• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RK128

Kratos in SAO O_O! I'm DOWN man XD!

To be serious, it is an interesting setting and it has a lot of beautiful locations; very interested in how Santa Monica will handle the combat with the Chain Blades gone.

Hopeful we hear more about this game at E3 this year :).

Footos22

Yeah if it's real, then I'm out.

Agreed. I haven't been buying or playing any of the GOW games. If Kratos is in, I'll continue not buying them.

You won't buy a game of a series you never played because of a character you obviously know nothing about having not played One.

Kratos is God of war. They also wouldn't leave the ending of 3 out there and not have Kratos back for 4

If it's Kratos I'm out.

I want something new. Take a god damn chance, please. Make a good game and people will buy it.

edit: Would be possibly alright if it's still Kratos in another mythology but then I just think that's silly.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You can "freshen up" the franchise without removing the main character. And btw. Kratos IS the God of War. He IS the franchise and a beloved character.

But Kratos is God of War. It's like asking for The Legend of Zelda without Link.

He may be the main character now, but it's not like they couldn't come up with a new main character that fits the mythology. I feel like it's going to feel really stupid having him be the main character in a different mythology. It's not as if this is Kratos in his universe. He'll be in a different universe. He has no connections with Norse mythology.

So, it's been thousands of years since Kratos killed all the gods, right? Norse mythology happens more than a millennia after the Greek legends.
Kratos reincarnated....

Or he became an immortal hermit after killing everyone and fucking over Athena.
On some Rambo shit he just wanted to be left alone....

le.phat

A viking warrior that begs the gods for power. Kratos answers, creating a cross-pantheon norse champion fueled by Kratos rage,while slowly being consumes by it, hence the visual similiarities. Could work for me :)

shinobi602 says that it will take place in norse mythology

Please let it be a late april's fool dark joke.Enough of this overused setting in every game & movie. GOW was unique because it was fresh using a setting and universe and an unmilked mythology.

I thought they would use Egyptian or the most logical one would be persian one since the connections between persians and greeks in wars which were portrayed in GOW Chains Of Olympus and Kratos even used their powers.

Why settle for the most milked common, generic and boring setting? Do we want a Lord Of The Rings or Skyrim clone or Darksiders or one of the infinite list?
How could GOW4 be unique now? Even DMC and Dante's Inferno were unqiue for their genre and settings.
Why not persian mythology due to its connection to the game? The only game having such setting is Prince Of Persia. You will say they wanted to avoid direct competition with it? Well look how many otehr games use such settings.

My expectations went from exospherely high to asthenospherely low after reading such generic unimaginative copy-catness.

I will surely get the game for PS4K but I won't be that excited to play it anymore. At least the return of Kratos will compensate that for me (I hope this is true otherwise there will be zero interest for me).

dancmc

If it's Kratos I'm out.

I want something new. Take a god damn chance, please. Make a good game and people will buy it.

url

Lol...I'm not out...but that's all I can think of with all of these posts in this thread

sjay1994

Regardless of whether they like him, people generally are just tired of him, at least chronologically after 3.

I think people got sick of Kratos because of how one note he was post 2.

1) Fuck the gods, they killed my family (although it was mostly my fault)
2) Literally killed everything in his way
3) Basically fucks over the entire world on his revenge quest.

Ghost of Sparta was literally a "huh, we should elaborate on why Kratos hates the gods so much".

Personally, I would have welcomed a new MC, but if they go with Kratos hopefully he has a personality change after realizing he got nothing from his revenge quest.

Mortemis

Banned
Regardless of whether they like him, people generally are just tired of him, at least chronologically after 3.

The hate stems from 1) him becoming full-tilt asshole after GoW 2) the gameplay formula running its course during 3 and 3) the BS ending of 3 where they try to spin Kratos' actions in a positive way.

Exactly. I'm Im sick of him, don't know if I'd bother with another GoW with him as the mc.

pablito

You won't buy a game of a series you never played because of a character you obviously know nothing about having not played One.

Previews, I have a friend that likes them and I watched him play a bit, there's this thing called Youtube. Etc.

Kratos is God of war.

For you and most fans. Not for me. The main draw to me has been going against the gods. It can be a different character for me. I'm not saying it's dumb to have him, just that keeping him stops me personally.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it actually Kratos is another setting or is it a new character named Kratos?

I'd guess the latter. It would impossible for Greek Kratos to be transported to a completely different time and place in a manner that isn't ridiculously contrived, even for God of War.

He may be the main character now, but it's not like they couldn't come up with a new main character that fits the mythology. I feel like it's going to feel really stupid having him be the main character in a different mythology. It's not as if this is Kratos in his universe. He'll be in a different universe. He has no connections with Norse mythology.

Then it wouldn't be God of War.

RK128

Graphics look bad

Um.....this is likely early concept work? So if they don't look amazing, it doesn't represent the final game at all.

Likely some of the early work done on the game from Mid-2014 or something and I wouldn't not be shocked if its a March release like every other God of War game, so Santa Monica likely got a good 2-3 years to make the game :D.

Its going to look jaw dropping on PS4 :').

Cels

kratos is gonna to the land of the faeries where he asks the faerie king to restore the mental health of his lover/war buddy and they'll go to kill the big bad griffith

oh wait, wrong series

sjay1994

shinobi602 says that it will take place in norse mythology

Please let it be a late april's fool dark joke.Enough of this overused setting in every game & movie. GOW was unique cus it was fresh using a setting and universe and an unmilked mythology.

I thought they would use Egyptian or the most logical one would be persian one sicne the connections between persians and greeks in wars and itw as portrayed in GOW Chains Of Olympus and he even used their pwoers.

Why settle for the most milked common, generic and boring setting? Do we want a Lord Of The Rings or Skyrim clone or Darksiders or one of the infinite list?
How could GOW4 be unique now? Even DMC and Dante's Inferno were unqiue for their genre and settings.
Why not persian mythology due to its connection to the game? The only game having such setting is Prince Of Persia. You will say they wanted to avoid direct competition with it? Well look how many otehr games use such settings.

My expectations went from exospherely high to asthenospherely low after reading such generic unimaginative copy-catness.

I will surely get the game for PS4K but I won't be that excited to play it anymore. At least the return of Kratos will compensate that for me (I hope this is true otherwise there will be zero interest for me).

Sorry, but what notable games use Norse Mythology? I might understand movies and other popular culture due to Thor, but I am drawing blanks on Norse.

I am just happy its not fucking Greek anymore, because Ascension was scraping the bottom of the barrel for things for Kratos to kill.

Kratos has been wandering around living off the land since god of war 3. He is then bothered by the vikings and decides to revert back to his god slaying days.

BlueWord

Definitely looks like Kratos, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow a new character with a design that heavily references Kratos – or even some new incarnation of Kratos.

Metal B

Kratos are preincarnation versions of Jesus. Killing all the old gods to make room for his true father. The twist
he kills him too.

Top Bottom