• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

Is the NeoGAF team being updated at all? There are lots of applications in the thread but it has only 18 members so far. Or is it on ice until we get official notice?

EDIT: Should read the thread before I post, sorry.
Still waiting on a response. I haven't added anyone from the last few pages until I get one.

Klyka

Banned
Have you guys noticed how pretty much every bigger streamer on this website is either polish or russian? Quite peculiar.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have you guys noticed how pretty much every bigger streamer on this website is either polish or russian? Quite peculiar.

The site is European-based. When the site first started out they mainly only had European-based servers, so they've been streaming longer. I've noticed that those who have been streaming to Hitbox for a while and grown a decent audience over the last few months has grown substantially the last few days, myself included. so since they've been streaming here for a while and gained pretty decent viewership even before the site had a small growth spurt, it's grown with the growth of the site.

Nanashrew

Banned
The site is European-based. When the site first started out they mainly only had European-based servers, so they've been streaming longer. I've noticed that those who have been streaming to Hitbox for a while and grown a decent audience over the last few months has grown substantially the last few days, myself included. so since they've been streaming here for a while and gained pretty decent viewership even before the site had a small growth spurt, it's grown with the growth of the site.

Yeah, Naegleria was talking about this in his stream with Cosmo and the others. Hitbox will be great for all the smaller people and finally give them the chance to grow which is impossible to do on Twitch right now with how completely cluttered it is. Naegleria had over 100 viewers last night which was his biggest viewership ever, Duckfist also had a pretty decent viewership with Madoola, much bigger than on Twitch.

The visibility is great there because of how small it is.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, Naegleria was talking about this in his stream with Cosmo and the others. Hitbox will be great for all the smaller people and finally give them the chance to grow which is impossible to do on Twitch right now with how completely cluttered it is. Naegleria had over 100 viewers last night which was his biggest viewership ever, Duckfist also had a pretty decent viewership with Madoola, much bigger than on Twitch.

Yeah, even I get like 15 viewers which is really quite cool

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Of course that won't last forever if the site grows, but for the now is definitely nice. When I started streaming on Hitbox last February I had about 10-20 viewers normal. In May I had gotten up to 20-35. As of late June I had gotten up to 30-45 viewers, as of late July I had gone up to 40-70 viewers, and in the last few days my average viewers have been 90-140, with an average usually over 100, and also my follower count has increased by almost 200 (to almost 550 followers) in just the last three days. So growth has been steady, but good, it's an upward slope and to see if things stay the same once the 'Switch from Twitch' stuff cools down a bit, I do think some others will stick around as I've been saying here the last few months I think Hitbox is a good streaming service.

I would suggest to place other values ahead though, of course I'm happy about the viewership increase over time, but the reason I started using the site was it working for more users than not, the lack of big delay, the functionality of the chat, communication with audience, kind staff that does listen to critique and are quite friendly, and a number of features they've been adding are features I like. But if Hitbox does grow in viewership, it will eliminate one big factor that has been holding a lot of people from making the switch the last few months.

Nanashrew

Banned
Of course that won't last forever if the site grows, but for the now is definitely nice. When I started streaming on Hitbox last February I had about 10-20 viewers normal. In May I had gotten up to 20-35. As of late June I had gotten up to 30-45 viewers, as of late July I had gone up to 40-70 viewers, and in the last few days my average viewers have been 90-140, with an average usually over 100, and also my follower count has increased by almost 200 (to almost 550 followers) in just the last three days. So growth has been steady, but good, it's an upward slope and to see if things stay the same once the 'Switch from Twitch' stuff cools down a bit, I do think some others will stick around as I've been saying here the last few months I think Hitbox is a good streaming service.

I would suggest to place other values ahead though, of course I'm happy about the viewership increase over time, but the reason I started using the site was it working for more users than not, the lack of big delay, the functionality of the chat, communication with audience, kind staff that does listen to critique and are quite friendly, and a number of features they've been adding are features I like. But if Hitbox does grow in viewership, it will eliminate one big factor that has been holding a lot of people from making the switch the last few months.

Oh definitely. The delay of chat and video is almost non-existent, it's really nice! I can actually watch the streams without Flash hogging all my resources and 60fp on any resolution besides just source quality. There's a lot of good qualities to find and more to be added (can't wait for dark themes!). I actually really like the direction the site is heading.

Nokterian

Just streamed a bit of WoW and a gaffer watched my stream went pretty good,stable 60fps but WoW tanked on some moments. I will try other games tommorow.

bjork

I'm still having playback problems when I try to watch people's recordings. Is this normal, or my connection acting up?

Mesoian

I'm still having playback problems when I try to watch people's recordings. Is this normal, or my connection acting up?

It can be problematic. Editing recordings into videos using their online tools is exceedingly annoying due to the time it takes to actually load sections of the recording/video. It's probably where hitbox needs to focus their efforts, especially if they want to cull the archiving problems that Twitch had, which ended up spinning out of control.

Arken2121

I've been enjoying hitbox quite a lot. I still have the 2 signed copies of Wildstar I need to giveaway and i'm thinking of just doing it there instead of Twitch.

I had 2 viewers on hitbox today while on twitch I had 0 the last few days. Success!

EDIT: But it didn't save a recording.. hitbox pls. I like using it but this is a total deal-breaker for me. :/

Recordings work for me, it's just not automatic. You need to go into your recordings section and save the ones you want.

They are working on automatic VODs: https://twitter.com/seriousownsya/status/499107932358082560

I know I have to save them individually, but they didn't even appear on my recordings page at all. I think I figured out the problem though, it didn't save because I was using japanese characters in my stream title. The next stream was saved as soon as I changed that.

Im testing but man getting a 40sec ad for fish every time I open the steam browser to check quality isn't helping, looks good except for that

GavinUK86

Just streamed an hour of the first person puzzler Q.U.B.E. at 720/60 and it looked and archived pretty nicely.

Apart from me being really dumb. I'm not great at puzzles.

It looks just as good as Twitch to be fair. Gonna stream something every night for a while to see how it all pans out.

http://hitbox.tv/gavinuk86

If you're already in the Neogaf club thing then you'll see when I'm online.

I have no plans to watch anything or stream anything on HitBox. I wish them luck, but Twitch has the traffic. Being a small time streamer, if I streamed there, I would have even less viewers... and there's not much of anything on there I want to watch. Twitch FTW

KyleCross

I have no plans to watch anything or stream anything on HitBox. I wish them luck, but Twitch has the traffic. Being a small time streamer, if I streamed there, I would have even less viewers... and there's not much of anything on there I want to watch. Twitch FTW

Actually streaming on Hitbox will most likely get you viewers. Twitch is as oversaturated as YouTube at this point. Competition is low on Hitbox... but so is everything else. But if you're a guy who only gets 0-2 viewers on Twitch, you may end up getting 6-10 on Hitbox.

Karak

Actually streaming on Hitbox will most likely get you viewers. Twitch is as oversaturated as YouTube at this point. Competition is low on Hitbox... but so is everything else. But if you're a guy who only gets 0-2 viewers on Twitch, you may end up getting 6-10 on Hitbox.

Have to agree here. Did one the day I heard about this and got a far larger pool of watchers it was pretty crazy actually.

Makai

Didn't look like there was a NeoGAF team so I went ahead and made one. If you want to join, just reply to this post with your Hitbox username. If you've got a 2000x400 image we can use as a cover that would be nice too!

http://www.hitbox.tv/team/neogaf

Username: Makai

I'll be streaming Smash Bros 3DS during the Japanese release. Choosing Hitbox so I can respond to requests quickly.

Here's a banner:

gvGFZ3c.jpg

SerTapTap

Youtube benefits small channels due to the volume of people searching and stuff. Twitch...doesn't have that advantage. Stuff unknown in the mainstream but with a cult following can get you surprisingly many hits on Youtube (this is where I get many of my hits, because I'm too small/slow to get hits on mainstream stuff, not that I try). Twitch...if you're not in the top X% you gotta bring your own audience or you're screwed.

Not so sure about Hitbox--there's definitely a lower barrier to entry to get on the front page, that's potentially nice. But livestreams really suffer from a lack of searchability inherent to the "live" aspect, and neither Twitch nor Hitbox seem to treat VODs as full or even half class citizens.

KyleCross

Youtube benefits small channels due to the volume of people searching and stuff. Twitch...doesn't have that advantage. Stuff unknown in the mainstream but with a cult following can get you surprisingly many hits on Youtube (this is where I get many of my hits, because I'm too small/slow to get hits on mainstream stuff, not that I try). Twitch...if you're not in the top X% you gotta bring your own audience or you're screwed.

Not so sure about Hitbox--there's definitely a lower barrier to entry to get on the front page, that's potentially nice. But livestreams really suffer from a lack of searchability inherent to the "live" aspect, and neither Twitch nor Hitbox seem to treat VODs as full or even half class citizens.

Yeah, with the changes Twitch has made recently and how massive it is... I actually don't mind if YouTube swallows it whole and integrates it now. Maybe having a dedicated streaming service combined with a dedicated VOD service will finally make a good Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich.

I've PM'd Bishoptl twice and tweeted at EviLore once and I haven't received a response from them.
Same thing happened to the twitch group, the plan was nice but nothing ever happened.

How would people feel about a dedicated streaming (community) thread that combined twitch and hibox? We can just collect the URLs of channels in a Google doc so people can follow what sounds interesting to them. The streamers could also post in the thread when they start streaming.

Not sure if there would be any interest in this or if it would even work.

Haunted

Pleasantly surprised by the quality and loading speed of the vods on hitbox.tv.

If I can choose, I'd pick hitbox over twitch every time. Now here's hoping streamers are switching as well.

I'm pretty pissed that I've already missed out on many games from the last two amateur Dota 2 tournaments I'm following (The Rektreational and GB's community tournament), because their vods on twitch got muted.

With twitch, I feel it's either watch live or GTFO, and as someone who mostly watches archives, I feel I'm being better served at hitbox.

Top Bottom