• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Has it been confirmed that Omega Force (The people who make the good musou games for Koei) is developing this?

3bdelilah

Banned
maybe because nintendo, I don't know, wants to make money

i know it's crazy to understand this, but hey, here's a little tidbit of information

Corporations try to make money
They could make a hell of lot more money if they'd publish their games on Xbox and PlayStation too. What's your point?

I think that means you do understand the reason.

Sure, I understand the reason. But that doesn't necessary mean it makes sense to me. Maybe I'm overreacting, I'll see when it comes out so and then I can judge it appropriately.

Silky

Banned
Considering they had plenty of chances to prove themselves as a developer and failed during the PS2 era, my skepticism isn't exactly unwarranted.

You are now two generations behind in terms of Musou, your skepticism is really meaningless this point in the genre. This is like calling (DEVELOPER HERE) a garbage team because you're basing their work from their older catalogue and hoping it applies today

Has it been confirmed that Omega Force (The people who make the good musou games for Koei) is developing this?

Pretty sure Omega Force is literally the only Musou dev team at this point. Which is a good thing because, you know, they're great developers.

I ain't mad, I mean just like I said before, as long as Zelda U and all other canon Zelda aren't going to be affected by this (which is the case), I couldn't care less. It's just it doesn't make much sense to me yet, besides the fact that the Dynasty games are obviously very popular in Japan. But is that reason enough?

Do we know this isn't a canon-Zelda game though? I mean, this is being developed by a third party - but then again, so were the Oracles, Minish Cap, and Four Swords...

And gameplay-wise its different from other canon-Zelda games... But Zelda II and the Four Swords games were pretty different too...

Jarate

Banned
They could make a hell of lot more money if they'd publish their games on Xbox and PlayStation too. What's your point?

actually, putting their games on other platforms would make it so no one would buy their own hardware. So they would most likely lose money by putting their games on other consoles

Jawmuncher

Shall buy,
I actually am liking Nintendo handing out their IPs to other JPN devs.
Just more shake ups like this is what I like to see.

Silky

Banned
Was the Gundam Musou game any good though?

I don't think IP size matters when the games are still the same junk that Koei has made for over a decade.
I don't see how the Zelda IP suddenly changes this.

Gundam Musou is a really fucking good.
Pirate Musou 2 is also really fucking good.
There's also DW 7, 8, Orochi 3, and now Toukiden.

HyperHip

Do we know this isn't a canon-Zelda game though? I mean, this is being developed by a third party - but then again, so were the Oracles, Minish Cap, and Four Swords...

And gameplay-wise its different from other canon-Zelda games... But Zelda II and the Four Swords games were pretty different too...

I'm willing to bet that while this game isn't "mainline" it will still fit into the Zelda canon.

Trike

I have only played the Dynasty Warriors Gundam, but I think this has potential. It looks like you actually can get new items during game play instead of just mashing combos, though that could just be wishful thinking. The Pink looks like the one from the prequel comic to skyward sword. It could also be a sequel though.

I think people are getting upset for no reason. The game could be good, or more of the same. Either way it is clearly going to be a fan service game. There can be characters from all across the Zelda series. I can't see them sticking to just SS characters, it wouldn't be good then.

IronLich

I don't know how to feel, but I want it. Feels like new territory, and it will probably just have Link, but I wanna see how this turns out.

zeldablue

Didn't they put a Link skin into Monster Hunters? And now this...

I think Nintendo's finally putting a lot of effort into getting people in Japan to accept the Zelda franchise. It may take a bit of "whoring out" but it might actually help them in the long run.

Not sure if that means Zelda U will attempt will feel more...Japanese or not.

Since we're all so concerned about the sanctity of the Zelda franchise. I'm going to wager that Koei/Nintendo are going to develop a cast of characters exclusive to this game.

Link, Zelda, & Ganondorf are constants so they're guaranteed to be in. I figure the rest of the cast will be original characters based off of existing races in the Zelda universe. There would be less characters than in the average Musou title, but they'd be more developed and customizable(if Link's abilities in the trailer are any indication).

plank

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but I noticed the scarf on that Links and the monsters associated with Skyward Sword. Could it be that this game is based off of that Skyward Sword manga?

jooso

Looks bad
Sounds awesome
Probably fun to play

I'm in! Hopefully they improve the graphics a bit before release, looked kinda rough.

Sciz

Did Zelda fans work themselves into this much of a frenzy over Link being in Soul Calibur 2, or did they recognize that as being a cool little thing Nintendo thought they might like

Beth Cyra

I got to disagree with Gundam Muso being good. GM 1 still has easily the best Original Mode in the series, but the gameplay is very basic and almost bad.

However they have made HUGE strides since then and they have gotten better with each release to the point GM3 is a legit fun and good game.

Sadly the Original Modes still can't touch GM1.

If its anything like any other Musou game story, it will fall into this timeline
Zelda_timeline21-e1362294917919.jpg

CSX

Wow gameplay wise it already looks better than regular DW lol...

I think I remember a few people mentioning this game in one of those "Dream franchise crossover wishlist" threads :p

Valnen

Pokemon is a repetitive game series that has been rehashed tons of times

but everyone loves pokemon!

Well, Pokemon actually had good gameplay from the start, Musou games didn't. If your claims of them massively improving since then are true, that's great and all but people still aren't gonna trust them.

Exr

As someone who loves Dynasty Warriors but hasn't been interested in Zelda since Links Awakening this sounds amazing and I will definetly try it to pummel fools as Ganondorf.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sure, I understand the reason. But that doesn't necessary mean it makes sense to me. Maybe I'm overreacting, I'll see when it comes out so and then I can judge it appropriately.

A company wanting to put out compelling games on their struggling platform, combines their most favorite sword-wielding hero with one of the most popular hacknslash genres in gaming doesn't make sense to you? As you can see a lot of people in this thread already got ridiculous amounts of hype for this. Of course, when it comes out, it will be judged on it's merits, sure, but it sounds like a fun game.

Besides, the canon that you hold dear to your heart isn't affected anyway, so don't fret.

Did Zelda fans work themselves into this much of a frenzy over Link being in Soul Calibur 2, or did they recognize that as being a cool little thing Nintendo thought they might like

I remember Link getting people into SC2 and SC2 then getting them into other fighting games, that's about it.

The best part about Link in SC2 was the arranged theme though.

Vire

Why....?

I don't get why they would associate one of the best brands in all of video games with mindless trash like Dynasty Warriors.

Nintendo must be really desperate.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Good-to-a-musou-fan good or actually good?

I haven't got a clue. These games are always ridiculed to no end by western audiences for being apparently hilariously terrible. Doubt that would happen if they were actually great games to the majority of gamers.

Of course, you as a musou fan shouldn't give a fuck about the preference of the majority. It must be like all your birthdays have come at once today if you really love Zelda and love DW.

Silky

Banned
Well, Pokemon actually had good gameplay from the start, Musou games didn't. If your claims of them massively improving since then are true, that's great and all but people still aren't gonna trust them.

why

Why....?

I don't get why they would associate one of the best brands in all of video games with mindless trash like Dynasty Warriors.

Nintendo must be really desperate.

sigh

I haven't got a clue. These games are always ridiculed to no end by western audiences for being apparently hilariously terrible. Doubt that would happen if they were actually great games to the majority of gamers.

Of course, you as a musou fan shouldn't give a fuck about the preference of the majority. It must be like all your birthdays have come at once today if you really love Zelda and love DW.

Actually good.

The reason Warriors is ridiculed by the western audience is usually because most "journalists" label the series as "more of the same", thus for some odd fucking reason they're classified as bad games due to it's supposed 'monotony' or whatever bullshit buzzword is used. since the series' inception the it's been gradually improving, and even today with soemthing as fucking great as DW8 being released it's still treated like shit by the western audience.

Yes. I'm excited for this game, because I believe that OF has the potential to make a really great Zelda title, let alone a fucking stellar musou title.

Play the series for yourself. Check out Orochi 3, play GM3, or Pirate Musou 2; it's more than what it's last-last- gen counterparts would lead some people to believe.

PBY

Banned

Across the board bad reviews and western apathy towards the games seems to at the very least demonstrate that the title has niche appeal. Its not to say the games are "bad," because thats so subjective, but rather, that they are enjoyed by a minority.

I keep thinking about this. I want this game to be this basically. It totally fits theme-wise. Lots and lots of enemies? Let us have a character that dies at the end or something.

Some the description is interesting. No warrior could lift the master sword, and most of the knights were lost.

I could see a scenario where the knights (including a master sword unencumbered Link) beat Ganon into the Dark World, and then fight him until the sages seal the knights, Link, and Ganon in.

I don't get how people think this looks good... -_- /shrug

(coming from a Wii U owner and huge Zelda fan) Not hyped at all for this...hopefully it proves me wrong.

Jackano

I kind of hope this sells better than the comparable 'real' Zeldas. Nintendo needs a wake-up.
Link's Crossbow Training ended at 4.7M.

So I havn't reacted in the ND thread so here is my point, even if I don't have time to go through the whole thread yet:
Why not. LCT proved it can be good for the franchise. In the recent past months I've seen several people claiming to have fall into Zelda by starting with LCT, which to me was a good fat mini-game who extended TP's world. Regarding this, and the fact I don't think someone will point out some concrete fact about LCT having a negative impact on the franchise, I declare it positive :)
It's not like it's Hyrule Warriors instead of Zelda U, it can be a cool snack when waiting for the true Zelda U from Aonuma's team.
So for the moment, I enjoy the news, and support this, hopping it does end to be quiet a nice game.

On one another plan, it's not Mario or Pokemon level exploitation of the franchise. The important things are to not denature the characters, stay faithful to the franchise, and keep the overwhole quality of the IP. Do this and I'm ok with that kind of game once per generation.

Finally, collabs with other developers are cool, like announced by Iwata last year with FExSMT, however in one year gap, this HW announcement just made me realize that after Iwata's claim about not moneyhating publishers for exclusivities, the situation is pretty pathetic. OK Sat' you don't pay for exclusives games but in the other hand you give the impression you have to pay a collab project AND prostitute your IPs to have one single Tecmo Koei game on Wii U. If that's how low 3rd party relationships have fallen, especially after Wii's shovelwares, it's a new record.

Nerokis

No shit it's a spin-off, I thought it was a prequel to OoT. Yet my question remains: who the fuck is excited for this? There obviously has to be some kind of interest for this with a considerably large group of Zelda fans to even consider this idea.

This has no unique selling point whatsoever compared to other H&S, only a rape of Zelda's trademark. Nothing more. Poor decision of Nintendo if you ask me, a poor attempt to temporarily shut the mouths of people begging for a more mature Zelda (note: not graphics wise, but a deeper story).

People who are fans of the Zelda franchise, and are excited to see various Zelda motifs (characters, swordplay, items, etc.) thrown into the Dynasty Warriors formula? People who are interested in seeing how the familiar Link moves, Zelda items, etc. translate over to hack and slash, mass scale combat? People who think it'd be neat to use a variety of characters who are typically NPCs or scattered across various games? Perhaps people who are fans of both Dynasty Warriors and Zelda?

On another note, I also don't see the point of invoking Other M here. Tecmo Koei has more than one team, and I'm assuming the one making this is Omega Force. It also seems Aonuma is producing. The teams are different, the situations are different - Other M is more or less an irrelevant example when it comes to what we can/should expect.

All that said, I got mixed impressions from the trailer. I want to see more enemy variety, along with better examples of enemy AI. But certainly, the idea has potential. I really, really hope this turns out well, because this could be so much fun. Please be good!

Silky

Banned
Same reason people no longer trust Square Enix.

and yet square's been able to consistently release great titles this gen? excluding FFXIII? Deus Ex? Sleeping Dogs? Just Cause? Tomb Raider? XIV:ARR? TWEWY? none of these games are valid to you? lol

that's not a good answer.

Top Bottom