• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Holy shit, the payoff in the plane takeoff bit is fucking great. So much procedural stuff all for about 2 minutes of dumb fuckery. Worth it.

God damn. Watching Vinny play Lords of Shadow. Vinny I love you man, but sometimes I wonder how you even manage to finish a game.
He finished Demon's (and Dark?) Souls so he isn't bad at games. A lot of the stuff in LOS seemed poorly signposted or explained. I don't mean to take anything away from the quality of the bulk of the game, which I haven't played, but even though Vinny took responsibility for the fumbling around last week, a good portion of it was clearly down to the game.

ArjanN

He finished Demon's (and Dark?) Souls so he isn't bad at games. A lot of the stuff in LOS seemed poorly signposted or explained. I don't mean to take anything away from the quality of the bulk of the game, which I haven't played, but even though Vinny took responsibility for the fumbling around last week, a good portion of it was clearly down to the game.

Eh. It this case it was more that he hasn't played it in a year or two and had forgotten the controls. The format of this bit with all the other guys heckling/distracting the player doesn't really help either.

They're probably better off playing something that lets them all play co-op or something completely terrible like that Beverly Hills Cop game.

Tattooth

I think Unprofessional Friday is my new favourite thing on the site. Jeff NEEDS to play Getting Up on it one week, to show the world how great that game is.

demidar

Eh. It this case it was more that he hasn't played it in a year or two and had forgotten the controls. The format of this bit with all the other guys heckling/distracting the player doesn't really help either.

They're probably better off playing something that lets them all play co-op or something completely terrible like that Beverly Hills Cop game.

Oh yeah I remember that LoS has a lot of moves, even before factoring in light/dark magic modifiers like that shoulder charge move. Then you've got light/dark modifiers for each of the subweapons as well, so much to remember. Light parry, light mid-air launcher, light holy water (I think it makes a shield?), light dagger wave, dark shoulder charge, dark claw wave, ultimate technique and it goes on and on and on and on.

TentPole

The game clearly spells out how to deal with all of those obstacles when you first run into them. Vinny just forgot.

Zaph

Just got Devil May Cry on Steam. Brad does not lie, the game is incredibly fun.

It's got this great style/cockiness to it, which on paper should be obnoxious, but it actually works. It also doesn't feel very grindy, instead it moves at a crazy pace.

Full disclosure:
I've never played a DMC game before

demidar

Just got Devil May Cry on Steam. Brad does not lie, the game is incredibly fun.

It's got this great style/cockiness to it, which on paper should be obnoxious, but it actually works. It also doesn't feel very grindy, instead it moves at a crazy pace.

Full disclosure:
I've never played a DMC game before

From what I've seen it's between good and great but doesn't stand up to the previous series whose standards are extremely high. There would be a lot less backlash against the game if it didn't carry the DMC label and I feel it has hurt it more than if it was just a new IP. I'll probably get it for cheap on Steam but I sure don't expect it to be better than DMC3/4.

Zaph

From what I've seen it's between good and great but doesn't stand up to the previous series whose standards are extremely high. There would be a lot less backlash against the game if it didn't carry the DMC label and I feel it has hurt it more than if it was just a new IP. I'll probably get it for cheap on Steam but I sure don't expect it to be better than DMC3/4.
Yeah, I felt the same about 2010's Splinter Cell: Conviction. I'm a massive fan of that series (even to a fault, I didn't think they needed to change the formula at all), so I just had to make peace with the new direction. But hey, it looks like it brought new fans to the series, which means more Splinter Cell games.

Same thing with DMC. Had they gone with a direct sequel, they probably never would have gotten my £30.

Jokab

Jeff tumblr said:
Q: I Love Monday's, podcast on Tuesday, Thursday Night Throwdown, Unprofessional Friday... you need a Wednesday thing. I suggest Wig Wii Bowling Wednesday

A: We have a Wednesday thing in the works.

More (premium?) content coming up! Pushing the envelope here.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, I felt the same about 2010's Splinter Cell: Conviction. I'm a massive fan of that series (even to a fault, I didn't think they needed to change the formula at all), so I just had to make peace with the new direction. But hey, it looks like it brought new fans to the series, which means more Splinter Cell games.
The difference is that DmC is still a decent action game while Conviction failed even at what it tried to achieve. The shooting felt bad, the enemy AI was simple, you are forced several times into a third person shooter segments that highlighted how awful the combat really was, when the game tried to do stealth it's fail-state was worse than even the first Splinter Cell. The level design and enemy placement pretty much screamed at what you needed to do (HEY, KNOCK OUT THIS GUY HERE AND AUTO-SHOOT THESE TWO DWEEBS.) It was bad at everything it tried to do. Not to mention the heavy handedness of the storyline.

I understand that sometimes a developer needs to turn a special franchise into bland tasteless mush for the thirteen-year-olds that'll ignore the game anyways, but it doesn't mean you should accept an outright awful game.

LiK

God damn. Watching Vinny play Lords of Shadow. Vinny I love you man, but sometimes I wonder how you even manage to finish a game.

LoS has pretty complex controls and a ton of moves. Even I've forgotten all of them so I can't blame Vinny for not remembering anything. This is why he should refresh himself by playing through a chapter off the air so he can remember. He's not showing it off well. :(

derFeef

LoS has pretty complex controls and a ton of moves. Even I've forgotten all of them so I can't blame Vinny for not remembering anything. This is why he should refresh himself by playing through a chapter off the air so he can remember. He's not showing it off well. :(

I dunno, I also wonder how he finished Sleeping Dogs watching him play, but that's true for every game he plays on GB. Fine by me.

Rapstah

Unprofessional Fridays will easily be their best content if they can commit to 2-3 hours every Friday. It'll probably marginalise TNT pretty quickly too, because when that officially turns into an hour of communmity multiplayer every week as the fun stuff is absorbed into Unprofessional Fridays I don't even think I'll watch the archives.

Odrion

Banned
I really wish they would do more video things than "watch us play videogames." Remember TANG? :(

Fuck, give us video reviews back. You do NOT need to record extra game footage. Look at Half-In-The-Bag, they managed to do video reviews with nothing but trailer footage.

LiK

I dunno, I also wonder how he finished Sleeping Dogs watching him play, but that's true for every game he plays on GB. Fine by me.

LoS is quite linear so Vinny can't really mess around like in SD. also there are no trunks to throw people into. :p

I really wish they would do more video things than "watch us play videogames." Remember TANG? :(

Fuck, give us video reviews back. You do NOT need to record extra game footage. Look at Half-In-The-Bag, they managed to do video reviews with nothing but trailer footage.

the problem i had with the video reviews was they were simply reading off the text review. it made their video reivews kinda stiff and the text pointless to read through. i remember back when Jeff etc were on Gamespot they would have different stuff to say in their video reviews compared to their text reviews. i think if they were more off-the-cuff like on their podcast then maybe i will welcome their video reviews back.

Zaph

The difference is that DmC is still a decent action game while Conviction failed even at what it tried to achieve. The shooting felt bad, the enemy AI was simple, you are forced several times into a third person shooter segments that highlighted how awful the combat really was, when the game tried to do stealth it's fail-state was worse than even the first Splinter Cell. The level design and enemy placement pretty much screamed at what you needed to do (HEY, KNOCK OUT THIS GUY HERE AND AUTO-SHOOT THESE TWO DWEEBS.) It was bad at everything it tried to do. Not to mention the heavy handedness of the storyline.

I understand that sometimes a developer needs to turn a special franchise into bland tasteless mush for the thirteen-year-olds that'll ignore the game anyways, but it doesn't mean you should accept an outright awful game.
Yeah, but how many games give us drunk Michael Ironside? Exactly. Silver linings my friend, silver linings.

the problem i had with the video reviews was they were simply reading off the text review. it made their video reivews kinda stiff and the text pointless to read through. i remember back when Jeff etc were on Gamespot they would have different stuff to say in their video reviews compared to their text reviews. i think if they were more off-the-cuff like on their podcast then maybe i will welcome their video reviews back.
Plus, is a 5 minute video review really that entertaining? It's the type of content really any site can produce because it doesn't require much personality.

But I do agree it would be great to get some more scripted stuff. Their game of the year videos really show off how good they are at it (but you still have to bear in mind it's a massive time commitment too).

LiK

Plus, is a 5 minute video review really that entertaining? It's the type of content really any site can produce because it doesn't require much personality.

But I do agree it would be great to get some more scripted stuff. Their game of the year videos really show off how good they are at it (but you still have to bear in mind it's a massive time commitment too).

one redeeming quality is when Vinny manages to put in a funny clip into the video review. he sometimes did that, iirc.

Nert

Video reviews can be pretty entertaining (Blood on the Sand, anyone?) and they apparently bring in a lot of traffic. It seems like they really could use another video person or two to make it more feasible to crank out content like that, but obviously I have no idea if they could afford that at the moment.

"They're affiliated with us, so they do what the companies tell them."

Jeff going straight for the throat, only four minutes in. Dang.

edit: Drew's face during Vinny's attempt to start up the plane is hysterical! He looks so nervous for him, hahaha

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, the flight club segment was fantastic! Patrick, Drew, and Jeff were cracking me up watching their expressions change depending on what Vinny was doing.

Loxley

Oh man, just started watching the Thursday Night Throwdown and we're starting off with one of the greatest worst games ever made.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

This line of thinking didn't help brad during the Shadow of the Colossus incident. :p

Had to commemorate the newest Unprofessional Fridays with a couple gifs. Don't mind me.

Flight Club: We have liftoff
Flight Club: We have Vinny

Smooth talkin' with Axel Foley.

iWvFN6qThoFFi.gif

Sorry it turned out so awful. Need to work on figuring out better methods of making gifs with alpha channels

Roofy

Does anyone remember what bombcast it was where Jeff rants for a good minute or two about how EA would fuck up acquiring Volition and EA's track record of botching most acquisitions?

I need it for a project if anyone can remember

tsigo

I just realized what's so great about Unprofessional Fridays: It's the old Happy Hour show but all of the segments are the GB crew!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Video reviews can be pretty entertaining (Blood on the Sand, anyone?) and they apparently bring in a lot of traffic. It seems like they really could use another video person or two to make it more feasible to crank out content like that, but obviously I have no idea if they could afford that at the moment.
Well, the reality is that people only want to watch short videos for the most part. It's only the most committed fan that sets through a 3 hour video of guys playing random old games.

Unprofessional Fridays seem amazing. I need to get dat extra money for a GiantBomb subscription ASAP. Meant to get one during their end of the year sale but I waited too long.

Unprofessional Fridays seem amazing. I need to get dat extra money for a GiantBomb subscription ASAP. Meant to get one during their end of the year sale but I waited too long.

Yes you did. As someone who subscribed during their last sale their premium content is really awesome and more than worth the money. I've spent quite a lot of time just going thru old videos...and unprofessional fridays is just god stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom