• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trailer (Sequel, PS4 has exclusive DLC, December 8, 2015)

Hm... this business model could be really great, but I just wonder what the initial price and content will be. Hopefully it's more than just two or three levels at release.

Falchion

December 8 2015 for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Just confirmed by SE.

Can't believe it's so soon for this being the big reveal. I want to see some of the environments because I'm sure they'll cram hundreds of NPC's in there which is cool.

Foffy

Banned
Hm... this business model could be really great, but I just wonder what the initial price and content will be. Hopefully it's more than just two or three levels at release.

The game will be priced at $60. No idea if that's a "season pass", considering the way the game is flowing with content.

DOWN

Banned
I hope this business model feels just as good as any $60 standalone success. I'd hate for this to be a failed experiment at episodic AAA retail franchises.

Denton

Uhhh, this does not look like 47. He looked perfect in Absolution, what the hell?

Anyway, from design perspective things do sound good, and it sounds like it is not a reboot, but a sequel with rebooted name, which I like.

Please IO do not fuck this up. Absolution was enough for experiments.

Oh and exclusive anything of any sort needs to die in a fire.

edit - oh I just read the "live" "DLC" approach to development. Well, fuck. I just want a complete game :(

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait, so what is going on? It's an episodic structure but for contracts/missions instead of episodes? A contract/mission usually lasts 45-90 minutes, going by Hitman: Bloodmoney. Does that mean they will sell each contract individually? I am curious about when the physical release is, if this has an episodic structure. Hopefully all questions will be answered tomorrow.

Pikma

Banned
I'm just gonna keep Derrick's spirit alive and say the game will end up being a piece of shit. That "we're listening" bullshit is not enough for me to trust them.

Foffy

Banned
Wait, so what is going on? It's an episodic structure but for contracts/missions instead of episodes? A contract/mission usually lasts 45-90 minutes, going by Hitman: Bloodmoney. Does that mean they will sell each contract individually? I am curious about when the physical release is, if this has an episodic structure. Hopefully all questions will be answered tomorrow.

I imagine this is something like Resident Evil: Revelations 2. That game was cut up into episodes and sold as "bites", and then when all of the "bites" were out, a retail copy was released. This Hitman game is following that idea, at least in blueprint.

It seems they might be taking a "evolve the game as players play it" idea to the game, which was something originally planned for Hitman: Sniper, but scrapped, as the game appears to be one area with 150 missions in it. Seeing as that's the most recent Hitman game, and some of its ideas seemed to migrate to Hitman 6 - the evolving of the game idea is exactly the same idea they wanted for Sniper, but there has been no announcement of new downloadable contracts or stages being in the works since last years E3 - I imagine each "episode" of the game will have an area and a core target, but you can replay the areas with other goals in mind. At least, they kind of have to do that approach if each stage is coming once every few weeks. They should not want a repeat of Contracts mode like in Absolution: that petered up really goddamn quickly after the game launched.

All of this is an interesting experiment, but they kind of have to show off that the game is worth a $60 purchase when we know upfront that the title may not have many areas and targets at launch. I would not like this to be a repeat of a game like ArmA III in that all of its main bells and whistles come trickling out at such a pace you were better waiting for the game months after it came out to just play the whole thing instead of little drops every month or two.

Show me a game that has more promise than Absolution and have David Bateson and I'm on board.

EDIT: Also, according to the IGN stream post-Sony's event, Hitman 6 is NOT a reboot. It's set after Absolution.

DOWN

Banned

Sounds like it basically intends to be the most ambitious, high profile episodic game to date. A full retail game delivered in episodes (full contracts, with some story) that will release physically after the core campaign episodes have been delivered over several months. I'm sure full details come tomorrow with the gameplay premiere.

Metal-Geo

EDIT: Also, according to the IGN stream post-Sony's event, Hitman 6 is NOT a reboot. It's set after Absolution.

Huh, weird. I remember IOI explaining they wanted to focus on Agent 47's 'earlier' years with Hitman 6 - back when the first concept art was released, I think. And Agent 47 does look a bit younger in the trailer than he did in Absolution.

Ah well. Good to have him back.

Staf

Looking forward to this game, really like Hitman. PS4 is my console of choice and i still think this exclusive is bullshit.

DOWN

Banned
So this is the first AAA retail scope episodic game it seems. Ditching physical launch to deliver a $60 campaign over several months. Impressed, really. Can't wait for footage tomorrow.

Helscream

Banned
Well at least David Bateson is confirmed to be Agent 47 (He goddamn better be).

Also here is to hoping this will reach the level of glory that Blood Money did.

Terrible compressed steam screenshot but Agent 47's head was perfect in the last game so I'm not sure why they changed it again unless it's a prequel.
FE077A291BE0ECF5215D417651EDCDEEE0B417C3
So round and perfect! Still think Absolution 47 has the best head modelling in gaming.

Oh well, can't have a new Hitman game without a face lift.

Happy to see the Glacier engine coming back. IO straight up had some of the best lighting and atmosphere of the last gen. Hell, current gen games a lot of them don't come close. Absolution just oozed mood and atmosphere. One of the top-tier PS3 games in that regard.

DOWN

Banned
Happy to see the Glacier engine coming back. IO straight up had some of the best lighting and atmosphere of the last gen. Hell, current gen games a lot of them don't come close. Absolution just oozed mood and atmosphere. One of the top-tier PS3 games in that regard.

It was nice stylistically, but it wasn't a graphical leader so I'm a little baffled by why Square even makes in house engines when none of them are the best looking or do anything too unusual.

Denton

Terrible compressed steam screenshot but Agent 47's head was perfect in the last game so I'm not sure why they changed it again unless it's a prequel.
So round and perfect! Still think Absolution 47 has the best head modelling in gaming.

Oh well, can't have a new Hitman game without a face lift.
Yep, 47 looked perfect in Absolution. Really wish they kept the look, he looks terrible in the trailer.
But Bateson is good news. Nice to see they learnt their lesson there at least, after that fuck up with Absolution. Hopefully Bateson will do full mocap this time around.

CloudWolf

They've been saying all the right things though...

Yeah, but saying the right things and doing them are two different things, especially since almost none of the team that worked on the first four Hitman games are still working at IO. I'll see come December if they are actually able to deliver a halfway decent Hitman game.

Well that episodic release structure sure takes a lot of air out of this announcement after being excited by that really well cut David Fincher's Hitman trailer.

knerl

So excited! Absolution had great ideas, but it relied completely on scripts. AI's wouldn't lift a finger until you positioned yourself at certain points in most of the rather linear and small levels. This is supposedly going back to the roots which means open non-linear and most of all huge levels.

xrnzaaas

Trailer looks great, but that's about it. I'm not a fan of the planned episodic structure in this type of a game and unless Square's presentation blows me away I won't be spending 60 bucks (??) on an unfinished product.

Jb

Oh man, December 2015 would be so fucking cool. This fall's lineup is looking pretty decent now :D

Dabanton

6 exclusive contracts

fuck off

It's part and parcel of gaming now.

But as with most of these exclusive missions they never usually add up to much. Just a nice bullet point for the game box. As long as the main bulk of the game has good missions I'm all good.

This was the best presented trailer of the day for me. So damm slick. If the game retains that sleek but grubby feel. I'll be very happy.

The platform exclusive content isn't even the core problem of what's wrong with this.

We’re embracing what digital can offer a blockbuster game series like HITMAN – it allows us to do things that are both bold and exciting and entirely new to the Hitman experience.

We are building an expanding and evolving world of assassination. The experience will begin on December 8th and we will release new locations, missions and hits over time at regular intervals through 2016, which means we’ll all be able to share in the excitement of a new content drop at the same time. Rather than unboxing a game, playing it and then that’s sort of it, we want to deliver a true community experience - creating an ongoing and evolving game which plays out with a finale that brings the story arc together. Our primary goal is to keep HITMAN players fully engaged, so between bigger drops we will be creating one-off live events and live targets to keep you immersed in the experience.

Imagine a target appearing for every player in the world, for a limited time only… let’s say 48 hours. Where your one shot counts. And when that target is gone, it is gone forever. A shared experience where we imagine the HITMAN community will come together every time a new mission or new location appears. For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story.

What is this, triple A early access? This is worse than asking me to blindly buy a season pass, now they want me to blindly buy parts of a game and trust them, after Absolution, to deliver on the rest? Nope, not how this works. I'm fine with Io Interactive restarting the series if they're actually true to the core of what makes a Hitman game but you don't go from Absolution (as well as both Kane & Lynch games) to a game as a service and expect everyone to blindly jump on board. The only thing that's happened since Blood Money came out is the decline in output of Io Interactive. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, Kane & Lynch: Dog Days, and Hitman: Absolution has only spent what coin their reputation had for me.

Top Bottom