• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And we know Steam reviews are the most accurate and unbiased in the entire industry.

Hopefully we get a new thread for each 5% it drops.
Exactly. This is like some kindergarten "someone took my cookie" drama.

What will the masses think of this extraordinary and unconstitutional move?!?!?!? SEE THE DRAMA FOLKS PLEASE THIS MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME!!!!!!!!!111

winjer

Gold Member
If you have Steam, etc booting with Windows, their helpers will boot too. If you don't have Steam, etc booting with Windows, they should not launch by themselves, unless they are a service set to automatic, but then you can set them to manual on task manager. That way they will only launch if the launcher runs too.

And then they will complain that it needs to start with Windows.
I have already tried disabling the Helper services with a couple of launchers and they usually do this.
Now, I only have Steam. And I avoid installing other launchers.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And then they will complain that it needs to start with Windows.
I have already tried disabling the Helper services with a couple of launchers and they usually do this.
Now, I only have Steam. And I avoid installing other launchers.
Some you can disable if I remember correctly, like EA and Ubisoft ones. For Steam you just set to manual.

I don’t see any issue with this, expected for cross system progression tracking. Some Steam users are just cry babies, is not like you need to make the whole process every time you start the game…

Danknugz

i haven't played hellsivers 2 but i can imagine this would probably stop me from playing it. one of the main reasons people use steam is to avoid this kind of console nonsense

Danknugz

Most people don't read everything in a product page or EULAs. As if gamers now have to read through all this crap, just not to get scammed by companies.
Sony did what is essentially a bait and switch. They knew most people would not read the fine print, so they released the game without that requirement enabled, so they would not upset gamers.
Now that some time has passed, and people can't refund their purchase, they switched on the requirement for another account.

As a PC gamer it has become a major problem, that every publisher now requires people to use their launcher, with another account, another service booting up with windows, and a helper service. Frequently, gathering telemetry data to send back.
And them there are the problems with security, because most of these companies do not care about privacy and the security of their costumers data. And Sony has the worst track record in this regard.
i get he feeling most of the apologists in this thread don't have much experience when it comes to running their own pc and maintaining their own operating system

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PSN on you ALL. LOL :)
But seriously, I dont know, why is Sony doing this. I thought new CEO is more PC friendly. This is not the right way. But its some way of course.

Why would PC gamers think Sony wouldn't want the PC crowd that plays their games to NOT be tied back to Playstation in some way? Did you really think they don't want to expand the Playstation ecosystem using PC players?

What did you think the point was?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The annoying thing is just having accounts all over the place and having to remember logins for tons of companies (and get endless spam if you don’t use a secondary email.). You login once after creating an account then install another game a year later and scratch your head and have to reset password.

It’s a minor annoyance but also just sucks to put your “data” all over the place with companies that aren’t experts at web security.

Needing so many logins often encourages using the same password all over the place and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Sony has probably invested heavily in that area though.

This is the upside to playing on consoles. Not needing to have 40 different accounts to play games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On a side note I dont know anything about Estonia, but they gave the world this beauty during Winter Olympics.... Saskia Alusalu.

Better than any online service!

rt7j2srvk5w91.jpg

IAmRei

I still don't get what's so good about Helldivers. This just looks like your typical live-service game to me.

But I wish everyone fun with it, I guess.
Pretty much the same, i was attracted with design, but, i dont want to play mp :/

Whether this is a big deal or not is one discussion but the bootlickers in every thread like this is crazy.

Why do so many bootlickers come out of the woodwork to defend multi billion dollar companies and their anti consumer practices?

xrnzaaas

They shouldn't make a change like that a few months after release, especially with no good reason. Either enforce it from day one or leave it alone.

Yoda

I'd be pissed if I played this and didn't have a PSN account. Neither apply to me so not pissed, but would review bomb if so.

lifa-cobex

I don’t see any issue with this, expected for cross system progression tracking. Some Steam users are just cry babies, is not like you need to make the whole process every time you start the game…
The issue is that Sony is collecting data to sell it on.
The pc users get no befits out of this. Only the hassle to now create a PSN account for a game they have owned for months with no mention of this ever happening in the past.
If the game released with this or mentioned it from the start that it would happen down the line. Their would have been 0 issues.

PC players tended to get fucked over a great deal of things. Bad ports, delayed releases, Games toned down for console release, etc, etc.
They are defensive about shit.

I feel bad for Arrowhead.
Their game was doing unbelievably well and Sony has come along and clipped it's wings.
I will bet that Sony won't budge on this either.

Last edited:

Danknugz

This is becoming quite common on consoles as well.
every time i try to play nba 2k24 it tells me my ea account has expired and i have to enter my birthdate / info and email address every time i start the game. basically made me stop playing it but the game also just kinda sucks

Whether this is a big deal or not is one discussion but the bootlickers in every thread like this is crazy.

Why do so many bootlickers come out of the woodwork to defend multi billion dollar companies and their anti consumer practices?
A company wants you to create an account to play one of their games. "anti consumer" lmao

Mr Moose

Their game was doing unbelievably well and Sony has come along and clipped it's wings.
Did you read anything other than the title?
THE REQUIREMENT WAS REMOVED AT LAUNCH FOLLOWING TECHNICAL ISSUES, BUT IS COMING BACK

The requirement was present when the game originally launched, but after its unexpected early success led to severe technical issues, it was temporarily removed.

Last edited:

Danknugz

The issue is that Sony is collecting data to sell it on.
The pc users get no befits out of this. Only the hassle to now create a PSN account for a game they have owned for months with no mention of this ever happening in the past.
If the game released with this or mentioned it from the start that it would happen down the line. Their would have been 0 issues.

PC players tended to get fucked over a great deal of things. Bad ports, delayed releases, Games toned down for console release, etc, etc.
They are defensive about shit.

it's really concerning seeing how quickly the brainwashed console users are to jump and defend this horse shit, really puts things in perspective

Cyberpunkd

A company wants you to create an account to play one of their games. "anti consumer" lmao
Yes? Because you have already created a Steam account to play a game on Steam.

Let’s not single out Sony either. UPlay, EAPlay, Battle.net, it’s the same BS justification each time. You can recognise the benefits for business while opposing the notion as a consumer.

What’s up with corporate loving here?

Danknugz

Yes? Because you have already created a Steam account to play a game on Steam.

Let’s not single out Sony either. UPlay, EAPlay, Battle.net, it’s the same BS justification each time. You can recognise the benefits for business while opposing the notion as a consumer.

What’s up with corporate loving here?
because they're brainwashed

Mr Moose

Yes.
I bought the game a week after release.
Their was no mention of a PSN account or any future announcements about it on the Steam page,
You're blind or lying. It was there on the right side since before launch.

Hudo

because they're brainwashed
To be fair, I also haven't bought Ubisoft games when they started to frontload their own account bullshit.

It's already bothersome to have your games account-gated by Steam. So unless the game is the equivalent of a blowjob in terms of quality, I don't see myself going out of my way to make another account that I also have to go through.
If that's me being a "whiny bitch", then I guess I am one. In turn, I can call you guys corporate dick suckers.

Facism

I'm not following.
So it's OK to have multiple accounts when you want to "share" games, or get them for a lower price, but suddenly it's an issue to have to create one to play this game?
How many here have accounts for other regions? I have US and BR ones because PSN was not available in BR for some time. Used to have a JPN one as well, to get access to demos.
What am I missing?
All I can really think off are the 100+ countries the game is sold in that don't have an official psn service available to sign up to

Cyberpunkd

Did you forget Sony is a platform holder?
Are we talking about playing the game on Sony’s platform or a PC? One of the reasons people are happy to play on PC is the fact they don’t need to buy a PlayStation or an Xbox.

Again, it’s perfectly fine to support what Sony is doing from a business perspective while opposing it from a consumer perspective.

lifa-cobex

You're blind or lying. It was there on the right side since before launch.
What are you talking about mate?
You've linked me to a steam discussion page.

Where is it on the store page?

Mr Moose

What are you talking about mate?
You've linked me to a steam discussion page.

Where is it on the store page?
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20231207163847/https://store.steampowered.com/app/553850/HELLDIVERS_2/
Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network
December 2023.
January 2024

Last edited:

Roberts

Afaik, Baltic users had to register the account as a Russian Federation account, same with a few Asian countries where they had to registered a Hong Kong PSN account.
My info is super old, so I dunno how it works now.
I'm from Baltics and if I remember correctly I could make any EU account, but chose Finnish one.

Top Bottom