• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Unveiling live stream discussion (incl. FIA Championship gameplay)

This is pCARS, yes? I should never have refunded it before it went live, such a stupid mistake :/
It's pretty good, although it's also very buggy (even on version 9, or whatever it is we're up to). It still feels like a Beta. On PS4 the graphics are incredibly inconsistent: it looks amazing at some times, and rubbish at others. It plays terribly with a controller unfortunately.

The sound is amazing though, the range of cars, tracks, and car liveries are great, the career mode is a proper career mode (even if it's not perfect), and the UI is great. The dynamic weather and lighting effects are fantastic and probably what I like most about the game, along with the sound. I do miss the Gran Turismo polish, graphics, and sense of progression (in the older GT games anyway), along with the fact that GT feels so much better on a controller.

It's pretty good, although it's also very buggy (even on version 9, or whatever it is we're up to). It still feels like a Beta. On PS4 the graphics are incredibly inconsistent: it looks amazing at some times, and rubbish at others. It plays terribly with a controller unfortunately.

The sound is amazing though, the range of cars, tracks, and car liveries are great, the career mode is a proper career mode (even if it's not perfect), and the UI is great. The dynamic weather and lighting effects are fantastic and probably what I like most about the game, along with the sound. I do miss the Gran Turismo polish, graphics, and sense of progression (in the older GT games anyway), along with the fact that GT feels so much better on a controller.

I agree with absolutely everything that you said, bar two things: pCARS' UI is the worst user interface known to men. And if going from karts to a LMP1 car in Le Mans don't give you any sense of progress, well, nothing will.

I agree with absolutely everything that you said, bar two things: pCARS' UI is the worst user interface known to men. And if going from karts to a LMP1 car in Le Mans don't give you any sense of progress, well, nothing will.
For the UI, it works quite nicely on a controller I thought (unlike the driving lol). With GT5, at times it almost felt like the UI had been designed for a mouse and then retrofitted for controller, which is obviously bizarre in the circumstances :)

In terms of progression, you get a quick movie of a 3D trophy when you win a championship in Project Cars, and then you're in a new championship. I quite liked the winning money and cars aspect of GT games, it felt like there was a more tangible reward as you progressed through the SP events. Maybe 'progression' wasn't the right word for what I was talking about there.

nasanu

Banned
Some impressions form someone who actually played GT6 and spent a lot of time with GTS:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...r-box-concludes.337545/page-487#post-11392765

"My first impressions were “wow!” The graphics are a big step up over PS3, as expected, but I was impressed at the very high levels of polish"

"a huge improvement on the sounds in GT6 "

"I can say that the physics are a massive improvement"

Backs up what I have been saying. Despite the initial impressions from half a world away and not having played it, GTS seems like it might be great.

Key points are better sound, great graphics, improved physics and a real world flag rules.

But hey, don't listen to experienced racers who have played it, watch a youtube clip and dismiss it offhand.

But hey, don't listen to experienced racers who have played it, watch a youtube clip and dismiss it offhand.
I'm trying to think about whose impressions I would trust the most for a game like GTS, and Team VVV is the name that keeps coming up. What did they think of GTS after getting some hands on time with it? I'll check out their vids tonight, but can anyone summarise their thoughts so far?

And how might you expect this condescending statement to apply to the arguments of sound? We've had direct feed footage. Audio doesn't compress anywhere near as badly as video, we can clearly hear for ourselves, not just taking some guy's opinion, that the sounds are still the worst in the whole of the racing genre.

willbsn13

I think people are more mad at the fact that this game

- removed Dynamic TOD from GT6
- removed Dynamic Weather from GT6
- removed what seems like the offline career mode from GT6
- has 137 cars, which is 1/3 of GT6's premiums which we were told were future proofed for future generations

These are points we don't need to have played the game to get an opinion on. And for some people, these are big reasons to purchase or not to purchase the game.

For the UI, it works quite nicely on a controller I thought (unlike the driving lol). With GT5, at times it almost felt like the UI had been designed for a mouse and then retrofitted for controller, which is obviously bizarre in the circumstances :)

In terms of progression, you get a quick movie of a 3D trophy when you win a championship in Project Cars, and then you're in a new championship. I quite liked the winning money and cars aspect of GT games, it felt like there was a more tangible reward as you progressed through the SP events. Maybe 'progression' wasn't the right word for what I was talking about there.

I see, yeah, there is this lack of rewards. Maybe they should invest in making you appear as star, if you succeed. I'm against money to buy cars because it'd spoil the motorsport aspect of the game.

But the AI is a clusterfuck. Mascot is a huge fan of it, just like myself.

nasanu

Banned
I think people are more mad at the fact that this game

- removed Dynamic TOD from GT6
- removed Dynamic Weather from GT6
- removed what seems like the offline career mode from GT6
- has 137 cars, which is 1/3 of GT6's premiums which we were told were future proofed for future generations

These are points we don't need to have played the game to get an opinion on. And for some people, these are big reasons to purchase or not to purchase the game.

Why not judge the game on its own merit instead of expecting it to be a GT6 remake? Seriously who cares what you "were told"? How do the things you believe change the game code?

farisr

Man... E3 is next month... what if the games looks stellar then?

lol
Frankly, I have no doubt in my mind the game will look (and possibly even sound, though I don't care that much for that aspect like some others do here) at the very least decent by the time it releases. It's the features/content offering and asking for full price for this release that's the real issue at this point for me.

Solal

Why not judge the game on its own merit instead of expecting it to be a GT6 remake? Seriously who cares what you "were told"? How do the things you believe change the game code?

How dynamic weather, TOD and a career would automatically make it a GT6 remake ?

Dynamic weather and TOD were big plus to GT on the previous gen. Can't you see how not having them this time makes it a regression?

And it was the only thing that GT had that no other driving car had... all the rest could be found on Forza for instance.

Regretting them is totally legit. This is a gameplay regression: plain and simple.

That you don't care doesn't change the facts.

And what's with the condescending tone mate? Could you please try to be a bit cooler? The most vocal posters here are real, true dissappointed GT fans. You shouldn't dismiss them.

Mascot

On PS4 the graphics are incredibly inconsistent: it looks amazing at some times, and rubbish at others.

I have to disagree here, unless you are talking about 40+ grids in a thunderstorm at night. I can run 20-car grids in all conditions and performance is fine. Some tracks (eg the p2p ones) have bad tearing in places, but for the vast majority of the time when racing sensible grids on circuits the game looks incredible. Don't forget GT5 & 6 had really inconsistent performance. I'd say pCARS performs better overall (as it should do, on generationally-better hardware).

But the AI is a clusterfuck. Mascot is a huge fan of it, just like myself.

Did you mean UI? Yeah, it's not too intuitive, but muscle memory means I can whizz around it now, but it has very weird logic applied for things like changing liverie etc.

If you actually meant AI, then (apart from for the open wheelers) I'd say it's the best AI I've raced against in any game.

Type_Raver

While the PS4 install base 40m+ and growing, I have a hard time believing that GTS will sell more than GT6. I feel like the long the GT series goes one, the more of a niche its carving for itself.

Thats not to say it wont be good, but just my thoughts based my experience with the series over the years.

nasanu

Banned
How dynamic weather, TOD and a career would automatically make it a GT6 remake ?

Dynamic weather and TOD were big plus to GT on the previous gen. Can't you see how not having them this time makes it a regression?

And it was the only thing that GT had that no other driving car had... all the rest could be found on Forza for instance.

Regretting them is totally legit. This is a gameplay regression: plain and simple.

That you don't care doesn't change the facts.

And what's with the condescending tone mate? Could you please try to be a bit cooler? The most vocal posters here are real, true dissappointed GT fans. You shouldn't dismiss them.

When a person says those features have been removed then it's obvious they think the game is a remake. Why I don't mourn their loss is two fold. First reason is that they weren't quite right, as beautiful as GT6 was sometimes the dynamic lighting causes it to look horrible and broken and the wet track wasn't done right. Secondly, they will be back when they are good enough to be included. This is what KY has been trying to get across, bad bits that can be removed have been removed, but I doubt relegated to history.

And true GT fans? I highly question that when they are so disinterested in cars that they hate on motorsports finest driving tracks. The F1 is at Monaco this weekend. Do you think we will hear complaints about the track? No, well not other than manhole covers...

I have to disagree here, unless you are talking about 40+ grids in a thunderstorm at night. I can run 20-car grids in all conditions and performance is fine. Some tracks (eg the p2p ones) have bad tearing in places, but for the vast majority of the time when racing sensible grids on circuits the game looks incredible. Don't forget GT5 & 6 had really inconsistent performance. I'd say pCARS performs better overall (as it should do, on generationally-better hardware).
I was talking about graphics rather than performance. The tearing can be really obtrusive at times, LOD pop-in can be incredibly jarring, and the same with shadow pop-in; so bad at times that the game looks fairly awful. Those three issues in particular kind of ruin the replay mode for me, which sucks because one of my favourite things in these games is to watch the replay after a race :( In terms of grid numbers, I'm talking about the career mode so it's set by the game, not me.

As I mentioned, when things come together though it looks great - certainly better than the gameplay segments of the GTS trailer, at least in my opinion.

Performance-wise I have no real problem with Project Cars, but then I never did with GT5 either.

The F1 is at Monaco this weekend. Do you think we will hear complaints about the track? No, well not other than manhole covers...
Well Nelson Piquet famously described it as like riding a bicycle around your living room... :)

Mascot

And true GT fans? I highly question that when they are so disinterested in cars that they hate on motorsports finest driving tracks. The F1 is at Monaco this weekend. Do you think we will hear complaints about the track? No, well not other than manhole covers...

Ha ha..! F1 at Monaco is a fucking joke, up there with Forza's LMPs on the cobblestones of Positano. The Monaco GP is easily the most inappropriate car/track combo in motorsports. F1 needs it because of the historic glamour it adds to the calendar, but as an actual competitive race it's ridiculous. It makes for a great spectacle and for the ubers to show off their wealth, but there's no way that track would ever get sanctioned with these cars if it was introduced fresh today.

Ha ha..! F1 at Monaco is a fucking joke, up there with Forza's LMPs on the cobblestones of Positano. The Monaco GP is easily the most inappropriate car/track combo in motorsports. F1 needs it because of the historic glamour it adds to the calendar, but as an actual competitive race it's ridiculous. It makes for a great spectacle and for the ubers to show off their wealth, but there's no way that track would ever get sanctioned with these cars if it was introduced fresh today.

Yeah too much power for too little space, maybe a Fiat 500 race on there would suit, but F1 should have ditched it years ago. I guess it's in the calendar so the drivers can go to their Monaco home for a bit early season.

Gestault

No one's asking for a remake, it's just the hope that a follow-up game on newer hardware with a more experienced team could develop something with the same core competencies they did a few years back. Putting "were told" in quotes suggests it wasn't true or was a misnomer, but that was an active point brought up by PD throughout that last several games, and it's a reasonable point of annoyance.

This is coming from someone pretty much fine with those trade-offs so long as the core experience feels mechanically impressive and the game structure is interesting.

With the weather, rain will have to be redone and I don't think it was any good in GT5/6. TOD was brilliant, I think we'll see it appear in an update or the next game.

PD are snail slow, this shouldn't be news but people have every right to complain. For PD this is a clean slate again after busting a gut on PS3. I really think it's time for PD/Sony to accept PD need more technical help.

The theory is GT is special. Every little thing is put through the ethos and this makes GT what it is and pulls in the 10 million sales. Chucking a bunch of devs in from all over the place might spoil the broth, it will become a generic soup and not carefully crafted. This was all fine from GT1 - 4, you can have that overseeing quality assurance as development was just quicker. After GT4 PD has pretty much ground to a halt.

While I love GT, we also don't have long on this earth and I believe there are other devs who have the quality assurance to help and quicken the process instead of causing more delay. Obviously folks at Evolution come to mind. GT should be able to afford a much bigger team to get full games out like they did before PS3.

Lets be honest though there aren't many who can help and even T10 haven't got dynamic TOD in yet. Going from set lighting to Dynamic and then Dynamic for every track takes a lot of development. Quality teams aren't a dime a dozen which makes ND a special team.

GT's fantasy tracks still hold up today. I don't see any car game coming up with close or better ones. Kaz has said when he looks at other car games he doesn't see they're any good and I would agree that the vast majority lack the polish and craft.

Thing is we need these tracks updated pronto. I'll be fucking 50 years old if we carry on waiting for PD.

Mascot

Yeah too much power for too little space, maybe a Fiat 500 race on there would suit, but F1 should have ditched it years ago. I guess it's in the calendar so the drivers can go to their Monaco home for a bit early season.

I like that idea. Keep Monaco in the F1 rotation but put the drivers in Fiat 500s for that one race. It would be one hell of a lot more interesting.

Actually, stick them in different cars for every round.

Bernie!

Did you mean UI? Yeah, it's not too intuitive, but muscle memory means I can whizz around it now, but it has very weird logic applied for things like changing liverie etc.

Yeah, I meant the UI.

When a person says those features have been removed then it's obvious they think the game is a remake.

Wait, what? If the next Call of Duty comes out whitout multiplayer, or sniper rifles, and fans start pointing that out, the game automatically becomes a remake? Please, entertain me, explain this logic.

Let me get this straight, so a gamer who doesn't have any car culture can't be a fan of GT? More to the point, so in order to be accounted as a GT fan people have to got exactly your tastes on tracks and cars? Feel free to explain.

Pophead

Straight outta GTPlanet
received_1116573798407075-jpeg.550137

From the Nurburgring 24H

bombshell

BRB booking flight to Germany

Given that they've pressed a demo disc, doesn't this kind shit on Kazs excuse for lack of beta? Maybe push the demo up to the store instead?

Not really. There's a huge difference between the resources needed to conduct an open online beta versus letting a few select people play it.

danowat

Banned
Not really. There's a huge difference between the resources needed to conduct an open online beta versus letting a few select people play it.

They've mastered a disc copy, that takes a fair bit of resources, I fail to see any reason why they couldn't stick that on the store.

bombshell

Well yes, but if he is sorry like he says he is for the beta not happening, why not push the demo out instead?

GT Sport has a very big online focus, so I take it the demo also has, it's likely the same build that was in London. So the demo is not pushed out to the public because running the online for millions of people would take resources away from the development and would mean a delay of the game, as per Kaz's explanation.

They've mastered a disc copy, that takes a fair bit of resources, I fail to see any reason why they couldn't stick that on the store.

Other than preparing a build for the London event, which I assume is the same build as on the disc, that's not something that takes resources away from PD. Sony is handling that.

danowat

Banned
Other than preparing a build for the London event, which I assume is the same build as on the disc, that's not something that takes resources away from PD. Sony is handling that.

So get Sony to chuck it up then, the code is done, it's there on a disc, again, I fail to see any coherent reason why it couldn't be uploaded to the store.

THE:MILKMAN

So get Sony to chuck it up then, the code is done, it's there on a disc, again, I fail to see any coherent reason why it couldn't be uploaded to the store.

Seems to me this is the beta that should have been released but PD got cold feet and instead put it on disc and are doing these events.

You guys are out of your minds. The Nordschleife is the greatest track in the world.
Sucks for short races, but it's the best for hot-lapping and endurance.

I'm not a fan of driving Bathurst, but seeing people who're good at it battle it out there is fantastic (where else do 1st, 2nd and 3rd trade places as often per lap as on Bathurst even though you're in constant danger of hitting a wall?!), so... Leave that track alone too.

If you want to drop a track, drop Le Mans. It's boring to watch, it's boring to drive and it takes away more dev time to get it right than giant tracks like VIR or the Nordschleife, which are mostly in the middle of the woods/green.
This is the truth!

But I would keep the Bugatti variant, that's ok.

Mascot

No one knows when it will land.

It might never come out at all if the mythical beta is anything to go by.

I get the feeling that PD release things only with great reluctance. If Kaz was a billionaire he'd probably have it as his own private game.

Edit: those stickers still have 'the real driving simulator' subtitle but the demo pack logo does not.

How long before that demo is torrented or stuck on eBay?

It might never come out at all if the mythical beta is anything to go by.

I get the feeling that PD release things only with great reluctance. If Kaz was a billionaire he'd probably have it as his own private game.

Edit: those stickers still have 'the real driving simulator' subtitle but the demo pack logo does not.

How long before that demo is torrented or stuck on eBay?

eBay maybe, torrent, I'm not aware that there is any method of playing it, so unlikely unless people just want to try digging in to what's on the disc

THE:MILKMAN

You think it takes the same amount of resources running it for a select few people versus running it for millions?

In light of what happened to DRIVECLUB you would think the first thing on the list PD/Sony would want to tick is how the online code responds to 100's of thousands of real life people.

If launch day is the first time such a mass scale real world test is done I'd imagine they'll be quite a few clenched buttocks at PD.

bombshell

Surely my question marks speak for themselves?, I am asking the question, if you know what resources it takes, then explain it.

For one, a single server can only manage a finite number of players / races, so the server amount needed is obviously not the same.

Then there's the personnel needed to make sure everything is running as it should. Imagine the backlash they would face if nothing was working in a public beta played by millions of people. Same personnel is most likely working on finishing the online side of the game, hence the delay to the game that running the beta/demo would mean. I'm thinking this delay would mean a delay from current November 15 release to 2017 and they don't want to miss this holiday season.

Mascot

Maybe the demo is totally offline only, in which case PD should really think about getting in on PSN asap to compensate for yanking the rug from under the beta then quietly whispering an apology.

I still have friends who think the beta is about to land, and because I'm cruel I don't tell them otherwise.

Top Bottom