• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley revealed the fickleness of GOTY awards with "some" gamers

GOTY

• Geoff Keighley's GOTY is the most important

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • GOTY is an accumilation of awards from respected organisations and sites

Votes: 79 82.3%

• Total voters

Fbh

The Keighley GOTY awards are the most viewed and anticipated awards show in gaming so it seems logical to me that some people would see them as the sort of "official" award.
The funny part is that Keighley made his show the most successful one by NOT focusing on the awards and instead making it all about reveals and announcements

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only one I pay attention to is GDC

Damn, TLoU2 really crushed it compared to all the accumulative years prior.

2020 Game Developers Choice Awards (US): Hades
2020 Game Developers Choice Awards (US, Readers' Choice): Ghost of Tsushima

cup of tea drinking GIF by WDR

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Pejo

All awards shows are just way for industries to self-fellate for a night. I have no problem with it, but people get too invested in it.

GotY games are almost always whoever spent the most on marketing budget. Rarely do you see games like Sekiro/It Takes Two winning, which was a nice surprise when it happened.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does not negate from the context of my comment. GoT was my personal GOTY too, unironically.

All GoTY awards are subjective and hold the same amount of clout anyway. There's hundreds of users on this forum who can't stand TloU 2 despite all the awards it won.

Folks be like that sometimes.

Topher

Gold Member
All GoTY awards are subjective and hold the same amount of clout anyway. There's hundreds of users on this forum who can't stand TloU 2 despite all the awards it won.

Folks be like that sometimes.

I don't think anyone has suggested that when a game wins GOTY that it is universally loved. But TLOU 2 certainly dominated the GOTY awards which goes to show that the hate is coming from a very loud vocal minority. That's fine too. Can't remember the last time a game got under people's skin like that one has.

I'd prefer one game award to stick out as the defacto game of the year. Like the Oscars. Whether you like it or bitch about the choice, like when Crash won best picture, it's fun to have a collective cultural event to talk about.

Madflavor

Damn, TLoU2 really crushed it compared to all the accumulative years prior. Not only publication, but readers as well.

Huh, the way some talk on here, it was the worst most hated game ever created.
Sci-Fi Wow GIF by MANGOTEETH

Couple of things to consider here though.

• The previous record holder was God of War in 2018, with 264 awards. The competition was stiffer in 2018 because God of War was going up against RDR2. Whereas in 2020 TLoU2 was competing mostly with GoT, which was a good game, but not on the level RDR2 was.
  • The number of GoTY awards continues to inflate within each passing year. I'm not sure what it takes to qualify to give out a GoTY award, but some of these awards came from small twitter accounts. As such, the record for "Most GotY awards" will always be broken at some point, regardless if the new record holder was better than the previous.
Case in point, until God of War: Ragnarok announced it's release date for 2022, it was pretty much a given that Elden Ring was going to break TLoU2's record. And that has nothing to do with which game is better. It's just that Elden Ring was massive, a critical darling, and had very little competition until now. Plus there's more GotY awards now than two years ago.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Couple of things to consider here though.

• The previous record holder was God of War in 2018, with 264 awards. The competition was stiffer in 2018 because God of War was going up against RDR2. Whereas in 2020 TLoU2 was competing mostly with GoT, which was a good game, but not on the level RDR2 was.
  • The number of GoTY awards continues to inflate within each passing year. I'm not sure what it takes to qualify to give out a GoTY award, but some of these awards came from small twitter accounts. As such, the record for "Most GotY awards" will always be broken at some point, regardless if the new record holder was better than the previous.
Case in point, until God of War: Ragnarok announced it's release date for 2022, it was pretty much a given that Elden Ring was going to break TLoU2's record. And that has nothing to do with which game is better. It's just that Elden Ring was massive, a critical darling, and had very little competition until now. Plus there's more GotY awards now than two years ago.
IDK, man. Stray is out in a few days!
Stray GIF by Annapurna Interactive

yurinka

These Doritos game awards for me are only another goty awards more like hundreds in the world. For me GOTY is the one that gets more goty awards across the world. See that website that counts hundreds of goty awards from all around the world. The only thing appealing from the Doritos game awards is that they have some cool announcements between a ton of hot garbage ads and embarassing PR "hey look how inclussive and good people we are" ads from awful, non-gaming corporations.

Last edited:

Pejo

I don't think anyone has suggested that when a game wins GOTY that it is universally loved. But TLOU 2 certainly dominated the GOTY awards which goes to show that the hate is coming from a very loud vocal minority. That's fine too. Can't remember the last time a game got under people's skin like that one has.
Most awards are decided on by a panel of judges/committee. Only the ones that say stuff like "Gamers Choice" or public votes or stuff like that are really voted on by the masses. A very small selection of GotY awards are decided by regular people.

Topher

Gold Member
Most awards are decided on by a panel of judges/committee. Only the ones that say stuff like "Gamers Choice" or public votes or stuff like that are really voted on by the masses. A very small selection of GotY awards are decided by regular people.

And TLOU 2 dominated reader's choice as well:

• The Last of Us Part II - 321
    • Media Outlets: 208 | Readers' Choice: 113
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 74
    • Media Outlets: 60 | Readers' Choice: 14
  • Hades - 70
    • Media Outlets: 64 | Readers' Choice: 6

Madflavor

I didn't like TLoU2, but to me it was game of the year. Putting aside any issues with the story, it's hard to argue against the technical achievement it was. The voice acting, visuals, accessibility, sound design, gameplay, it was all as good as it got at the time. It was an easy shoe in for GotY all things considered. But it's also a very story driven game, and that where the discourse was. You can dislike the story, or thought the story was just a 7.5 or 8/10, and still think TLoU2 was an easy GotY when you take into consideration everything else.

Last edited:

Pejo

And TLOU 2 dominated reader's choice as well:

• The Last of Us Part II- 321
    • Media Outlets: 208 | Readers' Choice: 113
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 74
    • Media Outlets: 60 | Readers' Choice: 14
  • Hades - 70
    • Media Outlets: 64 | Readers' Choice: 6
Yea 113 is no number to laugh at, for sure. Again, I don't put a lot of weight into these things, but I do like seeing community votes more than "expert panels" and stuff like that.

Madflavor

Call me crazy, but I personally think God of War winning 264 GotY awards in 2018 is a more impressive feat than TLoU2 winning 321. Again the competition was just much tougher in 2018. Yeah Ghost of Tsushima was good, but both God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 were absolute titans of video games. RDR2 won 178 GotY awards that year. For God of War to beat it out with 264, that's pretty impressive in context.

TLoU2 was an easy shoe in. But just like 2018, I think 2022 is gonna have a more interesting battle, because it's Elden Ring vs. GoW:R.

Lady Jane

Banned
Call me crazy, but I personally think God of War winning 264 GotY awards in 2018 is a more impressive feat than TLoU2 winning 321. Again the competition was just much tougher in 2018. Yeah Ghost of Tsushima was good, but both God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 were absolute titans of video games. RDR2 won 178 GotY awards that year. For God of War to beat it out with 264, that's pretty impressive in context.

TLoU2 was an easy shoe in. But just like 2018, I think 2022 is gonna have a more interesting battle, because it's Elden Ring vs. GoW:R.

Imagine if Starfield wasn't delayed...

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't like TLoU2, but to me it was game of the year. Putting aside any issues with the story, it's hard to argue against the technical achievement it was. The voice acting, visuals, accessibility, sound design, gameplay, it was all as good as it got at the time. It was an easy shoe in for GotY all things considered. But it's also a very story driven game, and that where the discourse was. You can dislike the story, or thought the story was just a 7.5 or 8/10, and still think TLoU2 was an easy GotY when you take into consideration everything else.

One of the more reasoned takes I've read from someone who disliked the game. I loved the game myself, but I can also understand how incredibly divisive the story was. I agree on the technical aspect. It was something to behold.

Imagine if Starfield wasn't delayed...

I don't think GAF would have survived.

atomic bomb explosion GIF
duck and cover documentary GIF by Kino Lorber

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is true as well. I could not decide between the two, even though RDR2 just edged it out for me, persoanlly based on time spent. GoW was fantastic in its own right as well.

Ozriel

M$FT
I get the impression that Keighley is attempting to be the "king" of video games media. When E3 announced the 2023 event, Keighly reminded everyone hours after of his Summer Games Fest which is clearly an opportunistic attempt to be the next E3 while E3 wasn't happening. He's desperate for the spotlight.

he does this all the time and it’s cringy as fuck. never fails to tweet about his own stuff not long after the official E3 handle posts anything.

Thief1987

Yes I view GOTY as more of the general consensus among well respected organizations, Keighley's included. It should never be taken as end all be all, and most sensible people understand this.
Well Keighley's TGA nominations, goty including, vote by most of the big notable outlets, so in a sense it's a consensus.

CamHostage

I didn't realize the fickleness of gamers in regards to GOTY awards and nominations...

Call me "old school" but GOTY, has always been an accumulation of awards from respected gaming collectives. Gamers and journalists often banded together in websites and/or blogs giving the nod to a standout ip that released that year. But recently, over the past year it seems Geoff Keighley's a ward show has become the only award "some" care about?

I'm old enough to remember Atari consoles, and I have never known "GOTY" as being an accumulation of awards from respected gaming collectives...

It's just the last award of the series from year-end lists by magazines or websites or critics; one award of many given out by that outlet. There is no single GotY, except in personal collections or forums where people collect up how many outlets they like or consider credible gave this or that their best-of award and tallied them all up. If you consider that to be official, then okay, but the Metacritic approach to fuzzy-math = accurate does not add up to there being an "official" Game of the Year.

If anybody has ever said in conversation, "...it won Game of the Year," there's no scenario where I would not have followed up by asking, "From whom?"

Some time in the 360/PS3 era, there started to be "Game of the Year Edition" releases that re-released games in new packaging with their DLC (this was in part because games expanded in that time thanks to downloadable content and sold well in final edition for easy store longevity,) but the actual designation of what was a "Game of the Year" that allowed a company to put out a Game of the Year Edition was always questionable.

...I'm also curious where you're seeing The Game Awards being cited as the definitive GOTYs? I never see it on like boxcovers or anywhere that popularly refers to awards. There are at least invited judges for TGAs, there's some circumstance of ruleset for it, but not much (some of the games aren't even out by the time judges need to submit,) and I rarely see anybody take the actual awards seriously after the show. That's certainly not what the vast percentage of the audience is tuning in for...

*BTW, is TGAs where that "Microsoft won Publisher of the Year 2021" thing came from that gets cited every time somebody gives the opinion that the Xbox slate is soft? I see this posted all the time, but never see anybody credit an actual outlet for awarding the company with that. Sure, MS Flight and FH5 were great, but people just post about "Publisher of the Year" as if there's an industry accolade printed in stone once a year, indeed the highest and most undisputable honor in the business... and I've never heard of it before now.

(EDIT - A Google search seems to say it's not a thing, unless you consider MetaCritic end-of-year awards as being real awards?)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
*BTW, is TGAs where that "Microsoft won Publisher of the Year 2021" thing came from that gets cited every time somebody gives the opinion that the Xbox slate is soft? I see this posted all the time, but never see anybody credit an actual outlet for awarding them that.
Nah, that is Metacritic, which was news to everyone that they ever even did that.

Banned
GOTY is a worthless award no matter how it is determined.
Geoff's is especially worthless tho as it's chosen by game journalists

Fredrik

Is this about the drama that Dorito's popo "moved' this year GOTY nomination cut off date just to ensure God Of War would be able to win, cof cof I mean, to ensure GoW would be eligible to enter this year?
What’s this nonsense?
Ragnarök comes out Nov 9th.

So Starfield would’ve missed the GOTY award for 2022 if it had released at 11.11.22?

Absolute stupidity.

If anything the cut off date should be after the year end. It is the game of the year award after all. Not the Nov to Nov award.

It’s absolutely hilarious that Halo Infinite is going to be eligible for GOTY 2022 since it released after the cut off date at Dec 8 2021. 🤣

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What’s this nonsense?
Ragnarök comes out Nov 9th.

So Starfield would’ve missed the GOTY award for 2022 if it had released at 11.11.22?

Absolute stupidity.

If anything the cut off date should be after the year end. It is the game of the year award after all. Not the Nov to Nov award.

It’s absolutely hilarious that Halo Infinite is going to be eligible for GOTY 2022 since it released after the cut off date at Dec 8 2021. 🤣

I'm not following this. What was the cutoff date supposedly moved to? Last year's cutoff date was November 19. So even if this year's cutoff date is the same as last years then GoW:R would still be eligible.

"Games eligible for The Game Awards this year must be available for public consumption on or before November 19, 2021. Titles that are released after this date will be eligible for The Game Awards ceremony in 2022. (Similarly, games that were released in December 2020 are first eligible for this year’s awards)."

What am I missing?

In a few words, do you mean that it is a show of low quality and credibility?

In Spanish: Como Los MTV Awards que son chafas.

I don't know about credibility...I will certainly not accuse Geoff and his team the way certain people do, out of spite and fanboyism. My comment was about the presentation/format/content...
The Bafta, for example, treat the ceremony in a professional manner, and we, as fans, want videogames to break free of the common perception and be regarded as a serious medium.

jigglet

Banned
He fronted his own cash to get the first one going right? I feel that gives him the right to run it however he wants.

mejin

GOTY is not appreciated by some people cause Sony games are the biggest Winner out there.

Anyway, what really bothers me are the games that disappoints me year after year. They are games that I wanted to play and are a piece of shit in the end.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not following this. What was the cutoff date supposedly moved to? Last year's cutoff date was November 19. So even if this year's cutoff date is the same as last years then GoW:R would still be eligible.

"Games eligible for The Game Awards this year must be available for public consumption on or before November 19, 2021. Titles that are released after this date will be eligible for The Game Awards ceremony in 2022. (Similarly, games that were released in December 2020 are first eligible for this year’s awards)."

What am I missing?
Fake news to manufacture mentally deficient drama.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

People also care about achievements and trophies in games... So not too surprised "people actually care about this shit" too.
Achievements and trophies are something players get for completing certain tasks. I don't personally care for them but yeah, some people fucking love it...

You know what those same people get out of Geoff Whatshisface awarding a game GOTY?

It ain't a sense of personal achievement.

Top Bottom