• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hide Forum Threads - A Tampermonkey script for hiding unwanted GAF threads

terrisus

No worries, I'm fine continuing with the previous version (I rolled back to it when I was having issues already). I realize that a Classic version (which 12.17 is the current version of. There's two versions of the Opera browser now) of a lesser-used browser
(curse all of you for ignoring the superior web browser!)
isn't high on the to-do list. Enjoy your holidays!

Cool, thanks.

Minor suggestion: Put NeoGAF in the script's title, preferably at the beginning for alphabetical sorting reasons. Makes scripts for a given site cluster together in long lists.

This needs to made into a gaf feature. Or at least when you block someone, you block their threads as well. There are three people right now I would block because of their constants threads based on every fucking random thought they have.

This would be really cool. There are a couple people I just don't need to see threads from.

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to hide the "This message is hidden because _________ is on your ignore list." messages. Tends to clutter threads when you have avid posters on ignore.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Running into a problem with 0.3 on the latest build of Firefox via Ubuntu 14.04. For some reason the program keeps defaulting to a blank space on the dropdown menu instead of "show unignored only", so I keep seeing every thread I don't want to see along with the threads I do want to see every time I refresh the page or change between the different GAF tabs. This was not an issue on the older code I was running previously, which I believe was 2.0.

JeTmAn81

Running into a problem with 0.3 on the latest build of Firefox via Ubuntu 14.04. For some reason the program keeps defaulting to a blank space on the dropdown menu instead of "show unignored only", so I keep seeing every thread I don't want to see along with the threads I do want to see every time I refresh the page or change between the different GAF tabs. This was not an issue on the older code I was running previously, which I believe was 2.0.

I noticed this too, will be fixing it.

JeTmAn81

Ok, that bug in Firefox should be worked out and I've got the hide thread link working as a pop-up X in Chrome, Firefox and Safari now. Same thing goes for the new hide user option (an X will pop up next to the user's name to hide threads by that user). Should be posting an update tomorrow. The only thing left I'm interested in doing with this is a decent mobile version, but to make that most useful I'd want to integrate data sharing between desktop and mobile versions for people who switch back and forth between them like I do. And if there's anything else I notice that can make the script run faster I'll do that.

terrisus

The only thing left I'm interested in doing with this is a decent mobile version, but to make that most useful I'd want to integrate data sharing between desktop and mobile versions for people who switch back and forth between them like I do.

That would be awesome.

Having this on desktop now, browsing on mobile is so cluttered >.>

terrisus

By the way, I really like it how you changed it so the Hide icon doesn't appear when you're on your Subscriptions page. Makes navigating that much easier.

tcrunch

What does the script use to remember what threads you have hidden? I added it to my work comp today, which deletes all history and everything every time I shut down the browser. What do I need to let it remember to make the script's hidden threads stay hidden?

Coreda

What does the script use to remember what threads you have hidden? I added it to my work comp today, which deletes all history and everything every time I shut down the browser. What do I need to let it remember to make the script's hidden threads stay hidden?

The script keeps the settings in the browser's local storage. Not sure what can be done if the system is restored to a state upon shutdown, apart from seeing if a portable browser via USB can be used. With a portable browser all settings are kept within the same folder, rather than the host. See Firefox or Chrome portable for example.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is there any progress on pulling up threads from other pages? Once that functionality is in I think I'll start using this.

JeTmAn81

The script keeps the settings in the browser's local storage. Not sure what can be done if the system is restored to a state upon shutdown, apart from seeing if a portable browser via USB can be used. With a portable browser all settings are kept within the same folder, rather than the host. See Firefox or Chrome portable for example.

Yeah, it's permanent storage in the browser but if you've got something that's wiping out your browser info it will go away. You could make a copy of what's in local storage and paste it back in but to do that every time would be so cumbersome it's unlikely to be worth it. If at some point I do get a decent mobile version working, a data-sharing solution (via the cloud) will likely go along with that to facilitate maintaining settings across multiple devices, so that would be a fix for this is well.

The new version automatically pulls up threads from the next 5 pages - check the OP.

That is correct. There's also an option to turn off this functionality if desired.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So, what are the plans moving forward? I found that some words that I want to squelch on the Off Topic side are not words that I want to get rid of on the Gaming side, like "trailer." Trailer on the Off Topic side almost always will refer to movies, which I'm not very interested in, but instances of trailer posted on the Gaming side are for video games that I might want to look at. Will filters ever be subforum specific?

JeTmAn81

So, what are the plans moving forward? I found that some words that I want to squelch on the Off Topic side are not words that I want to get rid of on the Gaming side, like "trailer." Trailer on the Off Topic side almost always will refer to movies, which I'm not very interested in, but instances of trailer posted on the Gaming side are for video games that I might want to look at. Will filters ever be subforum specific?

I'll look into this. It's probably as simple as adding a selector for choosing the subforums to which the word applies (defaults to all).

Other than that, I'm not doing anything with this right now since the mobile stuff isn't working great with the existing options on Android. I did download the Chromium code with pipe dreams of writing my own user script features into Android Chrome (lol).

terrisus

Is there a way (there might already be, and I just haven't noticed) to completely hide posts from a user - that is, for instance, it would go straight from Post 8 to Post 10 without showing Post 9 saying "This message is hidden because X is on your ignore list?"

Is there a way (there might already be, and I just haven't noticed) to completely hide posts from a user - that is, for instance, it would go straight from Post 8 to Post 10 without showing Post 9 saying "This message is hidden because X is on your ignore list?"

You might be able to do this if you use Chrome and the Stylebot extension and hide the block that contains the ignored user's post. I do this on another forum (not ignoring anyone on here).

wildfire

Banned

To each his but from my own experience I think it's a feature that could backfire on you. Shit posters can bring attention to a news topic that is interesting.

Coreda

I'll check that out, thanks =)

Install this, click Manage extension, and add a new Style with neogaf.com in the 'Domains' and the following line as the Code.

Code:
.postbit.ignored {display: none !important;}

To create a per-user list you'd need a userscript, as this will simply hide all ignored posts. May also be confusing when clicking the sources of quotes.

terrisus

Install this, click Manage extension, and add a new Style with neogaf.com in the 'Domains' and the following line as the Code.

Code:
.postbit.ignored {display: none !important;}

To create a per-user list you'd need a userscript, as this will simply hide all ignored posts. May also be confusing when clicking the sources of quotes.

It works!
Super-awesome!

This thread has been amazing with solving issues with GAF =)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I liked the 'Hide' word underneath the neogaf logo instead of a X, so is there an easy way to use that instead? but still retaining the new code enhancements.

...and my only word filtering for threads is "Am I the only one'

Whenever I add something to the word filter, it causes the control panel to get wider, until I have to enlarge my browser window. It only returns to its normal size when I refresh the page (I'm on Chrome and OS X Yosemite)

redlegs87

This is awesome thanks so much for this can finally not be tempted to click any thread related to GG and feel like projectile vomiting all over my monitor and keyboard any more!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This is awesome thanks so much for this can finally not be tempted to click any thread related to GG and feel like projectile vomiting all over my monitor and keyboard any more!

This has made my browsing experience on Gaf super fluid and nice. It removes really strange threads, depressing threads with crazy violence around the world and letting me concentrate on topics I love the most.

'Time better spent' -addon

Am I the only one who loves Hide Forum Threads? :þ

If you make it, I won't see it, but I don't care because I won't see it. :)

adj_noun

I liked the 'Hide' word underneath the neogaf logo instead of a X, so is there an easy way to use that instead? but still retaining the new code enhancements.

I have Am I the Only One, Is Anyone Else, and Is It Me.

lednerg

Is there any way to export your block list or synchronize it with your other computers and browsers?

You can export/import it manually with a Local Storage manager like this one. It's a little bit of work, though.

When you're on NeoGAF, you click the yellow icon in the URL bar and look for the IgnoreList key in the popup. If you use word or user filters, they will be in keys called WordList and IgnoredUserList. Click Edit next to those and you'll be able to copy/paste them into a text file or email.

tcrunch

Damn I forgot this. Critical addition to my list!

SDsbOcD.png

lednerg

Damn I forgot this. Critical addition to my list!

SDsbOcD.png

I just tested it and that's going to block threads which have "me" and "my" within words, such as game and myth. There's ways to get around that with regular expressions (don't ask me how, though).

tcrunch

I just tested it and that's going to block threads which have "me" and "my" within words, such as game and myth. There's ways to get around that with regular expressions (don't ask me how, though).

Well that sucks. Guess I'll take out those two for now and figure out the contexts they're most often used in instead.

Seventy70

Is it possible to make a script where you can press a button and have it hide all of the posts that quote a certain post? I think that would be useful for the annoying times people keep quoting a first post joke or troll posts.

terrisus

Is it possible to make a script where you can press a button and have it hide all of the posts that quote a certain post? I think that would be useful for the annoying times people keep quoting a first post joke or troll posts.

Along those lines, it would be amazing to have a way to hide any posts that quote someone that one has ignored.

I second this. 4chan X does it for 4chan posts and it's a godsend.

Top Bottom