• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Unveiling live stream discussion (incl. FIA Championship gameplay)

LoveCake

Bolded: Are you sure this isn't just that the XB1's triggers and the game's input are more well-adjusted so you're in better control rather than it being arcadey?

It could be maybe, I had the same thing with driving games on the X360 compared to PS3.

Well what make GT better IMO is because it feel like GT.

GT5 is one of the best games I ever played in my life.

Sad GT6 didn't hold to GT5... GT5 was a complete and overall better package than GT7 dreamed to be.

I hated GT5 I felt ripped off by the Signature Edition even to this day, I know that they updated and improved it over time but I was too angry and disappointed and went back to Forza, I don't want a million cars in a game where 50% are irritations of the same car, nobody wants twenty slightly different variations of a Skyline/GTR.

If you're talking about the overall game well don't expect much. GT Sport is going to be focused around online multiplayer and competitive racing. The only single player content is going to tests teaching you how to drive, giving you challenges and driver etiquette courses, so all in all over 100 glorified license tests. There is no campaign or career mode.

If its about how the game plays, it just be a bit more realistic then GT 6, hope this answers you're question.

Ah so basically just online multiplayer, hmm that is a big minus for me, I didn't know this thanks.

The feeling "grip, grip, grip, no grip, crash" is correct and it's more inherent in slick tires. pCARS makes a fairly good job at differentiating there compared to Forza or GT. And that's as far as I'm willing to defend pCARS tire model.
If you liked Forza 6's handling and found some fun in DC's hardcore mode, I'm sure you'll like GTS's too. For controller players PD is really good at the "easy to pick up, hard to master"-thing. I'd be more worried about the SP/MP ratio they are going for.

I always try and have the slick tires on the cars.

Hmm I think for me that this is going to be a wait and see after release, Polyphony are going to have to create one hell of a game to drag me back unfortunately.

ethomaz

Banned
I hated GT5 I felt ripped off by the Signature Edition even to this day, I know that they updated and improved it over time but I was too angry and disappointed and went back to Forza, I don't want a million cars in a game where 50% are irritations of the same car, nobody wants twenty slightly different variations of a Skyline/GTR.
Hummmmm...

Each Skyline/GTR plays/handle diferent from each other... that is why I want to play with all of them.

Yes... there are pleople that loves that in a game... the details.

Nobody is a strong word... you don't like but others really wants that.

PD don't aim for you I guess and that is fine... there are others games for you.

saladine1

Hummmmm...

Each Skyline/GTR plays/handle diferent from each other... that is why I want to play with all of them.

Yes... there are pleople that loves that in a game... the details.

Nobody is a strong word... you don't like but others really wants that.

PD don't aim for you I guess and that is fine... there are others games for you.

Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V・spec (R33) '95
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V・spec (R33) '96
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V・spec (R33) '97
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R32) '89
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R32) '91
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) '95
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) '96
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) '97
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R34) '99
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R34) '00

Is there really that much of a difference in handling within a given model?

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of the GT games (SOUND SOUND SOUND), but I never understood the criticism of it having too many cars. The extra dev time for adding these variants is absolutely trivial, it's not like it took effort away from other cars.

saladine1

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of the GT games (SOUND SOUND SOUND), but I never understood the criticism of it having too many cars. The extra dev time for adding these variants is absolutely trivial, it's not like it took effort away from other cars.

You can never have too many cars lol.

Having all those variants or not doesn't really bother me to be honest. I'm just asking if there's any substantial difference between a given model to justify the notion that each and every Skyline 'plays' differently..

DrKelpo

Banned

uum... are you sure about that? Even though game developers often get 3D Models from the manufacturers, they have to be put into the game, which takes time.
And if you have ever a thousand cars with a lot of slightly different models, it takes more and more time.
Time that could be spent otherwise.

uum... are you sure about that? Even though game developers often get 3D Models from the manufacturers, they have to be put into the game, which takes time.
And if you have ever a thousand cars with a lot of slightly different models, it takes more and more time.
Time that could be spent otherwise.
There are only very, very slight 3D model changes required for most of these variants. In some cases no 3D model change is required at all, only the specs need to be changed.

I like that they have more models and not just the r-versions like forza, but if it's the same generation of the car, maybe hide the different versions in submenus. Forza should do the same with their race cars. If I want to find a cool user made livery for a formula e car, I don't want to search a dozen (same) cars because they count as different in the menus.

MouldyK

I like that they have more models and not just the r-versions like forza, but if it's the same generation of the car, maybe hide the different versions in submenus. Forza should do the same with their race cars. If I want to find a cool user made livery for a formula e car, I don't want to search a dozen (same) cars because they count as different in the menus.

That's one of my gripes with Forza's NASCAR DLC.

20 Cars...all look the same mostly.

Three versions, probably.

1. Regular PS4 version: fluctuating framerate and screen tearing, occasionally hits 60fps.
  2. PSVR version: PS3-quality graphics but 100% locked v-synched 60fps.
  3. Neo version: looks like real life and distributes cold beer while dishing out hand jobs.

All will have shit sound.

Ugh :|

ethomaz

Banned

Yes.

They can look equal at first bet there are subtle differences in handling... it is really nice when you start to see the differences.

BTW that is why manufactures launched a new version every year... they changed the aerodynamic and engine tunning making them diferents cars.

Even raw specs are diferents for these cars.

Did you try to play with all of them?

Are you sure that this is not a placebo effect?

Kaz did an interview in OPM UK (I think that was the mag) where he was asked why GT has so many variations of the Skyline. He said that back in the 90's there was a big culture around all those variations because they were actually notably different from one another. So you'd basically learn about which one suited what you were looking for in terms of handling, top speed, acceleration etc. But he said in recent years those changes have been much more minor and as a result they'd be dialing back the variations.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you sure that this is not a placebo effect?
The raw specs are different for each model... no placebo... even the weight is diferent and you know it affect handling.

You can check the game and better yet play with the cars for a better comparison.

But I agree the differences are minor.

benzy

G5Rb.jpg

F5Rb.jpg

E5Rb.jpg

[imghttp://i.picpar.com/D5Rb.jpg][/img]

C5Rb.jpg

B5Rb.jpg

A5Rb.jpg

95Rb.jpg

terrible

Banned
The speaker on the first Mustang screenshot looks pretty bad. In general the lighting and materials look really fake and plasticine-like too. Interiors seem really hard to nail though. I haven't really seen a single game with totally believable interiors yet.

hmm... website in under maintenance.

Nice interior shots btw.

EDIT: they updated the Vision Gran Turismo page: http://www.gran-turismo.com/world/vgt/
So all of the will make a comeback in GT Sport...

I wonder... If the Thrustmaster GTS wheel will be direct-drive and really powerful, how many wheels, tables and bones will be broken trying to drive the Tomahawk X. If you own a T500 and have tried the car in GT6 you know what I'm talking about.

Apex

The speaker on the first Mustang screenshot looks pretty bad. In general the lighting and materials look really fake and plasticine-like too. Interiors seem really hard to nail though. I haven't really seen a single game with totally believable interiors yet.
Those images are meant from a studio with bland backgrounds and difuse light that gives a planar and sterile appearance to materials.

This is a real photo taken in the same environment.

ferrari-485-intcfs3g.jpg

I have the impression that the red color of the cockpit is reflected in the pieces Carbon ..no ??
Yes, also the lighting seems to have some radiosity-like appearance.

radiosity_comparisona6jfb.jpg

Sebmugi

1464715846-box-original.jpg

okay cool I did not know the technical name, thank you.
do you think we'll be entitled to that ingame and does it exist in another racing games there this radiosity ? ..it seems to me no in Driveclub ..

I think rather than that being radiosity, they will be using a simple reflection map for the inside of the car which will mask over the usual weird outdoor reflections you get from angles which normally have no business reflecting outdoors, usually any down angled surfaces will reflect the road below, etc. Something I've been wanting to see for a while.

Could be wrong (will check cockpit replay if I can find it) but radiosity shows up best on matte surfaces, here the red highlights seem to be more prominent on the shinier ones.

Apex

1464715846-box-original.jpg

okay cool I did not know the technical name, thank you.
do you think we'll be entitled to that ingame and does it exist in another racing games there this radiosity ? ..it seems to me no in Driveclub ..
It's likely to be also in-game because the effect was absent in similar GT6 pictures:

chevrolet_corvette_stllud4.jpg

G5Rb.jpg

I don't think that any other game is doing that. It's also absent in Driveclub:

avxocxvflu8n.jpg

Could be some hack or a simplified simulation of a light bounce, not designed to affect every interior piece, but it does make a difference.

Those images are meant from a studio with bland backgrounds and difuse light that gives a planar and sterile appearance to materials.

I think he meant the speaker on the bottom right in the mustang interior shot. The speaker that clearly is a 16 sided polygon... that's pretty low even if it were not-foto mode. What happened to this adaptive tessellation tech? Seems to still have some issues.

Apex

I think he meant the speaker on the bottom right in the mustang interior shot. The speaker that clearly is a 16 sided polygon... that's pretty low even if it were not-foto mode. What happened to this adaptive tessellation tech? Seems to still have some issues.
My reply was for the rest of the quote.

It's no rare that some parts are defined with a less tessellated priority to optimize the graphics rendering, specially when are out of the normal playable sight, like that speaker on the lower corner. I'm sure that's meant to be a LOD of the gameplay cockpit. Probably all the parts would be rounded in the "Scapes" mode, if interior photos are allowed, like it happens in GT6 newer cars.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm starting to think Kaz and team are actually all deaf.

edit: it really does boggle my mind that PD, with how huge its team is, has trouble with audio when games like AC and R3E have teams much smaller and get sound so much better (to be fair, though, R3E is almost unbeatable imo).

They rejected the R3E guy. I can't get over that lmao.

Placeholders or not, I am confident they still won't be able to get the shifts sounding right.

How do you know ? GT is famous for its atroucious engine and tyres sounds for years. Were they placeholders too?

I'm getting a feeling that you guys weren't around when they announced GT6. Back then, everybody jumped on the sounds, as usual, and Kazunori said he was fully aware of this and that the sounds, by that stage, were just placeholders. He used this word - placeholders - a lot that year.

So, It's an inside joke, as the sounds by themselves, actually.

Top Bottom