• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Didn't have time to play more today, but at best that means the game is visually inconsistent. I'll play more tomorrow when I get the chance but the first impression isn't good.

Unless you're trying to tell me dragon's trail 2 looks good in which case I don't know what to tell ya. To each their own I guess.

No it does not, Cars and lighting looks great, track look ok, surrounding looks average, trees look poor, skybox isn't highest quality, you can see pixels on it, same with backdrops and that's on PS4 Pro on 4K tv.

Like I said it's not a bad looking game but sure as hell ain't gif pretty during gameplay. Replays looks nice, but I don't play replays, I play the game.

kriskrosbbk

Besides that, the handling is nothing special. It's certainly better than any GTs and I would say it's better than any Forza including 7, but again, compared to Project Cars 2 (or even 1) it's just not that good. There's this weird disconnect between the car and the track. I can't get a feel for the traction of the wheels, it's like the car is gliding and there aren't any tyres. The car moves like you expect and you can control it fine but it really feels disconnected from the track, it's very hard to explain and it's a really weird feeling.

Maybe you should play a bit with the chase cam settings. This is what fixed the gliding for me.

Rellik

No it does not, Cars and lighting looks great, track look ok, surrounding looks average, trees look poor, skybox isn't highest quality, you can see pixels on it, same with backdrops and that's on PS4 Pro on 4K tv.

Like I said it's not a bad looking game but sure as hell ain't gif pretty during gameplay. Replays looks nice, but I don't play replays, I play the game.

At least you can view replays. The piece of shit crashes for me during every replay.

I'm sure it says beta on the name.

It has a "ß" in the name, that's it. I'm not really worried about GAF impressions, but I'm thinking about the mainstream gamer who gets off of work, sits down with the demo only to be presented with nothing he or she can play, or crashes when they try to access something. I don't think it presents a positive, polished presentation for a game that launches in a few days.

I'm someone that loves the immersion (i.e. cockpit view) in these games, but when it comes to really trying to get good times I resort to the bumper cam view and can't help but feel guilty. Am I being a scrub if I use this view? It just doesn't feel right since it's nowhere near what the actual driver will see...but my reasoning is that when playing in cockpit view I just don't have the same depth perception or spatial awareness that I would if I was actually there. VR solves this, but playing normally I feel like I'm sacrificing my best to solve some stupid video game moral dilemma.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I feel dumb even posting this to be honest.
I'm exactly the same 1st choice is always cockpit view but if I'm looking to shave milliseconds of a lap time I switch to bonnet cam or even bumper cam!
On a side note, This particular game looks way better in cockpit view than any of the other views

It has a "ß" in the name, that's it.

The name of this game on the PS4 menu is "Gran Turismo SPORT Beta-Version".

What the fuck people? Is this a troll invasion? One says it looks not more than average, the other comes with something like this, the next one says he goes back to Forza. Holy smokes.

Thanks. My bad. Must have been blinded by the notifications saying I can still play Arcade lol!

I give you that, it really does say that and confused me too.

It has a "ß" in the name, that's it. I'm not really worried about GAF impressions, but I'm thinking about the mainstream gamer who gets off of work, sits down with the demo only to be presented with nothing he or she can play, or crashes when they try to access something. I don't think it presents a positive, polished presentation for a game that launches in a few days.
From the official page on Gran Turismo website:

nX7079n.jpg

Important Notes
・Participation in this Open Beta test requires a PlayStation®4 console and an online internet connection.
・You can enjoy online multiplayer even without a subscription to PlayStation®Plus.
・There may be some hours where gameplay is not possible due to server maintenance.
・Server maintenance information and other notices will be provided in the in-game news and on the official website gran-turismo.com.

wouwie

Just spent a bit of time with this. With this type of games (games that go for a realistic look) and GT in particular, i kind of feel bad for the developers. They obviously put a lot of work and passion into this, but they have to cut so many corners due to underpowered hardware time and time again. In cases like this, i wish console hardware would advance at a far more rapid pace so that developers can finally achieve what they are aiming for.

The cars and lighting in GT Sport look beautiful but the trackside and environment graphics are dragging the overall quality of the visuals down so much. At very specific times of day (early morning or late evening), when it gets a bit darker and the environment becomes less visible, the game starts to shine visually.

I truly hope i’ll still see the day when developers in games like these can fully realise their vision without hardware restrictions. But it will most probably still take several console generations.

The name of this game on the PS4 menu is "Gran Turismo SPORT Beta-Version".

What the fuck people? Is this a troll invasion? One says it looks not more than average, the other comes with something like this, the next one says he goes back to Forza. Holy smokes.

Because I have criticisms of the demo and Polyphony's choices I'm a troll? Okay. And sorry if I'm misremembering the title, I only remember seeing the Beta symbol. Regardless of semantics, all I'm saying is that it doesn't present a picture of the online play as a stable experience. I'm still gunshy from Driveclub, I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not like this is a public stress test 6 months away from launch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally really liking the game much more than I thought, even though I'm still skeptical about the value proposition of an online-mostly GT title. I haven't had this much fun driving in GT since the PS2 days.

From the official page on Gran Turismo website:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. You really think most potential GT buyers will ever see that either? Most people, like probably most people in this thread, just said, "Oh shit, GTS demo? Hell yeah!" and downloaded. That's why I framed this criticism in a marketing and PR perspective.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
That had us download what seems to be damn near the full game with progress that carries over, a week before the official launch. They can call it whatever they want, but betas these days are hardly such.

Aspiring

This game so far is amazing. Graphics unreal, gameplay sublime and i have yet to touch online. So far just single player. Cant wait for full game to drop!

King_Moc

Banned
That had us download what seems to be damn near the full game with progress that carries over, a week before the official launch. They can call it whatever they want, but betas these days are hardly such.

The entire reason this is free and for 4 days only is to get as many people on as possible. It's a server stress test, pure and simple.

Because I have criticisms of the demo and Polyphony's choices I'm a troll? Okay. And sorry if I'm misremembering the title, I only remember seeing the Beta symbol. Regardless of semantics, all I'm saying is that it doesn't present a picture of the online play as a stable experience. I'm still gunshy from Driveclub, I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not like this is a public stress test 6 months away from launch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally really liking the game much more than I thought, even though I'm still skeptical about the value proposition of an online-mostly GT title. I haven't had this much fun driving in GT since the PS2 days.

No it's alright, don't get me wrong, it's just that there is so much negativity raining down at the same time right now while this thread was very calm and friendly before.

It was just like "what the fuck is happening now?"

No it's alright, don't get me wrong, it's just that there is so much negativity raining down at the same time right now while this thread was very calm and friendly before.

It was just like "what the fuck is happening now?"

Yeah, no worries, it's always good to check negativity when it piles up. Most of my criticisms really have to do with Polyphony's handling of the demo/beta or whatever you want to call it, not the demo itself. The gameplay, the presentation, all of that is pretty fantastic, a few issues aside.

I'm really enjoying it. The visuals are inconsistent as expected, but they're good at worst and exceptional at best in my opinion. I love the handling and the sounds are the best that they've ever been in a GT game.

The thing that I'm most impressed with, though, is the presentation of the package. It just feels so classy, polished, and refined.

My only lingering concern are the servers. I appreciate that this is technically a beta, but with so much of the game relying on an Internet connection, they need to ensure this is 99.9% stable come launch day. No excuses.

Otherwise, Polyphony have done good. Really excited.

EDIT: Also, I agree with the people saying that the server issues aren't great for the mainstream player. Most GAF members will be able to ignore hiccups because they'll understand, but this has definitely been billed as demo (whether that's correct or not) and it will leave a bad impression for more mainstream players.

It's a shame but that's just the way it is. Better these issues happen now than on launch day regardless.

Not impressed with the game at all. Was so looking forward to this. The handling is beyond bad, graphics are nothing like the gifs posted here on gaf. And the sounds, while better than 6, its still bad compared to the competition. Played for 2 hours and ive uninstalled the game. How the mighty have fallen.

King_Moc

Banned
I agree. It is.

Sorry, misunderstood your post then. Still, it's always weird to see people complaining about online issues during a stress test. They need the issues to occur to know how to get it working right at their end.

Now, if people have an issue with the always online nature of the game, that's a different argument. But I'd agree with them there.

cakely

Finished my first daily race. 8th place on Dragon Tail.

It was chill AF. I loved the qualifying laps, and the warmups while you wait for the race to begin.

I think I may be sold on the concept of the game now.

Vol5

This game looks fucking amazing supersampled. Incredible.

Northern isle speedway. Night time race. I'm not usually one to be impressed with graphics but seriously , this looks like a next gen title. 1080p supersampled is where it's at.

Stillmatic

HCHG0ZP.gif

DSiaTk3.gif

YlJGCZk.gif

gBceqiR.gif

7tCdpiD.gif

2DiH2lS.gif

TkvVotZ.gif

Only difference I can see in replay gameplay view and gameplay is the draw pop-in distance is a tiny bit larger in replay, the lod of the driver is better.

So stuff like this that some people were complaining about not being representative of gameplay, well...it is.

Replay from gameplay view: Gameplay
Replay from roadside/air views: Added DOF and Motion Blur

Finished my first daily race. 8th place on Dragon Tail.

It was chill AF. I loved the qualifying laps, and the warmups while you wait for the race to begin.

I think I may be sold on the concept of the game now.

This.

I wasn't sure on the online focus, but I had heaps of fun with the daily races. The warm ups and qualifying times, combined with wanting to have an excellent SR - made me confident that they've moved in the right direction.

Yes it wil have rain. If not, Kaz and PD has some 'splaining to do.

1. Kaz on PS Blog 4 days ago.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...car-classes-and-tracks-of-gran-turismo-sport/

2. The online game manual that went up today.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/race/content08

Sunny weather
Fine weather

no explaining needed. somebody who went to that polyphony tour said there wouldn't be rain, only wet roads

Cr5CG75.jpg

wet surface is just the same as GT6 in behaviour.

benzy

Sunny weather
Fine weather

no explaining needed. somebody who went to that polyphony tour said there wouldn't be rain, only wet roads

Cr5CG75.jpg

wet surface is just the same as GT6 in behaviour.

Where did this pic come from. I also recall the press tour media saying there would be rain.

DD

I'm trying to get it via PC browser but I'm getting a message saying that I need PS Plus to download it. Is this right? I can't play a effin' limited time demo if I don't pay for the PS plus? This is some kind of Microsoft level of greedyness.

benzy

I'm trying to get it via PC browser but I'm getting a message saying that I need PS Plus to download it. Is this right? I can't play a effin' limited time demo if I don't pay for the PS plus? This is some kind of Microsoft level of greedyness.

It unlocks for non-PS+ people tonight.

Loudninja

It be up for everyone in like 2 hours.

I appreciate people are stoked about this, and maybe the games direction really does speak to you but some of the posts in here are bordering on apologism for the enormous content deficiency the game has. Track list, car list, single player content - I just still think ultimately polyphony should be held to the fire for underdelivering, particularly when their peers deliver so much more so much more frequently. That’s not to say this entry won’t be enjoyable but, for those saying, “this is great, I’m happy with the direction they’ve taken, no looking back” - I think we should temper that thinking. What polyphony has delivered here should not have come at the cost of what they left out. I think they’re testing the waters on what they can get away with.

Ended up canceling my preorder based on the demo. I've loved every GT I've played and was looking forward to this despite the online multiplayer focus but...it seems like this game just isn't for me :/

KORNdoggy

HCHG0ZP.gif

DSiaTk3.gif

YlJGCZk.gif

gBceqiR.gif

7tCdpiD.gif

2DiH2lS.gif

TkvVotZ.gif

Only difference I can see in replay gameplay view and gameplay is the draw pop-in distance is a tiny bit larger in replay, the lod of the driver is better.

So stuff like this that some people were complaining about not being representative of gameplay, well...it is.

Replay from gameplay view: Gameplay
Replay from roadside/air views: Added DOF and Motion Blur

Besides some random bushes that seem to move between gameplay and replay, those look the same to me.

I appreciate people are stoked about this, and maybe the games direction really does speak to you but some of the posts in here are bordering on apologism for the enormous content deficiency the game has. Track list, car list, single player content - I just still think ultimately polyphony should be held to the fire for underdelivering, particularly when their peers deliver so much more so much more frequently. That's not to say this entry won't be enjoyable but, for those saying, ”this is great, I'm happy with the direction they've taken, no looking back" - I think we should temper that thinking. What polyphony has delivered here should not have come at the cost of what they left out.
Fair point imho.

This game feels like Polyphony's Forza 5. Low on content in terms of tracks and cars but consistent quality throughout.

Oh noez. You can't get the same benefits of PS+ without paying for PS+. Woe is everything.

Makki

Every racing game thread seems to be chuckfull with vindictive asses rallying to bring down the game’s achievements, its weird, why do sims bring the worst in people...

Anyway, the demo has got me addicted. With a controller it requires tons of finesse with the assists off and the weight transfer on cars is telepathic, really awesome. The engine sounds are a significant upgrade from previous iterations and Im finding myself turning up the volume for a first time in a GT game. The graphics in 4K HDR look bar non like the best my TV has ever output console game-wise.

I am having a really hard time getting off the line though without traction control. I had to turn it on for the driver license tests because I could not get gold otherwise.

Cant wait for the full release

Top Bottom