• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trailer (Sequel, PS4 has exclusive DLC, December 8, 2015)

Jb

It's not really content worth stressing out over. They aren't new levels or weapons. It's seems basically something like "you have 24 hours to kill this <random NPC> on this <random level you already have>."

That's my understanding as well. It's like saying you missed out on content because you didn't play yesterday's daily in Spelunky: technically true, but you're not really missing much.

Interfectum

that's my guess as well, it will most likely be some random contracts in existing levels. at the most maybe they are special npcs designed especially for those timed contracts but I honestly doubt that.

Even if it was specially designed NPCs, if it's some sort of daily mission it will be repeated.

Oneself

So, if I understand correctly, the only way I can play Hitman on December 8th is by getting the digital version through PSN?

I pre-ordered the physical version on amazon but I don't want to wait ...

Slowdive

Banned
So, if I understand correctly, the only way I can play Hitman on December 8th is by getting the digital version through PSN?

I pre-ordered the physical version on amazon but I don't want to wait ...

Yeah. The physical version isn't coming out until all the story has been released.

Ha! If it ain't raining, it ain't noir. :D

Hey, the best level in the series didn't have rain ;P

latest

justjim89

You know what makes me sad? This sounds like a real return to form for the series, but we won't have AuzzieGamer making hilarious videos for it, since he basically disappeared off Youtube.

If you haven't seen his hilarious Blood Money videos, do yourself a favor.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was literally watching a bunch of his videos again last night, lol. Sucks to see that he's been inactive for so long now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, he was awesome. Some people in the comments, have mentioned that he pretty much went on with life since making videos took a lot of time.

They were so good though. So damn good.

justjim89

It's especially crappy because he had just started Absolution, and had just posted a celebration video for making 100 videos and saying there was plenty more to come. And that was practically the last thing on his channel.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

latest

This is a level of a memory 'll never forget.

Killed the guy while he was in the chair while he's watching TV (no alarms)
I killed the lady in the pool by shooting the glass, grabed the necklace while FBI units rush in

I walk out through the front door.

Right through the front door.

justjim89

What I absolutely love is the feeling you get when you first play a new Hitman level. It seems so impenetrable. You're overwhelmed by spinning gears and moving pieces, and you know there are a dozen ways in yet simultaneously you're not sure what the hell could work. Then you try your first few attempts and get caught, get spotted, or get killed, but you slowly learn how the systems interact with each other and where the loopholes are.

You notice the janitor in Curtain's Down goes to the bathroom alone.

You notice the guy in the jacuzzi gets a drink brought to him regularly in You Better Watch Out...

You notice your target's regular trips to the sauna in Traditions of the Trade.

And as you poke and prod at the sprawling puzzle before you, fitting together the pieces, you finally have that perfect run where everything goes in it's proper place and you get your targets and get out with minimum collateral damage or guard awareness.

It's just so fucking intoxicating. I can't wait to get that feeling again with this game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What I absolutely love is the feeling you get when you first play a new Hitman level. It seems so impenetrable. You're overwhelmed by spinning gears and moving pieces, and you know there are a dozen ways in yet simultaneously you're not sure what the hell could work. Then you try your first few attempts and get caught, get spotted, or get killed, but you slowly learn how the systems interact with each other and where the loopholes are.

You notice the janitor in Curtain's Down goes to the bathroom alone.

You notice the guy in the jacuzzi gets a drink brought to him regularly in You Better Watch Out...

You notice your target's regular trips to the sauna in Traditions of the Trade.

And as you poke and prod at the sprawling puzzle before you, fitting together the pieces, you finally have that perfect run where everything goes in it's proper place and you get your targets and get out with minimum collateral damage or guard awareness.

It's just so fucking intoxicating. I can't wait to get that feeling again with this game.

Nailed it.

latest

It's certainly Top 3 in my house.

Yeah, I was replaying Blood Money recently and not enjoying it all, but then I realized that was because I was just going through the motions of playthroughs I had perfected years ago.

I can't wait for some fresh content to puzzle through! It's been way too long.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What's your top 3? Mine are New Life, Traditions of the Trade (Contracts version) and probably Beldingford Manor.

Damn fine selection. Always forget Beldingford.

New Life, The Meat King and OG Seafood Massacre. That last one sold me on the series when my friend showed C47 to me way back when.

I'd chuck Traditions of the Trade, Curtains Down, and Basement Killing/Jacuzzi Job not far behind.

He doesn't look like the hardass killer he is.

I always thought he was meant to be sort of bland and forgettable.

justjim89

Do we have any unedited gameplay? Im not talking about the "cinematic gameplay" trailer.

I doubt it. It seemed like even people with appointments didn't see much proper gameplay, they basically went into the dev console and freed the camera and just showed off all the intricacies of the level on display. On one hand, not having any gameplay video of a game out in December is troubling to a degree, but the idea that the emphasis is on the level design and not necessarily the moment to moment gameplay seems like they are going about the game with the right attitude.

I doubt it. It seemed like even people with appointments didn't see much proper gameplay, they basically went into the dev console and freed the camera and just showed off all the intricacies of the level on display. On one hand, not having any gameplay video of a game out in December is troubling to a degree, but the idea that the emphasis is on the level design and not necessarily the moment to moment gameplay seems like they are going about the game with the right attitude.
Yeah, I think the fact that the press demonstration was all about showing the puzzle pieces of the levels, and how the player can influence the NPCs and the sandbox, and different exits, and highlighting stuff like the suitcase and no magic pockets and the revamped disguise system, is enough proof that this is the Hitman we've been waiting for since Blood Money. The fact that puzzle pieces are there is more important than showing off an actual gameplay demonstration IMO.

The Reddit AMA is hands-on impressions though. Honestly I prefer hands-on impressions more than a long video walkthrough. The latter would spoil too much

Yeah, I think the fact that the press demonstration was all about showing the puzzle pieces of the levels, and how the player can influence the NPCs and the sandbox, and different exits, and highlighting stuff like the suitcase and no magic pockets and the revamped disguise system, is enough proof that this is the Hitman we've been waiting for since Blood Money. The fact that puzzle pieces are there is more important than showing off an actual gameplay demonstration IMO.

The Reddit AMA is hands-on impressions though. Honestly I prefer hands-on impressions more than a long video walkthrough. The latter would spoil too much

I prefer footage over written Hands-on stuff... Sometimes Hands-on articles dont reflect the final game...

Damn fine selection. Always forget Beldingford.

New Life, The Meat King and OG Seafood Massacre. That last one sold me on the series when my friend showed C47 to me way back when.

I'd chuck Traditions of the Trade, Curtains Down, and Basement Killing/Jacuzzi Job not far behind.

I always thought he was meant to be sort of bland and forgettable.

I tried C47 a few months ago. Has not aged well at all. 2 is pretty good, but the AI is bullshit.

Regarding his face, it's always had a distinct look. It's evolved throughout the series, but it's never looked particularly bland or everyday. I prefer the creepy, almost otherworldly-type face he had in the Contracts and Blood Money renders. Worked especially well with the atmosphere established in Contracts.

450px-Beldingford_manor.JPG

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I tried C47 a few months ago. Has not aged well at all. 2 is pretty good, but the AI is bullshit.

Yeah, C47 handles like a pig. It's why I don't have a problem with Contracts. Back in the day though, there was nothing like it. Hours and hours on Seafood Massacre. Helped that it was a Godfather reference, of course.

2 is good but the quality can vary. It has some of the highest highs (Invitation to a Party) and lowest lows (Motorcade Interception).

Regarding his face, it's always had a distinct look. It's evolved throughout the series, but it's never looked particularly bland or everyday. I prefer the creepy, almost otherworldly-type face he had in the Contracts and Blood Money renders. Worked especially well with the atmosphere established in Contracts.

450px-Beldingford_manor.JPG

Sure. I just always thought he should be forgettable, you know?

Yeah, C47 handles like a pig. It's why I don't have a problem with Contracts. Back in the day though, there was nothing like it. Hours and hours on Seafood Massacre. Helped that it was a Godfather reference, of course.

2 is good but the quality can vary. It has some of the highest highs (Invitation to a Party) and lowest lows (Motorcade Interception).

Sure. I just always thought he should be forgettable, you know?

The Japan missions in 2 are the worst. Though maybe not as bad as C47's jungle missions. Though yeah, Invitation to a Party was awesome, as well as Basement Killing.

It makes logical sense, but that distinct look works stylistically IMO.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The Japan missions in 2 are the worst. Though maybe not as bad as C47's jungle missions. Though yeah, Invitation to a Party was awesome, as well as Basement Killing.

It makes logical sense, but that distinct look works stylistically IMO.

I dunno, I quite liked Tracking Hyamoto. Shogun Showdown was pretty cool too. The Hidden Valley and At The Gates were a fucking waste of time. I also have mixed feelings about St Petersburg Stakeout since getting SA relied on a lot of luck.

Nah, that's fair enough.

Moff

those ultra long tunnel missions in hitman 2 are just the worst, together with control issues they are the reason why I overall liked absolution more than hitman 2.

c47 could probably be considered a bad game as well, still, I loved it and traditions of the trade is probably still my favourite hitman level, I hope we get another hotel level in the new one similiar to traditions of the trade and house of cards

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
those ultra long tunnel missions in hitman 2 are just the worst, together with control issues they are the reason why I overall liked absolution more than hitman 2.

A lot of Absolution's designs were basically tunnels. The Motel levels were particularly egregious examples. Hitman 2 had a ton of pretty sweet sandboxes.

c47 could probably be considered a bad game as well, still, I loved it and traditions of the trade is probably still my favourite hitman level, I hope we get another hotel level in the new one similiar to traditions of the trade and house of cards

Yeah, both those levels are excellent. I was stuck on HoC for quite a while. That was a pretty tricky Silent Assassin at first.

Any love for Death on the Mississippi? That's a cracker.

I've been replaying Blood Money recently. Although I know all the levels and generally remember how to get Silent Assassin, I'm finding this game really is not particularly fun on Professional difficulty. Can't remember if SA or Contracts were this bad on Pro.

A lot of Absolution's designs were basically tunnels. The Motel levels were particularly egregious examples. Hitman 2 had a ton of pretty sweet sandboxes.

Yeah, both those levels are excellent. I was stuck on HoC for quite a while. That was a pretty tricky Silent Assassin at first.

Any love for Death on the Mississippi? That's a cracker.

Blood Money had a ton of really good missions. The Mississippi ones were fantastic. Especially the one that let you dress up as a priest and strangle the groom after performing the ceremony.

I've been replaying Blood Money recently. Although I know all the levels and generally remember how to get Silent Assassin, I'm finding this game really is not particularly fun on Professional difficulty. Can't remember if SA or Contracts were this bad on Pro.

Why isn't it fun? Cheap AI? Generally high difficulty?

did blood money even have a bad level outside the tutorial area?

I wasn't a big fan of Death on the Mississippi or Til Death Do Us Part, but that could be because they were the levels I bothered the least with learning. I'm sure knowing all the ins and outs of them would make them probably pretty great, too.

(oh, and I loved Requiem from a story perspective but mechanically...)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
(oh, and I loved Requiem from a story perspective but mechanically...)

That's where Absolution's controls would've shined. Still, very nice idea.

I always wanted a mission where 47 gets caught on purpose and taken to a high security prison. He has to kill someone in solitary but you need to use (and eventually break) the prison routine to get a weapon and get to him.

The only level in Blood Money that I don't like. Too many targets, in my opinion.

That's what I enjoyed about it! :D Really nasty on Professional.

did blood money even have a bad level outside the tutorial area?

Nope. Best level design in all of gaming, if you ask me.

justjim89

New trailer is out for the movie. Rupert Friend looks to be a better fit for 47, but it looks like another generic action movie. Hitman as a series has a lot of fodder for an interesting film premise, but why do that when you can just turn 47 into Jason Bourne? At the very least I suppose he uses disguises, and hopefully there are no absurd secret assassin cult swords like in the last movie.

Ithil

Til Death Do Us Part is probably the most hilarious mission. Square dancing 47, kicking a guy into his own grave, chucking people to alligators, dressing as a priest and conducting the marriage, everyone armed to the teeth because it's Mississippi, and so on.

A New Life is the perfect example of a true Hitman mission, though. A small map, and not high difficulty, sure, yet there are so many, many ways to accomplish the mission, it's the easiest map to experiment on.

KORNdoggy

do you think there is a particular reason they've never made agent 47 look the same as their CGi artwork? if they just used that as a template i think everyone would be happiest but they always seem to use a different face for the game itself.

Top Bottom