• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has shipped 29m unit worldwide

Verendus

Banned
That's an incredible number. I thought it'd do 26 million or so and settle down around that mark. If it's already done 29 million...

Wow. That's incredibly impressive even if it's on two platforms. Wasn't really fond of the game but everyone else seems to be enjoying it.

Still can't believe Mario Kart sold as much as it did on one platform. Both are impressive feats.

The Housers right now:
mcducking-it.jpg

Heimbeck

Banned
I think they could easily double that number with a iOS version (expert speaking here, don't question me).

If they made it free-to-play with micro-transactions they would have 100 billion made from this game already

R* are behind the times.

At 29 million GTA V has already outsold San Andreas' LTD (27 million). It's now the best selling entry in the series in just 6 weeks. It'll probably beat out Wii's Top 3 (New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Mario Kart Wii) by the end of the year.

erawsd

Even if Wii Sports was bundled, most people bought the console for that. As evidenced by 31.89M sales of Wii Sports Resort, a while after the initial craze. Wii Sports in 2006 standalone would've sold A LOT more than Wii Sports Resort in 2009 did, and it did 31.89M.

Anyway, GTA V has overtaken Wii Play and should soon overtake New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii Sports Resort. I don't know when it'd overtake Mario Kart Wii (34.26M) and Tetris (35M). After that there's only the original Super Mario (40M) and Wii Sports (81M) to take over, and as mentioned those are bundled so there IS a portion of their sales that are only because they were bundled. But I don't think that portion is that big. Angry Birds has tons of Freemium downloads so those are not necessarily sales. Tetris mobile versions have over 100M sales since 2005 according to EA.

We can't just make that assumption, which is why its not a proper comparison.

RayMaker

Banned
The Housers right now:
mcducking-it.jpg

With the total sales making up to £1.16 billion

I will wonder if the housers cut will be? after the retailers, platform holders,publisher and the dev team, I cant imagine there pay package being much more then walter whites bed of money ($80 million).

I wonder if the housers get a salary or a percentage of the profits or both.

BigDug13

PS2 has sold as many consoles as the 360 and PS3 have sold combined, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that when GTA was THE game series of the generation, that they would have sold that many copies of SA. And that's taking into account lifetime sales and that includes PC.

GTA V is going to obliterate that total.

Muffdraul

So in a little over a month, it already surpassed GTA IV's total sales over five years, by several million. I know a lot of people would say "yeah no shit, cuz gta4 sucked ass lol". It's still literally amazing that they were able to sell this many this fast.

EDIT: D'oh, beaten:

At 29 million GTA V has already outsold San Andreas' LTD (27 million). It's now the best selling entry in the series in just 6 weeks. It'll probably beat out Wii's Top 3 (New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Mario Kart Wii) by the end of the year.

Damn, figures have changed a lot since I last looked. Coulda swore that a couple years ago, SA was at about 22 million and IV was coming up on 25 mil.

boingball

Those are some impressive numbers. Might get to 40million or even 50million. Sales on PC or PS4/xbone have not even started yet.

Into

Any Call of Duty had more than 29 million shipped?

No, i believe MW2 or Black Ops did around 25 million, those are the best selling ones. Last time i looked at sales

I doubt Ghosts will even cross 20 million, it will still do well

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
29 000 000, man

it's like the entire population of Malaysia

or more than the total number of inhabitants of Beijing and Shanghai combined

are playing the same video game

GTA V is a game that deserves obscene amounts of sales far more than any Call of Duty since the first Modern Warfare or any Fifa game. Congrats to Rockstar. As nuts as it sounds, I'd like a V-2 to happen more than the inevitable VI. Would love to spend more time with Michael, Franklin and Trevor in Los Santos.

Fjordson

Great numbers for a great game.

True Crime is now Sleeping Dogs I believe, and Square has already Greenlit a sequel...focused on always-online multiplayer.

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif
What? Why? I'm not the biggest Sleeping Dogs fan around, but I get why people loved it. This seems like a weird choice (hilarious GIF btw).

Now about that PC version... given their revenue, it better be stacked. With their legitimately crazy amount of resources, I expect something pretty reasonably close to perfect in terms of optimisation (1080p/60 should easily be possible), with full Steam integration, Workshop modding support, constant updates and little fixes, and no idiotic Rockstar Social Club or any such nonsense. Get on it, Rockstar. If anybody can do this now, you can.

Jachaos

Hmm....

/grabs calculator

29,000,000 X $59.99 = $1,739,710,000

$1.7 BILLZ?

DAAAYUM

They don't make 60$ per sale, I personally bought the game at 40$ with Tsilon pre-orders and just with shipping+manufacturing+retailer, it's a chunk of the revenues taken away.

Also, I saw a shelf full of GTA V copies yesterday. I'm sure deals will come and not all copies will be sold at 60$ as retailers will want to get people in their stores around Black Friday.

Edit : After searching a bit, it seems it's around 35$ per full-price copy. Platform manufacturers license (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) + retailers + manufacturing take about half the revenues.

Acheteedo

Rockstar already did whatever the fuck they wanted, can't wait to see what they cook up next with even fewer restrictions.

GTA isn't just an excellent game, each release is a cultural event, the series has incredible power in the industry.

Good luck chasing those records Activision.

They don't make 60$ per sale, I personally bought the game at 40$ with Tsilon pre-orders and just with shipping+manufacturing+retailer, it's a chunk of the revenues taken away.

Also, I saw a shelf full of GTA V copies yesterday. I'm sure deals will come and not all copies will be sold at 60$ as retailers will want to get people in their stores around Black Friday.

For the most part, it actually doesn't matter what you paid for it*. It matters what the retailer paid to stock it.

*Yes, I'm ignoring price protection, but that just makes it too complicated.

Cragvis

Rockstar already did whatever the fuck they wanted, can't wait to see what they cook up next with even fewer restrictions.

Red Dead Revolution

Set in the industrial revolution.

With an aging jack marstin, or his son, john marstins grandson. Learning the old ways of the west to take down industrial revolutionized bad guys.

Top Bottom