• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trailer (Sequel, PS4 has exclusive DLC, December 8, 2015)

SomTervo

They said something about an "ever expanding world"?
What is that supposed to mean? Exclusive contracts? Digital release!?
Please don't tell me this is some f2p crap, or is missing a proper story.

Probably been answered, but I think it's going to be semi-episodic.

Like we'll probably get a bunch of missions with the retail disc/download, and then there'll be new missions/episodes added on throughout the following year. Like episodes in a Telltale game.

Going episodic, huh? A weird decision for Hitman.

It actually makes total sense. One of the main drawbacks of the series is that once you figure out the best couple of ways to complete a contract, it really drops the replay value. By varying up the targets, item placement and other factors, this is solved. It also allows for community participation and feedback.

You could sort of see IOI and SE Montreal doing this with Absolution's Contracts mode and the two (excellent) mobile games, and this is an extension of that.

Edit: ah you're talking about the levels themselves, fair enough.

Interfectum

Like we'll probably get a bunch of missions with the retail disc/download, and then there'll be new missions/episodes added on throughout the following year. Like episodes in a Telltale game.

Yeah that is what I'm thinking. They have to release with a decent amount of content though.

Ithil

435591-hitman-blood-money-xbox-360-screenshot-out-in-the-suburbs.jpg

Just give me an upgraded version of this and I'm good.

Interfectum

Just give me an upgraded version of this and I'm good.

With they way they are going about this game, I'd say it's almost guaranteed we'll get old maps.

My fanboy wishlist:
A New Life
Curtains Down
You Better Watch Out…
Beldingford Manor
Traditions of the Trade

Yeah this is the likely answer. I'm not a big fan of the expiring contracts, but I am a big fan of this style they're going for. Contracts mode was my favorite part of absolution by a county mile, so it's good that they're expanding on it. I really think the PS4 exclusive contracts are probably going to be pretty minimal, so even though I have a PS4, if I can get it for less on PC I may just do that instead, since I played the vast majority of the Hitman series to date on PC already anyway.

GravyButt

Hmm im interested to see how this plays out since once I figured out the easiest approach it sort of just turned into muscle memory and I kept doing it that way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They're saying all of the right stuff about level design and mechanics compared to Absolution

But time and actual gameplay footage will tell...

Interfectum

Yeah this is the likely answer. I'm not a big fan of the expiring contracts, but I am a big fan of this style they're going for. Contracts mode was my favorite part of absolution by a county mile, so it's good that they're expanding on it. I really think the PS4 exclusive contracts are probably going to be pretty minimal, so even though I have a PS4, if I can get it for less on PC I may just do that instead, since I played the vast majority of the Hitman series to date on PC already anyway.

Each level will probably have 20-30 "contracts" per (if not more). Expiring or exclusive contracts will be non-issues IMO. I think a good example is their mobile game. If you removed 7-8 "contracts" from the game you wouldn't even notice or care.

Terrible compressed steam screenshot but Agent 47's head was perfect in the last game so I'm not sure why they changed it again unless it's a prequel.
So round and perfect! Still think Absolution 47 has the best head modelling in gaming.

Oh well, can't have a new Hitman game without a face lift.

I like this 47 better. He looks more akin to the previous games and more like David Bateson. He was originally modeled after Bateson anyway.
2308940-david_bateson_mugshot.jpg

To catch the bullet casing.

Gun sideways - casing ejects upwards.
Gun normally - casing ejects sideways.

Leave no trace behind.

Such a great little moment in the trailer. There's something to be said for enticing you to play as a badass using competence

Jb

The weirdest thing to me about their release plan from what we know is that they said "For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story." Dropping $60 on a non-finished digital game seems like asking fans to take a real leap of faith, especially when we don't yet know if IO still has the talent to make a game worthy of Blood Money.

The weirdest to me thing about their release plan from what we know is that they said "For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story." Dropping $60 on a non-finished digital game seems like asking fans to take a real leap of faith, especially when we don't yet know if IO still has the talent to make a game worthy of Blood Money.

It's the Splatoon of Hitman

Fury451

Banned
This basically sounds like everything I would like a Hitman game to be.

You have my Silverballer IO. Please don't "Absolution" me again.

It being a complete story reboot is a bit of a bummer though.

DOWN

Banned
I think he's just younger, after all in the open letter they said in the game he'll be "at the prime of his career", so it's probably going to be a prequel.

Anyway, slick trailer, good to see IO is back on track after Absolution, which was a huge disappointment
They said it is standalone, but does take place after Absolution so not a reboot.
Sounds early access y. The "digital only first" is what leds me to believe this.

Yeah it does... My biggest concern is the amount of content at launch. If the game sells below expectations will they even bother giving us more content after a few patches?

On the bright side the way they are doing this I bet "blood money" dlc will happen.

The weirdest thing to me about their release plan from what we know is that they said "For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story." Dropping $60 on a non-finished digital game seems like asking fans to take a real leap of faith, especially when we don't yet know if IO still has the talent to make a game worthy of Blood Money.
Stahp. It's a fully funded sequel that is testing a brand new structure in AAA. Sure, the timeline of release means less of the money has to come up front from Square since levels will be finished as the months go on, but it is a full game.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, a developer from IO Interactive already confirmed that.
The question is what exactly are the contracts in the game.

http://www.hitmanforum.com/t/six-exclusive-contracts-on-ps4/2010/5

He says later

So, it's actually pretty simple. Playstation4 players get access to six unique contracts (as in Contracts Mode) that aren't available on the other platforms. What those contracts are, we'll disclose in a little while - not at E3, though. It's not full story missions or anything like that but additional content for Sony fans. Think of them as IOI created contracts that only exist on one platform. They are not, as far as I know, timed exclusive - just straight up exclusive, meaning they won't appear on any other platform ever.

I hope that helps.

I can live with that. I thought they were on about story missions in the press conference.

Foffy

Banned
Each level will probably have 20-30 "contracts" per (if not more). Expiring or exclusive contracts will be non-issues IMO. I think a good example is their mobile game. If you removed 7-8 "contracts" from the game you wouldn't even notice or care.

I dunno; I'd notice. The games actual targets are very interesting to find and try to take out. In fact, it's like the Sniper Challenge but with 12 targets in the level instead of just one.

Kinda waiting to unlock a mission in Sniper that involves the removal of all key targets.

R1CHO

I am very hyped about every new Hitman, but this episodic stuff, don't know how makes me feel yet, let's see today.

With they way they are going about this game, I'd say it's almost guaranteed we'll get old maps.

My fanboy wishlist:
A New Life
Curtains Down
You Better Watch Out…
Beldingford Manor
Traditions of the Trade

Man I would hate that, I hated it with contracts. I hope everything is new content.

SomTervo

I wouldn't worry about the expiring contracts. I think they'll be very ancilliary. Like there'll be tens upon tens of hand-crafted story-related hits, and just to keep the gameplay fresh they'll drop daily, almost random hits which people can race to get. It'll be a really minor part of the experience I think.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yes! Show me the new gameplay. I like the idea of the expanding world but I hope it doesn't come at the price of a shorter base game.

Serra

Last hitman game I really enjoyed and got into was blood money. Lets hope they chase after that rather than absolution. Platform exclusive contracts are fucking stupid though.

MAN, that was a cool trailer. Just oozing that icy style that Blood Money had.

Can't wait to see some gameplay, I'm betting it's going to be amazing.

Edit: Not even platform exclusive DLC is going to take away my hype.

Meneses

I moderately enjoyed Absolution, it wasn't that bad. The checkpoint system and multi-stage levels with respawning enemies were the major issue for me.

I'll be checking this out.

CG trailers do absolutely nothing for me, but I admit this one was pretty cool.

Meneses

I like Ironside as an actor but I never liked him as Sam Fisher. Always felt too old (even counting the fact that Fisher is not a youngster himself).

I hope the disguise system actually works this time, oh and checkpoints actually record progress and not just a new starting point when you die.

Top Bottom