• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Unveiling live stream discussion (incl. FIA Championship gameplay)

Holy shit. Have never seen so many cars crash at one corner. Some of those saves were very lucky as well.

Man, I know there are things to be disappointed about and concerned with, but there is an awful lot of vitriol towards GT seems other games don't get.

It comes with the popularity.

Man, I know there are things to be disappointed about and concerned with, but there is an awful lot of vitriol towards GT seems other games don't get. People scream for 60 FPS but then when graphics aren't cutting edge complain...forza wasn't a looker either and that's ok. Seems GT gets more harshly judged. After saying that the lack of proper career mode will kill any notion I have of getting GT sport.
I agree, but it has a reason. GT series were always giant monsters in terms of graphics. from PS1 games with nice graphics to PS2 games with amazing details in 60fps to PS3 games with fantastic models in 16 player races + dynamic weather and day/night + great animations and smoke/dirt effects in 1440*1080. Although they had flaws like frame drops, but they were technical monsters.
GTS is beautiful too, but it's not what I expect from a studio like PD. I thought PD will make a jaw dropping game with PS4 hardware, specially after removing dynamic weather and day/night. but it still has frame drops, screen tearing and ugly shadows.

Offtopic, but 24hr of Nirburgring race is on and massive rain and ICE fall have redflagged the race. Metric shitton of cars were not only sent into walls, but many are still isolated on track and cannot go back to the grid.

rain pics

Apocalyptic shots right now on the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zspyrZ07Ok. Rain started ~40mins into the race, you can bring the stream back to that point.

and on the rest of the track...

2016-05-2816_32_52-intys97.jpg

When will this kind of weather be in racing sims? :)

Tell me about it! I am wett down to the bones (doesn't translate well, I guess).

Will post rain pics from Wehrseifen later :).

Man, I know there are things to be disappointed about and concerned with, but there is an awful lot of vitriol towards GT seems other games don't get. People scream for 60 FPS but then when graphics aren't cutting edge complain...forza wasn't a looker either and that's ok. Seems GT gets more harshly judged. After saying that the lack of proper career mode will kill any notion I have of getting GT sport.

With GT vs. Forza, it's more the fact that GT isn't really a 60fps game anyway. I'm willing to look past many graphical issues with Forza just because it's completely locked at 60 and has never, ever dropped. With GT I'm more likely to nitpick graphics and think "they'd rather have THIS than locked 60? Doesn't even look that good" and that kinda stuff.

With GT vs. Forza, it's more the fact that GT isn't really a 60fps game anyway. I'm willing to look past many graphical issues with Forza just because it's completely locked at 60 and has never, ever dropped. With GT I'm more likely to nitpick graphics and think "they'd rather have THIS than locked 60? Doesn't even look that good" and that kinda stuff.

You went to the future and know GT sport won't be locked 60?

That doesn't answer my question..the game is 6 months out, you don't know if it will be 60 FPS by launch..performance is always going to be tweaked up until and after release.

But you also don't know if it won't. GT5 and 6 still can't hold 60 to save their life, I don't have high hopes for PD hitting a locked framerate.

You are the one who said it won't be locked 60 FPS, the burden of proof is on you. You are the one making the claim.

I said GT in general, not GT Sport. The last two titles aren't locked 60, a proven fact. I was saying I'd rather have GT Sport be a locked 60 but it doesn't look likely, not that it factually isn't locked.

I said GT in general, not GT Sport. The last two titles aren't locked 60, a proven fact. I was saying I'd rather have GT Sport be a locked 60 but it doesn't look likely, not that it factually isn't locked.

So you proved my point then, you don't know. Gt5 and 6 are irrelevant here, those were on PS3, last gen games were never 60 FPS locked. You can't knock GT sport and give Forza a pass on ther assumption Gt sport wont have 60 FPS locked.

farisr

So you proved my point then, you don't know. Gt5 and 6 are irrelevant here, those were on PS3, last gen games were never 60 FPS locked. You can't knock GT sport and give Forza a pass on ther assumption Gt sport wont have 60 FPS locked.
The Forza games were 60fps locked last gen. Plenty of other games were 60fps locked as well. It was up entirely to the dev. The past works of a dev that follow the same trend will always be used as a precedent unless the dev finally comes out with a release that breaks the trend.

If Turn10 showed off a build of Forza that had framerate issues, people would have no problems giving them the benefit of the doubt that the final version would be a locked 60, due to their track record of the last few releases. PD on the other hand not delivering locked experiences with their past few entries is going to make it hard for someone to believe or assume that they'll deliver a locked 60fps experience with the final release.

So you proved my point then, you don't know. Gt5 and 6 are irrelevant here, those were on PS3, last gen games were never 60 FPS locked.

I don't see how GT5 and 6 are irrelevant when they're the most recent games from the developer in question, all I'm saying is that those are the "trend" of how PD has worked lately.

Also, last gen games weren't 60FPS locked? What are you talking about? Locking at 60 is entirely a developer decision, it has nothing to do with the hardware.

You can't knock GT sport and give Forza a pass on ther assumption Gt sport wont have 60 FPS locked.

Uhhhh, maybe because the one I'm giving a "pass" to has been locked at 60 since 2009?

EDIT: Or 2007 possibly. Not sure if FM2 was locked or just very steady.

But you also don't know if it won't. GT5 and 6 still can't hold 60 to save their life, I don't have high hopes for PD hitting a locked framerate.

From what I saw yesterday on several screens, the framerate was already really smooth, from start to end. I have no doubt that GT6 will hit 60fps at least most of the time. That said, I am not DF, so maybe what they showed was constant 55 fps ;).

And some more pics from yesterday:

2016-05-2713.33.36s0l8c.jpg

gtc6lom.jpg

But again, my highlight of the game was the driving, not the graphics. Really loved it, actually so much that I am really thinking about getting me a new wheel (sold my G27 months ago).

Caayn

Thanks for the updates Bitch Pudding!

Even though "wet to the bones" doesn't translate well to English, I as your country neighbour understood what you meant :)
Huh??

You're talking yourself into a corner here.

danowat

Banned
You are the one who said it won't be locked 60 FPS, the burden of proof is on you. You are the one making the claim.
The devs themselves said they may not be able to hit 60fps locked, hopefully they can because it's very important IMO.

Unfortunately, Yamauchi can’t still confirm that Gran Turismo Sports will indeed run at 1080p/60FPS, as the team has still to work on an issue which makes the frame rate drop below 60FPS. He seems pretty determined to fix this issue, though, as he feels that the game not running in optimal conditions, cannot be considered as a proper game.

Q10. So you confirm this game runs on 1080p / 60 FPS?
A10. Rather than confirming, we are going to work on the problem that sometimes it drops below 60FPS. I believe if the game does not run on this condition, it is not a game.

DieH@rd

Banned
PSVR version will have lowered detail [LOD distances, weaker shadows, reduced particle effects, etc], so I don't fear much for the framerate.

Apex

PSVR version will have lowered detail [LOD distances, weaker shadows, reduced particle effects, etc], so I don't fear much for the framerate.
Apparently so, but we don't know if GTS will be the same or different to GTS VR, and apparently GTS isn't quite hitting 60 yet.
So there will exist two GTS versiones one locked at 60fps that can be play also on a screen with the PSVR tv-out and the regular GTS version that no one knows if it will have a locked framerate, with the exception of the people who played the last demos which are being very positive in this regard?

So, where is the drama? no matter what happens in six months it seems that everybody will have a version to choose that will fit their tastes.

Mascot

So there will exist two GTS versiones one locked at 60fps that can be play also on a screen with the PSVR tv-out and the regular GTS version that no one knows if it will have a locked framerate

Three versions, probably.

1. Regular PS4 version: fluctuating framerate and screen tearing, occasionally hits 60fps.
  2. PSVR version: PS3-quality graphics but 100% locked v-synched 60fps.
  3. Neo version: looks like real life and distributes cold beer while dishing out hand jobs.

All will have shit sound.

danowat

Banned
Three versions, probably.

1. Regular PS4 version: fluctuating framerate and screen tearing, occasionally hits 60fps.
  2. PSVR version: PS3-quality graphics but 100% locked v-synched 60fps.
  3. Neo version: looks like real like and distributes cold beer while dishing out hand jobs.

All will have shit sound.

Neo is going to be a hornets nest, two tier hardware levels are never a great idea for fixed spec machines.

LoveCake

I hope I don't get beat up for asking this :(

Is Gran Turismo Sport going to be more like Forza Motosport 6 than Gran Turismo 5?

The reason I ask is because I loved the original Gran Turismo on the PS1 I still have my original copy and the disc still smells of rubber! and I played it to death, I really enjoyed Gran Turismo 2 as well and also 3 Aspec but when I got Forza on the Xbox it gave me the sense of joy that I had felt in the original Gran Turismo, where as 3 Aspec seemed to be more clinical in the gameplay, like a simulator but this is not how the original felt to me (I know Gran Turismo is supposed to be more of a simulation game) but the Forza MotorSport games have kept giving me that same feeling, and for me Forza MorotSport 6 is the best racing/driving game there is as a complete package.

I skipped Gran Turismo 4 as I continued with the Forza games until I fell for the hype and got Gran Turismo 5 Signature Edition and I hated it, I know it had updates and was improved on from the release version but I had traded it in long before then.

I know Forza Motorsport has more an arcade feel to it, but that is what I like and enjoy, I have Drive Club and that is ok to look at but I just don't feel the game, I also had Project CARS on the PS4 but I just couldn't on with it sadly.

So I am genuinely asking what Gran Turismo Sport is going/supposed to be like? (I will be playing with the regular PS4 controller NOT a wheel)

^ It's still probably going to feel like a Gran Turismo than anything else. Supposedly this one is even more realistic but every series says that for every sequel. I'd imagine GTS is more iterative in the physics department than making a drastic change and behaving like another game.

Of course take it with a grain of salt because I'm only assuming based on what we've seen/heard, but that's just the way it seems. It's a shame too because the physics in GT have felt weird since GT5 to be honest.

I know Forza Motorsport has more an arcade feel to it, but that is what I like and enjoy, I have Drive Club and that is ok to look at but I just don't feel the game, I also had Project CARS on the PS4 but I just couldn't on with it sadly.
What was the last Forza you played that felt arcady compared to Gran Turismo? Forza Motorsport has less grip than pCARS or GT and it doesn't encourage drifting or anything in the career races. Not saying it's iRacing in terms of realism, but... agh, whatever...

terrible

Banned
What was the last Forza you played that felt arcady compared to Gran Turismo? Forza Motorsport has less grip than pCARS or GT and it doesn't encourage drifting or anything in the career races. Not saying it's iRacing in terms of realism, but... agh, whatever...

The physics sure encourage drifting though. It's one of the easiest games to drift in that I've ever played. I can drift around an entire track with ease. Very easy to get the back end out and it's super easy to maintain control once it does. Pretty arcadey in that sense.

LoveCake

Well I don't know, I get told that Forza is more an arcady game than Gran Turismo and/or others (I don't think it has myself, that would be something like Need for Speed imo), I didn't really like the feel of Project CARS because you have grip, grip, grip, grip, NO grip CRASH I find DriveClub to have more progressive grip feel but not as much as Forza Motorsport 6 progressive feel, I know I am only using the standard X1 pad but through the visuals and pad I can feel the grip giving way enough so that I can ease off to stop the slide/drift or accelerate to continue if required, I will add that I keep TCS, STM and ABS on and I only use the bumper camera viewpoint, one issue I do have with the Playstaion controllers is that the triggers don't have the reach that the Xbox controllers have.

Well I don't know, I get told that Forza is more an arcady game than Gran Turismo and/or others (I don't think it has myself, that would be something like Need for Speed imo), I didn't really like the feel of Project CARS because you have grip, grip, grip, grip, NO grip CRASH I find DriveClub to have more progressive grip feel but not as much as Forza Motorsport 6 progressive feel, I know I am only using the standard X1 pad but through the visuals and pad I can feel the grip giving way enough so that I can ease off to stop the slide/drift or accelerate to continue if required, I will add that I keep TCS, STM and ABS on and I only use the bumper camera viewpoint, one issue I do have with the Playstaion controllers is that the triggers don't have the reach that the Xbox controllers have.

Bolded: Are you sure this isn't just that the XB1's triggers and the game's input are more well-adjusted so you're in better control rather than it being arcadey?

ethomaz

Banned

Is Gran Turismo Sport going to be more like Forza Motosport 6 than Gran Turismo 5?

The reason I ask is because I loved the original Gran Turismo on the PS1 I still have my original copy and the disc still smells of rubber! and I played it to death, I really enjoyed Gran Turismo 2 as well and also 3 Aspec but when I got Forza on the Xbox it gave me the sense of joy that I had felt in the original Gran Turismo, where as 3 Aspec seemed to be more clinical in the gameplay, like a simulator but this is not how the original felt to me (I know Gran Turismo is supposed to be more of a simulation game) but the Forza MotorSport games have kept giving me that same feeling, and for me Forza MorotSport 6 is the best racing/driving game there is as a complete package.

I skipped Gran Turismo 4 as I continued with the Forza games until I fell for the hype and got Gran Turismo 5 Signature Edition and I hated it, I know it had updates and was improved on from the release version but I had traded it in long before then.

So I am genuinely asking what Gran Turismo Sport is going/supposed to be like? (I will be playing with the regular PS4 controller NOT a wheel)
Well what make GT better IMO is because it feel like GT.

GT5 is one of the best games I ever played in my life.

Sad GT6 didn't hold to GT5... GT5 was a complete and overall better package than GT6 dreamed to be.

ethomaz

Banned
Has it ever really been done before? The closest I can think of is the N64's RAM upgrade, which wasn't any problem back then.
PSP and 3DS are the closest I guess.

But there are games that only works on the new 3DS and all PSP doubled the CPU clock.

viperman240

Neo Member

If you're talking about the overall game well don't expect much. GT Sport is going to be focused around online multiplayer and competitive racing. The only single player content is going to tests teaching you how to drive, giving you challenges and driver etiquette courses, so all in all over 100 glorified license tests. There is no campaign or career mode.

If its about how the game plays, it just be a bit more realistic then GT 6, hope this answers you're question.

The feeling "grip, grip, grip, no grip, crash" is correct and it's more inherent in slick tires. pCARS makes a fairly good job at differentiating there compared to Forza or GT. And that's as far as I'm willing to defend pCARS tire model.
If you liked Forza 6's handling and found some fun in DC's hardcore mode, I'm sure you'll like GTS's too. For controller players PD is really good at the "easy to pick up, hard to master"-thing. I'd be more worried about the SP/MP ratio they are going for.

Top Bottom