• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

Doesn't even the cheapest Radeon SKU have 80 shader units? That's almost double of amount that 360 has for fuck sakes.

I know AMD switched to simpler shader units compared to nVidia, but they gotta be at least comparable to what's in 7 year old console, right?

edit: oh shit, I just realized that IGP Radeons has like 40 shader units. Nintendo went with fucking IGP Radeon set up, lol.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The PS3/Vita statement should be enough for people to realize this probably isn't true. Lag-free is one of the Wii U's selling points.

Please, play remote play on your Vita and tell me how "lag-free" it is.

Spoiler alert: It's terrible. Most games are awful. Bionic Commando:Rearmed (one of the few PSN games that actually works with it) is basically unplayable.

The Vita/PS3 combo is terrible.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the 3DS was more powerful than the PSP but less than the Vita. Probably some where in that window? Though I still think the "power" argument is a foolish one. What I saw looked fun.
Don't you read Eurogamer? The 3DS on Dreamcast level.

The PS3/Vita statement should be enough for people to realize this probably isn't true. Lag-free is one of the Wii U's selling points.

Please, play remote play on your Vita and tell me how "lag-free" it is.

Spoiler alert: It's terrible. Most games are awful. Bionic Commando:Rearmed (one of the few PSN games that actually works with it) is basically unplayable.
This is true, but you have yet to see how the Wii U performs!

Levyne

Banned
As long as the games are fun I don't really care how many pixels it pushes. (well, I mean, it's not like I DONT want it to me more powerful)

If I really want a technologically impressive type of game I'll just play on my pc.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If its so underpowered they Vetter have a fantastic launch lineup or this system will fail and won't be supported.

PC Gaming and handhelds will keep me busy no matter what.

It's been years since I looked forward to an E3 as much as this one.

LOL Yes.
Nintendo comes out and the games look marginally better than the 360/PS3? lolz
Nintendo comes out and the games blow away anything on current hardware? lolz
Nintendo keeps friend codes? lolz
Nintendo gets rid of friend codes? lolz

Sony announces PS4? omg
Sony doesn't announce PS4? omg no PS4 until 2014!
Sony announces Uncharted 45? lolz
Sony reveals Vita hardare sales? lolz
Sony doesn't mention Vita hardware sales? lolz

Microsoft announces NextBox? omg
Microsoft doesn't announce NextBox? omg no
Microsoft announces more Kinectanimalswithkungfumoves
Microsoft announces W7 phones something something

No matter what it will be entertaining.

Of course it's going to be stronger. But even after its release, such comments will keep poping up nevertheless. Many people were also dead serious calling out Wii games for ,,lol N64 graphics!!'' when they were only on a high PS2 level.

Sean

Banned
So either multiple sources are in cahoots to feed this guy the same fake story or GI International/Eurogamer are publishing a story totally fabricated inhouse that could be totally discredited at E3 if not sooner, if its not true. Why would do they do that to their reputation?

Because no one really remembers any of this crap months later.

If this somehow ends up being true GI.biz can say "Told you so", if it ends up being false they can claim that the hardware was still in development and specs have improved or whatever.

fernoca

By the way, how many shaders does the 360 have? 10?
So if the Wii U has less, it means it has..9?
9 is not that much less, but the developer makes it sound like...5?

:p

Red UFO

I usually like GI.biz but the fact they published this is ridiculous. As many have pointed out, "the graphics aren't as powerful' and 'their aren't as many shaders' aren't meaningful statements and really can't be trusted as insight into the hardware of the Wii U.

Looks like I'll be deleting that bookmark.

bananas

Banned
No, real-time, 720p 30fps no AA

REAL-TIME dude.

G1PfZ.gif

REAL-TIME dude!

And I think Super Mario Galaxy looks better than 95% of PS3 and 360 games. What's your point?

No way in hell SMG looks better than 95% of PS3 games: not in image quality, not on texture detail,... basically in everthing that PS3/360 does much better than Wii.

Another question is that ARTISTICALLY may look better.

Also remember when we thought Revolution couldn't be less powerful than the Xbox/GC and PS2? lol

Shion

For me (and I'm probably the only one here on gaf), the less powerful the better. I don't want to pay over 300 bucks to play nintendo games.

You can always wait for a price drop if you want.

I really missed seeing Nintendo games being on par with the industry standards in terms of graphics. I don't want another console that will make me say "Damn, imagine how Metroid Prime would be if it was released on a next-gen hardware".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It was 1 room where you could move the camera and press a button to turn "day" to "night" which wasn't really all that impressive.

When you break that demo down... look at this pic.

zelda_wallpaper___wiiu_demo___by_andrelevydeoliveira-d47yiws.jpg

Look how flat Link is in the face and his clothing. It's just a simple model with a not even all that great ie worse than Mass Effect texture on it. The demo was really nothing impressive, unless your opinion is formed from a "I've never played anything but Nintendo consoles before" point of view. The little drops of light particles from the fairy were nice though.

I mean this was their big debut tech demo, and when you really look at it aside from the particles it looked just like if not worse in some aspects than current gen games.

Let's compare a cartoony style'd tech demo with a game that wants to look realistic. HURRRRR.

Orayn

No way in hell SMG looks better than 95% of PS3 games: not in image quality, not on texture detail,... basically in everthing that PS3/360 does much better than Wii.

Another question is that ARTISTICALLY may look better.

Yeah. The artistic side of the game's appearance is where I derive the meaning of "better." My point was that an individual's subjective opinion of whether a game looks better or worse doesn't mean anything when it comes to comparing hardware power.

Imo that is not as impressive as some of the best we've seen from the current gen consoles. But it is hard to judge from a GIF.

Yup. Not saying this article is accurate (I'd bet against it, personally) but there's nothing there that couldn't be done on PS3 or X360. There are even some moments in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls that are more impressive, and those two aren't really pinnacles of graphical prowess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i just hope they upgrade the graphics cards to include adult shaders cos the past nintendo consoles they always pick the kiddy shaders it makes the games look so kiddy i hate it they need ps3 or xbox shaders instead

I actually knew a guy who argued Resident Evil 4 on my GameCube was 'cheating' to look as good as it did, because the hardware normally renders games looking more 'kiddy'.

This is off topic.

wsippel

Banned
I mean this was their big debut tech demo, and when you really look at it aside from the particles it looked just like if not worse in some aspects than current gen games.
Wrong. Japanese Garden was the actual tech demo. That was a Zelda teaser (and the lighting and shadows are still beyond current gen).

magash

i just hope they upgrade the graphics cards to include adult shaders cos the past nintendo consoles they always pick the kiddy shaders it makes the games look so kiddy i hate it they need ps3 or xbox shaders instead

I actually knew a guy who argued Resident Evil 4 on my GameCube was 'cheating' to look as good as it did, because the hardware normally renders games looking more 'kiddy'.

This is off topic.

LMFAO...you made me spill my drink.

Theonik

But does it have blast processing?
Edit:

This is off topic.
Almost choked on my food. I hope you're glad, almost killed me there. How can a person know about shaders and say stupid shit like that anyway.

I heard from someone that the Wii U is really just a repackaged Atari 2600.

This is off topic.

He sounds amazing.

By the way, how many shaders does the 360 have? 10?
So if the Wii U has less, it means it has..9?
9 is not that much less, but the developer makes it sound like...5?

:p
Kidding aside, your ratio ain't far if Nintendo is using IGP Radeon set up:

360: 48 shaders
Wii U: 40 shaders?

wsippel

Banned

This is off topic.
Yeah, I think we're done here. lol

Top Bottom