• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

It's refreshing that they're not overly beautiful or anything. Not ugly by any measure, but not supermodels. Just people. They should have followed that example for the men and made Buck less dashingly handsome

Vale reminds me of one of the actresses in Girls for some reason. But yeah, they look more like normal human soldiers (to that point though both Kelly and Fred certainly aren't supermodels, although they were definitely striking with the contacts they wore in FUD.)

xAl0Qvm.png

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

"Logical feedback"

tumblr_mdgfpehkYN1r8cvzdo1_500.gif
giphy.gif

Well I trust everyone from RUL but him. Hopefully they have something good.

How hard would it be to make a "SLURPTACULAR"? Or have you done that already?

Shouldn't be too difficult, I'll just have to make sure I have the phonemes necessary for it. SHILLING SPREE just uses the "sh" sound from "ooooovershield," for example. "Slayer," "earn [points]," "protect your flag" and the Killtacular audio should be enough to make a decent one. I'll get back to you.

Afro

Pistol fix and a couple of other things.

Just played a few matches. Damn. It was great while it lasted. Previous "broken" version had such a high skill gap. Back to aiming in the general vicinity of opponent's head for consistent 3-shot kills across map w/o zoom. Blech.

May '15 H1 will be missed.

Wat are you talking about?

Random question:

How did you guys make the aiming feel so good in the beta? I'm ignorant of these matters. It seems like there must be some deadzone tinkering and slight acceleration to make something feel that smooth on the sticks? Or is the movement a static 1:1 ratio without any acceleration akin to "raw input" for mouse on a PC? It just felt so much more crisp and consistent.

I think they are talking about your "promise" to explain the MCC's problems at a more technical level or something.

Update is for CE.

Finally...I have been missing it.

Random question:

How did you guys make the aiming feel so good in the beta? I'm ignorant of these matters. It seems like there must be some deadzone tinkering and slight acceleration to make something feel that smooth on the sticks? Or is the movement a static 1:1 ratio without any acceleration akin to "raw input" for mouse on a PC? It just felt so much more crisp and consistent.

I think they are talking about your "promise" to explain the MCC's problems at a more technical level or something.
Adding the fact that the beta had little to no aim assist yet still feels natural and accurate.

-Ryn

Banned
The main reason why I can't stand Youtubers and streamers.
What's the problem with it? I've seen some indie games that got well deserved attention because of it. Halo certainly could use some good PR. Raw gameplay is the best gameplay after all.

Or am I mix understanding the type of gameplay you're referring to?

FyreWulff

What are the chances of Halo 5 having no input lag issues for co-op? What about a co-op "matchmaking" system?

If the GI info is correct and the game has drop in co-op, lockstep is gone and online co-op sessions are Azure powered.

Which means no more button input delay.

UKUMI0

Josh Holmes said that there would be no peer to peer networking for Halo 5, whether this extends to campaign or not, is not known

He actually said:
Josh Holmes said:
We only have dedicated servers for MP in Halo 5: Guardians. That's true for matchmaking AND customs. There is no P2P.

This could be taken to mean no P2P period, but it seems he is just talking about multiplayer.

That being said, I really hope Campaign has Dedicated Servers, as on the current system I can't play with any of my international friends (I'm an Aussie).

RowdyReverb

If the GI info is correct and the game has drop in co-op, lockstep is gone and online co-op sessions are Azure powered.

That would mean that you'd have to select whether or not you want your campaign game to be joinable or not when you start for drop-in to work, right? Because the simulation would presumably run on the dedicated server instead of your console.

It'd be a fun feature to have Fireteam Avatars where if you wanted, you could create ghosts of all eight playable characters and then either use them yourself or have them used by friends in their runs.

My Kelly would quickly develop a habit of shotgunning any nearby teammate.

Kssio_Aug

Josh Holmes said that there would be no peer to peer networking for Halo 5, whether this extends to campaign or not, is not known
Hopefully it does!

That's really refreshing!!! Hopefully they will add a matchmaking system so I don't have to look for available friends to play all the time... would be amazing just select an option to play a co-op section and get inside a random player game. That's all I ask for co-op!!

HTupolev

Nah, they could always throw in a fallback that stalls the simulation while the new client receives the game state.

Obviously this would be a great approach that definitely wouldn't piss anyone off.

FyreWulff

Nah, they could always throw in a fallback that stalls the simulation while the new client receives the game state.

Obviously this would be a great approach that definitely wouldn't piss anyone off.

True, it is possible to do drop-in in lockstep.

The game state would be absolutely huge to transfer over, though, so it'd be faster and easier to just re-write your AI for async.

(easier being a relative term here)

I don't have the link but this is the reason why party film viewing was dropped from ODST and Reach. The reason it broke so much in Halo 3 is because it took too long to transfer the initial game state and would time out. It was figured to just drop the feature than keep a broken one in.

That would mean that you'd have to select whether or not you want your campaign game to be joinable or not when you start for drop-in to work, right? Because the simulation would presumably run on the dedicated server instead of your console.

I'd imagine you would have to explicitly go into a campaign matchmaking search playlist to get random people into your game, yeah. But even having it for friends only would be pretty good. Destiny has spoiled me for that.

HTupolev

I don't have the link but this is the reason why party film viewing was dropped from ODST and Reach. The reason it broke so much in Halo 3 is because it took too long to transfer the initial game state and would time out.
Wouldn't that only be an issue if you could drop into theatre? Otherwise the game state would be synchronized from the start.

Wait, DOES Halo 3 allow you to drop into networked theatre games? I've never tried...

FyreWulff

Wouldn't that only be an issue if you could drop into theatre? Otherwise the game state would be synchronized from the start.

Wait, DOES Halo 3 allow you to drop into networked theatre games? I've never tried...

No. it basically goes into lockstep for theater, even if you're watching MP games. Everyone has to be there at the start

It would work more reliably only if you had all just played that game together and it was in your recent films, and it was a full game film. Film clips were basically near impossible to watch. They mentioned the engine was aware of "initial state" of a map so I imagine there were some code cheats here and there where the game would initialize everything client-side if it knew it was a new game starting.

Also, rewinding was always dangerous in a party

Kssio_Aug

I'd imagine you would have to explicitly go into a campaign matchmaking search playlist to get random people into your game, yeah. But even having it for friends only would be pretty good. Destiny has spoiled me for that.

That would be amazing. I seriously would play the campaing so much more!

dwells

Shouldn't be too difficult, I'll just have to make sure I have the phonemes necessary for it. SHILLING SPREE just uses the "sh" sound from "ooooovershield," for example. "Slayer," "earn [points]," "protect your flag" and the Killtacular audio should be enough to make a decent one. I'll get back to you.
Damn, that was just stitched together from other clips? Sounded really smooth without any noticeable transition. Do you do any sort of blending/pitch leveling/etc. to get it like that?

Damn, that was just stitched together from other clips? Sounded really smooth without any noticeable transition. Do you do any sort of blending/pitch leveling/etc. to get it like that?

Yeah, I'll generally blend them together and pitch shift when necessary. When it comes to audio production I actually have more experience sentence mixing than anything, so it comes pretty natural to me at this point.

I would imagine Linda would also have intel recon cameras more than the "standard" Spartan versions. There could be an awesome scene throwback to the flood discovery helmet cam...

That would be great to have matchmaking for the campaign. I used to like playing that as a palette cleanser in Reach, but sometimes second-guessed myself because of the input delay.
I might actually use something other than Mark V
You and I both know this would be a mistake. We may dabble with others, but our hearts lay with one love.

EDIT: OT TOTP Shovel Knight CLIP. If you haven't played this game, what are you doing?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Where is the reclaimer hub coverage on this stuff? Buncha scrubs is what they are
Didn't you just get banned for mentioning your website for no reason all the time?

It's funny, because I was about to say the opposite, I think Tanaka's suit looks the far better of the two.
Huh, Tanaka's suit is the only one I don't like out of the eight. The big ball under her chin looks really awkward to me, and I'm not a fan of the color scheme.

Side note: it's really nice to see more gender / race diversity in Halo.

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

"Logical feedback"
Yeah... Greenskull is okay most of the time, but he has at least a few frequent rider miles wracked up on the bad opinion train.

PS: hate u odysseus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom