• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Most people don't read everything in a product page or EULAs. As if gamers now have to read through all this crap, just not to get scammed by companies.
Sony did what is essentially a bait and switch. They knew most people would not read the fine print, so they released the game without that requirement enabled, so they would not upset gamers.
Now that some time has passed, and people can't refund their purchase, they switched on the requirement for another account.

As a PC gamer it has become a major problem, that every publisher now requires people to use their launcher, with another account, another service booting up with windows, and a helper service. Frequently, gathering telemetry data to send back.
And them there are the problems with security, because most of these companies do not care about privacy and the security of their costumers data. And Sony has the worst track record in this regard.
Yeah but

Stupid-dumb-drooling-puzzle-meme-6.png

I swear some people can't see beyond the end of their nose.

Z O N E

Yeah but

Stupid-dumb-drooling-puzzle-meme-6.png

I swear some people can't see beyond the end of their nose.

It's funny because even if people saw it was written in the store, Sony sold the game in Regions on Steam where PSN is not even supported.

So, those players will now have to make a false PSN account and risk their entire account potentially being banned or get locked out of the game they've been playing for months.

They shouldn't have released the game in those regions if PSN was going to be mandatory.

fybyfyby

PSN on you ALL. LOL :)
But seriously, I dont know, why is Sony doing this. I thought new CEO is more PC friendly. This is not the right way. But its some way of course.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's funny because even if people saw it was written in the store, Sony sold the game in Regions on Steam where PSN is not even supported.

So, those players will now have to make a false PSN account and risk their entire account potentially being banned or get locked out of the game they've been playing for months.

They shouldn't have released the game in those regions if PSN was going to be mandatory.
I didn't even knew that. This is bullshit.

People are perfectly fine playing with the anti-cheat rootkits but account linking is where they draw the line?
I 100% agree but I will say people don't forget and don't like it either. The dev said we could discuss the anti cheat after the release if proven ineffective and yet here we are. Adding stupid stuff and ignoring the BIG problem with that Kernel-level AC.

Mr Moose

Most people don't read everything in a product page or EULAs. As if gamers now have to read through all this crap, just not to get scammed by companies.
Sony did what is essentially a bait and switch. They knew most people would not read the fine print, so they released the game without that requirement enabled, so they would not upset gamers.
Now that some time has passed, and people can't refund their purchase, they switched on the requirement for another account.

As a PC gamer it has become a major problem, that every publisher now requires people to use their launcher, with another account, another service booting up with windows, and a helper service. Frequently, gathering telemetry data to send back.
And them there are the problems with security, because most of these companies do not care about privacy and the security of their costumers data. And Sony has the worst track record in this regard.
The requirement was present when the game originally launched, but after its unexpected early success led to severe technical issues, it was temporarily removed.
It was there at launch.
You always have to check on the right side of the Steam page, it happened to me with Halo and it was annoying as fuck because I couldn't give a shit about the MP part, still needed an account because it installs the MP part when you download it and you can't access the game without the account :messenger_weary:
Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live

Sure, still a dick move. Don't force it, let people make the choice and don't ruin the good will in an instant. Don't you think it would have been smarter? Also this being for "security purpose" is pure bullshit.

I knew it, and I already have my account linked with Helldivers but I can understand why people are upset? It's that simple.
Yeah, they are full of shit about security purposes. Easier to ban someone maybe? And the MAU data.

winjer

Gold Member
It was there at launch.
You always have to check on the right side of the Steam page, it happened to me with Halo and it was annoying as fuck because I couldn't give a shit about the MP part, still needed an account because it installs the MP part when you download it and you can't access the game without the account :messenger_weary:

As if getting screwed by all companies, would make this situation any better.
It just means we, the gamers, are constantly getting screwed over.
There is no reason for you to defend any of the corporations. They don't care about you, and never did.
And if gamers don't push back, they will continue to make things worse for us.

And in this case with Helldivers, it was worse, because it was a bait and switch.
For more than a month this requirement did not exist. They only implemented it now.

Mr Moose

As if getting screwed by all companies, would make this situation any better.
It just means we, the gamers, are constantly getting screwed over.
There is no reason for you to defend any of the corporations. They don't care about you, and never did.
And if gamers don't push back, they will continue to make things worse for us.

And in this case with Helldivers, it was worse, because it was a bait and switch.
For more than a month this requirement did not exist. They only implemented it now.
The ideal way to do it would be how Ghost of Tsushima will do it, not required but you can get trophies if you do decide to use it.

Account linking plays a critical role in protecting our players and upholding the values of safety and security provided on PlayStation and PlayStation Studios games
Do they mean security breaches, password and personal information leaks from PSN?

Zathalus

I wonder how changing regions would impact your linked PSN account. Changing your Steam region is easy, changing PSN is impossible.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh shit. Was considering getting the game once I'm done with DQ8, but now I'm not so sure, between this and EDF6 being right around the corner.

Takes some balls from Sony to ask for a PSN account for "security reasons". Doesn't the game already force a kernel-level anti-cheat?

BlackTron

It would have been a fantastic move by Sony had there been no technical issues that made them drop it for months. If they wanted this to work, they needed to take advantage of timing. After everyone is acclimated to using the game without an additional account, they're better off taking the L and making it optional.

Holammer

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

All of Africa apart from South Africa.

I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head.
Afaik, Baltic users had to register the account as a Russian Federation account, same with a few Asian countries where they had to registered a Hong Kong PSN account.
My info is super old, so I dunno how it works now.

Bond007

Man, people complain about anything.
These companies are in the business of making money. What do you expect?
Microsoft just did it with Sea of Thieves. Who cares?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Afaik, Baltic users had to register the account as a Russian Federation account, same with a few Asian countries where they had to registered a Hong Kong PSN account.
My info is super old, so I dunno how it works now.

Considering that you can't use your PSN in Russia since 2022 that's not an ideal workaround...

Chukhopops

It’s quite amazing seeing the exact same people who were shitting on MS doing account sign-up on SoT now defend it when Sony does it.

Do you at least get a dual license where you can play HD2 on both platforms ?

Three

There's people who will be unable to play because of this

i-guess-this-is-goodbye-level-90-helldiver-v0-ipy8wdi6n6yc1.png
Just create a HK account to play. console manufacturers don't officially support the Philippines but most people are smart enough to create a forgien account to get access to their services. It has to do with the securities exchange being a bit shit there with regard to forgien businesses.

Killjoy-NL

It was there at launch.

Yeah, they are full of shit about security purposes. Easier to ban someone maybe? And the MAU data.
Later they'll add cross-progression and thus lower the threshold for people to buy a PS5 alongside their PC.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, but that's just normal every day stuff for these type of games. What you should have done is make it out to be some briliant act of subterfuge where Sony has infiltrated PC gaming and forced them on to the PlayStation "platform".

Use your imagination man.

Shit! you're right! FFS!

*Signs into my PSN account and have no issues with it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The annoying thing is just having accounts all over the place and having to remember logins for tons of companies (and get endless spam if you don’t use a secondary email.). You login once after creating an account then install another game a year later and scratch your head and have to reset password.

It’s a minor annoyance but also just sucks to put your “data” all over the place with companies that aren’t experts at web security.

Needing so many logins often encourages using the same password all over the place and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Sony has probably invested heavily in that area though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom