• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension reviews

Wynnebeck

Banned
For a GOW game a 7 is a bad score, even worst considering this game was made by SSM, game looks mediocre, I called it many times in the demo impressions thread an people think I was hating, I'm the biggest GOW fan, I platinum every game, even the psp ones on HD

So you've played Ascension already? Sorry but I'd rather play the game myself and judge it accordingly then to run around like a chicken with my head cut off just because of a review from a random person.

Camjo-Z

I'm willing to bet the same people freaking out over these good scores are also the ones that complain about reviewers using the "7-10 point scale".

Takao

Banned
This one has new director, the problem with ascension is it's telling story no one is asking, people want continuation of gow 3 teaser ending, either a reboot with new character or mytn, or see where kratos go from how3 ending, but we didnt get that at all.

Doesn't every God of War have a new director?

Dibbz

I love how everyone is focusing on the 7. In the OP there are 8 reviews that gave it 8 and up and only 3 that gave it 7.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think more than anything else, Santa Monica needs a break from the franchise. Even though we've only been getting a major entry in the franchise every 2-3 years, they've been working on GOW games for about 10 years now. They're obviously extremely talented, and I bet they'd like the chance to do something completely different.

I like GOW a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of inspiration. The franchise was built on extraordinary scale and constantly one-upping themselves, and eventually there's a ceiling on how crazy things can get, and of course the players get habituated to it anyway and it takes a lot more to impress. It's not a sustainable design philosophy.

Xater

I really liked GoW3 but I didn't want this game. From a story perspective it's pointless, from a gameplay perspective it doesn't seem to add much and the multiplayer is garbage (I did not enjoy the beta at all! And who thought GoW needed multiplayer anyway?)

It's another one of the cases where they have to put out something because this generation has been going on for way too long. I am kinda expecting similar reviews for Gears.

DieH@rd

Banned
Destructoid review mentions that the game is very hard, visually stunning, with good story and one of the best puzzle sections in the entire franchise.

That's good enough for me.

Ok, from what I'm reading, it's abit more of an adventure according to DTOID, but OPM considers this abit of a drag and suggests it has pacing issues.

Removing some of the weapons from God of War III is also a problem.

It apparently has the best puzzles in the series though...

BadWolf

This game was a mistake from the word go. Sony should've listened to me (and others) and took this moment as a way to reboot the franchise (by "giving" it to Platinum/Kamiya and letting them use any mythology they want).

Love Platinum but this series is not their cup of tea.

Destructoid review mentions that the game is very hard, visually stunning, with good story and one of the best puzzle sections in the entire franchise.

Ditto.

Spinluck

This game was a mistake from the word go. Sony should've listened to me (and others) and took this moment as a way to reboot the franchise (by "giving" it to Platinum/Kamiya and letting them use any mythology they want).

This Platinum shit needs to die.

I enjoy all their games, but there are just some things they do not need to touch.

Well that sounds mature.

I just always find it funny when certain games get looked as as uber violent and offending. When there is so many worse games out there. It's like where have these reviewers been? Were talking a fantasy greek mytholgy game here. Since Spec Ops was a topic in the other thread, that game has a more severe and brutal moment in it then anything God of War can produce imo since Spec Ops is based in reality, not fantasy.

Paches

This is what I dont understand. The servers are not turned on untill the 12th.. And I was not informed of other ways to play online. How can they review mp now.?

Some of the reviewers mentioned they got a 1 day stay at some Sony multiplayer review event to play it for a bit to get an idea. That is what they are going off of if they are talking about the MP.

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone else feel like this one has a lot less steam and hype behind it compared to GoW3?

Everyone.

I am fine with just more God of War, doesn't need to be anything too innovative, I just want to enjoy the spectacle one more time.

Yeah same here. I'm not anymore "over it" than I am with DmC or Metal Gear Rising. I think all these games have problems.

Ryce

Wait, what is GAFs consensus on review "scores"?

Sometimes people act like they don't matter, and say they aren't a correct way to rate a game, others seem to go by them.
Poor score for a game they dislike = lol i told you this game sucks
Poor score for a game they like = lol games journalism

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Has any review adequately broken down the new combat features or is everyone too incompetent/un-invested to evaluate what has actually been changed this time?

KalBalboa

Banned
I love how everyone is focusing on the 7. In the OP there are 8 reviews that gave it 8 and up and only 3 that gave it 7.

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

While the game looks okay, I don't think they can make another one of those with the exact same gameplay but with better graphics. They will need to give this series a gameplay reboot for next-gen.

Reviews seem pretty spot on actually. I love the series so I think I will really enjoy going through it but I can absolutely understand the fatigue that is likely setting in. I expected both of the GOW's coming out this month to be pushing their welcome just a bit.

For most other games, that range of scores would be pretty good (7's to 9's), but for a game in this series, the expectations are higher.

Hanmik

Some of the reviewers mentioned they got a 1 day stay at some Sony multiplayer review event to play it for a bit to get an idea. That is what they are going off of if they are talking about the MP.

Yeah guess americans got special treatment.. We got this.

For the first time we will present multiplayer on God of War. This feature comes with multiple modes and ways to enjoy a new and dynamic multiplayer that embraces the God of War-concept. Brutal, violent, gigantic and godly. However, multiplayer servers are not live until March 12th, Tuesday next week one day before launch. The embargo is March 7th, Thursday this week at 19:00 CET.

Cartman86

Banned
I just always find it funny when certain games get looked as as uber violent and offending. When there is so many worse games out there. It's like where have these reviewers been? Were talking a fantasy greek mytholgy game here. Since Spec Ops was a topic in the other thread, that game has a more severe and brutal moment in it then anything God of War can produce imo since Spec Ops is based in reality, not fantasy.

I think for many that's sort of the point of Spec Ops. It's commenting on that. God of War just revels in it. For some that's great and for others it just doesn't sit well. There isn't much you can say to combat a gut reaction like that. It's not like these people are extreme prudes. They probably love a good slasher film, but this game probably gets into the levels of Hostel for them. Violence for the sake of it. Personally only GoW 3 with the dudes head getting ripped off affected me, and that was from a crappy GIF. When I actually played it the detail was cartoony enough for me to be fine with it. The weird role of women is something i'm more worried about.

george_us

Fuck if this is true then my hype meter just kicked into overdrive. God of War 3 was fun but the puzzle and level design overall was lackluster overall compared to the brilliant God of War 2. If Ascension even comes close to GoW2 in overall level design I will be a very happy man.

firen

Reviews seem pretty spot on actually. I love the series so I think I will really enjoy going through it but I can absolutely understand the fatigue that is likely setting in. I expected both of the GOW's coming out this month to be pushing their welcome just a bit.

Agreed. I fully expect to enjoy the game but I can see why there's a group hoping for Sony's great franchise to continue to push the envelope in terms of gameplay design. In the end, it's "more of the same." Is that a bad thing? Not for me. Slightly disappointed? Yes, but I will purchase and thoroughly enjoy this game.

Adam Blue

That Polygon review was pretty strange. I didn't really get anything from it of the actual gameplay or combat changes from the previous titles. Also, difficulty level? I make sure to include difficulties in my reviews, as well as try them out in each to figure out the most satisfying experience. While a number score means nothing to me, an empty written review tells me nothing.

This Platinum shit needs to die.

I enjoy all their games, but there are just some things they do not need to touch.

I got to agree with this, Platinum can't and shouldn't handle God of War or Darksiders, they are Japanese, they are best fit for Devil May Cry or Bayonetta or something.

Also God of War is great the way it is, it just needs a bit of a break, and a solid return on the PS4 --recalls how GoW3 blew me out of the water--

So the reviewer who win gonna say its good while the loser gonna say the mp sucks ? :p

Top Bottom