• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has shipped 29m unit worldwide

BigDug13

Besides if you want to be completely accurate the record holder is Angry Birds at... like 150 million downloads.

Oh man, what a missed opportunity! GTA V should have been released on all mobile devices for $1 each. It would have cleaned house to 150 million sales! That would have propelled them to $150,000,000 total minus app store fees...

:p

Still doesn't count IMO if the console itself included the game throughout the entire generation.

What would Wii-Sports have honestly sold if it was not included in every Wii?

I don't really have a stake in this disagreement.

I was just wanting to point out that the entire NES and SNES unit tallies are lower than Wii Sports.

sense

Heh, you don't seem familiar with how publishers think
It's not enough to make a lot of money, they have to make ALL the money

opportunity cost keeps them awake at night in their giant mansions.

Yea there is no doubt they will release a PC version to get more sales in the long run but I am just saying it was not dumb of them to not release alongside the other versions. I still think piracy is the reason they choose not to do day and date PC releases most of the time. In this case it most likely will be releasing alongside next gen version early next year

BigDug13

There's a GTAV PS3 bundle

Generating a new bundle with a new game 7-8 years into the generation when you've already sold 80 million consoles isn't going to generate very many sales like having bundles since day 1. I get what you're saying but it's not the same thing at all. There are very few people shopping for new PS3's picking up a GTAV bundle compared to the Wii Sports days or even Super Mario Bros days.

Grief.exe

Easily, even without PC i nextgen versions. PS3/X360 versions will continue to sell very well for the next 5 years.

And PC and nexgen ports will bring A LOT of sales also, but they will delay them as much as possible.

I doubt they would do another 10 million on current-gen consoles. Console sales are extremely front loaded, they will be coming in at a trickle after this point.

Oh man, what a missed opportunity! GTA V should have been released on all mobile devices for $1 each. It would have cleaned house to 150 million sales! That would have propelled them to $150,000,000 total minus app store fees...

:p
Hah!

Too true. It's actually worse than you think though. More then 80% of Angry Bird downloads were free!

This is by far the biggest money mover gaming has ever seen. Perks of having a dedicated base willing to shell out $60 a game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is more insane than Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies's 5th Case big twist.

Yeah, that insane

Into

Since it outsold every Call of Duty and might even almost double one, prepare for new iterations of following:

Getaway
True Crime
Godfather
Saints Row
Mafia
Total Overdose
Simpsons: Hit n Run (this one would be cool!)
Scarface

and a million others! Its literally the PS2 era again!

Derrick01

Banned
Whatever that comes out to seems like an illegal amount of money.

Since it outsold every Call of Duty and might even almost double one, prepare for new iterations of following:

Getaway
True Crime
Godfather
Saints Row
Mafia
Total Overdose
Scarface

Good. It was better when games were copying GTA than copying a linear brain dead shooter.

Getaway
True Crime
Godfather
Saints Row
Mafia
Total Overdose
Scarface

I actually loved most of those so I'm pumped

Bring me Scarface II: Somehow Tony's Still not dead

Grief.exe

Getaway
True Crime
Godfather
Saints Row
Mafia
Total Overdose
Scarface

True Crime is now Sleeping Dogs I believe, and Square has already Greenlit a sequel...focused on always-online multiplayer.

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

What are they gonna do with all that money?

You have to remember, this and The Old Republic were two of the most expensive games of all time.

...at least one of those were successful.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Now if only they would make online less of a grind.

Still, this has me excited for the budgets they'll be able to throw at Rockstar's other games

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Getaway
True Crime
Godfather
Saints Row
Mafia
Total Overdose
Scarface

I demand a sequel to these two. And in the case of Getaway I mean a third game. Simpsons Hit and Run was amazing. I just completely have no undertanding as to why there still hasn't been a hit and run sequel. It would print money.

Jachaos

Even if Wii Sports was bundled, most people bought the console for that. As evidenced by 31.89M sales of Wii Sports Resort, a while after the initial craze. Wii Sports in 2006 standalone would've sold A LOT more than Wii Sports Resort in 2009 did, and it did 31.89M.

Anyway, GTA V has overtaken Wii Play and should soon overtake New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii Sports Resort. I don't know when it'd overtake Mario Kart Wii (34.26M) and Tetris (35M). After that there's only the original Super Mario (40M) and Wii Sports (81M) to take over, and as mentioned those are bundled so there IS a portion of their sales that are only because they were bundled. But I don't think that portion is that big. Angry Birds has tons of Freemium downloads so those are not necessarily sales. Tetris mobile versions have over 100M sales since 2005 according to EA.

Top Bottom