• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

The value of this is immense if you've never played them before. Or even if you have and want to re-visit

Too bad I'm not a FPS fan - enjoy all!

Unstable

Argh FFS.....I knew this would happen!!!

Awesome reviews causing me to buy yet another game but on the bright side I've never played a Halo game before and here I am getting 4 of them.
I envy you. To get to play one of the best gaming series ever, for the first time. You are in for one hell of a ride.

Marvel

could never
I can't afford all these awesome games, FUCK.

Getting an Xbox One again soon and this has made it so much harder bundle wise.

NBtoaster

I'm not sure where this feeling comes from. Checkpoints are very, very predictable once you know what factors affect them. e.g. enemy presence, player movement, whether or not shields are up, player position.

I played all the games and never figured out any consistency to them. Pointlessly complex compared to a normal system.

TheOddOne

"Halo is too old skool for the new skool."

80057-eddie-murphy-fuck-you-gif-Imgu-bD0x.gif

Random17

I played all the games and never figured out any consistency to them. Pointlessly complex compared to a normal system.

The checkpoints are based off of loadzones + a variety of other factors. I've never had a problem with them in Halo 2, at least. In some of the games the checkpoints are far too punishing at times, especially Halo 3 where a death to the last brute in a massive fight sends you back to the beginning of the battle, which isn't very fun.

They are definitely location based at a basic level in Halo 2 and are relatively predictable. E.g. walking up to the cover right after St Gunns dies in Cairo Station is always a checkpoint except when certain skulls are activated.

Toki767

I've actually never played any of the Halo single player so I'm excited to play the whole thing. I've only ever really played Halo 1-3 multiplayer.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I usually never moan about review scores, but any site scoring this an 8 or lower will be getting ignored forever more because they don't share my tastes.

Booshka

I love the library. Its pure run and gun bliss. Never stop moving, stay re-armed, never stop shooting.

Those are the lessons of the library.

Pistol/Shotgun and a lot of Nades. Plasma weapons when any of your primaries run out of ammo.

Library is really fun, that level and Keyes on Legendary are just absolute bedlam.

dejay

Banned

On the down side

- Slowdowns
- Not as polished as we hoped
- Gameplay may seem a bit too old school to some
- Four games most of us know by heart
- Halo 3 et 4 could have been enhanced graphically
- Checkpoint system is still frustrating (and random) as hell
- The wait for Halo 5

What?

Preload deleted and xbone destroyed.

I have a confession. I liked the library

I loved the Library level. It was a fantastic change of pace given how it changed up the battle tactics used regularly up to that point in the campaign even if the area visuals could have stood a bit of variety. Never got lost in it because of the overly similar layout and visual design, but I did find it frustrating on Legendary with the rocket launcher-toting Flood guys in places, like the Legendary super-accurate hair-trigger Jackals in Halo 2 which broke the game for me. I chalk most of the complaining up to those who love to exaggerate because a middle-of-the-road opinion isn't enough and everything has to be the worst thing or best thing ever to be a valid opinion or something.

Mix

Been pretty happy with the overall responses to the game. Kinda stinks that MP wasn't up in time but everyone who's picking this up for the MP knows what it is.

Pistol/Shotgun and a lot of Nades. Plasma weapons when any of your primaries run out of ammo.

Library is really fun, that level and Keyes on Legendary are just absolute bedlam.
Sticky grenade those carrier forms. Take the shotgunners down and scavenge their ammo. Keep an eye out for more grenades and rockets. Be ready to pick up any nearby weapons when your ammo runs dry. Yes. So much yes.

I´m sorry?... but why even read reviews then..? just to reaffirm your opinion..?
Part of reading reviews is finding which writers share your personal likes and dislikes, to weigh their score against the curve of your own tastes, just as a metacritic does.

BraXzy

This is a complete 10/10 game for me. I can't see how it could get lower than an 8 from anyone, there are four entire games along with a new remaster.

Cannot wait for Tuesday.

Gaogaogao

Discs are like a placebo for gamers, something to give them comfort that the world isn't moving too fast for them

I would rather buy a disc that has everything on it. I want to play split screen multiplayer in 60fps without needing an update.

You probably really liked Destiny too
Destiny never asked you to move from point A to point B while constantly respawning enemies. It always asked you to protect the invulnerable Dinklespark that the enemies gave not a single fuck about. That's not nearly the same thing.

You can either play the level on the move as it was designed, or hold your ground, clear out all the enemies and rinse and repeat, but its up to you.

This is a complete 10/10 game for me. I can't see how it could get lower than an 8 from anyone, there are four entire games along with a new remaster.

Cannot wait for Tuesday.

May be technical issues and some graphical improvements expected by some are not great. Its a great value but review should consider other things too like technical and graphical stuff to today standards which affects game.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Part of reading reviews is finding which writers share your personal likes and dislikes, to weigh their score against the curve of your own tastes, just as a metacritic does.

Couldn't have put it any better. I've found in the past Eurogamer closest to my tastes though they famously gave Halo an 8 years ago.

I would rather buy a disc that has everything on it. I want to play split screen multiplayer in 60fps without needing an update.
Not very many big games come without a mandatory launch patch these days and it's been standard practice in the last few years to see everyone with post-gold status optimizations included in those day-one patches. I say it's better to have than have not.

I would totally buy this if I had an X1. Too bad I don't have enough money to comfortably buy another console when I already don't have enough time to catch up on the games I've been buying.

Enjoy people! I'll be watching on Twitch. :)

I have a confession. I liked the library
You are not alone....
I love the library. Its pure run and gun bliss. Never stop moving, stay re-armed, never stop shooting.

Those are the lessons of the library.

I loved the Library level. It was a fantastic change of pace given how it changed up the battle tactics used regularly up to that point in the campaign even if the area visuals could have stood a bit of variety. Never got lost in it because of the overly similar layout and visual design, but I did find it frustrating on Legendary with the rocket launcher-toting Flood guys in places, like the Legendary super-accurate hair-trigger Jackals in Halo 2 which broke the game for me. I chalk most of the complaining up to those who love to exaggerate because a middle-of-the-road opinion isn't enough and everything has to be the worst thing or best thing ever to be a valid opinion or something.
Oh yes. There are many of us ;)
concertechno.gif

I am missing so many games this fall, and still have a ton to do/complete/multiplayer the hell out of Forza H2, Bayonettta 2 (and 1 but that can easily wait as I've played it so many times on 360 and ps3!), Sunset Overdrive, COD: AW.

Buying this game but will give to my partner to keep for my Christmas, but there are so many third party games I haven't gone time or money for!

This is an amzing package even if it is just for the SP aspect, 3 amazing games (Not played 4 so can't comment) in one package for the price of one game.

This is how you do remasters.

Ape

Banned
Destiny never asked you to move from point A to point B while constantly respawning enemies. It always asked you to protect the invulnerable Dinklespark that the enemies gave not a single fuck about. That's not nearly the same thing.

You can either play the level on the move as it was designed, or hold your ground, clear out all the enemies and rinse and repeat, but its up to you.

I absolutely see the similarities.

Now that you mention it, I totally forgot that you follow guilty spark the whole map. Dinklebot 1.0 lol!

Point defending and wave fighting, this level definitely birthed Destiny.

JonCha

I feel like this is a really difficult game to review because we know how the campaigns go, and we largely know everything about the multiplayer already. So I think if I was reviewing this it'd be more towards the technical aspects (e.g. framerate/resolution, the new cutscenes) and the new Halo 2 multiplayer.

I also guess some reviewers may be disappointed by the lack of technical improvements in Halo 3 and/or 4, but this was always billed as Halo 2: Anniversary first and foremost.

Top Bottom