• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, no, you're not biased at all.
The only thing that I wouldn't classify as big is the pass through camera.

Actual 6DOF controllers (VR input) and room scale tracking are undoubtedly big. Even if one questions the latter, the former is indisputable.

Well, after the Oculus price i guess this one was expected.

My hope is PSVR with up to 350 bucks, which is the most i'm willing to spend on VR as an early adopter, other than that i will just have to wait.

VR is not VR. PSVR is only remotely comparable to Oculus or Vive. PSVR is a low end solution, like Samsung Gear, but more expensive and with a worse resolution (depends on your mobile but should be noticeable higher than PSVR).

Nonetheless PSVR should give a glimpse of VR. But hopefully it does not scare away potential VR users who are not aware that there are better solutions out there.

Caffeine

Entry price on these is just too much for me I would rather just buy a console with that kind of money.

I expect psvr at $500 after these last 2 price announcements.

Anybody who has used a recent version of all the major VR devices would say exactly what that person said, and if they didn't that's where I'd be looking at pre existing bias issues.

The Vive is a generation ahead of the launch version of the Rift and that's really just a fact.
It offers things I'm never going to be able to experience. Why pay $200 extra for room scale tracking when I don't have the space for it? I'll stick with my rift pre order.

Quidam

Is there a good article somewhere covering the various upcoming consumer VR offerings and their pros/cons? Also, how close are we to there actually being lots of fun games for consumers to play on these systems?

MDSLKTR

That's not bad at all. I will start saving now and see what's the library like for the OR and this by the end of the year. Already have the gear vr and money ready towards the psvr preorder.

Ha. I went to post, then had to check it wasn't a joke thread. How is it $200 better than the Rift?

You get a camera, a room tracking solution and "motion"-controllers.

I actually dont understand why people say its expensive, when most people in my generation spend 600-700€ every 2 years for a new iPhone/Samsung Galaxy etc.

doop_

Banned
What do people expect? 100 million units sold in the first year? High end vr kits for 199$? When did that ever happen with new technology? People on GAF are delusional sometimes. On the tech forums I visit nobody expected anything else or is surprised ...
I think we all know very well it wouldn't be cheap but couldn't they have waited a year or two for the cost of some of these technologies to drop. HTC are going through tough times from what I can gather, did they think this would help them ?

Definitely going to be around 999$ CAD. Way too much.

The conversion rate alone puts the Vive at $1100 CAD. That doesn't include shipping or customs/taxes, if any. Based on what Oculus was charging for shipping the Rift, $1200 is not out of the question.

In other words, you WISH it was $999 CAD. (So do I, of course.)

Dont forget guys.

Portal VR, L4D3 and that other game are all looming in with real VR support, and those are just from Valve.

Just imagine a real VR patch for CS:GO.

longdi

Banned
Will there be VR interactive videos about exotic locations around us? I could enjoy those safely in my room.

VR games just don't look appealing to spend that kind of dough.

I think we all know very well it wouldn't be cheap but couldn't they have waited a year or two for the cost of some of these technologies to drop. HTC are going through tough times from what I can gather, did they think this would help them ?

They're banking hard that this will help them, yes. They've go nothing else left basically.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I was just about to say that. It's not like new iPhone's are 699€, right? :p

That's a completely different concept. New phones are priced high because they are almost a fashion item, so there is a premium that goes down after 6 months. This is a new technology that they should be pricing at cost or as close to cost as possible to maximize adoption. I certainly hope they aren't pricing it this high because of a premium they're attaching to it.

hodgy100

ITT people forget new tech is expensive.

It's pretty good value compared to the coccus considering it comes with 2 controllers and lighthouse which probably inflates the cost quite a bit. the sticker shock is real though. I'm going to have to really think about whether i want to get one that much.

artsi

Dont forget guys.

Portal VR, L4D3 and that other game are all looming in with real VR support, and those are just from Valve.

Just imagine a real VR patch for CS:GO.

And most likely none of those will be room tracked without gimping the experience. That's my biggest worry in paying premium for room tracking, which might not be even utilized in the flagship games.

TheFatOne

Fantastic for me was expecting 1000 dollars. Does anyone know how the preordering works on this one? Is it like the Oculus where you are charged once it ships or do you have to pay it immediately? Was waiting for both big VR sets to come out before deciding which one. 800$ means it's a no brainer for me. Oculus is going to be roughly the same price once they launch their controller, and since the Vive controller is being launched day one it's an easy decision for me. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Man

Here's a quality chart from a dev working on all VR solutions:
CYMiqvKWEAAVdH2.png

Note: It was made before shocking price announcements, last September.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EMcN..._Hardware_The_ConvenienceQuality_Spectrum.php

That's a completely different concept. New phones are priced high because they are almost a fashion item, so there is a premium that goes down after 6 months. This is a new technology that they should be pricing at cost or as close to cost as possible to maximize adoption. I certainly hope they aren't pricing it this high because of a premium they're attaching to it.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say but there are definitely reasons why the costs are so high (something about low persistence screens and all the other stuff that goes with it). Some people have discussed it before on VR threads -- I'm sure someone will chime in.

HTC is probably making a small profit, and I think Oculus nearly breaking even or something like that?

If these could be $300 they absolutely would be.

RibMan

Eight hundred dollars. Legitimately surprised. I assume they realized they were never going to beat Oculus so they're better off going for an extra small market of PC users. Still, unless Valve is making HL3 or L4D3 or Portal 3 as exclusives, the Vive will need a lot of luck to attract that extra small market of PC users. Furthermore, I wonder if developers will consider developing on the Vive. I can't think of a lot of reasons for devs to do a Rift, PSVR, and Vive version of their games -- especially if the high entry price for the Vive leads to a (very likely) small installbase.

aygomyownroad said:
I hope PSVR is a more reasonable price.
Partner has said she would pay for half if needed but £400 is my limit for it.

Vive will struggle for a while with that price

It would be a phenomenal plot twist if the PSVR came in at like £600. I think at this point, it's safe to say PSVR will be the most reasonably priced of the three.

Quicknock

Banned
I was just about to say that. It's not like new iPhone's are 699€, right? :p
Exactly what I was thinking. This is how much smartphones go for. It's surprisingly cheap, if anything.

Lots of overreacting in these VR threads. Can't be too surprised, though, if everyone's used to console prices and buys phones on contract.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I keep reading the words 'premium VR experience' like it means something. It's premium today, it won't be next year. This is probably not going to be a market where you plunk down a grand and stay current for years.

This is still first-gen tech. If VR takes off, and that's a big if, your 'premium 800$' headset will be iterated and improved upon very quickly when it's actually in the hands of the public.

Many first adopters know that going in and they don't care about that. But some people here expect this peripheral to be the end-all-be-all of VR. It will only be that for a very small window in time, and in two years we'll be looking back laughing about how primitive this thing is. For that reason, I think i'm pretty content with the notion of waiting how this market develops for a year so I can get in on the actually good second wave of headsets and hopefully some actual content to use them with.

Early adopters are going to make or break this entire market though, so I hope this thing sells beyond all expectations.

BibiMaghoo

The tech may sound incredible but that high 1st gen adoption price will kill things before it reaches 2nd gen (HTC poor financials).

Besides most VR showcase are still video-games..the ones we have been playing for years just fine on 2D space. They don't even have an AAA game to look out for, just something to 'show-off' VR, I am expecting similar things to those 3D effects you see in a 3D movie that scream to you Look it's 3D!

I was an early adopter of 3D, and have spend time with VR. They are a world apart, and not in a casual way, but an obviously measurable way. It is nothing like looking at a 2D image, or even a 3D image, the level of depth given to your brain is really unique. Anyone that has used VR will tell you the same thing. It is hard to understand if you have not.

And most likely none of those will be room tracked without gimping the experience. That's my biggest worry in paying premium for room tracking, which might not be even utilized in the flagship games.

It depends. That Spy game for Vive uses the room-tracking quite nice. You can "teleport" to new spaces and walk from there again.

artsi

We can't need to use the motion controllers, right?

Vive exclusives are most likely to be motion controlled, so if you want only good gamepad games Oculus Rift might be the better choice cost wise, as it comes with the XBONE controller.

It depends. That Spy game for Vive uses the room-tracking quite nice. You can "teleport" to new spaces and walk from there again.

Yeah but I think those games specifically will be something that can be played traditionally in addition to VR (I can't think L4D3 as VR exclusive), and room scale sized areas would feel gimped to those players.

About what I expected, and it seems fair given that it comes packaged with the motion controller and base stations. I'll be keeping my Oculus pre-order though, I don't have the space for room-scale VR so I doubt I'd get an addition $200 worth of value out of the Vive so I'm deciding purely on what the best HMD is.

Sony right now:

WEILWtQ.gif

All Sony have to do is price it between 299-399 and they win.

Sony now know the price of their two competitors. Even 100 dollars lower than the occulus and Sony will still win
kaz-hirai-747x309.jpg

With that said: I think this is a better price than the Oculus Rift considering what you get. Will pre-order but the sticker-shock will keep this niche.

ITT: People who think Sony will somehow release a VR experience that will be cheaper but still comparable to the Rift or Vive. You will pay less, but you'll also get less.

jusufin

VR is not VR. PSVR is only remotely comparable to Oculus or Vive. PSVR is a low end solution, like Samsung Gear, but more expensive and with a worse resolution (depends on your mobile but should be noticeable higher than PSVR).

Nonetheless PSVR should give a glimpse of VR. But hopefully it does not scare away potential VR users who are not aware that there are better solutions out there.

psvr is a medium tier option that is vastly better than gear vr and has been compared to Vive and Oculus favorably by developers and people who have tried all 3. The gear beats vive and the rift in terms of resolution btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom