• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's what Encyclopedia Bombastica is. (there's no way they're going to get to every game at this rate, but I appreciate them pulling out some old gems)

That's just been Jeff though. Jeff made it like everyone was going to. I thought Patrick was supposed to play LTTP

ArjanN

That's what Encyclopedia Bombastica is. (there's no way they're going to get to every game at this rate, but I appreciate them pulling out some old gems)

I thought it was fairly obivous they were saying that jokingly. Even if they did several a day, it would take them years to even do the SNES library alone.

It's just going to be them doing random old gems.

justjim89

They're never doing another Endurance Run, are they? I'd love to be able to watch one as it was happening instead of giant archive-binges.

StuBurns

Banned
They're never doing another Endurance Run, are they? I'd love to be able to watch one as it was happening instead of giant archive-binges.
Yeah, when are they going to do the Nier endurance run I demand?

I don't really know why they're so against the idea of doing more, other than it being a big time commitment. They've created this beast, they have an obligation to feed it.

Duffyside

Banned
Yeah, when are they going to do the Nier endurance run I demand?

I don't really know why they're so against the idea of doing more, other than it being a big time commitment. They've created this beast, they have an obligation to feed it.

I honestly think a lot of it is just Jeff wanting to swim against the stream. I think the more people demand it, the less he wants to do it.

Sort of speaking of, just today I was thinking of the times Jeff has noted a piece of content in the past having been important for establishing the tone of the site -- P4 ER, Too Human gangster vid, original pitch video -- and it struck me that that sort of content doesn't really happen much anymore. I mean, I know the site is still fun, and goofy at times, and I still love it. But everything seems way more structured than it used to be, less random. Those three aforementioned items all came out of nowhere (P4 was especially amazing), but every feature these days is a known quantity, it seems.

AcridMeat

Banned
You're right Duffy. Now the goofy comes from the unexpected within a quick look for the most part.

One video I loved was the video they did in the Sausalito office when they got the promotional material for Arkham Asylum.

edit: Obviously that was from specific material being sent, but I was more referring to what they did with it. Had a home video aspect to it.

Duffyside

Banned
You're right Duffy. Now the goofy comes from the unexpected within a quick look for the most part.

One video I loved was the video they did in the Sausalito office when they got the promotional material for Arkham Asylum.

edit: Obviously that was from specific material being sent, but I was more referring to what they did with it. Had a home video aspect to it.

Haha, yup. MW2 Night Vision goggles was similarly great. Man, Sausalito was the best. The site really had a friends-and-family vibe. The place really could have just been one of their own home basements, and I loved that.

justjim89

Yeah, I've found a way to watch some of the premium videos for free lately, and I don't see why I'd pay for the site. Original, quality, members-only stuff doesn't happen that much. The most recent worthwhile thing I found was Ryan and Patrick's Pokemon Snap playthrough.

OMG Aero

Yeah, I've found a way to watch some of the premium videos for free lately, and I don't see why I'd pay for the site. Original, quality, members-only stuff doesn't happen that much. The most recent worthwhile thing I found was Ryan and Patrick's Pokemon Snap playthrough.
The main reason to pay is just to support the site. If you look at it from the perspective of what you are actually getting for your money then premium membership isn't really worth it at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, I don't know.

$6 per month isn't that much to get 4-6 good quality long form videos per month and not get bombarded with ads.

Wunder

Eh, I think rushing Endurance Run choices is very, very unwise. So far they have all been pretty good, but in my opinion they have slowly been declining in quality. Speaking in terms of pure ERs (none of that random stuff) it has still been P4, VJDP, BRDP and then Chrono Trigger. If their hearts aren't into it or if the game if wrong/bad, then they'd have wasted a large chunk of their time and I don't think it's that worth it. Although it would be funny to finally have a pock in the ER timeline where they actually 'gave up' playing a game because it was too boring/bad or whatever.

But yeah, in terms of actual entertainment, I think it's very important that the crew actually desire to get into the game and dedicate upwards of 80 hours into playing it and processing it. The worst thing would be to see daily content of the crew just slogging through a crappy game with no entertainment value.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
An ER without Vinny and Jeff is an ER I want no part in.

scaffa

The new Encyclopedia Bombastica about The Goonies II is great. I loved playing this game and just watching it makes me want to play it again. Almost wished that Jeff would play it all the way.

But i'm also a little bit confused but maybe that's just because it's a long time ago that I played this game. I finished the game and I remember saving the Mermaid and all the different environments. But what I don't remember is the way the game starts and seeing this video makes me think I played a different version. I was always under the assumption that I played the first one but that one is totally different and wasn't released in europe either.

Like hitting the guy 5 times for the candle, was there another way to get the candle? I can't believe I figured that out. And the starting area, no memories of that either. I always thought you started out in a cave. I'm having like a huge brain fart at the moment, I played this game way to much, I was very young, don't think I could read english at the time and my brother hated this game and me for playing it all the time.

I remember a time when I first got to the mermaid and somehow I couldn't save her at the moment. No key, no bomb or I didnt save everyone? I was lost so I just started a new game and played it again and again and again.

So many fond and lost memories about this game. Thanks Jeff for showing it to us.

animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report2.gif
GIANT BOMB PROGRAMMING ALERT !!!
animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report2.gif

Brad just confirmed that the current plan is:

WiiU live day stream = Sunday 18 Nov 2012

LCfiner

Sunday all day live stream? time to clear out my schedule of not doing anything on Sunday anyway!

sweet! looking forward to the stream.

MedHead

The premium membership has for me been more about wanting to help make sure Giant Bomb continues to exist, and less about getting anything of value beyond what everyone gets for free. The free content is so good that I think it's worth the cost of the membership.

Calling all bets on the first Goomba killing someone.

Brad will run into the first Goomba and blame Patrick. Patrick will be relegated to block duty, and spend most of the time talking about obstensively inherent zeitgeist involved in the systems of 2D platformers. Jeff will get hella mans from turtle shells.

Haunted

Brad will run into the first Goomba and blame Patrick. Patrick will be relegated to block duty, and spend most of the time talking about obstensively inherent zeitgeist involved in the systems of 2D platformers. Jeff will get hella mans from turtle shells.
They won't make Patrick the bucket bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom