• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Rodin

Good thing i didn't buy the current model yet. I wonder if ND will patch U4 to run at 60fps on the NEO model or if the CPU will be a bottleneck.

I would have liked the Jaguars to be clocked at 3.2 GHz and the GPU frequency clocked at 1200MHz. That additional RAM, does it suggest EDRAM? The bandwidth difference definitely suggests that, or perhaps they anticipate a further reduction to the OS footprint at the time of the NEO's release.
It's a typo, PS4 is 176GB/s.

paulogy

Okay, this sounds a lot more like what I expected.

The commitment to keeping ALL PS4 games compatible on both systems, with only cosmetic upgrades for NEO Mode (and not new gameplay features, or entire games) is key, and I hope they stick with that. Otherwise some of the goodwill they've managed with the PS4 so far may start to erode.

2 thoughts.

1. Would the NEO version only really have resolution and framerate improvements. Can't imagine there would be new textures or assets on the same disc.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

2. Can't imagine this sentiment lasts more than a year or two. Prices will be down so that most everyone will transition.

Hexa

actually it says they want to keep the 2 CONNECTED and prevent devs from separating the online communities... Doesn't mean that they'll prevent 3rd party from going ps4 neo only, but who knows

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4. That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance. But again, don't expect those differences to transfer to online modes.

Adnor

Banned
So if the Neo will improve performance, won't that put PS4 users at a disadvantage in competitive online games?

Yes, but not has big as some people expect. PC gaming has online multiplayer with different specs since forever and it's not really a problem.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So basically my PC will still dance around the PS4.

Edit: To not sound so shitpost-y, my PC isn't the best and I was worried that the spec bump might make it not able to play newer games as well. It's a budget rig :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It makes little sense to think that publishers aren't going to prioritize on the standard PS4 version considering the massive install base. They're not idiots.

There was 10x more last gen systems out when we got hit with all the cross-gen games when the PS4/Bone gen began. Take a look at how garbage the last gen versions were optimized.

AwRy108

The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

I hate this. If I wanted to join the technological power rat race I'd just get into PC gaming.

Let's be honest about the technology age we live in: in order to get 7-8 years out of one console, it'd have to cost $600-$800 out of the gate, which nobody would buy into. SONY has a business to run, and it won't go to well for the PlayStation division if they try to stretch a $400 piece of tech out for 8 years--that's simply not the world we live in anymore.

Toparaman

Banned
My man Austin with the hot scoops.

If this means regular-PS4 games at 30 fps will be 60fps on NEO, I'm on board for sure. But if we're talking "this game that runs kinda shitty on normal PS4s runs at stable 30 on NEO", fuck that. Stable 30 on regular PS4 is not too much to ask for.

SheHateMe

Well, GAF, I'm all in.

Just did the budget; saving $50 a month allows me to purchase it in December (if it releases around then) and I can give my PS4 to my younger brother, who is still rocking a PS3.

I'm not sour about it, not even a little bit. Shit happens. At this point, you'd be better off continuing to enjoy the PS4 or start saving for NEO.

The announcement of NEO should NOT spoil the fun you've had (and will continue to have) with the PS4. Everything eventually gets an upgrade: this is like saying you were mad when you bought a (insert electronic device) and then 2, almost 3 years later, announce the successor to your device.

Pay for it. Or not. Either or, life moves forward.

So if the Neo will improve performance, won't that put PS4 users at a disadvantage in competitive online games?

Once again, not in any impactful way. Your tv's lag, the difference in internet lag, etc all impact competitive online games much more. The performance difference would have to be 30fps -> 90fps before lag caused by framerate differences impacts competitive performance more than networking.

I'm really underwhelmed by those specs. Perhaps I shouldn't have expected something more substantial considering the price range needs to be kept low.

As others have said, that CPU WILL continue to be a bottleneck.

I genuinely think people who want to hold on to their PS4s for a few more years will be fine. Between the significant but ultimately incremental jump in spec, Sony's directive not to split the communities, and the likely hesitation on the part of third-party devs to embrace Neo fully unless and until the console sees significant market penetration, it seems pretty clear that many companies will continue to target the PS4/Xbox One as a primary or first spec. There are too many people with PS4s to simply ignore them with crappy backport-level performance, at least not yet.

I'm still undecided on how long Sony would stick to "no Neo-only games" as a rule. I think Sony will sunset the PS4 before the Neo, which would be an obvious time to stop making games that support the PS4. At the same time, there's a certain value in having all games on the platform work on all devices. I think there's a possibility the rule will be rescinded after a few years, though.

IF this happens then day fucking 0.

Same for Dark Souls 3.

Then I just need a Demons/DK1 remaster and I can die happy.

I doubt this will happen. Don't you need double the power to render twice the frames? It doesn't appear to be a big deal tbh. Seems like a marginal improvement. I'm actually disappointed that the slow ass SATA 2 is staying

So developers "must" support NEO mode? They can't just make a base PS4 game with no modifications and have it run on NEO?

I think by "support" they mean it needs to run on the NEO

SerTapTap

Am I missing something or is that one tame-ass "upgrade"? Like, 30 FPS instead of 25FPS not 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS.I don't even see the point, should be media-only if it's going to be so minor.

This doesn't seem to be made for the focus of VR as others had speculated:

PS4 Base and NEO versions of a game will also need to have parity with regard to peripheral support. So don’t expect NEO Games to have exclusive VR modes. Sony makes no mention of PlayStation VR in the docs we've seen, so it's hard to know what that means for the persistent rumors that this upgraded PS4 will be able to support PSVR without the "breakout box" that the headset ships with. That said, so long as the NEO's upgrades apply to PSVR games, developers should be able to get even more performance out of Sony's VR headset.

SeanR1221

Sony seems to be handling this in a very easy, sensible way.

The final true test will be if devs make a great NEO version and shit out an OG PS4 version, but that remains to be seen.

I'll definitely scoop one, but I also had no problems buying a 360/ps3 slim when they came out.

this doesnt sound like the jump I had hoped for.

Graphics guys, how big of a difference in graphics can we expect or is the jump so small that we only will see better frame rate?

There was 10x more last gen systems out when we got hit with all the cross-gen games when the PS4/Bone gen began. Take a look at how garbage the last gen versions were optimized.
But Sony will incentivise good OG PS4 optimisation so that people can still get a good experience and won't feel the need to upgrade!

A sound business strategy when you have a new product!

Am I missing something or is that one tame-ass "upgrade"? Like, 30 FPS instead of 25FPS not 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS.I don't even see the point, should be media-only if it's going to be so minor.

My guess is they wanted to release a new box to push with their 4K TVs and thought "hey we can boost the power a bit while we're at it so why not"

Vena

I would have liked the Jaguars to be clocked at 3.2 GHz and the GPU frequency clocked at 1200MHz. That additional RAM, does it suggest EDRAM? The bandwidth difference definitely suggests that, or perhaps they anticipate a further reduction to the OS footprint at the time of the NEO's release.

I don't think Jags can even clock that high and be stable without also causing incredible heating. The poor IPC of the Jaguars also gives you very limited returns on just increasing the clockspeed, you'd need to upgrade to the next generation (or two) of the cat family to solve the problems of the Jaguar CPU.

This console is basically an overclocked system. It will have all the same problems as the original too, since it was apparently not addressed at all.

So basically any game coming out fall 2016 or later will at least take *some* advantage of the Neo, though I'd imagine we won't see too much effort put into it unless it's really easy to get significant gains.

Constant amount of RAM seems a little weird, but from what little I know of game dev I'd imagine that the idea there is that it would be difficult to actually utilize more RAM without diverging the PS4 and Neo builds too much? I mean I would imagine that coding your game around varying amounts of GPU/CPU muscle would be way easier than coding your game around varying amounts of RAM, at any rate.

Servbot24

Banned
This is terrible though. I hope incremental upgrade doesn't become a thing with consoles but who am I kidding, it will be because if you want the best of the best when it comes to consoles, you're going with the best. I do have a PC as well but I'm talking about when you want to play the best looking version of a exclusive console game.

I don't really get what's terrible. Even if you decide to keep your regular PS4, you are losing absolutely nothing. Those who want PS4k now have that option too.

You can't live your life in a constant state of envy and feeling inadequacy just because you perceive someone else to have a little bit nicer gadgets than you. No matter how far you go in life, there will always be someone with more material wealth. You need to learn contentment or you'll always be miserable.

Boke1879

some of the hyperbole "hey to 15fps for the base game" It's clear based on this the OG PS4 will be the base and the Neo version will have some minor performance upgrades. This is mostly about getting 4k out the door.

Some of you act like your old PS4 is now completely useless.

Pretty much. This gen is JUST getting started and we're seeing some really nice, well optimised titles for PS4/XB1. I really think this will impact PS4 momentum.

This gen will already be 3 years by the time this systems come out .
Also what are these well optimised titles unless you only counting first party stuff .
As time goes on we were going to see drop in PS4\X1 games either way .

paulogy

1. Would the NEO version only really have resolution and framerate improvements. Can't imagine there would be new textures or assets on the same disc.

Different textures and assets, probably not. But I could see the NEO mode using more sophisticated lighting models, physics, particle effects and impacts to non-essential things like enemy death animations, blood splatter, etc.

Hexa

"Neo Mode" better mean 1080p/60fps for every fucking game! No more bullshit. this should have been the standard for the reg PS4.

Still not powerful enough for 60 fps for most games already unfortunately. More like more solid performance. Definitely enough to push it to 1080p though. However, the GPU/CPU imbalance getting even wider from already pretty wide either means they're pushing GPGPU even harder for traditionally CPU tasks, or they're expecting devs to increase the fidelity of other visual effects over other areas.
I wish it had a better CPU tbh, but I guess they wanted to keep $399.

Top Bottom