• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

This has no unique selling point whatsoever compared to other H&S, only a rape of Zelda's trademark. Nothing more. Poor decision of Nintendo if you ask me, a poor attempt to temporarily shut the mouths of people begging for a more mature Zelda

I don´t want to live on this planet anymore.gif

Gartooth

The work that Team Ninja did on Other M was really great stuff. Other M's problems were actually from the Nintendo side, Sakamoto. Team Ninja made great gameplay despite the directions they were told by him

It was Team Ninja not Tecmo Koei as a whole. Even then they get way too much blame for Other M. Much of the game's shortcomings are pretty much on Sakamoto.

That game was so completely unremarkable in every sense of the word that I wouldn't be able to point to anything and call it great except maybe some of the CG cutscenes. The action that Team Ninja was supposed to bring was lightweight and entirely boring with a broken control scheme and dodge mechanic. We can pin that on Sakamoto too who deserves just as much blame if not more, but at the end of the day I'm completely unsympathetic to Team Ninja. Even if we forgive them for Other M it should be apparent that they are not a top developer capable of delivering on Metroid after releasing the likes of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Toxi

Banned
I'm still surprised this exists.

Ah well, at least I can breathe a sigh of relief that they didn't slap the Metroid name on this instead. This can be Zelda's Hunters.

in 2003 and 2004 nintendo released back-to-back f-zero games that were tie-ins with a licensed f-zero anime

I'm still surprised this exists.

Ah well, at least I can breathe a sigh of relief that they didn't slap the Metroid name on this instead. This can be Zelda's Hunters.

also yes, nintendo released a metroid arena shooter for a handheld

Silky

Banned
But people actually care about Zelda outside of Japan.

if you think Gundam doesn't have popularity in the US you're fucking crazy

No shit it's a spin-off, I thought it was a prequel to OoT. Yet my question remains: who the fuck is excited for this? There obviously has to be some kind of interest for this with a considerably large group of Zelda fans to even consider this idea.

This has no unique selling point whatsoever compared to other H&S, only a rape of Zelda's trademark. Nothing more. Poor decision of Nintendo if you ask me, a poor attempt to temporarily shut the mouths of people begging for a more mature Zelda (note: not graphics wise, but a deeper story).

Musou is huge in Japan.
How are you getting anything out of this game's story from a fucking alpha/work in progress video.
I'm excited for this game, as well as other Musou and Zelda fans.
Calm down.

I would be too if it was actually being made by a developer known for making high quality action games with some depth. Not mindless hack and slash warriors series. Ugh.

Play the recent Gundam Musou and Pirate Musou titles, and then get back to me on depth.

Again, it could be worse; you could be getting another Team Ninja game

I genuinely think Musou is better than Zelda.

87p.gif

Aw shit, we gettin' real now.

Claneko

I'm not a big fan of Musou games, but this one has my interest, especially if they really add some Zelda flavor to it and some new ideas rather than just make it Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin on it.

Gonna be looking out for this one.

Terra

I thought people would be happier.

I don´t care at all for this game. Does not appeal to me at all. This new Zelda game seems to be total shit, but that is MY OPINION. And mostly because hack & slash games are like dust to me.

I sensed there was some optimism earlier on in the thread. And I was also happy for the Wii U-owners that seemed to like this game.

But as this thread progressed, it got negative. Like all Wii U threads tends to do.

No shit it's a spin-off, I thought it was a prequel to OoT. Yet my question remains: who the fuck is excited for this? There obviously has to be some kind of interest for this with a considerably large group of Zelda fans to even consider this idea.

This has no unique selling point whatsoever compared to other H&S, only a rape of Zelda's trademark. Nothing more. Poor decision of Nintendo if you ask me, a poor attempt to temporarily shut the mouths of people begging for a more mature Zelda (note: not graphics wise, but a deeper story).
Looking at this thread, a good number of people are excited for this. There is a dedicated audience for these kinds of games in both the West and Japan. You getting upset that this doesn't feature the traditional Zelda dungeon crawling and exploration aspects makes no sense. Its not meant to replace that. Otherwise we'd have a mainline Zelda made by Omega Force...and nobody wants that. And how is this gravitating to people who want a mature Zelda?....its a Musou game! They are over the top, unrealistic and silly as games get.

And dude......rape? Really? C'mon son...its videogames.

Barakov

Sounds cool. I'll be there for this. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that this didn't happened sooner. I guess the time was right for it.

Jarate

Banned
Pretty sure he's talking about Dynasty Warriors (and all it's spin-offs, like this), not Zelda.

wow, I never would've guessed!

I was being saracstic, people who say Dynasty Warriors is repetitive are the same people that love Pokemon. The games have a shit ton of depth to them, people just say they are repetitive because they played easy mode DW3 with their friends.

CamHostage

Tecmo Koei shouldn't be allowed anywhere near beloved Nintendo IP after fucking Other M.

To be fair, this isn't them making a "real" Zelda game like Team Ninja's Metroid was, this is just another in a huge list of successful Dynasty Warriors spin-offs.

Also, the previous game that Nintendo and Tecmo Koei crossed up was Pokemon and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and as crazy as that sounded, Pokemon Conquest was a hit.

I agree that I'm very, very wary of anybody but Nintendo making Nintendo franchises when approaching core games, but spin-offs, I'm less particular. There have been a lot of pinball and sports and party and other games that have used these characters well. And Tecmo Koei is a good partner so far, so long as they're not given the keys to the main house. (The Tekken bonus content was also a nice addition too, btw... makes me wish that Rygar was still a valid franchise and could be in Smash Bros.)

So if this partnership means we'll some day see Kirby's Deception or EarthBoundjack or Xtreme Golden Sun Beach Volleyball, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Are people actually excited for this?? Yeah, if you look at just the combat it looks sweet. Pretty epic moves, hopefully Zelda U has a similar combat (but I expect not). But what is the core of TLoZ? Fuckin' dungeon crawling and exploration, that's what. And this... how long will those "cool epic" moves last until its magic wears out? 30 minutes? Fuck this shit. I'd rather play that Tingle game I completely forgot prior to writing this reply.

You're asking for the alleged core of a franchise in a spin-off.

Silky

Banned
I was being saracstic, people who say Dynasty Warriors is repetitive are the same people that love Pokemon. The games have a shit ton of depth to them, people just say they are repetitive because they played easy mode DW3 with their friends.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Musou groaners has only played DW2 or read DW reviews instead of playing the games for themselves.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think this is the best design for Link... ever.

Valnen

I think this is the best design for Link... ever.

I agree, another reason I'm so upset. Such a fantastic link design wasted on a shit tier developer.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Musou groaners has only played DW2 or read DW reviews instead of playing the games for themselves.

People generally don't like wasting money on a series that's failed to improve for so long. I played a bunch of the games in the PS2 era and none of them were worth anything.

Bebpo

Banned
This is going to sell a lot in the west. Probably highest selling musou.

but hmmm, how many playable characters can you fit? There's Zelda, link, ganon, tingle...?

3bdelilah

Banned
Why can't the combat be enough to excite people? I don't care about the dungeon crawling or exploration aspects that are part of the core Zelda experience. I don't care about the core Zelda experience at all. They could replace the Zelda theme with Halo for all I care, Spartans running around slashing Grunts up with plasma swords. It would be dumb as hell, but as long as it played like a Musou title, I would want it.

These games generally sell fairly well in japan.

One Piece Pirate Warriors sold over 1 Million Copies and that game was ass compared to other Musou games

So maybe the people that like these games are excited for them

I'm excited for it. But as more of a Musou fan than anything.

Plus Musou fans will most likely be intersted as well.

And that's exactly my point. To me, and certainly others too, this looks much more as an attempt to make TLoZ more accessible to others. Not that that's a bad thing, hell, the more the merrier. But it becomes a problem in my eyes if they ignore a large group of (almost) lifelong fans what they've been longing for.

And yes, I know it's not being developed by Nintendo and that Zelda U isn't being delayed by this whatsoever. But it's about principles in my book.

CorvoSol

LOL at people thinking Zelda is too big an IP for Koei to deal with. Let me know when Zelda gets a monument that rivals this.

MbPBu6M.jpg

Seriously, Gundam does Musou and while Gundam might be chump in the gaming world it's super big in Japan and probably way bigger than Zelda.

KmA

I wish the Zelda franchise was treated just as well as the Persona games. Although the Persona games get put into different genres but at least they are, you know, good.

Jarate

Banned
And that's exactly my point. To me, and certainly others too, this looks much more as an attempt to make TLoZ more accessible to others. Not that that's a bad thing, hell, the more the merrier. But it becomes a problem in my eyes if they ignore a large group of (almost) lifelong fans what they've been longing for.

And yes, I know it's not being developed by Nintendo and that Zelda U isn't being delayed by this whatsoever. But it's about principles in my book.

How are they ignoring lifelong fans?

Maybe there is a crossover of Zelda fans and Musou fans?

forrest

formerly nacire
I hope they aren't scrapping Wii U Zelda and dumping the assets into this instead. :( I've never played a Dynasty Warriors so I'll reserve my judgement, but I'm not particularly excited by this announcement.

Top Bottom