• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
EwuAmIc.png
This is what causes nightmares....

pizzacat

Banned
We Talk Over the Sony E3 2016 Press Conference

Oh god, I'm so excited for E3 this year. Gonna watch some of last years conferences with the boys to hold me over. I watched last years show(s) in 360p, shitty 3G quality and it still was an amazing time!

Edit: What's up with the dislikes on the Sony presser video I linked

surprisingly its sony people not liking the fact that gb wasnt eatting sonys orchestra produced slop

I still don't know what Jeff was talking about with his criticisms of Sony's press conference.

I think Jeff wanted more or what most people don't want i.e.: guys coming on stage to talk about games and the platform, to give it a "story" or something like that. Whereas Nintendo and Sony realized people really only care about game announcements and seeing some footage.

Ashby

I think Jeff wanted more or what most people don't want i.e.: guys coming on stage to talk about games and the platform, to give it a "story" or something like that. Whereas Nintendo and Sony realized people really only care about game announcements and seeing some footage.

Yeah, it was a real inside baseball reaction on his part.

Hindl

Oh god, I'm so excited for E3 this year. Gonna watch some of last years conferences with the boys to hold me over. I watched last years show(s) in 360p, shitty 3G quality and it still was an amazing time!

People weren't happy about their lukewarm response to the conference. That's nothing compared to 2015 though, where they were mostly eh about the TLG/FFVIIR/Shenmue III trifecta

Tagyhag

If you're not crying and thanking Sony for their conferences you're considered either jaded or a fanboy.

Gonna bet it's going to be the same this year. :p

People weren't happy about their lukewarm response to the conference. That's nothing compared to 2015 though, where they were mostly eh about the TLG/FFVIIR/Shenmue III trifecta

Reaction to 2015 was silly considering how into Horizon they were. And I mean, two years later and we have 1/3 of those; that said, I really liked TLG.

I get the confusion about their response to 2016. Sony used to be the worst about showing stats and sales figures for most of their conference. Last year they started out with new God of War gameplay and kept on going with game after game. Again, I think they wanted more "great job, Jeremy" moments or something. I prefer the style last year and Nintendo Directs where they cut out the nonsense.

I'm curious how long all of us here have been following Giant Bomb personalities.

Gamespot era?
San Fransisco Basement?
Whiskey Media time line? (The Golden Years)
CBS All Access era?
videogames.com

Me personally, I've been following the duders since the gamespot days.

Gamespot era. Loved to watch On The Spot with Rich Gallup, Jeff Gerstmann and Greg Kasavin when they were on. This is bringing me back. Good times.

I've been watching Giant Bomb since only three years ago. Watched some videos and decided to buy premium. And now I can't stop.

My only beef with the GB E3 takes was when Austin was making a point that "sony had new stuff with Horizon, current stuff with COD and Uncharged, nostalgic stuff with FF7 and Shenmue and new weird stuff with dreams and random indie stuff" while also arguing they didnt have a rounded show that catered to different audiences.

Not gonna miss that guy for those post E3 show segments. He kinda sucked at in the moment critical analysis.

Edit. Oh shit didnt realise the big Destiny 2 gameplay thing is next week. Cool?

GBE's play date was good fun. I know it's the same old games again, but they do provide good content.

Abby seems cool. Needs to get a bit more comfortable/knowledgeable about games (she was looking at the controller with each move in Mount Your Friends because she didn't know the buttons) but other than that I like her. Drew kinda had the same game issues when he first joined so I ain't worried.

She isn't making them play hours of fighting games so she's already better than Ben.

Skyzard

Banned
Ben rules, Abby is a bit boring so far but it's still early. Though I haven't heard the cast yet, just the GBE playdate.

Didn't know Austin and Patrick were doing PUBG games, gonna check those out.

Ben rules, Abby is a bit boring so far but it's still early. Though I haven't heard the cast yet, just the GBE playdate.

I'm watching the first one now too because of Alex mentioning it. It's a car crash, a beautiful car crash. Worth the watch.

Nintendo Switch buying update.

I did order a copy of Zelda with mine but it looks like I can get it $10 cheaper by going to the store so I guess I am going to be one of those assholes who buys a game before they even have a console.

faridmon

She is new to a whole new crazy nerdy environment. She must be feeling overwhelmed.

TraBuch

Banned
GBE's play date was good fun. I know it's the same old games again, but they do provide good content.

Abby seems cool. Needs to get a bit more comfortable/knowledgeable about games (she was looking at the controller with each move in Mount Your Friends because she didn't know the buttons) but other than that I like her. Drew kinda had the same game issues when he first joined so I ain't worried.

She isn't making them play hours of fighting games so she's already better than Ben.
I still look at the buttons on Xbox controllers, too. And I haven't touched a Nintendo controller in a decade so I couldn't even tell you where any of the face buttons are located there, either.

pizzacat

Banned
I really need to know what fighting game it was and how badly the people who dislike them so much they can't even watch GB play them got beat in said fighting game?

Like are we talking free, omega free? How bad was it?

Is it a losing thing? Or something else?

I really need to know what fighting game it was and how badly the people who dislike them so much they can't even watch GB play them got beat in said fighting game?

Like are we talking free, omega free? How bad was it?

Is it a losing thing? Or something else?

If that's a genuine question, they're boring as fuck to watch. Probably the only more boring genres is strategy and card games.

Hindl

No one should speak on a stage during a video game press conference. Everything uttered about vision or whatever is bullshit. Just show the games.
Disagree. Unless you have actual gameplay, if you're showing a CG trailer you need someone on stage to tell you what the actual game is like

uh... I liked listening to Carmack talking about Quake.
Way better than CGI Trailers that are going to be released in 2 years.

Keynote speeches are fine. Marketing man coming out and trying to spin some yarn about whatever is not.

Not even Pelé?

EA is the worst.

But the talking part is what gives us the best giantbomb reactions.

That's true, but they can adapt.

Disagree. Unless you have actual gameplay, if you're showing a CG trailer you need someone on stage to tell you what the actual game is like

If a CG trailer fails to demonstrate or at least hint at what a game is, then it's a bad trailer and shouldn't be shown. Do you even care what someone has to say about their dumb, vague CG trailer?

Might as well just put it up on youtube instead of spending money on a big stage.

Now you're getting it.

Hindl

Keynote speeches are fine. Marketing man coming out and trying to spin some yarn about whatever is not.

EA is the worst.

That's true, but they can adapt.

If a CG trailer fails to demonstrate or at least hint at what a game is, then it's a bad trailer and shouldn't be shown. Do you even care what someone has to say about their dumb, vague CG trailer?

Now you're getting it.
No I don't care about the trailer, I care about the game. And given that about half the conference is going to be CG trailers, I want someone to explain what the game is. CG trailers are bad, but they'll be at the conference regardless. So I'd rather have someone give context than just throw up a CG trailer with no explanation

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No I don't care about the trailer, I care about the game. And given that about half the conference is going to be CG trailers, I want someone to explain what the game is. CG trailers are bad, but they'll be at the conference regardless. So I'd rather have someone give context than just throw up a CG trailer with no explanation

Not that the explanation helps most of the time.

Despite having owned it for a while on PC when it was still early access, I purchased Kerbal Space Program for PS4 (it's available during the current Flash Sale for $15.99, where it's typically $39.99). To me, It's as good as the PC version, but a tad clunkier with the controller (wish there was KB&M options as PS4 has support for it). Anyhoo, having said that last bit, I think this game (PS4 version in particular) would be a perfect game for second screen capabilities. Say, on an iPad or something, you can have the map up, so you can keep the main screen focused on the rocket itself, while using the map to see how the rocket's trajectory is looking.

BRING BACK PROJECT B.E.A.S.T.! :(

CG don't seem to happen as often these days at the main showings (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft). Well, it's all CG. But you get what I mean.

Ubisoft technically shows "gameplay" and EA is EA. Bethesda seems OK.

Just finished the GBE Megadate -- Abby is great and Mount Your Friends is great! Ranch soda is very bad. Don't know if it's possible server-wise, but if it is, I'd love to see an East vs. West Battlegrounds match.

BRING BACK PROJECT B.E.A.S.T.! :(

Was recently thinking about re-watching that... I hope they continue with a Mars mission at some point.

Man what great content Saturn stream, megadate and upf all were super.

Ben and Abby are awesome.

Also Dan crossed some lines making Vinny drink that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom