• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaz-hirai-747x309.jpg

With that said: I think this is a better price than the Oculus Rift considering what you get. Will pre-order but the sticker-shock will keep this niche.

CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO 17 mins17 minutes ago

The HTC Vive is $799. It comes with Job Simulator, so you can practice for the second job you’ll need to pay off your $799 credit card bill

Heh.

UrbanRats

Do you though? Oculus Touch might be cheap. Don't forget that you can take off the price of the Xbox One controller too.
It's possible, but I don't see it being that much less, especially since they are including a 2nd camera.
The xbone controller is sort of useless either way for most.
I have 360 controllers up the ass, as I'm sure most pcgamers do.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So for $200 more (compared to Oculus) you get:

+ 3D controllers (this is *huge*)
+ Pass-through camera & chaperone system (*big*)
+ Room scale tracking (*big*)
-----------------------------------------------------
- Slightly less impressive Audio offering
- Oculus has slightly more exclusives

Both comes included with free games.

Yeah, no, you're not biased at all.

Tankard

Well, after the Oculus price i guess this one was expected.

My hope is PSVR with up to 350 bucks, which is the most i'm willing to spend on VR as an early adopter, other than that i will just have to wait.

PSVR was never going to compete with Rift/Vive anyways outside of a small percentage of people who own both a powerful PC and a PS4. Sony never had much to fear from PC VR systems.

JP

Wow, was expecting it to be more expensive than the others but not that much. Probably not what you want to do when you're dealing with such a small potential market.

artsi

So for $200 more (compared to Oculus) you get:

+ 3D controllers (this is *huge*)
+ Pass-through camera & chaperone system (*big*)
+ Room scale tracking (*big*)
-----------------------------------------------------
- Slightly less impressive Audio offering
- Oculus has slightly more exclusives

Both comes included with free games.

LOL nice bias.

Oculus is going all in on the audio side, while on Vive it seems like an afterthought.
Also better ergonomics on the Rift, and we don't know about the lenses / displays yet.

And we don't know how good or expensive (or cheap?) Touch will be.

It's possible, but I don't see it being that much less, especially since they are including a 2nd camera.
The xbone controller is sort of useless either way for most.
I have 360 controllers up the ass, as I'm sure most pcgamers do.
That's what I mean. I'm not fond of the controller so if I was buying Oculus I'd probably sell it on.

Paz

Yeah, no, you're not biased at all.

Anybody who has used a recent version of all the major VR devices would say exactly what that person said, and if they didn't that's where I'd be looking at pre existing bias issues.

The Vive is a generation ahead of the launch version of the Rift and that's really just a fact.

spannicus

I'm actually serious! I make a good living and have a pc that can drive this. $799 with the room trackers and the controllers is nowhere near as offensive to me as the $599 rift.
Hehe im with you, just having a lil fun. Have the rift already pre-ordered. Gonna hold off for a few on the Vive though. Will eventually get it because i cant help myself when it comes to new tech. Gotta get a motorcycle first.

cheezcake

$849 was my guess, so close.

Happy that there's an enthusiast product out there that will help push room scale VR desirability, I'll be sticking with the Rift for now though, I don't really see myself even considering PSVR unless there are some insanely desirable titles announced for it.

Akai__

With prices like this. How many units do they need to sell to break even with production costs? Are these numbers out there?

I'm interested to hear that and I wish them the best to make profit, because the Vive was the best experience I had with VR out of the 3 I tested.

RSP

Just got our HTC Vive in on Friday. The entire thing was very close to production quality, with the exception of the packaging (which was fine btw, just had a lot of unused space). Controllers and Lighthouse units looked ready for mass production, and felt really great. Very nice weight and easy to handle.

The one thing I noticed is that the headset still has three (or four?) separate wires coming out of it.

LOL nice bias.

Oculus is going all in on the audio side, while on Vive it seems like an afterthought.
Also better ergonomics on the Rift, and we don't know about the lenses / displays yet.

And we don't know how good or expensive (or cheap?) Touch will be.

Its also vive versa, people attacking him for his opinion (whether its big or not). The facts he posted still stand...

yeah sure, this rumor article shows the newest vive iteration,with the camera in it, but is that what's really being sold at $799?

and is there a url to preorder yet?

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
I think its actually a really reasonable price for what comes with it, i mean i cant afford it, but its a fair price for the people interested in it

artsi

Doubt it will be 800 euro. $800 converted is 718 euro, then you need 20% tax which makes it 861. I think it will be 900 euro delivered to 950 euro delivered.

And tax can be as high as 25% depending on the country, Oculus is shipping from Ireland where it is 23% which causes the higher price.

Anybody who has used a recent version of all the major VR devices would say exactly what that person said, and if they didn't that's where I'd be looking at pre existing bias issues.

The Vive is a generation ahead of the launch version of the Rift and that's really just a fact.

You may want to look up "fact" in the dictionary. Especially since your first sentence is clearly faulty based on feedback from people who've actually tried the devices. Opinions are split even there, with some preferring Rift and some preferring Vive. All of them agree that the differences are incredibly minor.

Try being honest when you share your opinion in the future instead of claiming that you're presenting the One True Gospel. You'll find more people will respect it then.

Doubt it will be 800 euro. $800 converted is 718 euro, then you need 20% tax which makes it 861. I think it will be 900 euro delivered to 950 euro delivered.
These are shipping from Ireland apparently so postage shouldn't be that ridiculous.
And tax can be as high as 25% depending on the country, Oculus is shipping from Ireland where it is 23% which causes the higher price.
You pay the tax in the region you live in I thought.

Its also vive versa, people attacking him for his opinion (whether its big or not). The facts he posted still stand...

People are calling him out, not on the facts he presents, but in how he weighs those facts. That's mixing opinion and fact in a way that is detrimental to actual discussion.

TimFL

I'm actually serious! I make a good living and have a pc that can drive this. $799 with the room trackers and the controllers is nowhere near as offensive to me as the $599 rift.

This.

I don't get how people are offended at the price. I dropped 5k€ in the latter half of 2015 alone on PC/Laptop stuff to get up to speed. If you can't afford the $799 then you probably don't even have the rig to run said headset properly. You are obviously not the target audience (target audience: people that want and can afford premium VR experiences).
The Vive $799 are peanuts if you look at what you get for said price (2 controllers, top notch room scale tracking etc.).
The Rift, on the other hand, is pretty offensive because it is nowhere near the room scale experience that the Vive offers (and it comes without controllers etc, no I don't count the Xbox controller as a proper VR controller).

Only real issue I have is finding a good room to set this all up in. I live in the top floor penthouse and my home office can't be re-decorated just to fit room scale tracking (heavy office table etc). I guess I'll have to use it seated most of the time?

People are calling him out, not on the facts he presents, but in how he weighs those facts. That's mixing opinion and fact in a way that is detrimental to actual discussion.

To him its big. The facts still stand, that the Oculus doesnt have 3d controllers, a pass-through camera and room scale tracking (yet)...

cheezcake

Uhh, from all accounts I've read (and I've read a lot) the headsets themselves seem extremely similar to the point there's no real discernible winner. Packing in the controllers is very nice, but Oculus has a competitor in the pipeline for the near future and impressions rate both trackers similar in quality also. Vive absolutely has the edge in tracking technology, its system is just better, but it's certainly not a generational leap.

LOL, do they actually think this thing will sell ?

It'll sell, and it'll sell pretty well among the hardcore enthusiast segment, just like the Rift. None of the headsets are going to find their way into the average person's home for a while, and that's part of the plan.

To him its big. The facts still stand, that the Oculus doesnt have 3d controllers, a pass-through camera and room scale tracking (yet)...

Yes, but as I said, that's not what we're calling him out for. You're defending something that isn't being attacked here.

longdi

Banned
Dont worry. There will be seated VR experience. You can still use it while sitting on a chair

Vive should sell one seated set for 399, at least that is impulse buy territory for adult gamers..

Try it then come back to this post. You will understand better I think. It is not a normal experience. I think the prices are murderous, but the tech is really incredible.

The tech may sound incredible but that high 1st gen adoption price will kill things before it reaches 2nd gen (HTC poor financials).

Besides most VR showcase are still video-games..the ones we have been playing for years just fine on 2D space. They don't even have an AAA game to look out for, just something to 'show-off' VR, I am expecting similar things to those 3D effects you see in a 3D movie that scream to you Look it's 3D!

Not justified then....

I feel VR is basically dead if not for Facebook backing OSVR...for now.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Serious question: why are these headsets so expensive to begin with? Aren't all the components already available on the market from the smart phone market etc? What components are actually new tech that was created for this that makes it so expensive?

Bl@de

LOL, do they actually think this thing will sell ?

What do people expect? 100 million units sold in the first year? High end vr kits for 199$? When did that ever happen with new technology? People on GAF are delusional sometimes. On the tech forums I visit nobody expected anything else or is surprised ...

Besides most VR showcase are still video-games..the ones we have been playing for years just fine on 2D space. They don't even have an AAA game to look out for, just something to 'show-off' VR,

I would say that Elite Dangerous (and Star Citizen) are big AAA VR games.

artsi

You pay the tax in the region you live in I thought.

EU country -> EU country shipping is tax and customs free, so tax is only paid when the product is hauled from US or Asia (manufacturer) to EU, and after that it's free to move.

If they import to Ireland (like Oculus) and sell from there, it's the 23% tax everyone in EU will pay.

Only if you order directly from US, you will pay your country's VAT yourself.

Serious question: why are these headsets so expensive to begin with? Aren't all the components already available on the market from the smart phone market etc? What components are actually new tech that was created for this that makes it so expensive?

High res screens, shit like eye tracking/head tracking, massive R&D costs, etc

doop_

Banned
It'll sell, and it'll sell pretty well among the hardcore enthusiast segment, just like the Rift. None of the headsets are going to find their way into the average person's home for a while, and that's part of the plan.
Will it though, who would drop that much cash for this. Are you buying one ?

look up phone prices without contract

New promo image is pretty sweet:

This is still the Vive Pre btw. So basically that's going to be the CV1, only with added headphones, thus HTC were BSing again when they said it's going to see changes, just like how they did with the "significant breakthrough".

Paz

Uhh, from all accounts I've read (and I've read a lot) the headsets themselves seem extremely similar to the point there's no real discernible winner. Packing in the controllers is very nice, but Oculus has a competitor in the pipeline for the near future and impressions rate both trackers similar in quality also. Vive absolutely has the edge in tracking technology, its system is just better, but it's certainly not a generational leap.

I never said anything about headset unit, which is only a part of the overall VR experience. The launch Rift doesn't come with the Oculus Touch controllers.

Launch version of Vive is definitely a generation ahead of launch Oculus, full scale room tracking and a 100% attach rate for real VR controllers is a completely different ballpark to headset + xbox controller.

The Oculus Touch pads are great and I love using them, I've always maintained that it's stupid for Oculus to try and launch without them as they will end up too close to the Vive in price but lacking too many features to be worth it.

Edit - I used the 'recent' versions of all the devices inc PSVR as of December for whatever that's worth.

Will it though, who would drop that much cash for this. Are you buying one ?

I'm buying a Rift (got in on the first shipment), and in my country it'll be much more expensive than the base price due to taxes and shipping. I'm an enthusiast and can afford it. I'm the special kind of crazy that this first generation of VR is aimed at. There's plenty of us out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom