• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I have fond memories of playing Halo CE online on the original Xbox via a matchmaking program on the PC.

Connecting consoles with absurdly long cables was great too. :)

oh god yes.
I had two xbox
(what is the plural for xbox on english?)

one was in the living room, the black one, the crystal one was in my room. we used a 15m long cable. Sometimes my mother said "Sesu, why do you laugh so much when chris says "not again"?"

fun times. life was easier back then.

i feel old now..

Footos22

Bit hard to score a collection of games. if your not a fan of Halo its possibly the most boring collection ever even if the value is great. if you are a fan its the GOAT.

I personally love the campaigns. the multiplayer though i cant stand.

Metacritic isnt gonna matter in the slightest. if anyone gives it below an 8 its click bait.

Good reviews as expected, I would like this collection, having played the games would be nice to have a rerun. I almost bought myself a xbox one this week, but I'm going to wait and get a Halo 5 and MCC bundle next Christmas, will likely enjoy this one more than Halo 5.

RetroStu

Banned
I don't see how you can review something like this. If you're a big Halo fan then its an automatic 10/10, if you're not a Halo fan then the score could be anything.

Guerrilla

81,5 fin hours left till this unlocks for me if I calculated correctly. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about playing through this again.

Can't believe it took a remaster collection to get me this hyped again...

300px-Library1.jpg

dem feels....

Toki767

I don't see how you can review something like this. If you're a big Halo fan then its an automatic 10/10, if you're not a Halo fan then the score could be anything.

Well most seem to review it based on the technical aspects of the latest versions, which I think is fair.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

yeah, you are probably right. This collection is huge with games that all scored high. with a multiplayer experience that just can't be compared.

how would you score that? you would have to concentrate on small flaws that usually go unpunished. just what I think about it.

81,5 fin hours left till this unlocks for me if I calculated correctly. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about playing through this again.

Can't believe it took a remaster collection to get me this hyped again...

300px-Library1.jpg

dem feels....

thanks, now I want to call my mother and tell her to send me my xbox with halo asap..the wait is painful.

MavFan619

Banned
Just got my Xbox today but won't be able to play this on release or SO yet but I'm pretty excite to finally try the Halo series soon as I've only ever played MP for little bits of time with friends.

Personally I would look for improvements and changes implemented and consider how well the older games have aged; are they still fun to play or is the gameplay dated? (Not really.)

Carbonox

Urge to buy Xbone rising. This would be the only thing I'd get on the console until at least Quantum Break but this collection has more than enough content to warrant a console purchase and keep me occupied along with the PS4.

Urge to buy Xbone rising. This would be the only thing I'd get on the console until at least Quantum Break but this collection has more than enough content to warrant a console purchase and keep me occupied along with the PS4.

Same haha, there are some mighty tempting deals around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've played all four of these - mostly single player, not a big MP gamer, and barely understood the Halo 4 story. Yet I'm still oddly compelled to buy this.

Osahi

Personally I would look for improvements and changes implemented and consider how well the older games have aged; are they still fun to play or is the gameplay dated? (Not really.)

Exactly. That's the way I went. Alltough I don't agree with the statement the games aren't dated (or does that 'not really' doesnt imply that?)

I reviewed it too (for print. Still have to finish my text because I couldn't test multiplayer yet), and I'm not the biggest Halo fan out there (until this I played all of them apart from Halo 2 en ODST though. And I liked them). From my experiences it's clear that Halo fans will love this, but the collection thrives mostly on nostalgia. The games have not aged particulary well imo. (I never played Halo 2 before, and I had times I just shut the XBox down because of being bored with some repetitive levels). There are great moments in every game, sure, but freed from nostalgia it's clear some parts aren't that good anymore. So I don't think people who are new to Halo will have the same feelings as the fans do.

There is no denying these are great games whose importance on the industry can't be understated. And I really like Halo: Combat Evolved first half (the latter is a mess of repetitive hallways), but this collection is first and foremost great fan service...

dejay

Banned
Metacritic just threw up a score. At this stage I'm confident it's going to edge out Spartan Assault.

Ignore the critics anyway. Read the user reviews - the ones that have zero as a score. They know what's up.

Hanmik

Metacritic just threw up a score. At this stage I'm confident it's going to edge out Spartan Assault.

Ignore the critics anyway. Read the user reviews - the ones that have zero as a score. They know what's up.

It would be fun if developers got payed bonuses based on USER-reviews on Metacritic.. lol

Exactly. That's the way I went. Alltough I don't agree with the statement the games aren't dated (or does that 'not really' doesnt imply that?)

Your interpretation was correct. Though when I wrote that I was thinking more in terms of how the gunplay has changed in later Halo games. I'm sure level design and progression is indeed dated.

I feel like this is a really difficult game to review because we know how the campaigns go, and we largely know everything about the multiplayer already. So I think if I was reviewing this it'd be more towards the technical aspects (e.g. framerate/resolution, the new cutscenes) and the new Halo 2 multiplayer.

I also guess some reviewers may be disappointed by the lack of technical improvements in Halo 3 and/or 4, but this was always billed as Halo 2: Anniversary first and foremost.

speaking for myself, i just viewed the review as a fun excuse to revisit the series and talk about what sets it apart. writing a conventional buyers' guide-style review would have been super boring, yeah, and i don't think the granular technical aspects are all that relevant to most of our readers.

that said, i'll definitely be happy to play some games that aren't halo from now on!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So pumped.

I wonder if I will get it launch day from Game UK living here in the US...

Doubt it.

Leyasu

Banned
I cant believe its almost here. Halo plus dedicated servers was one of the reasons that I got an xbone

Seanspeed

Banned
You can rate any issues it has, how well put together the package is, is it truly a big upgrade, etc.

I do see what you're saying, though. We basically know what this is already.

Ajacx

Banned
I'm a diehard Halo fan but I also had to put on my game reviewer's hat and play this objectively. From a critical perspective I think the 4 games are already great, and the remaster of Halo 2 - the main part of the collection - is really, really good. The other games go well with the higher resolution and higher frame rate. You also have the original multiplayer, from every game, which fans have been asking for. Halo 2 and 3 already had awesome multiplayer, and there are 6 new great-looking maps. And with all the other extras, I gave the game a score based on the same of all these parts - a very, very good package overall.

87 Metascore is odd. I was expecting 95+ for this, but it's doing worse than the God of War Collection for comparison's sake.

I suppose Halo 2 (the main attraction) does have the crappiest campaign of the series.

I just wish the damn update wasn't so large. I went from 42% to 31% after that update kicked in. All I know is that I'm happy my provider doesn't charge when I go over my datat cap. Good Lord I would owe all sorts of moneys.

Septic360

Banned
87 Metascore is odd. I was expecting 95+ for this, but it's doing worse than the God of War Collection for comparison's sake.

I suppose Halo 2 (the main attraction) does have the crappiest campaign of the series.

Yeah what is going on here? This should be a 95+ quite easily. Some of the reviews I have read are just terrible.

One of the most generous gaming packages containing the most seminal games ever that still hold their own against FPS' of today and its sitting on 87 at metacritic? Just silly really.

I really like this trend of not giving a score/finishing a review until the servers are live.

I think that the problems Battlefield/Sim City/Driveclub/NBA2K have made reviewers hesitant.

Top Bottom