comes to GOTY and i wish some website did calculate the important ones only instead of the 100+ useless crappy ones.
In 2020 TLOU2 award count was very sus to me, so i went out of my way to check the referenced awards and found a lot of them are just mere instagram pages, or a random article from a unknown websites from some non gaming magazine which happens to play ONLY the mainstream games, now you guess, some awards were even just a YouTube video of 4 friends discussing their winner of the year, i mean if you consider that equal to respected old time magazines such as Gamespot, IGN and TGA and BAFTA awards then i dont know what to tell you.

For me GAF GOTY is more important than a lot of GOTYs out there. GAF votes approx 5k members for a winner, compared to some casual journalist who played 5 games and watched 5 and chose a winner, i think i would take GAF winner over it.

Last edited:

Verchod

I see this guy mentioned a lot on here, but I've no idea who he is. Is this an American thing or an online thing?
It feels to me like he's trying to make himself important and relevant. To me, he's neither.

Maybe BAFTAs or GDC are better choices but I guess gamers want to be involved in some way. Maybe if E3 does ever return they skittle host an awards ceremony of some kind.

Handel

The TGA GOTY has more credibility behind it than most, though in general one should most look to publications they gels with GOTY choices. Edge is one of the ones I hold in high esteem.

I highly doubt gamers care about his awards. I think the only people that talk about the awards are developers themselfs, stroking their cocks for a piece of plastic.

After God of War beat Red Dead Redemption II, if Raganarok beats Elden Ring, I'm going to join the tin-foil hats that certain publishers are pressuring him ("We'll announce our new game next year on your show if we're impressed with this year's show.")
GOW R will win for sure. Simply because GOW is a more accessible title than hardcore Elden Ring and it will have quadripple sales compared to ER.

Chukhopops

If we're talking prominence then Bafta has the top spot as it awards reverberates across the EU.
Do you know what the B stands for?

Nothing British has reverberated across the EU since Oasis. It is literally not in the EU anymore and I’ve never seen anyone care about it in mainland Europe.

Chukhopops

After Returnal won best game at BAFTA, I know it's the only games award show to be taken seriously.
They have a diversity filter lmao:
In order to meet the standards, productions must demonstrate that they have worked to increase the representation of under-represented groups in two of the four following areas: On screen representation, themes and narratives. Project leadership and creative practitioners. Industry access and opportunities.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Gamers and journalists often banded together in websites and/or blogs giving the nod to a standout ip that released that year.
Right, but that was before games journalists became "journalists" and stopped rating games by their actual merits and instead just based on what agenda they can push with it.

As a result, the only relevant "awards" are those entirely voted on by gamers.
Steam Awards come to mind.

Anything with sponsors influencing the voting process and/or a very limited amount of individual "professionals" you can safely write off.

The only year where it felt odd was the year when there was almost a full sweep of awards for one game.

Eo_FrXxUYAARipr.jpg:large

What it also won that's not included in the pic: Best Art Direction, Best Soundtrack/Score, and Player's Voice. I like TLOU 2 but holy shit did it have some upsetting wins over other games in categories it shouldn't have been close to winning. That year felt like the biggest middle finger and complete waste of time to people who just wanted the fun of a regular awards show, and I'm hoping all parties involved never do that shit again. By all parties I truly mean everyone, reviewers and gamers alike, both using a video game to try and one-up one another or prove a point, because it became the most blatant at TGA. Other than that year, TGA has been alright to me.

H4ze

I have a lot of sympathie for Geoff ever since I saw him talking about Half-Life in the NoClip documentary but oh boy, I don't need to see the rock promoting his energy drink ever again. That shit haunts me.

I really don't care much about that goty stuff, I enjoy the shows but it's more because I enjoy watching stuff about games.

Jermare

Neo Member
I hate the majority of the categories. Every category except for GOTY should be a technical category. Genre categories suck. "Best Family game" and "Best Sports/Racing game" are laughable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Members of notoriously toxic community reacting disproportionally poor to something trivial is as old as videogaming itself.

Why not have the show in January 2023 and have the cut off date for the game of the year 2022 award set to the end of the year 2022?

What’s the deal??

Probably because that would mean work has to be done over the holiday just to meet that schedule. In addition to financial and marketing reasons.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
GOTY awards, just like review/MC scores are for console warriors and their imagineted wars. Change my mind.

Not entirely. That is a negative aspect of review/MC scores and GOTY, yes. Some people use it as ammo just like they do list wars or performance analysis. I don't think there is anything wrong being happy that a game receives praise though. And metacritic is a valuable buying guide more than it is a console war mechanism, imo. So no, I don't believe these things are inherently console war mechanisms. It is just a matter of how they are being used.

What’s the deal??

Because advertising revenue is at its peak in November and December and publishers want their nominated games to get sales boosts. I think this is why others view other award ceremonies that occur the year after, such as BAFTA and GDCA, are more legitimate.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Because advertising revenue is at its peak in November and December and publishers want their nominated games to get sales boosts. I think this is why others view other award ceremonies that occur the year after, such as BAFTA and GDCA, are more legitimate.
What about devs who actually realize that December is a month too?

Won’t be nominated if the games are released in December, or even late November. Even early Nov is kinda late since people need to have played the game to vote for it, I assume.

I don’t get how Halo Infinite could get the player’s choice award last year, cut off date was Nov 19th and it released Dec 8th.
Shouldn’t it be a 2022 game in Geoff’s strange world?
God of War Ragnarök vs Halo Infinite for GOTY 2022 😂

Shifty

but oh boy, I don't need to see the rock promoting his energy drink ever again. That shit haunts me.
Preach. Having him ramble for five minutes about getting it done, pushing the limit, and various other abstractions that tenuously bridge the gap between bodybuilding and video games was oof.

To memory, the only other time things got that bad was when EA wheeled out Péle to mumble a few sentences about 'Is futbol, is good' shilling FIFA a few years back. Dude only seemed to have a vague grasp of where he was or what he was doing :messenger_anguished:

Preach. Having him ramble for five minutes about getting it done, pushing the limit, and various other abstractions that tenuously bridge the gap between bodybuilding and video games was oof.

To memory, the only other time things got that bad was when EA wheeled out Péle to mumble a few sentences about 'Is futbol, is good' shilling FIFA a few years back. Dude only seemed to have a vague grasp of where he was or what he was doing :messenger_anguished:

You make it seem like they pumped Pele full of drugs and brought him in a wheelchair against his will.

😂

Top Bottom