• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

So you plowed through it to the end? Which mission did you like?

I enjoyed only the one mission in the latter part of the game on the asteroid (or whatever it was) and only because it reminded me of sort of a cross between the Pillar of Autumn and Cairo levels from Halo 1 and 2. I enjoyed that one right up until it made me get in that stupid mech. Thankfully, that was towards the end.

The rest of the game: junk. Total complete junk.

Fastest selling Halo game of all time. Millions of copies sold.

"Dead franchise."

Yup. *Eyeroll*

Microsoft is deluding themselves in thinking that people still give a shit about Halo coming into next-gen. Bungie knows Halo is finished and the quickly diminishing popularity of Halo 4 just points to that. They are milking a franchise started by a more talented studio and they will never be able to make a game as good as the one Bungie is making.

kmax

Microsoft has been playing the same tune for a long time, and most people are sick of it.

Soon, they'll be the only ones left in the room.

Reach was Bungie.

Halo 4 wasn't amazing or anything, better than Reach in SP and MP, but not great. Still I think they've learned their lessons from it.

situation-derp.gif

You couldn't be more wrong

Orayn

You know, it'd be cool if they did the rest of the "saga" like Guild Wars 1 in that they'd all share a single multiplayer system that could be accessed by everyone, purchased separately, and continuously expanded, improved, and tweaked. Unlikely, I know, but it would be one way of keeping the population up. Better still if they made the map packs free and monetized cosmetic stuff.

Most of what you mentioned have been part of Halo for years except "cover" systems.

I should've stated 'air to ground' as a jump from ground to 'space' instead. Given all of the space related set pieces. If they could create a space to ground transition seamlessly, that'd be something.

Marleyman

Banned
I enjoyed only the one mission in the latter part of the game on the asteroid (or whatever it was) and only because it reminded me of sort of a cross between the Pillar of Autumn and Cairo levels from Halo 1 and 2. I enjoyed that one right up until it made me get in that stupid mech. Thankfully, that was towards the end.

The rest of the game: junk. Total complete junk.

Stupid mech? I had a blast on that part with my co-op buddy. To each his own.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Microsoft is deluding themselves in thinking that people still give a shit about Halo coming into next-gen. Bungie knows Halo is finished and the quickly diminishing popularity of Halo 4 just points to that. They are milking a franchise started by a more talented studio and they will never be able to make a game as good as the one Bungie is making.

That's quite the deduction Dr. Watson.

You're the delusional one if you think people don't give a shit about Halo and that it won't continue to sell very well. Just because GAF dislikes it doesn't mean that your average Joe that buys 2 games a year isn't going to continue buying games in the franchise. Look at Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. GAF shits all over those as "bad" games but they consistently sell well because most people don't share the same opinion as people on this forum.

Marleyman

Banned

They already did w/ Halo 4's SP. As for the rest of your post, well..it is horrible.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still love the "milking" comments. If the games are good and people buy them who gives a shit?

We're on the 500th game featuring Mario and the like 19th Final Fantasy. Heck, Call of Duty is on number 10+.

Hindle

Banned
Halo will always sell millions. The core mechanics are incredibly addictive, and all they need to do is make more open levels for the next game.

Monocle

Wait, this is true? I can't get the whole game story by just playing the game?
Yeah, Halo 4 has Anniversary-style terminal videos that expand the story, but even though they have to be unlocked in the campaign, they're not actually viewable anywhere in the game. This was a terrible decision because the plot is thin and sometimes incomprehensible without them.

Great since the story in Halo 4 was bullshit...now we get even more of it.
Nah, Halo's lore is great sci-fi. Unfortunately, most of the good stuff that didn't directly concern Master Chief and Cortana was stuck in the terminals. Important info about the main villain, for instance.

Walshicus

Well this series will never die now.
Good. I'm still enjoying it as much as back in '02.

Does this mean Halo will finally be interesting, or the same derivative, monotonous story line, just more of it?
Using 'derivative' is pretty much my 'ignore this opinion' flag. It's like you're too lazy to actually come up with an actual criticism but you're still happy to squirt out a lazy, amorphous slight against it.

Kuwabara

Neo Member
You're the delusional one if you think people don't give a shit about Halo and that it won't continue to sell very well. Just because GAF dislikes it doesn't mean that your average Joe that buys 2 games a year isn't going to continue buying games in the franchise. Look at Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. GAF shits all over those as "bad" games but they consistently sell well because most people don't share the same opinion as people on this forum.

I so desperately wish that wasn't true, but the casual market is just too much bigger than the market of actual 'gamers'. Unfortunately, that will always be the case, and we'll always be stuck here on GAF complaining that X company put more budget into 'Well-Selling Game 46: Hyper Turbo Super' instead of reviving 'Obscure IP Tha'ts Been Dead for 10 Years'.

Lmao, we'll see about that.

So no more 360 Halo?
Legitimate Halo? So using the entire capability of next-gen and not an upres'd 360 Halo 5? Or are we getting two studios pumping out Halo games?
This answers nothing.

Well, I already thought a new trilogy might be milking it unless they came up with a really great hook in Halo 4 that's worthy of a longer story. After playing it, I thought they were too light on some of the story, but that it was interesting enough to maybe squeeze another two games out of it. A good jumping off point, lots of new possibilities. I was excited for a new trilogy.

However, now it's obvious that the story will have no end in sight. If they really wanted to milk it, they should have kept the Forerunner trilogy intact and come up with a new trilogy idea for Halo 7.

Now all this means is that the series will probably die before they actually get to bring the current story to a satisfying conclusion.

Sad trombone.

Unlike many others, I actually liked Reach. And I like Halo 4 even more. Also contrary to most, while most of you think back to the "glory days" of Halo 2, that's my least favorite of the main series games. I felt like they had really messed up multiplayer. I played Halo 1 on PC, so I already had a year of Halo online multiplayer under my belt before 2 even came out. While the gameplay is vastly different, Halo 4 multiplayer has come closest to giving me that same feeling Halo 1 did. Get off my lawn.

We definitely did, several months before the game came out (and there's still a three story arc which has a beginning, a middle and an end) but the actual "saga" was also in Spartan Ops and Terminals too (Terminal story being off-disc is a legitimate complaint we won't have to worry about next-gen) , so the numbering was misleading and we changed the phrasing a long time before the game launched. Phil is simply rephrasing that, not announcing something.

Nevermind. Frank to the rescue.

It's one of the best IP's in gaming, and has huge potential to grow its lore and mythology. Hopefully, 343i can rise to the challenge of making this saga feel something epic and compelling on all fronts.

Marleyman

Banned
I still love the "milking" comments. If the games are good and people buy them who gives a shit?

We're on the 500th game featuring Mario and the like 19th Final Fantasy. Heck, Call of Duty is on number 10+.

Only COD and Halo are milked..ya know, Dudebro something or another.

ciridesu

I just can't get myself excited about Halo anymore; loved 1,2,3, but Reach and 4 were boring as fuck. In my opinion it's a shame and 343's talents would be better utilized elsewhere. Oh well.

What's wrong with Halo 4?

- On the SP side, there were plenty of issues that the hardcore fans had, but casuals seemed to like it fairly well.

- On the MP side, the game has been an unmitigated disaster from a population standpoint. They're barely keeping 30,000 players on globally during peak hours daily. The bottom line is, out of those millions and millions of sales, people just didn't like the MP at all.

iMax

kool_aid_man_glass.jpg

dalVlatko

I'm going to pretend the series ended at Halo 3.

ODST was bad and was saved by the atmosphere and firefight. Still can't believe they charged $60 for it

Halo Reach introducing armor abilities and loadouts was probably the worst thing to happen to the series. Armor lock, never forget.

Halo 4 doubled down on all the things Reach introduced and 343 tried to emulate COD mechanics at every corner

I don't see any light at the end of this tunnel
unless they remake Halo 2 with multiplayer in tact

Hell we had 3 Uncharted games in 4 years. Milking is such a stupid complaint. Nothing i forcing people to play every game in a series. If you think franchise X has to many releases then skip some of them.

I welcome more Halo if some of them don't feature the Chief. I love the Chief but he needs to take a rest.

I would love to see some ODST like games that were designed primarily for co-op featuring Spartan IVs between games featuring Master Chief. 343 proved that they can make a good Halo game so I would trust that they can do this right.

Whatever they do, please finish the story. I don't want anymore Shenmues in my life.

Monocle

I just can't get myself excited about Halo anymore; loved 1,2,3, but Reach and 4 were boring as fuck. In my opinion it's a shame and 343's talents would be better utilized elsewhere. Oh well.
Their talents would have been utilized just fine if Halo 4 had been more like the classic Halo-style prototype they a supposedly create and then scrapped. It also might have helped if development hadn't been spread across hundreds of people who weren't coordinated as well as a smaller group might have been.

Top Bottom