• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hide Forum Threads - A Tampermonkey script for hiding unwanted GAF threads

Coreda

Decided to make a userstyle for hiding disliked avatars. For those annoying enough I'd usually ignore a user but it's more flexible to just hide it, and makes it possible to add comments.

screenshotsrjtb.png

terrisus

Decided to make a userstyle for hiding disliked avatars. For those annoying enough I'd usually ignore a user but it's more flexible to just hide it, and makes it possible to add comments.

screenshotsrjtb.png

Awesome!

I've been doing this manually for years.
Since, I don't want to completely turn off avatars, but some avatars are just disgusting (and, back in the animated avatars days, distracting)

Great to have a more convenient way to do it though.

JeTmAn81

Is there a way (there might already be, and I just haven't noticed) to completely hide posts from a user - that is, for instance, it would go straight from Post 8 to Post 10 without showing Post 9 saying "This message is hidden because X is on your ignore list?"

Looks like you guys found another way of doing this.

I liked the 'Hide' word underneath the neogaf logo instead of a X, so is there an easy way to use that instead? but still retaining the new code enhancements.

...and my only word filtering for threads is "Am I the only one'

It should be pretty easy to have an option for the hide link, so I'll take a look at that.

Whenever I add something to the word filter, it causes the control panel to get wider, until I have to enlarge my browser window. It only returns to its normal size when I refresh the page (I'm on Chrome and OS X Yosemite)

This is bad code on my part, just an lazy measure to keep the control panel from being too small. I should be able to fix it.

This is awesome thanks so much for this can finally not be tempted to click any thread related to GG and feel like projectile vomiting all over my monitor and keyboard any more!

At first I thought you meant Guilty Gear and I was all like

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

but then I realized you meant GamerGate and I was like

1914427990_large_bidenfingergrad2dn_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

I hid that thread too.

You can export/import it manually with a Local Storage manager like this one. It's a little bit of work, though.

When you're on NeoGAF, you click the yellow icon in the URL bar and look for the IgnoreList key in the popup. If you use word or user filters, they will be in keys called WordList and IgnoredUserList. Click Edit next to those and you'll be able to copy/paste them into a text file or email.

Yeah, it's just stored as JSON in local storage. Currently checking into a free cloud storage solution for sharing that data.

I just tested it and that's going to block threads which have "me" and "my" within words, such as game and myth. There's ways to get around that with regular expressions (don't ask me how, though).

You could probably just end the hide word with a space and that would do it.

screenshotsrjtb.png

Nice! It might be useful to have a way of managing the list of hidden avatars.

Coreda

We need a userscript that changes ignored user posts to a choice of Florida Man or Cuphead. Complete with rotating avatars and random posts.

Inspired by a small custom modification of the above style to now change names on the blocked avatar list to 'Florida Man'.

JeTmAn81

Anybody know of a free .NET web API host? I've got a cloud sync solution working but need a free web service host. I've got it hitting a free MongoDB store already. Another type of web service would work too but I've already written a working .NET one.

JeTmAn81

I made a new update with cloud syncing and some other options. The usual link to get it is here:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7106-neogaf-hide-forum-threads

I'll post the changes here and in the OP:

Update - v5.0

Cloud sync - Cloud syncing has been enabled. By default it is turned off. You may enable it on the settings tab of the control panel.
Click the generate button to create a new cloud sync key. Enter that same key in other browsers/computers to keep your data
synced up. You have the option to sync data instantly (every time a change is made), or every 1/5/10 minute(s).
Note that cloud sync frequency is set individually per instance, and is not saved to the cloud, so you'll have to set it
to what you want. Default is 5 minutes.

Link styling - You now have the option to have the hide thread/user links show up the normal way (an X appears when
you hover over the NeoGAF logo for threads or the user's name for users) or to have Hide/Show specific links show up.
Defaults to "X". This can be changed on the settings tab.

Word filter area - You now have the option to apply a word filter only to gaming or off-topic sections. By default, word filtering
will apply to all areas, but you can make it specific when you add a new word now.

Bug fix(es) - Fixed the issue where the control panel was enlarging every time it was opened. Should now default to
60% of screen size.

This was a bunch of work. I've never written a cloud-syncing application before, so I had to work out an algorithm
that made sense to me. Hopefully it works well. I also had to figure out a free host I could use for the
web service backend, in addition to finding a free database option (MongoDB) As always, let me know if you find any bugs.

terrisus

Cloud sync - Cloud syncing has been enabled. By default it is turned off. You may enable it on the settings tab of the control panel.
Click the generate button to create a new cloud sync key. Enter that same key in other browsers/computers to keep your data
synced up. You have the option to sync data instantly (every time a change is made), or every 1/5/10 minute(s).
Note that cloud sync frequency is set individually per instance, and is not saved to the cloud, so you'll have to set it
to what you want. Default is 5 minutes.

Megaton!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I forgot I asked for a feature and you delivered! Thank you sir!

And this add-on script also is superhelpful when new games are coming out. I hide the popular spoilery threads until I play the game myself. Out of sight, out of mind.

terrisus

So, hey, it's not a big issue or anything, but I figured I would mention this. Sometimes randomly (I haven't really found any rhyme or reason behind it) after threads have been pulled from previous pages, the last thread is repeated a few times, like so:

FYpAIx9.jpg

As I said, it's really not any issue at all, just figured I would make mention of it.

JeTmAn81

So, hey, it's not a big issue or anything, but I figured I would mention this. Sometimes randomly (I haven't really found any rhyme or reason behind it) after threads have been pulled from previous pages, the last thread is repeated a few times, like so:

FYpAIx9.jpg

As I said, it's really not any issue at all, just figured I would make mention of it.

I did notice this but it was usually just one repetition. Let me know if you can recreate it consistently and I should be able to fix it.

terrisus

I did notice this but it was usually just one repetition. Let me know if you can recreate it consistently and I should be able to fix it.

Yeah, most of the times I've noticed it, it's just been one as well. Forget if I would occasionally see two or three. Frankly, half the time I don't scroll down that far (with this awesome ability to hide threads, all the threads I need are actually at the top, as opposed to having to wade through pages of junk to find some decent threads), and if I do get to the bottom, I often don't even pay attention to duplicate threads there.

It just really caught my attention and made me think I should mention something when I saw that many. So, I'll try to keep an eye out for it happening again, and anything that may precipitate it.

And, once again - this thing is absolutely awesome <3

terrisus

160SAhd.jpg

I had been hiding some threads as I went down the list before getting to the bottom, so I don't know if it was like that when the page loaded, or quite possibly that when a thread was hid, and so the script went to pull the next thread from the next page, instead it pulled what had previously been the last thread on the previous page.

terrisus

Hmm... Think this is the first time I've had this happen when it wasn't at the bottom of a page...

q0aadia.jpg

That said, I was going down the page hiding some stuff, so it's possible that may have been the last thread on the page, or first thread to be pulled from the next page, at some point, and just worked their way up as I was hiding stuff.

Which makes me think that next time I see duplicate threads, I should try hiding some stuff above it while keeping an eye on them and see what happens...

terrisus

Alright, so, I had a duplicate thread on the bottom of the list (so 2 of the same thread).
Don't know exactly what led to it getting there, but the important part follows...

I hid another thread further up the list, and the last thread was duplicated again, so there were 3 of them.
Then I hid another thread further up the list, and the last thread was duplicated yet again, so there were 4 of them.
Same deal with another, now 5 of them.

Now a really interesting part...
Only the first of them had an X appear by it, the others didn't... And...
When I clicked the X by the first one of those threads, they all got hidden.

So, hopefully that's all helpful information =)

terrisus

Well, this is odd...

ntW9W34.jpg

(For what it's worth, these little issues don't actually bother me any. Just trying to help)

Schrade

Well, this is odd...

ntW9W34.jpg

(For what it's worth, these little issues don't actually bother me any. Just trying to help)

Are you killing threads when this starts to happen?

I've seen this happen when I block a thread and then the script pulls from page 2 (or more).

If you refresh do you still have the problem?

terrisus

Are you killing threads when this starts to happen?

I've seen this happen when I block a thread and then the script pulls from page 2 (or more).

If you refresh do you still have the problem?

Yeah, it's generally when I've been hiding threads, so it's likely something to do with the pulls.
Although I think that's the first time I had one different one in the middle of repeats like that.

I hadn't tried refreshing, but I'll check that next time I notice it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Well, this is odd...

ntW9W34.jpg

Do you just have too many hidden threads? I've seen a duplicate once, and it's only been since I've started hiding more threads. I also clear out my list every once in a while, because older threads do die eventually.

terrisus

Do you just have too many hidden threads? I've seen a duplicate once, and it's only been since I've started hiding more threads. I also clear out my list every once in a while, because older threads do die eventually.

Oh, I have a ton of hidden threads :þ
And never clear them out >.>

Meh, I'm fine with duplications like that - as I said, it's not really that big an issue.

JeTmAn81

I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, but I'm sure this is enough information to go on. I'll just need to take a look at the process which grabs extra threads.

lednerg

If the script kept track of the threads it has already displayed, maybe in an array of thread ID numbers, you could then have it avoid them.

tcrunch

Tried the new cloud sync to get my work computer (that remembers nothing on its own) to sync with my home computer and it worked great. Thanks for the addition!

Rest

Would an option to automatically remove threads from the ignored list after 31 days be feasible? It helps performance to clear out the list from time to time, but doing it manually is a bit of a chore. This option could get rid of monthly threads that will drop off or be locked anyway, and most other riff raff doesn't last a month for the most part.

JeTmAn81

If the script kept track of the threads it has already displayed, maybe in an array of thread ID numbers, you could then have it avoid them.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I haven't checked the code yet but IIRC I'm telling it to check for threads in additional pages every time the count is under 40, so multiple thread hidings could cause it to keep going out and searching the same threads and adding those redundant listings.

Does it sync between devices?

Yes indeed, if you choose that option in the control panel.

Would an option to automatically remove threads from the ignored list after 31 days be feasible? It helps performance to clear out the list from time to time, but doing it manually is a bit of a chore. This option could get rid of monthly threads that will drop off or be locked anyway, and most other riff raff doesn't last a month for the most part.

I'll take a look at this next time I'm updating the script.

JeTmAn81

Updated the script, just minor bugfixes to get rid of the issue with repeated thread listings and also an issue preventing any more additional threads from being retrieved after 5 threads had been hidden in one session. Sorry to Rest, I decided not to implement thread expiration dates because it would incur too much overhead doing the work to update the database, web service, script, etc. If you're finding yourself hiding a huge ton of threads it might be more useful to use the word filter and try to come up with some common words amongst the threads you don't want to see.

terrisus

Nifty, thanks for the update =)

And, I'm going to continue hiding tons of threads, regardless of any performance hit :þ

Rest

Updated the script, just minor bugfixes to get rid of the issue with repeated thread listings and also an issue preventing any more additional threads from being retrieved after 5 threads had been hidden in one session. Sorry to Rest, I decided not to implement thread expiration dates because it would incur too much overhead doing the work to update the database, web service, script, etc. If you're finding yourself hiding a huge ton of threads it might be more useful to use the word filter and try to come up with some common words amongst the threads you don't want to see.

I'm mostly hiding movie and TV threads, so common words that I might use also will block threads that I do want to see. I'll just keep culling as needed.

Zolo

Just wanted to add my thanks for this script! Its really useful when you have no interest in amiibos!

JeTmAn81

Just wanted to add my thanks for this script! Its really useful when you have no interest in amiibos!

No doubt, Amiibo is definitely in my word filter. One particularly clever fellow posted a popular Amiibo thread with the title misspelled as Amibo, so I changed it to a regular expression that would screen that too:

Am(ii)|(i)bo

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I just don't see the appeal of Amiibos and there are sooooo many threads about them.

Anyway, I think I'm reconsidering the idea of not letting hidden threads expire. As I think about using this script longterm and all that (eventually irrelevant) thread data piling up it makes me want to prevent that. So when I get the time I'll make that update. Might have to figure out a way to differentiate the threads that are likely to stick around longer so they stay banned.

terrisus

Might have to figure out a way to differentiate the threads that are likely to stick around longer so they stay banned.

Maybe something like if a thread has over 100/200/500/whatever posts it stays hidden no matter how old it is/how long ago it was hidden?

Which would allow stuff like "Community" threads and "|OT|" threads and stuff that stay near the top to stay hidden, while allowing small threads which have long since fallen off to be cut out of the list.

Rest

No doubt, Amiibo is definitely in my word filter. One particularly clever fellow posted a popular Amiibo thread with the title misspelled as Amibo, so I changed it to a regular expression that would screen that too:

Am(ii)|(i)bo

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I just don't see the appeal of Amiibos and there are sooooo many threads about them.

Anyway, I think I'm reconsidering the idea of not letting hidden threads expire. As I think about using this script longterm and all that (eventually irrelevant) thread data piling up it makes me want to prevent that. So when I get the time I'll make that update. Might have to figure out a way to differentiate the threads that are likely to stick around longer so they stay banned.
The 31 day period I suggested was a little short, but I haven't been able to think of a better expiration timeframe. it sounded like you were thinking of the expiration date having something to do with the extension interacting with the website, but I was thinking it would be something done in program; the cookie would have a log of the date that a thread was added and then delete it when the time was up, I wasn't thinking it would be something that it needed to interact with the site for. But I know nothing about coding so I don't know what you've already done or if it even works the way I'm imagining.

Bold One

Am(ii)|(i)bo

Fan or not, no one should be subject to the constant biblical flood-like proportion of marketing from corporate evangelists.

Thanks again, your'e doing the Lord's work

tcrunch

So I switched from hiding particular threads to doing all my blocking based on words, which does help with the performance a lot and will actually help with sanity/obsessive hide clicking too. Basically any time you see a thread on a game you don't care about just add the game's name to your list. The downside to this is the metric ton of indie games that are announced/released every month, there's nothing really to be done about that. But at least once you have the name, you have it for life.

I also recommend resisting the urge to hide some of the vaguely named threads that will remain (ex. a thread about some technical aspect of the PS4 you don't care about, but you can't hide using "PS4" as a word)- once you have a complete word list, they aren't too bothersome and it will keep you from accumulating threads in the background.

edit: also my off-topic word list is horrifying but it keeps OT nice and upbeat

LOLDSFAN

That's a pretty good idea. Usually the political ones that I try to ignore drop off after 5 days or so.

Schrade

In v0.6 the X no longer shows up when I hover over the NeoGAF logo (Go to latest unread post).

It was working fine in 0.5.

Nevermind. Fixed it. Not sure what I did to fix it though.. :p

Actually, it had something to do with neogaf.com vs. www.neogaf.com. I'm not sure how I ended up on neogaf.com because I hate the look of that. Must have followed a link or something.

Hello I was referred to this script by someone in another thread and it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Does anyone else have issue with it running in Chrome? When I downloaded the script Chrome disallowed it and even when I manually added the extension, Chrome disallowed it again. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Whenever I click add for the filter, it acts like it's pressed but nothing happens. Any ideas? Don't have any other gaf scripts running.

I'm using this in extension with the Chrome app Autopagerize and the filter does not effect the extra pages it loads. Are you aware of this problem and is it possible to fix?

This has been running fine but just recently I've noticed it not working at all. The menu option and button are shown at the top of the page as usual but don't do anything. The little X to hide the thread no longer appears and threads are not hidden when they were before. This is on Windows 8.1 on Chrome on desktop PC and tablet.

Not sure if it is linked to a recent update or some JavaScript that I'm blocking although I've not changed anything recently on that front.

Any plans to try the mobile version again?

Hello I was referred to this script by someone in another thread and it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Does anyone else have issue with it running in Chrome? When I downloaded the script Chrome disallowed it and even when I manually added the extension, Chrome disallowed it again. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

Install tampermonkey first

Top Bottom