• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hide Forum Threads - A Tampermonkey script for hiding unwanted GAF threads

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Whenever I click add for the filter, it acts like it's pressed but nothing happens. Any ideas? Don't have any other gaf scripts running.

Has it become set to show all?

Edit: Now I'm getting something similar. I'm pretty sure I've hidden this thread about three times, it is hidden at first, but then the next time I load whichever page it's on I can see it again.

JeTmAn81

FYI I'm currently reviewing the reports of bugs and also looking at some easy ways of improving performance as well as implementing expiration dates. Just haven't had much free time to make changes lately.

Dr. Buni

The extension isn't working for me anymore. The "x" to hide threads doesn't appear and the 400 daily Bloodborne and Amiibo threads are bloating the first page again.

Edit: And it is working again. :)

JeTmAn81

The extension isn't working for me anymore. The "x" to hide threads doesn't appear and the 400 daily Bloodborne and Amiibo threads are bloating the first page again.

Edit: And it is working again. :)

Glad to hear it!

V0.7 has been posted, adding logarithmic thread processing and thread expiration option. See bottom of OP for more details.

Rest

Cool, I hadn't noticed the update yet. I guess I'll go in now and start fiddling with our new options.

Son Of D

Is there not a way to block threads made by a specific user? Since there's someone on gaming side who makes so many bullshit threads.

Or am I just missing something?

Is there not a way to block threads made by a specific user? Since there's someone on gaming side who makes so many bullshit threads.

Or am I just missing something?

I'm still using the older version but an X appears next to the thread starter on the thread list which is probably how you ignore threads by OP.

Dr. Buni

Glad to hear it!

V0.7 has been posted, adding logarithmic thread processing and thread expiration option. See bottom of OP for more details.
Will the blacklisted terms disappear if I install the update? Just curious, because if so, I will take a screenshot of them before installing.

JeTmAn81

I'm still using the older version but an X appears next to the thread starter on the thread list which is probably how you ignore threads by OP.

That's right.

Will the blacklisted terms disappear if I install the update? Just curious, because if so, I will take a screenshot of them before installing.

No, banned words should not be affected at all. If you already have an existing list of banned threads it will automatically add the current date as the ignored date for those threads, which can then be used by the filter expiration feature. I should probably add this info to the OP.

Dr. Buni

No, banned words should not be affected at all. If you already have an existing list of banned threads it will automatically add the current date as the ignored date for those threads, which can then be used by the filter expiration feature. I should probably add this info to the OP.
Very nice. Thanks for keeping the script updated!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Is it possible to push the updates, or somehow for the browser to check if there is a new version of your script?
Edit: Hmmm, when I check the settings in Firefox it has an automatic update check. Maybe it checks so rarely that this new one wasn't checked yet.
And the timed blocking is a great feature. I usually hide game threads to not get spoiled and then unhide when I have played them.

And I think every time this thread gets bumped, I have to thank you for this add-on script.
Keep being awesome.

paparazzo

Ever since updating to 0.7 I've been seeing ignored people's threads pop up, and clicking X by their name again does nothing.

Using Chrome on OSX 10.10 and Firefox on Windows XP.

JeTmAn81

Ever since updating to 0.7 I've been seeing ignored people's threads pop up, and clicking X by their name again does nothing.

Using Chrome on OSX 10.10 and Firefox on Windows XP.

It's possible that the changes I made to how the ignored threads are processed could've cause an issue with the processing of ignored users. If it's causing a problem, I recommend rolling back to 0.6 until I get a chance to debug and update.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Running in to an interesting scenario: I block so many threads that I can't open the Filter CP anymore.

Is there any way to threshold the number of block threads to, say, 1000 (automatically unblock the oldest blocked threads--most of them will be well off the front page by then anyway)?

Alternatively, is it possible to be able to view the thread block filter (so I can add *marvel* *suicide squad* *fantasy four* *superman* *batman* *spider-man* *spiderman* etc. to my block list) without having to pre-load the blocked threads tab?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Finally I can eliminate Ariana Grande, Iggy Azaelia or any kind of Pop music threads!

JeTmAn81

Running in to an interesting scenario: I block so many threads that I can't open the Filter CP anymore.

Is there any way to threshold the number of block threads to, say, 1000 (automatically unblock the oldest blocked threads--most of them will be well off the front page by then anyway)?

Alternatively, is it possible to be able to view the thread block filter (so I can add *marvel* *suicide squad* *fantasy four* *superman* *batman* *spider-man* *spiderman* etc. to my block list) without having to pre-load the blocked threads tab?

I definitely didn't anticipate people blocking quite so many threads that it would cause this kind of a problem. One answer is to implement paging on the blocked threads list so it only loads X number of threads at a time (maybe 100). I think you could probably also use the thread expiration feature to keep your list from getting too big. Is it just really slowing down or will it not open the control panel at all?

Cyan

Banned
Are mods allowed to block threads? How do you...moderate?

It doesn't really work like that. :p If stump blocks all superhero threads, all YA threads, all Russian lit threads, it doesn't make any difference in his moderating since he wasn't reading those threads anyway. And if a moderation question comes up relating to a thread of that type he can still follow links to it.

For the most part, mods are just going about their ordinary business on GAF, reading the threads they'd have been reading anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I definitely didn't anticipate people blocking quite so many threads that it would cause this kind of a problem. One answer is to implement paging on the blocked threads list so it only loads X number of threads at a time (maybe 100). I think you could probably also use the thread expiration feature to keep your list from getting too big. Is it just really slowing down or will it not open the control panel at all?

It looks like if I'm willing to wait a long time (30+ seconds I can get it open). So I turned on the expiration function and tried to write some smarter text filters and hopefully that will help over time.

JeTmAn81

It looks like if I'm willing to wait a long time (30+ seconds I can get it open). So I turned on the expiration function and tried to write some smarter text filters and hopefully that will help over time.

I'd suggest just deleting your entire ignored thread list since most of them are really old. You can find it in the IgnoreList key in your browser's local storage for neogaf.com. If you don't know how to find local storage for your browser, a quick Google search should tell you how. Simply deleting that key should do it. You can also make a copy of the text if you change your mind later and just paste it back in to that key to restore the list. This won't affect your ignored word or user list.

Firework

Banned
Ugh, thank god for this. Goodbye, Marvel/DC/comic book shit threads. There are always 10 of them on the front page, shit.

Dr. Buni

Is anyone else having trouble with the extension lately? It shows up in the threads page, but it doesn't hide the threads I want anymore and the "x" doesn't appear next to the threads either. This is happening in both Chrome and Pale Moon btw.

Is anyone else having trouble with the extension lately? It shows up in the threads page, but it doesn't hide the threads I want anymore and the "x" doesn't appear next to the threads either. This is happening in both Chrome and Pale Moon btw.

I've had that for a while now. Windows and Chrome.

terrisus

Sorry if it's answered/covered elsewhere, but is there any way to block an entire phrase? Because entering a phrase seems to block out any thread including any of the words.

In particular, I'm just incredibly sick of constantly seeing and having to block the constant "NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #5816 'Word'" threads - which for some reason is in a new thread for every single "challenge" instead of being in one larger "NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenges" thread.

Dr. Buni

I migrated to Firefox so I can have the extension working again. That is how essential it become for browsing NeoGAF to me.

Rest

Sorry if it's answered/covered elsewhere, but is there any way to block an entire phrase? Because entering a phrase seems to block out any thread including any of the words.

In particular, I'm just incredibly sick of constantly seeing and having to block the constant "NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #5816 'Word'" threads - which for some reason is in a new thread for every single "challenge" instead of being in one larger "NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenges" thread.
I'd filter out "writing" because it's not a very common word in thread titles. I doubt you'd miss out on much that you're interested in.

lednerg

If you select Regular Expression, then it will treat it as a phrase. It is case sensitive, though. If you want to make it case insensitive, then select Regular Expression and enter:

[cC]reative [wW]riting [cC]hallenge​

There are no quotes needed. Regular Expressions are a programming thing and they can be very powerful, but also very annoying. Wikipedia has a good summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression#POSIX_basic_and_extended

If you use Regular Expressions for |OT| topics, then you'll have to account for the | being a character used in the Regular Expression language itself. Same goes for brackets, parentheses, periods, and the others on that Wiki page. You can get past this by using the \ character beforehand.

\|OT\|​

Yes, that's a pain, but you can also use Regular Expressions to get rid of all |OT| topics including the numbered ones, like |OT2|, |OT3|, etc. by using the . (period) which stands for any character and the * (asterisk) which means zero or more of the previous character:

\|OT.*\|​

That gets rid of all |OT| topics and the numbered ones, even something like |OT954|. And yes, you could do something like:

.reative .riting .hallenge​

and that will take care of the case of the words as well, since the period stands for any single character.

JeTmAn81

Let me look at the way it's processing normal word filtering (not with regular expressions). It doesn't seem right that it should be filtering each word instead of whole phrases, so I can update that if needed.

Concerning other issues, I can't really duplicate them on my end but some things could be due to local storage filling up or just the browser not being able to process a large amount of ignored data. Again that's something I hadn't considered but I would think the thread expiration feature would help with that.

Dr. Buni

There is no amount of ignored data, though, since the extension doesn't allow me to ignore threads and the previously ignored ones disappeared (on Chrome).

This is really a great tool! It took me a while to get it working on Mac with Safari (I'm using something called NinjaKit to use the greasemonkey script. If someone knows a better way to get it to work with Safari, please let me know) but I finally got it sorted out. Only problem is that it doesn't cloud sync (it either deletes everything or nothing gets synced).

I wish this was a feature of GAF so I could have it on the iPhone and iPad.

I think it's time to disable the "Let's take out the trash" user script someone made a while ago since this works so much better.

JeTmAn81

FYI I doublechecked the code for filtering by words and it should only be blocking threads which include all the words in the phrase if you're filtering by a multiword phrase. So filtering by "Creative Writing" would ignore a thread called "Creative Writing Thread #5434" but would also ignore "I like to be creative, I like writing!".

Dalek

Is there a way to have this remove the word "So" from a thread title if it's the first word of the title? It's a particular pet peeve of mine.

JeTmAn81

Is there a way to have this remove the word "So" from a thread title if it's the first word of the title? It's a particular pet peeve of mine.

I believe this regular expression will do it:

^So\s

^ matches the beginning of a line, \s matches white space.

edit: I thought you wanted to hide those threads, but if you just want to remove the So part this script isn't set up to do that.

Top Bottom