• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

Sounds like they have a lot more story to tell than originally planned. Hopefully for the remaining Halo fans this will allow 343 to make games with coherent plots that won't require one to be familiar with the expanded universe. Halo 4 relied on that expanded universe way too much.

Good luck to them. Hopefully they listen to all the Halo 4 feedback and show a little humility in the future. Unlike Bungie, 343 had failed to do that this far.

I agree I hope the series and the creators every success.

They 'seem' like they're listening. I won't come back to it however.

Kydd BlaZe

Sounds great. Loved Halo 4's campaign. Probably my third favorite in the series. Definitely down for some larger scale, 60fps, 1080p Halo battles on the Xbox One.

LQX

Good, shooters like Halo shouldn't be trilogy. Just make them continuing Saga. This way they have more room to deviate rather than sticking with a shitty story.

Not surprised. 4 really didn't feel like the start of a new trilogy. Really just a stepping stone between what went before and will come next, in terms of gameplay, story, console platform. They wrapped up some of what went before, teased the direction of what come come next, but they didn't really go for it, it felt like they just wanted to leave everyone in a position they could do anything they wanted going forward. To consider the next game the second in a trilogy would have been strange.

I'm excited to see what's next though. While 4 didn't even nearly take advantage of some of the opportunities present in the narrative, I'm replaying right now on Heroic, and I do really like the game. It's very fun.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wonder how mainline will be treated here? So we will have Halo 7, 8, 9 etc or are they really going to make a focus on side stories? We have Spartan Assault and that Boot Camp game in the works and those are apparently two non-Xbox One games (or was Spartan Assault going to be an XBLA title?)

Kajiba

I knew something was up when the trailer just said Halo instead of Halo 5. Not being a trilogy seems a little weird though.

Gorillaz

Yea sounds like yearly releases....343 is going to be "Just" making halo games right? So basically they are making them....forever?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm still pretty confused by the Halo 4 hate, but maybe it's only because I play Single player. I loved the Halo 4 campaign. Probably my favorite since Halo 1.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel like a lot of games got 1 title too many this generation, Halo 4 is one of them. Anyone know what I mean? Not complaining that fans got more of what they wanted. But Halo 4, God of War: Ascension, Gears of War Judgment...they all just felt like a little too much. Franchise fatigue is a real thing.

If this means we get more side story games that tie into the main Master Chief story I'd be pretty happy. Especially if it gets us another Halo Wars sooner than later.

nbraun80

I'm still pretty confused by the Halo 4 hate, but maybe it's only because I play Single player. I loved the Halo 4 campaign. Probably my favorite since Halo 1.
I think a lot of the hate is in mp from the old school guys who want h2 style mp. I don't blame them, but I also don't blame 343, Bungie started this 'evolution' with the crap mp they gave us in Reach. The campaign in 4 was awesome and very pretty, and the mp is better than Reach, IMO of course. :)

abadguy

Banned
The epic story of a franchise run into the ground by an evil corporation.

I hear MS is actually run by Cobra Commander.

Where was it said in OP that Halo was going to yearly releases? Did i miss the sentence where that was stated or are people just making up their own narratives again?

Kuwabara

Neo Member
To me, this is like saying Mario should of ended after the 29th related title.

I love the universe and multiplayer/co-op. And halp games are great, so milk or not, its not as negative as other people here make it seem.

Do you really think that it's a good idea for Nintendo to reuse the same franchises over and over, decade after decade though? Sure, I'm not saying that Nintendo should just stop making Mario games, bur perhaps every once in a while, instead of making that year's 'Super Mario 3DS U Sunshine Funhappy Extravaganza', they could put some money into budgets for new IPs and bring in more fans.

What happens to Nintendo once everyone forgets who Mario is?

Kuwabara

Neo Member
I hear MS is actually run by Cobra Commander.

Where was it said in OP that Halo was going to yearly releases? Did i miss the sentence where that was stated or are people just making up their own narratives again?

It wasn't directly said, but it's the same direction that Assassin's Creed and CoD took, and just look where that ended up.

Xenon

I really enjoyed the SP in Halo 4. I'm looking forward to whatever 343 comes up with next.

Edit: On a side note I just opened my copy of ODST, bought at release. Holy crap Halo 4 is like a generational leap in graphics.

abadguy

Banned

Yeah Halo 4 had a pretty solid campaign for 343's first try. I still like the Reach campaign better but 4's was pretty good.

It wasn't directly said, but it's the same direction that Assassin's Creed and CoD took, and just look where that ended up.

So it's just an assumption then, based on what other studios that have nothing to do with Halo or 343I are doing. Gotcha.

Orayn

I just hope they include a competitive multiplayer mode from day one this time, i.e. no unlocks, abilities, or randomized elements.

Reversing some of the changes that made it more CoD-like would also be nice.

Top Bottom