• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean awesome enough? This is like, a kickass oppurtunity for a great adaption. Never thought it would happen but now I need it to happen. It has a great story.

Who played Smith in the Matrix movies? He should be Inspector Lunge, the resemblance is uncanny.

Inspectorlungeintro.jpg

Looks more like MLS commisioner Don Garber

19garber.190.jpg

Sorry,dude. I am interested in mature thrillers rooted in reality. Stuff that doesn't have to much supernatural crap. Trying to get into manga makes my head spin.

Yeah, there's way too much stuff out there.

Anyway, if you like mind games, I would recommend Kaiji or Liar Game. If you haven't seen/read it already, maybe Death Note as well, though that might have too much supernatural stuff for you.

Flawfuls would probably be better at recommending stuff since I'm mostly into stuff with supernatural elements. I'll post more if I can think of any.

Edit: Oh, the Battle Royale manga is also pretty good, though the gore can be a bit much at times and take you out of the moment.

jgminto

Anyway, if you like mind games, I would recommend Kaiji or Liar Game. If you haven't seen/read it already, maybe Death Note as well, though that might have too much supernatural stuff for you.

Flawfuls would probably be better at recommending stuff since I'm mostly into stuff with supernatural elements. I'll post more if I can think of any.

I love Death Note but in no way is it a mature thriller. It's really a story of constant one upmanship between Kira and his pursuers. It's super over the top and enjoyable but not mature.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off

Edit: Oh, the Battle Royale manga is also pretty good, though the gore can be a bit much at times and take you out of the moment.

Cool, thanks for the recommendations.

Please, recommend me some of these titles.

I'm not a massive fan of Monster in the first place, so keep that in mind. I realize people place it high up there and I do think it's won some awards, so clearly it's a very respected work.

Anyway, what are you looking for? Similar stuff? In that case, see my post above. I can give more titles if you're more open to other stuff.

I love Death Note but in no way is it a mature thriller. It's really a story of constant one upmanship between Kira and his pursuers. It's super over the top and enjoyable but not mature.

Yeah I know, but I have heard people call it mature before, even a university professor. She didn't know much about anime, though. Still, it's definitely a thriller even if it is shounen.

Of course, I'd probably recommend the anime over the manga despite the butchered ending.

Whoa!

However, while I never finished the anime unless it gets really strange I feel like this was more along the lines of Fincher than Del Toro.

But I'm still pumped.

Linkhero1

WOW!!!!

My favorite anime/manga ever. I'm so happy now. I don't think I can express my happiness any further. I just hope they work really close with the creator and stay true to the manga.

Yeah I know, but I have heard people call it mature before, even a university professor. She didn't know much about anime, though. Still, it's definitely a thriller even if it is shounen.

Of course, I'd probably recommend the anime over the manga despite the butchered ending.
The anime is everything. I can't imagine experiencing Death Note without that music and those amazing murder montages.

If not for the Ryuk problem, I suspect Death Note would've received more than a handful of incredible Western adaptations by now. I'm dumbfounded nonetheless that no one's at least attempted it - it's a surefire hit.

Can't wait for Monster, though. Ideas for Johan?

AlexPettyfer.png

Maybe.

flawfuls

Sorry,dude. I am interested in mature thrillers rooted in reality. Stuff that doesn't have to much supernatural crap. Trying to get into manga makes my head spin.

I am really liking Rainbow by George Abe.

If you like Urasawa's work then definitively try Tezuka's thrillers. Like I said earlier MW is basically the basis for Monster, but Adolf and Ode to Kitohiro are also really good.

Akimi Yoshida also does really great thrillers that are similar to Tezuka and Urasawa's. Banana Fish is the only one you can read in English fully. She also did Kisshou Tennyo which is sort of like Monster with a female (and superior) Johan.

Necrovex

I remember when I was in high school, I brought in Battle Royale to read in class to kill time....I wasn't prepared for what I got.

But Cosmic, I wouldn't mind hearing some recommendation on some supernatural manga (or any senin).

Ithil

ibgIBqJSHbXVyn.gif

My favourite ever anime, and the one I recommend to absolutely everyone, even those t hat aren't anime fans.

I'm not a massive fan of Monster in the first place, so keep that in mind. I realize people place it high up there and I do think it's won some awards, so clearly it's a very respected work.

Anyway, what are you looking for? Similar stuff? In that case, see my post above. I can give more titles if you're more open to other stuff.

I'm open to anything.

I'm open to anything.

Well in that case, here's stuff I have ranked at 9 or higher on Mangaupdates.

7 Billion Needles
Alive: The Final Evolution
Anamorphosis
Angel Densetsu
Battle Royale
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Alchemist
Great Teacher Onizuka
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
Inugami
Parasyte
Kyou Kara Ore wa
Kurohime
Masturbation Master Kurosawa (don't let the name fool you)
Psyren
Flame of Recca
Sexy Commando
Sumire 16-sai

Now keep in mind, my tastes might be out there for some people. I know some people that find some of these to be abysmal. Still, I liked them a lot.

Edit: Also, this is all completed stuff. There's some quality ongoing stuff like Attack on Titan or (obvious answer time) One Piece.

I remember when I was in high school, I brought in Battle Royale to read in class to kill time....I wasn't prepared for what I got.

But Cosmic, I wouldn't mind hearing some recommendation on some supernatural manga (or any senin).

If my post above doesn't suffice, maybe ask the manga thread. I'm more of a shounen guy, so they'd probably have better recommendations.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, at least they picked the right one and not the abomination that is 20th Century Boys.

Monster, I can get behind.

It would be great if they keep Tenma... well, Tenma, instead of transforming it into Kenneth or Michael or Jack.

Riposte

There are so many grounded, modern (or slightly futuristic) setting manga that could be adapted into tv shows. Untapped potential for that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom