• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

They'll be happily playing their ps4
i don't think you'll be able me if 40 million people are going to remain happy about this.
Their reaction will be:
1) Nice. Gonna sell my OG PS4 & buy the PS4K (me)
2) Meh. I'm satisfied with my OG PS4. (others).
or 3) will quit console gaming. there have been a lot people
You're looking at them.
i'm looking at one of them, not all of them.
Some will be disappointed but if you like new toys you'll be no doubt be excited and i'm thankful Sony are taking a risk here.
I think it'll be more than some yo. but we'll see.

viHuGi

Banned
GAF logic 101.

PS4 is too weak can't run games at 1080p 60fps, what a piece of shit. I'll buy $350 GPU for my PC fuck PS4.

PS4K Rumour, Wtf! why are the releasing a stronger PS4? now my OG PS4 is shit, fuck you Sony I'm done with console gaming. I'll just buy a $350 GPU for my PC instead fuck PS4K.

My reaction

Cant wait for Ps4 to reach 100m and see the reactions, it wont take long now and with this version Sales will explode since some Pc users will now buy Ps4K, already seeing them here waiting for pre order just for hearing about specs, Ps4 will go down in history.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So PS4K had a minimum spec to pass QA cert that is same framerate/res or higher than PSPoor.

Does this mean PSPoor will also have a minimum spec?

What's to keep PSPoor games from being throwaway ports with terrible performance to hit the PS4K requirement?

That seems to be the rub for me. OG games from multiple publishers already have trouble keeping resolution or stable framerates. What's going to keep these from dropping off the cliff? What's the incentive to provide better than just "good enough"?

What is a PSPoor?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The messaging for this thing is getting out of control. Lots of misunderstandings going on. Sony ought to get on top of that ASAP before it's too late to convince anyone that their wrong assumptions are contrary to reality.

viHuGi

Banned
i don't think you'll be able me if 40 million people are going to remain happy about this.

or 3) will quit console gaming. there have been a lot people

i'm looking at one of them, not all of them.
I think it'll be more than some yo. but we'll see.

Yeah like 3 people on Gaf? You realize that one/two/three Cod Youtube Video from Ali A has like 10m views in a couple of days from Ps4/Xbox One users? Gaf is a minority it means nothing what people here are saying about leaving Console space since many more will join ;) Remember Kinect before launch on 360? Major success right? What about Wii? Yeah

If you want to leave, do it.

I´m pretty happy Console gaming is moving and try to capture a bigger audience from people who care about Specs and stuff and will remain cheap and affordable for the majority of the mass market (249/299e).

thelastword

Banned
GAF logic 101.

PS4 is too weak can't run games at 1080p 60fps, what a piece of shit. I'll buy $350 GPU for my PC fuck PS4.

PS4K Rumour, Wtf! why are the releasing a stronger PS4? now my OG PS4 is shit, fuck you Sony I'm done with console gaming. I'll just buy a $350 GPU for my PC instead fuck PS4K.

My reaction
Succinct......

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It is too much to ask given the current technology. We're looking at a perf per watt of 3x at most between the GCN in Xb1 ps4 and GCN 1.3. Zen is 2x max over Jaguar.

The only way were getting the jump you want is double the tdp of the current consoles.

220 / 240 watt consoles.

You're asking for 10 to 14 teraflop consoles. Thats PS5.
:(
Damn these expectations. Would you say it would be unrealistic to expect a 20TF PS5 around 2020?

Ishida

Banned
Vanilla PS4 is my last Sony purchase. I won't support a company that does this to the console market.

tumblr_m7ovovnnyb1qz4ak4o1_500.jpg

Sony releases a better version of their widely successful console.
o_O? why?

Also I am wondering how even sony execs don't know much to anything about this yet all the outside sources seem to have a break down of internal specs....
I am smelling clickbait bonanza

You lost the war you were waging. Accept like your battle buddy already did.

viHuGi

Banned
So PS4K had a minimum spec to pass QA cert that is same framerate/res or higher than PSPoor.

Does this mean PSPoor will also have a minimum spec?

What's to keep PSPoor games from being throwaway ports with terrible performance to hit the PS4K requirement?

That seems to be the rub for me. OG games from multiple publishers already have trouble keeping resolution or stable framerates. What's going to keep these from dropping off the cliff? What's the incentive to provide better than just "good enough"?

oh man im dying PsPoor hahah classic

Mindlog

Others will jump in. People will go, people will come. Balance.
Balance is Vita.

I don't know for certain where this is going, but it would be pretty interesting if the ability to maintain decent margins on hardware leads to others introducing an open standard. Perhaps companies can finally succeed where 3DO failed.

It is too much to ask given the current technology. We're looking at a perf per watt of 3x at most between the GCN in Xb1 ps4 and GCN 1.3. Zen is 2x max over Jaguar.

The only way were getting the jump you want is double the tdp of the current consoles.

220 / 240 watt consoles.

You're asking for 10 to 14 teraflop consoles. Thats PS5.

Also have to keep in mind the price of hardware thats approaching double digit teraflops. The AMD Radeon Pro Duo will retail for 1500 USD and is a 16 Tflop component. So not only are we looking at more power consumption, more heat, but we're also looking at huge jump in price.

Edit: As a PC and PS4 gamer I am selling my PS4 this weekend in anticipation for this.

Bumhead

Banned
yeah like 3 people on Gaf? You realize that one/two/three Cod Youtube Video from Ali A has like 10m views in a couple of days from Ps4/Xbox One users? Gaf is a minority it means nothing what people here are saying about leaving Console space since many more will join ;) Remember Kinect before launch on 360? Major success right? What about Wii? Yeah

I´m pretty happy Console gaming is moving and try to capture a bigger audience from people who care about Specs and stuff and will remain cheap and affordable for the majority of the mass market (249/299e).

It's amazing how many people fail to recognise this.

I love NeoGAF, its members and its sense of community, but its a hilariously tiny vacuum of the Internet and many of its users are frequently straight up wrong about anything regarding mass market trends and behaviours.

"I'm quitting console gaming!" is absolutely not going to be a mass market reaction to this product. I bet it's not even close to being the majority consensus on here.

Yeah like 3 people on Gaf? You realize that one/two/three Cod Youtube Video from Ali A has like 10m views in a couple of days from Ps4/Xbox One users? Gaf is a minority it means nothing what people here are saying about leaving Console space since many more will join ;) Remember Kinect before launch on 360? Major success right? What about Wii? Yeah

fair enough, we'll see.
Others will jump in. People will go, people will come. Balance.
i think the reaction will be interesting, and will be a turning point for the console industry.

I think even with a modest trade in program I would jump in. That is enough of a bump that I would upgrade. With Vive and Oculus dust starting to settle, I am pretty happy to wait until there is gen 2 talk of each headset before I dump a bunch of money into a PC upgrade for VR specs. Seems like sony is being smart with not completely dividing the user base. It is going to be interesting to see what existing games hit 60fps via patches once this thing drops.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's amazing how many people fail to recognise this.

I love NeoGAF, its members and its sense of community, but its a hilariously tiny vacuum of the Internet and many of its users are frequently straight up wrong about anything regarding mass market trends and behaviours.

"I'm quitting console gaming!" is absolutely not going to be a mass market reaction to this product. I bet it's not even close to being the majority consensus on here.

Not even close to being close, lol.

I bet it is in the same percentile that people with GAF accounts are compared to the general gaming populace not roaming message boards, lol. That .0001%

gamerMan

I did not even have the Wii U that long. I loved it, but bailed because I knew it was dead. And again, at least the NX is actually a new system and not just an upgraded Wii U. As such, it's the only new hardware I am excited to see.

I am in the same boat. There were hardly any exclusive games on the PS4 and they want you to buy a new one without satisfying me on the old one. That's crazy but I am not who they are marketing this to.

On the consumer side, there are people happy with the PS4 and are willing to upgrade. I've always felt that the PS4 was a stripped down system that Sony never wanted to bring to the market. But that's actually the reason, it did well because of the price. Sony is a business so if they can sell 35 million people to buy a new PS4 without showing any exclusive games, more power to them. I only want to see an upgraded Uncharted 4.

Also with these specs, we aren't going to see 4K gaming anytime soon. Right now even a capable $2K PC can't handle 4K gaming with all the effects turned on.

I can only think of the nightmare this will cause on the developer side as developers are forced to target the minimum spec. This is going to be a mess and I hope that 3rd party developers don't abandon the console or have strained relationships with Sony because of this. Much of the Playstation business is driven by 3rd parties. I hope we see more developers speak out as this can't be fun.

Muzicfreq

Banned
The major issue here for people like me and leaving would be trust issues.

Many people buy consoles in the hopes to have a good cycle where there's no upgrades and split communities due to various configs.

Releasing this is more bad than good for the PS5 whenever that comes out. who's going to buy a launch ps5 when a PS5.5 might be just around the corner?

Also another thing to note is how is multiplayer games going to work? If they downgrade multiplayer on the PSNeo for even playing ground with OG PS4 then people will bitch moan and complain that OG PS4 is holding back the PS Neo.
And if they didn't bring it down to the same level then there's a split for people playing with higher FPS and resolution. That would cause the OG PS4 to be at a disadvantage.

I am in the same boat. There were hardly any exclusive games on the PS4 and they want you to buy a new one without satisfying me on the old one. That's crazy but I am not who they are marketing this to.

On the consumer side, there are people happy with the PS4 and are willing to upgrade. I've always felt that the PS4 was a stripped down system that Sony never wanted to bring to the market. But that's actually the reason, it did well because of the price. Sony is a business so if they can sell 35 million people to buy a new PS4 without showing any exclusive games, more power to them. I only want to see an upgraded Uncharted 4.

Also with these specs, we aren't going to see 4K gaming anytime soon. Right now even a capable $2K PC can't handle 4K gaming with all the effects turned on.

I can only think of the nightmare this will cause on the developer side as developers are forced to target the minimum spec. This is going to be a mess and I hope that 3rd party developers don't abandon the console or have strained relationships with Sony because of this. Much of the Playstation business is driven by 3rd parties. I hope we see more developers speak out as this can't be fun.

If you're not satisfied with ps4 you're not gonna be satisfied with NEO since they play the exact same games. Exact same IPs.

Many people buy consoles in the hopes to have a good cycle where there's no upgrades and split communities due to various configs.

Releasing this is more bad than good for the PS5 whenever that comes out. who's going to buy a launch ps5 when a PS5.5 might be just around the corner?

Also another thing to note is how is multiplayer games going to work? If they downgrade multiplayer on the PSNeo for even playing ground with OG PS4 then people will bitch moan and complain that OG PS4 is holding back the PS Neo.
And if they didn't bring it down to the same level then there's a split for people playing with higher FPS and resolution. That would cause the OG PS4 to be at a disadvantage.

The way they always have. This is clearly stated.

LordOfChaos

Those Neo specs is basically what you need to run 1080p games at somewhat stable 60fps with the same graphics options of a normal PS4, I don't expect games using better graphical options than a nomal PS4 unit besides the resolution and fps.

I think some people need to understand that for games like Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn doubling fps and with better resolution requieres lot of hardware juice its not a simple think to do.

Also if you are one of those that are very upset when your game drops frames from 30 to middle 20s, dropping from 60fps is a lot lot more noticeable.

This is why I kind of think it's just to get current level games running on PSVR with the per eye resolution and framerate requirements. It's not what you'd do if you wanted current level at 4K. 1080p/60 for running on TVs, PSVR requirements for PSVR.

After that, yeah I agree, there's not a super amount of horsepower left over to do much extra, though a developer may always be tempted to have balls out graphics on 30fps for it without VR support instead.

TyrantII

Adapting to current CE trends. That is unforgivable

I see this but it makes little sense. The profit margins on current CE are really good. There's incentive to push iterative hardware because they're making bank. Even margins and markup on PC tech is healthy.

Consoles are sold pretty damn close to cost. They make their money on software and services.

Maybe they're going to move away from that, but they'll fall even further behind PC to do so to create margins. Otherwise they'll stick to the subsidized model, which I don't see the benefits with with stratified hardware and market segregation.

Yeah, new toys are cool and all; but I'm not sure Sonys endgame here. Which is why this being soley for PSVR seems to make the most sense to me.

They got caught off guard with how fast VR moved and didn't have a system ready for 2017, so this is the stop gap. I'm doubting well see a PS5.5, they just needed to do this, this time, due to VR.

Oh well that's life. People that go PC will really see what a disadvantage is.

Didn't answer much.

I know already what it is and which is why I play shooters and stuff on console for an equal playing field. That would just basically just be a slap in the face to people who don't upgrade.

I still see supporters as this
J1nzrMt.png

There's no other answer than the simple "nothing changes" that was provided.

GAF logic 101.

My reaction
Forum fallacy 101.

There are 168,574 members in GAF (just checked), so it's quite possible that those who thought PS4 wasn't powerful enough are not the same that now say they don't like the idea of a mid generation upgrade.

Also, PS4 is very succesful. It's selling like hotcakes even if some people here thought it was underpowered.

We'll see what happens when Sony tells the 40 million current PS4 owners that, starting this holidays, they are going to be 2nd class citizens in the Playstation ecosystem. I am sure they are going to love it. [/s]

Krabboss

Didn't answer much.

From the article this whole thread is about that is linked in the OP

The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to.

Didn't answer much.

I know already what it is and which is why I play shooters and stuff on console for an equal playing field. That would just basically just be a slap in the face to people who don't upgrade.

I still see supporters as this
J1nzrMt.png

I don't see any negatives for those of us that are happy to upgrade. Please explain them?

Jeels

We'll see what happens when Sony tells the 40 million current PS4 owners that, starting this holidays, they are going to be 2nd class citizens in the Playstation ecosystem. I am sure they are going to love it. [/s]

The rhetoric is strong.

I am sure anyone who has ever bought an cell phone, tablet, television, or a laptop feel like second class citizens within 6 months.

Forum fallacy 101.

There are 168,574 members in GAF (just checked), so it's quite possible that those who thought PS4 wasn't powerful enough are not the same that now say they don't like the idea of a mid generation upgrade.

Also, PS4 is very succesful. It's selling like hotcakes even if some people here thought it was underpowered.

I want you to read your post again, very carefully, and tell me if you can see why I think this is hilarious. Let me know if you need a hint.

Grisu

Neo Member
Im kinda curious about how they (Sony & thirds) do the marketing for the games from that point on when the enhanced PS4 releases. They always show of the best looking version. OG PS4 users probably have to wait for a review comparison to see how they gonna get to play the game? Im so confused about that

Sotha_Sil

I agree that not a lot of people will really go PC. That high entry point will not be going away, plus the convenience and ease of use is still a great advantage for consoles. I will be, but I'll be the first to admit it's a unique situation; my home was recently broken into and I lost my PS4, all my physical disks, and my TV. At this point, I might as well go for a PC since I'd need a console + TV + some replacement games anyways.

It's a higher price entry point, but I'm working a double shift overseas and will get a pretty sweet bonus, so it'll be going towards this. And the advantages that PC offer hold a good deal of value to me (digital much more manageable, catalog of games going back multiple generations, GSYNC, 1440p, 144 fps gameplay, mods, Steam/GOG, PC exclusives, not paying for MP).

If I still had my TV and all those games, I'd be pretty tempted by the PS4k.

Top Bottom