• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

Korosenai

They're going to run Halo into the ground.

4 already has damaged the series rep.

Halo is my favorite game series and the only reason i've kept my xbox live for so long.

After Reach and 4 though, i'm out. 343 is going in a direction that I don't like, and I doubt they're going to change it anytime soon.

Hopefully this gives them more room to go in a different direction with the Gameplay.

I'm going it becomes a direct competitor with the BF series in terms of vision. Large scaled combat sandbox both sp and mp.

I just think it's clear that they can't revive the arena shooter genre or make a better mp game than CE or H2 so why even try?

Monocle

OK, as long as it's good. A radical change of direction from Halo 4 will have to occur, but if 343 can pull it off, cool.

Sounds to me like they are going to scrap everything from Halo 4. I wouldn't be surprised if the new halo game doesn't really tie into 4. It's like they want to go in a different direction.

I hope that by saga they mean Halo Universe saga and not Master Chief saga.

Orayn

Halo 4 is the best selling Halo of all time. Your point?

Fastest selling, and using a rather weird definition of "fastest" at that.

Also, the multiplayer population sank like a stone, which is an indication that something is very wrong.

LDAF

Eugh...I'm afraid the series will seem a bit less focused this way. The Trilogy just seemed like a much better idea, in my opinion.

Just try going in a different direction. Mix up the gameplay. What about adding elements alien to the Halo franchise? Cover, maybe even a bit of third person play, some air to ground real time traversal?

Open world beyond what they've done to this point in time; let you tackle objectives on your own pace. There's a mountain of possibilities to refreshen the game itself.

iMax

Fastest selling, and using a rather weird definition of "fastest" at that.

Also, the multiplayer population sank like a stone, which is an indication that something is very wrong.

Damn, I thought it was. Apologies. Even so, it's still a damn fine game. I enjoy it a lot, especially the multiplayer. Halo 3's multiplayer did not work for me.

Mindwipe

That's a lot of words for "it's Halo 5 but I don't want to say so yet."

Meh.

We already knew there were going to be more non-core Halo titles in future. Spartan Assault seems to be this year, Halo 5 will be next year and I imagine Halo 2 HD will be the year after.

I imagine we'll see a Halo Wars 2 eventually too.

And I'm really fine with that, as long as they're good. Heck, I wouldn't mind them changing up the model more - lets have more episodic single player campaigns and a seperate multiplayer experience that's iterated outside of the campaign releases.

Defect

Best selling Halo game of all time.

"Dead franchise."

Yup. *Eyeroll*

Fastest population drop of all time for a Halo game. You always seem to forget about that.

Reach and 4 were terrible so unless they do a complete Xbox 180 with Halo 5, it will be just as bad as 4.

abadguy

Banned
Just try going in a different direction. Mix up the gameplay. What about adding elements alien to the Halo franchise? Cover, maybe even a bit of third person play, some air to ground real time traversal?

Open world beyond what they've done to this point in time; let you tackle objectives on your own pace. There's a mountain of possibilities to refreshen the game itself.

Most of what you mentioned have been part of Halo for years except "cover" systems.

FrankT

I really enjoyed the SP in Halo 4. I'm looking forward to whatever 343 comes up with next.

Edit: On a side note I just opened my copy of ODST, bought at release. Holy crap Halo 4 is like a generational leap in graphics.

Best thing I have played graphically this gen.

Looking forward to how incredible this next game will look on X1 and I have feeling X1s fall 2014 will be amazing.

Alebrije

MS Saga = instead of giving you a great story on a single game , we will release it in various games, mostly every year.

Halo the new FIFA...

Halo is my favorite game series and the only reason i've kept my xbox live for so long.

After Reach and 4 though, i'm out. 343 is going in a direction that I don't like, and I doubt they're going to change it anytime soon.

Reach was Bungie.

Halo 4 wasn't amazing or anything, better than Reach in SP and MP, but not great. Still I think they've learned their lessons from it.

Fans hated the CODified multiplayer.

Multiplayer was perfectly fine for me. I didn't want just another rehash of Halos of old. At least do something new. Putting in a sprint was a great addition to me, and I enjoyed mixing it up with getting weapons out of the sky.

(Yes I've played Halo since the original)

Good on Bungie jumping ship before they were forced to work in this coal mining operation.

Multiplayer was perfectly fine for me. I didn't want just another rehash of Halos of old. At least do something new. Putting in a sprint was a great addition to me, and I enjoyed mixing it up with getting weapons out of the sky.

Map control, ammo consumption, and basic player movement were all changed for the worse.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fastest population drop of all time for a Halo game. You always seem to forget about that.

Reach and 4 were terrible so unless they do a complete Xbox 180 with Halo 5, it will be just as bad as 4.

Opinion, sure.

Yeah, the population is worrisome but that could be partially due to the other juggernauts now competing in the same space. When Halo was in it's prime it really had no one else to compete against. Also 343 has done a lot to bring Halo 4 around to what fans want it to be, I think they learned a LOT of lessons from 4 (their first game ever...) and we'll see 5 be more of what the core players want.

Marleyman

Banned

I am in the same boat as you.

Don't forget the Spielberg TV show guys. No doubt we'll be getting games relating to that as well. Which I assume will be covering different ground to the reclaimer arc? But who knows.

Good thing?

They wanted to do something else other than Halo.

Fastest selling Halo game of all time. Millions of copies sold.

"Dead franchise."

Yup. *Eyeroll*

Fastest but not best so there could still be a decline in LTD sales.

Untitled-63_zps26e8951a.png

This doesn't seem like all is well.

nbraun80

Opinion, sure.

Yeah, the population is worrisome but that could be partially due to the other juggernauts now competing in the same space. When Halo was in it's prime it really had no one else to compete against. Also 343 has done a lot to bring Halo 4 around to what fans want it to be, I think they learned a LOT of lessons from 4 (their first game ever...) and we'll see 5 be more of what the core players want.

yeah I really think they should take a page from Titanfall and release the next halo in the spring. Instead of going head on with COD just give people something to go to after they're burnt out on cod after a couple months.

J10

Banned
Don't forget the Spielberg TV show guys. No doubt we'll be getting games relating to that as well. Which I assume will be covering different ground to the reclaimer arc? But who knows.

Games related to a TV show related to games would be redundant, wouldn't it?

Halo The TV Show The Game

Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo ODST
Halo Wars
Halo Reach
Halo Anniversary
Halo

Too much Halo? I say yes give the series a rest for a while. This is coming from a Halo fan.

Monocle

What's wrong with Halo 4?
Single player:

- New enemy designs borked (extremely annoying to fight, uniform color scheme makes it hard to tell apart classes and identify which weapon is about to kill you)

- Small linear environments

- Essential story info shoveled into short videos that are only available on Xbox Live's Halo media hub, Waypoint (maybe also through the site, but I haven't checked)

- Weapons on the ground despawn as soon as you leave the area (sometimes before)

- No more theater for single player modes

Multiplayer:

- Comprehensively COD-ified. Reach ruined the defining characteristic of Halo's multiplayer: everyone starts out on a level playing field with the same weapons and abilities. Halo 4 takes everything Reach did wrong even further, and adds perks and weapon drops on top of it

- Weapons spawn in random locations

- New weapons too samey—everything's just a variation of existing types

There's more but I think this is a decent summary. Note that a big patch came out for matchmaking that I haven't played yet. It might have solved some of the game's original issues.

Halo 4 was great. Give me more!

Me to. I absolutely love the mp. I think it is great how they made it so that a group cant just control the power weapon spawns any more. Now you have to be mobile since you dont know where the power weapons are going to spawn. I really hope they dont bactktrack on all the new stuff they added since some people didnt like them. I think the player count is down more to do with how slow matchmaking is and how laggy it can be. If they fixed that stuff way more people would play online.

Top Bottom