• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has shipped 29m unit worldwide

Jachaos

For the most part, it actually doesn't matter what you paid for it*. It matters what the retailer paid to stock it.

*Yes, I'm ignoring price protection, but that just makes it too complicated.

I know, but what I meant is I wouldn't have been able to pre-order it for 40$ if the retailer was losing 20$ by selling it to me.

So at 35$ for Rockstar like what seems to be the split from the two sites I posted in my last post, it makes more sense.

Grief.exe

Great numbers for a great game.

What? Why? I'm not the biggest Sleeping Dogs fan around, but I get why people loved it. This seems like a weird choice (hilarious GIF btw).

Japanese publishers are literally inexplicable. Seems especially strange considering how well GTAV has done and the possibility of opening up the market to new consumers.

cdkee

Banned
100% deserved. No other studio puts this much effort and soul into their games.

I hope publishers take note. Quality > quantity

Coolwhip

Banned
100% deserved. No other studio puts this much effort and soul into their games.

I hope publishers take note. Quality > quantity

Lolwut? GTA 5 is the greatest example of quantity > quality. Not saying the quality is bad, but the main selling point of that game is the scale.

-MB-

I'm assuming sellthrough to actual consumers isn't actually near that figure yet, and they basically shipped a ton of new copies to store in preparation for the holiday onslaught.

Not as impressive as San Andreas or other single SKU smash hits, but good nonetheless for Rockstar and Take Two. They're one of the good guys.

KoopaTheCasual

Well on it's way to being one of the best selling games in history. Does Wii-Sports still count, even tho it was a pack-in?
Not as impressive as San Andreas or other single SKU smash hits, but good nonetheless for Rockstar and Take Two. They're one of the good guys.
Wut....? It's already outselling San Andreas life-time sales....

kswiston

People disqualifying Wii Sports because it was a pack-in don't get it...

Wii Sports did not come with the Wii; the Wii came with Wii Sports.

For the first year or two. Japan is a good barometer of how Wii Sports would have sold as a standalone software. It had an attach rate around 55% through the first year of the Wii's life (2.2M Wii Sports sold on 4M wii's). However by the end of the generation, that attachment rate dropped to between 25-30%. People weren't running out to buy Wiis for Wii Sports in 2011.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
29 million in a month..... Holy shit.... I imagine Rockstar HQ be something like this....

Obama-bucks-animated-money-gif.gif

At the moment.....

Well deserved though.

So here is my question. Does anyone in the industry think that sales would have increased so much from GTA4 to GTA5 had it not been for used game sales? Because it seems to me that the cycling of the far fewer copies of GTA4 in the wild have turned a lot more people on to the series. Obviously results vary for the individual game, but to me, this is how the industry should be viewing the idea of used games. As a potential market expander for any series worth coming back to.

I'm in a small minority of gamers who haven't played a single GTA game. Probably as rare as those gamers who've never played a Mario game.

lefantome

unbelievable,

is gonna be the best selling games ever very soon

no it's not wii sports, mostly of its 80 millions units haven't been sold directly.

Thats absolutely insane. No wonder the MP was broken as fuck. There were probably like 15 million people trying to get in.

Get a next gen version and the PC version and they will easily hit 40 million before next year ends. Mind boggling.

cdkee

Banned
Lolwut? GTA 5 is the greatest example of quantity > quality. Not saying the quality is bad, but the main selling point of that game is the scale.

Uhh...no. Quantity is Just Cause, which has a much larger map than GTA5. However, there is nothing to do in it.

GTA5 has quality, every nook of the world in that game has detail and you can tell it's been lovingly created.

But that's not even what I meant. I was referring to how it took them presumably 5 years to make the game, and look how much it's selling, whereas you have other studios/pubs doing the annual release thing ala CoD/AC.

Radec

goddamn.

I can still remember someone saying that Saints Row V will make more money than GTA:V because of V's budget.
KuGsj.gif

carlos

Impressive but it's just shipped, not sold.
Retailers ordering copies in excess is not a typical business practice; they have their metrics on how much to order based on how its selling.

In other words, expect a considerable amount of the 29 million to be sold to consumers already, and the whole 29 to be gone by the end of the x-mas season. (I expect the shipped number then to be around 35M; they should announce it in their next conference call in late January).

UNCMark

Banned

He meant quality releases over quantity of releases. And it doesnt hurt that GTA 5 is full of both quantity and quality like no other game.

Impressive but it's just shipped, not sold.

LOL. Like they're having a problem selling what they ship.

Top Bottom