• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV PS4/Xbox One coming November 18th, PC coming January 27th

Nzyme32

I'll be waiting for PC, it's annoying I have faith it'll be a good port.
Believe.
Resons for delaying it could include: optimisation, spreading out sales, getting people to triple dip, and reducing piracy by making people buy a console version if they're desperate.

All of these are perfectly reasonable things for a business to do, they don't just "hate pc players". It makes much more sense for them to delay PC version even if I am upset.

Well they stickied a response in the comments of the announcements claiming extra dev time for polish, but it sounds like nothing more than PR

Jtrizzy

They just want people to double and triple dip, I'm assuming. I'll rent it for PS4, play it for an hour or two, get sick of the frame rate just like on the PS3 version, and buy the PC version and play at 60 fps.

MEsoJD

Banned
People need to chill out about the PC delay.
It's only a few months

ibvESeYtH0xF5Z.gif

We've been waiting since the game came out...

fade_

I'm not happy with the PC delay but I'll still buy it, I've been adding money to my Steam wallet in anticipation.

Honestly, I'd rather they delay it then have it turn out like the abortion that was the PC version of Watch Dogs which is a choppy mess the first few months.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's more like, "Well yeah, no one likes to wait an extra two months for the game they've been anticipating." Max Payne 3 shipped day and date with the consoles, so I'm not sure why they slid again.

it didn't, though. MP3 came out around two weeks after. plus you're comparing a linear TPS to the most detailed open-world game. there's a lot more things to fix, worry about, add, etc. in one than the other.

"herp derp pirates"

The game wouldn't get less sales if it was a simultaneous release on PC nor would it be pirated less. which i guess is somehow your point because I don't see how else "take no risks" and "pirates" plays into this other than apparently ever PC gamer is a pirate that is unworthy of glorious console games.

and you know that how? I know you've seen threads where numerous people say "Oh, I'll just wait for a sale." or "Looks great, I'm low on funds, though. I'll just wait for a sale, etc." If it launches a month before the winter sale, why wouldn't a lot of people wait a month to see if it's on sale and how low they can get it. Well, my point was that with a delay, they maximize console sales and it gives them two months to get all of those sales in. It allows them to avoid the autumn/winter sales which are incentives to wait a month if you're really interested and an incentive to pirate if you're spending money on tons of cheap games, but still want to play GTA. I know a lot of PC first gamers like to downplay piracy and even I think publishers blow it out of proportion, but I can admit that it's a very rampant thing and a lot of people that pirate games have the money to buy the title, but just don't want to. It's not a hard thing to imagine. of course, that's if this is the true reason for the delay. it could be for numerous other reasons like not wanting to launch like they did with GTA IV and further harm their PC fanbase.

You have to be crazy/really impatient to triple dip.

I'm triple dipping, but I only ended up paying $20 for the PS3 version and I'm selling the PS4 version as soon as PC hits.

I double dipped on TLoU too. Buying games as good as either of these twice beats buying stuff like Destiny or Watch Dogs once.

and you know that how? I know you've seen threads where numerous people say "Oh, I'll just wait for a sale." or "Looks great, I'm low on funds, though. I'll just wait for a sale, etc." If it launches a month before the winter sale, why wouldn't a lot of people wait a month to see if it's on sale and how low they can get it. Well, my point was that with a delay, they maximize console sales and it gives them two months to get all of those sales in. It allows them to avoid the autumn/winter sales which are incentives to wait a month if you're really interested and an incentive to pirate if you're spending money on tons of cheap games, but still want to play GTA. I know a lot of PC first gamers like to downplay piracy and even I think publishers blow it out of proportion, but I can admit that it's a very rampant thing and a lot of people that pirate games have the money to buy the title, but just don't want to. It's not a hard thing to imagine. of course, that's if this is the true reason for the delay. it could be for numerous other reasons like not wanting to launch like they did with GTA IV and further harm their PC fanbase.

Adding insufferable DRM and constant delaying is just gonna increase piracy though.
Seems to me the developers who complain most about piracy are usually the ones who do just that.

"We keep delaying, adding DRM, making bad ports but the piracy just gets worse!"

I wonder if the people telling PC users to calm down would also be taking that advise if the PC had it for a year already while consoles didn't get anything . Would they be ok if on the PC they got it twice before they got it once? My guess there would be an insane thread about that one.

As for me i said i was going to wait for it when released but now i don't think i will. My excitement for the game has gone down greatly along with little amount of free time for games anymore added to it that the game will be sold at full price. Maybe a steam summer sale is when i might get it.

I wonder if the people telling PC users to calm down would also be taking that advise if the PC had it for a year already while consoles didn't get anything .
If people acted the same way that people are acting in here, then yeah I would. well I wouldn't say " hey calm down" but I would still think the people were getting unnecessarily angry.

dreamfall

Those comparison gifs are lovely!

It's nice to see it side by side, even with some of the time differences.

This is going to be such a nice visual overhaul!

rambis

Banned
I wonder if the people telling PC users to calm down would also be taking that advise if the PC had it for a year already while consoles didn't get anything . Would they be ok if on the PC they got it twice before they got it once? My guess there would be an insane thread about that one.

As for me i said i was going to wait for it when released but now i don't think i will. My excitement for the game has gone down greatly along with little amount of free time for games anymore added to it that the game will be sold at full price. Maybe a steam summer sale is when i might get it.
PC gets alot of cool games before consoles do as well though. Games like The Witcher and Metro have only recently started to make their way to consoles.

RooMHM

I agree, anyone who buys this is a CHUMP!
Who said this ?
I ll surely buy it, I love their games, still. It should already have released alongside last gen versions. Do I not have te right to say they re being worse and worse to the PC community? The delays with main games versions and DLC is ridiculous and their reasons totally dont hold up.

I remember GTA and GTA II on PC that were great btw and at that time they respected PC audience.
The work of manufacturers and editors to marginalize PC really paid off... And everyone is worse for it. Dont talk to me about piracy please, it exists on console and you will never be able to prove it harms sales. In fact studies show it could be positive for sales.

PC gets alot of cool games before consoles do as well though. Games like The Witcher and Metro have only recently started to make their way to consoles.
But nobody asks for GTA to come on PC first and the series originated on PC.

FadeX

Banned
Am I really the only one disappointed by the slight upgrade from 24 players (I think?) to 30 players in online play for next gen consoles?

I expected atleast 50+ players, should be pretty doable, no?

Am I really the only one disappointed by the slight upgrade from 24 players (I think?) to 30 players in online play for next gen consoles?

16 was the limit on last-gen consoles. And even that got really hectic when everyone was in the same area. Almost twice the mount of players is going to be more than enough, imo.

Rembrandt

Banned
Adding insufferable DRM and constant delaying is just gonna increase piracy though.
Seems to me the developers who complain most about piracy are usually the ones who do just that.

"We keep delaying, adding DRM, making bad ports but the piracy just gets worse!"

The social club is in without a doubt. I don't know what kinda DRM GTA IV had (GFWL) or Max Payne 3. I doubt it'll get delayed, though. It's just launching two weeks after and personally, i feel like rockstar really wants to make sure the PC version is up to par because I have a feeling once the current-gen/PC versions release, they're gonna push GTO hard. I mean, it seems likely the PC is getting 64 players and PC could really influence a lot of people's opinion on GTAO if they have the right tools available to them. idk, though.

Overall, pirating a game or waiting to buy it until it's $10 just because it's launching two months later is kinda childish. Especially if you feel like a developer doesn't support your platform the way they should, then that isn't really convincing them to support it more.

Dont talk to me about piracy please, it exists on console and you will never be able to prove it harms sales. In fact studies show it could be positive for sales.
/QUOTE]

I will say the supposed harm piracy does is grossly overexaggerated and not a big deal in 99% of cases, but do you really believe that there's absolutely no way piracy harms sells? You truly believe that everybody that pirates a game either: A) Buys it later or B) wouldn't have bought it at all? or are you playing devil's advocate like a lot of people when this topic comes up. Let's be real, piracy isn't going to send Take-Two or Rockstar bankrupt, but a lot of people very interested in GTA who definitely would have bought it pirated it instead and never bought a copy. Same for Call of Duty and literally every other form of entertainment out there, including music, movies, books, magazines, etc. ThePirateBay's prime users aren't window shoppers or people just "borrowing" a copy. I'm sure you have pirated a CD from an artist you really liked and never bought it later or deleted it right after listening. Same for movies.

The social club is in without a doubt. I don't know what kinda DRM GTA IV had (GFWL) or Max Payne 3. I doubt it'll get delayed, though. It's just launching two weeks after and personally, i feel like rockstar really wants to make sure the PC version is up to par because I have a feeling once the current-gen/PC versions release, they're gonna push GTO hard. I mean, it seems likely the PC is getting 64 players and PC could really influence a lot of people's opinion on GTAO if they have the right tools available to them. idk, though.

Overall, pirating a game or waiting to buy it until it's $10 just because it's launching two months later is kinda childish. Especially if you feel like a developer doesn't support your platform the way they should, then that isn't really convincing them to support it more.

I can't play Max Payne 3 anymore, which I own on Steam, just because social club wont let me sign in.
I remember GTA IV being a chore too, you had to jump through a lot of hoops just to install the game

It's up to Rockstar to make me wanna support them

Berto

That PC release date is too close to The Witcher 3. Sorry Rockstar but you've been Witchered. I'll wait till the summer I guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They almost doubled the count. It was 16 before.

Akai__

The PC version better be on Steam and not on GFWL!

Also, those comparison shots look pretty good. Nice visual upgrades, for a game that is already amazingly well done. This will probably sell an other shit ton of copies.

eso76

Going by those comparison gifs the technical improvements are obvious, but i still think last gen version's lighting looks a little more natural.
Maybe it's just the different TOD though.

The PC version better be on Steam and not on GFWL!

Also, those comparison shots look pretty good. Nice visual upgrades, for a game that is already amazingly well done. This will probably sell an other shit ton of copies.

GFWL doesn't exist anymore, so there's no fear of that. Max Payne 3 used their own system (I think) for patching/DRM, and it wasn't terribly intrusive.

RooMHM

I will say the supposed harm piracy does is grossly overexaggerated and not a big deal in 99% of cases, but do you really believe that there's absolutely no way piracy harms sells? You truly believe that everybody that pirates a game either: A) Buys it later or B) wouldn't have bought it at all? or are you playing devil's advocate like a lot of people when this topic comes up. Let's be real, piracy isn't going to send Take-Two or Rockstar bankrupt, but a lot of people very interested in GTA who definitely would have bought it pirated it instead and never bought a copy. Same for Call of Duty and literally every other form of entertainment out there, including music, movies, books, magazines, etc. ThePirateBay's prime users aren't window shoppers or people just "borrowing" a copy. I'm sure you have pirated a CD from an artist you really liked and never bought it later or deleted it right after listening. Same for movies.
I m not finding excuses for piracy but studies show people are ready to pay for media, just not as much as they are priced. I m merely stating that nobody can assess that it has a negative effect. It is also true the other way so this argument is not valid. It s not about what I believe, it s about what it real is. I believe things that are completely wrong until I am proven they are false.

Asgaro

It's not really about the length of the delay it's just the principle.

This.
Close to 95% of PS4/XBO version buyers will have already experienced GTA V on their stone-age-gen console.

Yet, the untaped market - the PC gamers - have to wait even more. All while those who already played GTA V can play it for a second time before them.

Facts:
- The reasoning that it's because of optimization, is BS. Plain BS.
The PC version has been in development since at least 2012. That's 3 years of development time. That's an awful lot.

- The trailers released by Rockstar for the stone-age-gen consoles were from the PC version. Comparisons show the graphics from the trailers come nowhere close the past-gen version's quality.

- The PS4/XBO versions are ports from the PC version.
No way they could have made an open world game remaster so extensive with the short time the dev kits have been available.

dex3108

Ok if piracy is problem then don't release it on PC it is simple. R*/T2 won't lose money, PC gamers will now that game won't come to PC from announcement and that is ok. But publishing game first on PS3/X360 without word about PC version for 8+ months, then announcing PC version to be released one year later and on top of that delaying PC release for 2 months without any explanation and apology is only showing that they don't care that much about PC version.

I as PC gamer now need to avoid spoilers again or buy console + game, watch how game that i really wanted is released on platforms with much smaller install base first and in January pay 60$ for game that is almost year and a half old. That is not nice behaviour from R*.

Tigress

Ok if piracy is problem then don't release it on PC it is simple. R*/T2 won't lose money, PC gamers will now that game won't come to PC from announcement and that is ok. But publishing game first on PS3/X360 without word about PC version for 8+ months, then announcing PC version to be released one year later and on top of that delaying PC release for 2 months without any explanation and apology is only showing that they don't care that much about PC version.

I as PC gamer now need to avoid spoilers again or buy console + game, watch how game that i really wanted is released on platforms with much smaller install base first and in January pay 60$ for game that is almost year and a half old. That is not nice behaviour from R*.

So you would rather not get the game at all rather than get it? I mean yeah, you may argue this means you get the PS4/xbox 1 version instead anyways, but at least you had a choice if you really wanted the PC version (or if PC is all you had).

Tigress

Um as some one who has a console and a Mac (and at some points in my life Mac was all I had to game on), this happens all the time to me (I only at one point had a gaming PC). I have never thrown a hissy fit about it. I'm just happy when they decide to make a game for my machine.

Hell, if my BF hadn't given me a xbox 360 for my bday, I would never have gotten to play Witcher until Witcher 3. I didn't throw some hissy fit about how dare they not make it for PS3 (I still can't play 1). I didn't get the 360 until after Skyrim's DLC came out. I didn't throw a hissy fit cause Bethesda took a frikking long time to release the DLC for Skyrim (I just figured we were lucky they didn't just write us off entirely).

So yeah, I do think PC people who are throwing fits and saying they refuse to buy and how evil Rockstar is are being babies right now. Cause a small delay is just a bit of an inconvenience. I'm just happy when my console gets the game.

Jonm1010

Banned
You have to be crazy/really impatient to triple dip.
The ps4 version will be my first trip into GTAV but I fully plan on eventually getting the PC version if it is good. Just for the mods.

Though it will likely be during a steam sale and after it drops below $15 in a year or two.

Rembrandt

Banned
I can't play Max Payne 3 anymore, which I own on Steam, just because social club wont let me sign in.
I remember GTA IV being a chore too, you had to jump through a lot of hoops just to install the game

It's up to Rockstar to make me wanna support them

Ah, that's horrible. I hope they work on that because I remember that being a problem with GTA IV, too. I can definitely understand your point.

I m not finding excuses for piracy but studies show people are ready to pay for media, just not as much as they are priced. I m merely stating that nobody can assess that it has a negative effect. It is also true the other way so this argument is not valid. It s not about what I believe, it s about what it real is. I believe things that are completely wrong until I am proven they are false.

Simple experiment, go to thepiratebay. Go to Top 100 games. Everybody that contributed to those aren't buying the game and I can say without a doubt that a lot of them were interested in the game and it wasn't a "trial run" or whatever. You don't really need statistical evidence to prove something that easily be assumed is true unless you really like playing devil's advocate. Just like I said, I'm sure you have pirated something in your life you really enjoyed and never paid for it to give money to developers. I'm not saying it has a huge or even noticeable effect on sales, but to pretend that no piracy is an actual lost sale is borderline ignorant, and I really mean no offense by that. Piracy is just way too common and way too easy to assume that everybody pirating will buy the game later or try it for a few and immediately uninstall it. But you're right, it probably doesn't have a truly negative effective but look at it like this: GTA V broke sales records while also being heavily pirated. The good completely overshadowed a very small blip of piracy.

Rockstar delays GTA all the time without explanations, they don't really owe PC gamers one, tbh. I know a lot of people were pissed they announced the next-gen version so late because everybody knew it was coming eventually, but just because they were mum on it doesn't mean people should skip it because they think Rockstar was being unfair to current-gen users. I will admit, it does suck that the PC version got delayed, but a lot of people didn't even think a PC version was coming and if the delay is actually for good reasons (bugs, mods, new features, etc) and they talk about it in the coming weeks like they said, then I don't see the problem. It's a little too early for people to say they're either gonna skip it, pirate it or wait for a huge sale. I mean, they didn't even tell how many players the PC version of GTAO would have, so they obviously have things up their sleeve for PC users specifically and I actually wouldn't even be surprised if after the current gen versions release, they talk about a whole bunch of PC exclusive features that won't make it to consoles ever. Nonetheless, I can understand the anger but I do think some of you guys are going overboard in your reactions.

dex3108

So you would rather not get the game at all rather than get it? I mean yeah, you may argue this means you get the PS4/xbox 1 version instead anyways, but at least you had a choice if you really wanted the PC version (or if PC is all you had).

Yes i would rather take respectable "No we won't make PC version" answer than be treated like second class citizen. If they had plans for PC version they should announced it at least shortly after X360/PS3 release. I don't want to avoid forum posts and not be able to talk about that game with my friends for almost year and a half. Remember GTA V is still mainly SP experience.

Rockstar delays GTA all the time without explanations, they don't really owe PC gamers one, tbh. I know a lot of people were pissed they announced the next-gen version so late because everybody knew it was coming eventually, but just because they were mum on it doesn't mean people should skip it because they think Rockstar was being unfair to current-gen users. I will admit, it does suck that the PC version got delayed, but a lot of people didn't even think a PC version was coming and if the delay is actually for good reasons (bugs, mods, new features, etc) and they talk about it in the coming weeks like they said, then I don't see the problem. It's a little too early for people to say they're either gonna skip it, pirate it or wait for a huge sale. I mean, they didn't even tell how many players the PC version of GTAO would have, so they obviously have things up their sleeve for PC users specifically and I actually wouldn't even be surprised if after the current gen versions release, they talk about a whole bunch of PC exclusive features that won't make it to consoles ever. Nonetheless, I can understand the anger but I do think some of you guys are going overboard in your reactions.

I am not angry (small things like this can't make me angry :D), i am disappointed. Developers generally don't own gamers anything but little respect for your customers is not much to ask. In their press release they didn't even wrote standard PR BS about optimisation they just wrote new date, that btw is not in Trailer. For what? More money grab of course even though they earned shitload of money in PS3/X360 release. I also understand that all their decisions are smart from business stand but it hurts it really hurts when you are treated like this. For god sake Ubisoft is most vocal developer/publisher when piracy and PC platform is in question and even they are trying to release PC version simultaneously with console version or with small delay these days.

Top Bottom