• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

Mortisfacio

I still don't get what's so good about Helldivers. This just looks like your typical live-service game to me.

But I wish everyone fun with it, I guess.

At least with my friends that enjoy it, the commonality is this is their first game of this type. They've yet to play the very similar games already out that were just sort of meh. It can be amusing to play with friends, but short of that it's really just a forgettable experience for me.

Three

These account requirements are all bad so I'm glad we're finally getting some people complaining but it's kind of funny to see the people who have happily signed up for other accounts without issue throwing a fit here.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean, I have a PSN account...so I'm good...sucks for those PC exclusive players

Also I haven't really played Helldivers 2 in a while. Kinda got bored with it. I blame Tekken 8.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I still don't get what's so good about Helldivers. This just looks like your typical live-service game to me.

But I wish everyone fun with it, I guess.
The whole "put 4 dudes(ttes) in a map and have them kill stuff" has been a fairly popular formula since Left 4 Dead. Other games like Deep Rock Galactic and Risk of Rain 2 also found plenty of success there, and Helldivers 2 just happens to be the newest installment with good execution and high production value.

omegasc

I'm not following.
So it's OK to have multiple accounts when you want to "share" games, or get them for a lower price, but suddenly it's an issue to have to create one to play this game?
How many here have accounts for other regions? I have US and BR ones because PSN was not available in BR for some time. Used to have a JPN one as well, to get access to demos.
What am I missing?

GymWolf

2Gb.gif

nial

Gold Member
And why are you here trying to defend a multi million dollar company? Also just a quick reminder:

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users

May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts

November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures

August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts

September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack

October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

And this is just those we know.
The spring 2011 situation was a whole mess, but It also happened before this, and the later ones in your post didn't involve any sort of user data getting stolen.
And the fuck does Sony Pictures have to do with Sony Interactive?

Last edited:

Three

I don't think i've ever seen a single instance of enforced 3rd party accounts on PC games met with positivity. Ever, anywhere at all.
I'm not saying there is positivity for it. What is there to be positive about? Though I'm sure manabyte and co were full of glee about achievements or something. but did FH5 get review bombed for account linking requirements? Did KyoZz completely shit on that requirement when he bought it? Doubt it.

Last edited:

Braag

As long as I don't need yet another launcher, then I'm fine with this. But yeah, this is gonna get review bombed to oblivion.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We're talking about the steam account linking here. I don't remember people causing such a fuss when the bought FH5 that required a MS account, or SoT or anthing else for that matter.
Yes, there was but not for Forza but for prior games. By the time those games rolled around, Xbox Live was already well-established on PC. Hell, it's been established since the late 2000s with the much-maligned Games for Windows Live which died a horrible death because of how much PC players hated it, even after they stopped their extortion practices.

Helldivers 2 will suffer review bombs, but the players will eventually come around and it'll just be another account among the dozen or so we already use.

The point is that this isn't some anti-Sony bias like this poster tried to claim. PC users just hate additional launchers and/or accounts.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm not saying there is positivity for it but did FH5 get review bombed for account linking requirements? Did KyoZz completely shit on that requirement when he bought it? Doubt it.
It wasn't enforced months after the purchase so people were generally aware, or could refund if they bought without paying due attention. Doesn't mean people were "fine" with it tho.

Or rather, wasn't the hatred for 3rd party accounts on PC games pretty well know by now? Why are we even discussing this?

Last edited:

Three

Yes, there was but not for Forza but for prior games. By the time those games rolled around, Xbox Live was already well-established on PC. Hell, it's been established since the late 2000s with the much-maligned Games for Windows Live which died a horrible death because of how much PC players hated it, even after they stopped their extortion practices.
What was the prior game that got review bombed for it? It would be interesting to see.

Helldivers 2 will suffer review bombs, but the players will eventually come around and it'll just be another account among the dozen or so we already use.
Or rather, wasn't the hatred for 3rd party accounts on PC games pretty well know by now? Why are we even discussing this?

I would have expected that since it's become so common people would know the drill by now, just create an account. not like they didn't need to for countless other games. That was my point, that's why we're discussing it. I said:

but it's kind of funny to see the people who have happily signed up for other accounts without issue throwing a fit here.

Last edited:

ulantan

I'm here for the choas wouldn't it be funny if pc users raise holy hell and clamored for refunds. Only for sonys take away to be that the brand is toxic on PC so they slow pc releases.

Anchovie123

I just created a PSN account to see the process.

Took me literally 1 minute with a temp email and had to put 0 payment or personal information in.

Crying over nothing as usual.

Guilty_AI

I would have expected that since it's become common people would know the drill by now, create an account, not like they didn't need to for countless other games. That was my point, that's why we're discussing it. I said:
Very similar situations happened with Borderlands 2 and Rocket League, that also retroactively began enforcing third party accounts followed by subsequent insatisfaction and review bombing. And it'll happen again to any game that pulls this off in the future. It hits a lot different when you're playing a game just fine one day and the next morning you are forced into making some new account, especially considering you lost your chance at refund.

Gaiff

What was the prior game that got review bombed for it? It would be interesting to see.
Way back when GFWL was a thing. It was even worse at the time because GFWL was a separate launcher that Microsoft eventually killed off due to the sheer vitriol it generated. The Xbox app and associated Microsoft services are essentially a rebrand of GFWL. This had been a thing on PC for almost 15 years prior to the launch of FH5, so of course you wouldn't see this with FH5 since Microsoft accounts in PC games had been a thing for decades before this game existed.
I would have expected that since it's become common people would know the drill by now, create an account, not like they didn't need to for countless other games. That was my point, that's why we're discussing it. I said:
All of them got the exact same reception. EA Play/Origin, Uplay/Ubisoft Connect, Battle.net, that shitty Bethesda app that eventually died because people wanted nothing to do with it. Furthermore, there's a bit of a nuance there. The game had been playable for almost 2 months without requiring an account after the requirement was removed, but now they're reintroducing it to a lot of players who never even knew this was a thing and it's pissing them off.

It isn't an anti-Sony thing, let's stop with this. It's an anti third-party account thing and PC players have hated those for years.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It wasn't enforced months after the purchase so people were generally aware, or could refund if they bought without paying due attention. Doesn't mean people were "fine" with it tho.

3rd party launchers especially f with SteamDeck / Linux and are super annoying.

The point is you need EA,Ubisoft,2k.Rockstar account etc...
I do not play games on PC with that DRM. Uplay screwing me out of several games with an update that deleted my account information was the straw that broke the camel's back. This is why I buy from GOG instead of Steam when given the option and only buy games on Steam without this bloatware.

Last edited:

Sentenza

As long as it's just a one-time account linking and not an additional client I have no particular problem with it.

Three

Way back when GFWL was a thing. It was even worse at the time because GFWL was a separate launcher that Microsoft eventually killed off due to the sheer vitriol it generated. The Xbox app and associated Microsoft services are essentially a rebrand of GFWL. This had been a thing on PC for almost 15 years prior to the launch of FH5, so of course you wouldn't see this with FH5 since Microsoft accounts in PC games had been a thing for decades before this game existed.
I'm not sure why we're discussing Games For Windows Live. That thing wasn't really about account linking on steam it was a shit store, a bad launcher, trying to push paid online to PC.
All of them got the exact same reception. EA Play/Origin, Uplay/Ubisoft Connect, Battle.net, that shitty Bethesda app that eventually died because people wanted nothing to do with it. Furthermore, there's a bit of a nuance there. The game had been playable for almost 2 months without requiring an account after the requirement was removed, but now they're reintroducing it to a lot of players who never even knew this was a thing and it's pissing them off.

It isn't an anti-Sony thing, let's stop with this. It's an anti third-party account thing and PC players have hated those for years.
You're mostly listing people's gripes with launchers. people buying games on Steam in recent times have not had an issue at all with signing up to accounts to play their games as I said some have happily done so and bought games with the requirement. It was just funny to see that the same people who have happily signed up to accounts for other games throwing a fit now. Those who absolutely hate account sign ups on principle and wouldn't buy a game because of it (to request a refund) are different. I was referring to those who have happily signed up for accounts in the past now throwing a fit specifically.

Last edited:

schaft0620

I don't see what the big deal is. You are getting Trophies now and that's really it.

Long term, this is the only path to cross buy.

Indies, third, and second party devs would also be able to leverage cross buy via Sony.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PC gamers when an EA game needs an EA account: 👍
PC gamers when a MS game needs a MS account: 👍
PC gamers when a PS game needs a PS account: 🤬
Not really (y) plus PSN sux much more than the others as they love to leak costumers account informations.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Not that easy. Because most of these launchers have helper services, that if disabled break the launcher.
So then, we have to enable it again, reboot windows and only then will it work.
? I don't let any launcher boot with Windows. "Helpers" are another thing. They only launch when I open the launcher, not with Windows.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
? I don't let any launcher boot with Windows. "Helpers" are another thing. They only launch when I open the launcher.

Helper services boot with Windows. Even Steam has one.
Disable it and Steam will stop working, then asks you to enable it and restart.

Gaiff

I'm not sure why we're discussing Games For Windows Live. That thing wasn't really about account linking on steam it was shit a store, a bad launcher, trying to push paid online to PC.
Because GFWL required to have a Microsoft account which linked to other Microsoft services which to this day still work. FH5 didn't introduce this, GFWL did and there were a myriad of games that had this requirement so why would you expect FH5 to get review bombed when for one, it was there from the game's launch, and for two, dozens of games before it had the requirement. This meant most players already had an Xbox/Microsoft account anyway.
You're mostly listing people's gripes with launchers. people buying games on Steam in recent times have not had an issue at all with signing up to accounts to play their games as I said some have happily done so and bought games with the requirement. It was just funny to see that the same people who have happily signed up to accounts for other games throwing a fit now. Those who absolutely hate account sign ups on principle and wouldn't buy a game because of it (to request a refund) are different. I was referring to those who have happily signed up for accounts in the past now throwing a fit specifically.
Third-party accounts or launchers make no difference. The problem is the same; signing up for yet another service that may or may not be intrusive and players just aren't down with that. I've had a PSN account since 2007 so I don't really care but if I didn't, I'd get annoyed by having to sign up for another account. Steam, GOG, Ubisoft Connect, EA Play, Xbox Live, Battle.net, Epic, WOW, Square Enix, and I'm probably forgetting a few more. People just don't have patience for this, especially when it wasn't enforced but now is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it's okay for PC players to be a bit miffed if they've been happily playing for months with their Steam account, only to be told by Sony that they HAVE to have a PS account for THA SECURITIES.... when we all know that security has fuck all to do with it, and it's all about fleecing more money from people by making them sign into their eco-system to be sold at, and about bumping up 'engagement' to please shareholders.

Point being, it's an unnecessary move, made by a greedy company, and everybody can see that.

You thought you were gonna get Playstation games day one on PC, WITHOUT needing a PS Network account? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I have to call BS on that.
If you have Steam, etc booting with Windows, their helpers will boot too. If you don't have Steam, etc booting with Windows, they should not launch by themselves, unless they are a service set to automatic, but then you can set them to manual on task manager. That way they will only launch if the launcher runs too.

Top Bottom