• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

Kill3r7

Im trying to understand whow Horizon is by the numbers game.

It is pretty similar to Far Cry from a gameplay perspective but that is not a bad thing at all. FC3 was one of the best games last gen. Horizon has streamlined the formula and made some quality of life improvements. Also, it tells a much better story than most Far Cry games. Plus the robots are amazing. Horizon is an excellent game.

Ha ha; why do people make these dumb statements about games they haven't played?! The combat alone in Horizon feels unlike anything else I've ever played; I'm playing on Hard and I love how I need to use all of my inventory and tactical options to get through a tough battle. It's far more in-depth than I'd expected.

Mmm, I'm playing on hard myself and I find myself using everything to survive the vast majority of encounters. Traps, ropes, tear arrows, the whole lot, to take down bigger enemies. I think the only thing I've yet to use is the rattled.

sirronoh

Holy Hell, make a shitpost against a game you haven't played and decided you didn't like before it released and were dismayed it sold more than another game you haven't played purely, I'm assuming, because you like the Zelda franchise and then imply other users are the fanboys and the ones making a defense because something is a 'sacred cow' (after five days, no less - versus an established franchise). You have played neither and yet offer a 'dissenting opinion' of 'sadness' that a game sold well.

What a line of argumentation, I'll have to try this at some point.

Damn.

Now looking forward to Media Create and NPD threads in a few days. Horizon is something special and the team at GG deserve all the success.

Dremark

Banned
Luckily for Guerilla and Sony that most of us have better eyesight than you. Easily the best looking console game to date on my 4K panny.

My eyesight is pretty bad, glasses help a lot though. Admittedly I haven't looked too much into the game, I'm backlogged and it didn't catch my interest when the game was revealed. I'm backlogged and may look into it later, I'm not trying to trash the game if it came off that way.

I don't see why Sony would close the studio responsible for their biggest new IP in almost four years?

Which IP is that? If you mean this one and this game had bombed I could have seen it happening.

Guerrilla Games was never in danger of closing down.

How many first party studios have high profile bombs and stay open? I really can't think of any, closing after a high profile game tank seems like the usual MO for MS and Sony.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations guys, you managed to quote the 1 Zelda shitpost 52 times. So that's 53 derailing shitposts I had to delete, instead of reacting to a simple PM report appropriately.

Please: No more Zelda vs. Horizon crap.

My eyesight is pretty bad, glasses help a lot though. Admittedly I haven't looked too much into the game, I'm backlogged and it didn't catch my interest when the game was revealed. I'm backlogged and may look into it later, I'm not trying to trash the game if it came off that way.

Which IP is that? If you mean this one and this game had bombed I could have seen it happening.

How many first party studios have high profile bombs and stay open? I really can't think of any, closing after a high profile game tank seems like the usual MO for MS and Sony.

Guerrilla Games have been steadily producing money making games for years with the Killzone franchise. It's not like they are Sony Bend that is very likely in a do or die situation with Days Gone. Santa Monica didn't get shut down after their new IP got shelved. They had layoffs, but they are already building back up.

prwxv3

Congratulations guys, you managed to quote the 1 Zelda shitpost 52 times. So that's 53 derailing shitposts I had to delete, instead of reacting to a simple PM report appropriately.

Good luck in moderating the March NPD thread when that time comes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck in moderating the March NPD thread when that time comes.

tumblr_inline_nmpxhp5ceA1raprkq_500.gif

forms

It is pretty similar to Far Cry from a gameplay perspective but that is not a bad thing at all. FC3 was one of the best games last gen. Horizon has streamlined the formula and made some quality of life improvements. Also, it tells a much better story than most Far Cry games. Plus the robots are amazing. Horizon is an excellent game.

Haven't been able to get into any of the Far Cry games personally, and I usually have a problem with the "Ubisoft formula", but so far Horizons is amazing to me.

I've always maintained that right now is always the best time to be a gamer. We have more choice and bang-for-buck than ever.

Personally, I've decided not to buy any 2017 releases until I've cleared my 2016 backlog. I very nearly buckled at the weekend - but managed to stay strong and resist! It's a win/win for me - when I have time to play these great games, they'll probably be discounted more heavily. :)

I don't see how this moment of [deserved] success for HZD says anything about Z:BotW. There's a lot of factors at play.

We're enjoying such an embarrassment of riches we're trying to work out which diamond is has more sparkle than the other.

I don't really understand why you're talking hypothetically saying what if this game had bombed, when it clearly hasn't?

Vitten

Can't say I'm surprised it beat Zelda. Huge difference in user base and Nintendo has been facing a tough struggle in Europe to stay relevant in the console market for quite some time now.

The Switch seems to at least have a lot more buzz than the Wii U ever did. Hope NIN can keep it up.

Lifeline

I've played Far Cry 2,3,4 and Blood Dragon and Horizon feels nothing like Far Cry.

I'm so happy for GG, I've bought all of the Killzone games and loved the worlds they created, but hated the story and the characters.

With Horizon, I love the gameplay, the story, the world, and the characters. It's amazing.

black070

I love Far Cry 2-4 to bits but the comparison is reductive at best.

raw

Dremark

Banned
I don't really understand why you're talking hypothetically saying what if this game had bombed, when it clearly hasn't?

You realize you can click the links and look at earlier posts in the thread, right?

I said I was glad the game did well because I didn't want to see GG Amsterdam close down like GG Cambridge did and then I received a bunch of replies which I addressed.

Game doesn't look that great to me but I'm glad it's selling. It'd be a shame if Sony closed the other Guerilla studio.

What a random post, lol. What is this conjecture based on, may I ask?

edit. Apparently based on a hypothetical situation where Horizon bombed.

Shredderi

Well deserved! I was hoping that Sony's plan to make this into a big new franchise would work and it seems to be working! I want more of this in the future.

Kill3r7

I've played Far Cry 2,3,4 and Blood Dragon and Horizon feels nothing like Far Cry.

FC3 alone contains all of the following: collecting resources to upgrade outfits and weapons, bandit camps, radio towers, being attacked by various creatures and enabling you to do conquer the world using a bow. Also the FC comparison has been made by several outlets. I certainly did not come up with it by myself.

Shredderi

FC3 alone contains all of the following: collecting resources to upgrade outfits and weapons, bandit camps, radio towers, being attacked by various creatures and enabling you to do conquer the world using a bow. Also the FC comparison has been made by several outlets. I certainly did not come up with it by myself.

I've enjoyed my time with Horizon more a lot more than I have any Far Cry game but I think it is a fair comparison.

Thank you.
People are too reactionary. What is the point of replying to a post that dozens of others have already done for you?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Congrats to GG! No small feat, it also seems a deserving game going by the critics and fans, can't wait to play it myself.

It.....Outsold.....Zelda :0

No shit? lol
Zelda has sold <100k, I mean how many PS4 out there compared to Switches (80k) and Wii U (<shit)?
It's a new IP but with a big budget, year-long marketing, astounding reviews and... on PS4.
I think it'll also have a great second week fueled by wom.

Zelda, thanks to the abysmal userbase, will probably plummet in its 2nd week maybe even 5 spots in the charts and definitely in sales, tho it depends what the Switch's stock situation will be like (I know that apparently it has not totally sold out launch's allocation but scarcity would still have a considerable impact on Zelda's numbers)

Great sales, great game. Another huge Sony IP in its arsenal. Has the potential to be even better for the sequel as they build on the strong foundations of this one.

Catdaddy

Well deserved, I’m 15 hours in and just got the cauldron quest, still just having fun hunting dino-mechs. Just from eyeballing my friends list, figured this was a big release. Don’t think I have seen that many playing the same game since UC4 release, and stayed that way all weekend. Noticed Amazon US has it sold out… I was quietly optimistic when it came to this game until the reviews dropped and then pre-ordered.

Top Bottom