• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Is there a possible way for me to only have select games from my Steam Library be on a different hard drive? For instance, All my games are on my main HDD, but what if I wanted to move my PUBG over to my SSD, for example
Yes.

Go into your Steam options/settings. You can create a secondary install folder for a different drive.

You can also move preinstalled games across, and select which drive to install to on new downloads.

Is there a possible way for me to only have select games from my Steam Library be on a different hard drive? For instance, All my games are on my main HDD, but what if I wanted to move my PUBG over to my SSD, for example
First go to Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Library Folders and make a new folder on the hard drive you want to use. Then go to your library, right click the game and select properties. Go to local files and select move install folder.

legacyzero

Banned
Yes.

Go into your Steam options/settings. You can create a secondary install folder for a different drive.

You can also move preinstalled games across, and select which drive to install to on new downloads.

First go to Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Library Folders and make a new folder on the hard drive you want to use. Then go to your library, right click the game and select properties. Go to local files and select move install folder.
Thanks for this! Super helpful

clem84

Gold Member
I'm looking into building a PC for video editing, that's it. I don't game on my PC. My understanding was that the most important aspect of my PC for video editing was to have a high frequency multi core CPU and a decent amount of RAM and that I would only need a common video card, those that are usually dirt cheap like 50$ or less. I read somewhere that apparently that's not the case.

Does having a top of line gfx card really help with video editing? How exactly does that work? Are the video editing software designed to take advantage of the processors on modern GPUs?

Alastor3

From the neogaf pc build on the OP, which PC can run The Witcher 3 at max with 60 fps? (i mean the cheapest of the list that can do that)

LilJoka

From the neogaf pc build on the OP, which PC can run The Witcher 3 at max with 60 fps? (i mean the cheapest of the list that can do that)

What resolution?
Also some max settings are heavily taxing and offer little to no visual improvement. Check then nvidia guide for settings comparisons.
A GTX 1060 should be close to max 1080p60.

Sepultura

Cross posting from the Coffee Lake thread..

Gaf, coming from i3-6100, is a used i5-6600k at $190 a good deal? Don't want to replace my Z170 motherboard just yet. Hoping the i5 will last atleast a couple of years for 60fps gaming. Pairing it up with GTX 1060 6GB.

How is the canadian $$$ ? I remember last year it was pretty poor and I decided to wait a bit to build my pc...
It still sucks and right now isnt a particularly good time tbh
My ram is $170-$180
My GPU (gtx1080ti) is $1200 including tax
And my CPU was like near $500 including tax

Of course you can buy lower end parts and it'll be cheaper, but we still pay quite a bit for our parts

Alastor3

My ram is $170-$180

Of course you can buy lower end parts and it'll be cheaper, but we still pay quite a bit for our parts

fuck... I will play the waiting game again...

i'll get myself an SSD to help my poor old computer that can barely run 2010 games.

Thanks

Jabronium

Maybe if I built machines more than once every 5 years they wouldn't take all day. Finally got ready to mount my cooler and realized I'd gotten careless and had been holding it in such a way that I'd wiped the pre-applied thermal paste off. So, off to Micro Center for a tube. Should at least be able to get up and running after that, although cable management is going to be a bit of an afterthought until my plasti-dip arrives so I can finish dipping the brackets and then tidy everything up.

Crappity crap crap, my case tracking is now TUESDAY.

Eff it, gonna go with my last resort option which was to gut my current PC and install there.

I sent Newegg an eMail asking for a refund for the shipping and the rush fee. Three day shipping does not mean seven day shipping, urgh.

So I forgot, I have an OEM for my computer. If I'm getting a new MoBo, do I need to buy another one, or can I reuse it?
Windows? Pretty sure you'll need a new one. Might be worth it to get a retail key so you can transfer it later on (which will carry to future Windows versions, even).

Hopefully gunna grab everything else but the GPU today and finish it up. Pretty cool getting to see this beast on my desk and know that it's mine and I made it. Though unfortunately Ryzen has no integrated GPU so i can't do much with it till I grab my GPU.

Also pretty bummed the Destiny 2 promo ended, especially considering the game isn't out for another month.

Vaux

Ive been slowly buying parts for a new build and so far i have the cpu motherboard ram psu and ssd. only thing thats left is the case and a 1080 gpu which im trying to save up for.

What sucks is that on my current pc my HD 7870 just gave up. Now im stuck with intel graphics, that you really cant play any games with. now i have to decide to either reach into my pc savings for a cheap gpu replacement or be bored to death.

Ive been slowly buying parts for a new build and so far i have the cpu motherboard ram psu and ssd. only thing thats left is the case and a 1080 gpu which im trying to save up for.

What sucks is that on my current pc my HD 7870 just gave up. Now im stuck with intel graphics, that you really cant play any games with. now i have to decide to either reach into my pc savings for a cheap gpu replacement or be bored to death.
You think you have it bad?
Imagine trying to game on a 2013 toshiba laptop.
Cant even run Hollow Knight :'(
at least not at a solid 30fps

You can buy a used GTX 950 or GTX 760 on Ebay for around $60. Either would be relatively similar to your HD 7870 performance-wise, I believe. Might be worth it to hold you over for a while, then when you get your 1080, just keep the 950/760 as a spare in case the 1080 dies down the road, or just re-sell the 950/760 for $20-$30 quickly to recoup some of the investment.

MikeBison

EVGA or Afterburner for OC'ing a 1080?

Seems like loads of the discussion is from when Pascal first launched and there was loads of uncertainty about 3.0.

Also, if I did use EVGA, go with the curve good enough? Or still recommend tweaking manually?

You think you have it bad?
Imagine trying to game on a 2013 toshiba laptop.
Cant even run Hollow Knight :'(
at least not at a solid 30fps

...yours armed with a GT 630M too?

Sad thing is, for the price my Dad paid for it, you still can't find much that's comparable. Affordable gaming laptops are anything but.

IT LIVES!

My pc is officially up and running!

I'd like to thank ISee for the build suggestion and answering a bunch of questions along with Soka and any others who were very helpful.

Super appreciated.

Now I just need to start optimizing.

First thing is, I'm not really sure I have Gsync working and I'm not sure how to do it. The first game I installed and tried was Hellblade. I'm able to run on max setting and get a pretty consistent 60fps (I do notice slight drops into the high 50s) at 3440x1440p.

But I need vsync on in the actual game or it seems to have a lot of tearing.

How do I set up Gsync correctly?

Here is my build for reference (went with a 500gig SSD and 2TB regular harddrive instead): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jskNN

Also, I'm definitely going to be overclocking this thing when I get a chance

EVGA or Afterburner for OC'ing a 1080?

Seems like loads of the discussion is from when Pascal first launched and there was loads of uncertainty about 3.0.

Also, if I did use EVGA, go with the curve good enough? Or still recommend tweaking manually?

I played with both for my 1080 Ti and found Afterburner to be way better. Honestly, I undervolted my 1080 Ti from 1.063V to 0.963V, dropped the max clock from 1963 to ~1935, and found every benchmark test is performing about 3% better after multiple tests. That's a fairly insignificant difference, but running it at a lower voltage and temperature for the same or slightly better performance has been great.

MikeBison

I played with both for my 1080 Ti and found Afterburner to be way better. Honestly, I undervolted my 1080 Ti from 1.063V to 0.963V, dropped the max clock from 1963 to ~1935, and found every benchmark test is performing about 3% better after multiple tests. That's a fairly insignificant difference, but running it at a lower voltage and temperature for the same or slightly better performance has been great.

So are any worries about Afterbuner reacting weirdly with the boost 3.0 stuff on Pascal just old concerns now, and just OC like any other card with Afterburner?

MikeBison

Aslo, having a look through Afterbuner last night. Set it to the old skin version, but whilst I can make out the temp, can't find the checkbox to 'prioritise temp'. Any ideas?

Mrbob

Ordered my case today and have all my parts selected except for my motherboard, cpu, and ram.

Fractal Design Define Meshify C Case
Noctua UH14S cpu cooler
EVGA G3 power supply
850 EVO 500GB SSD X 2
Windows 10 Home
GTX 1060 (keeping this until Volta is out next year)

I want to order an AMD 1700 now but I'm going to hold out to see 8700k results and determine what to do.

shira

My ram is $170-$180

Is it worth to buy parts cpu/gpu on a US vacation?

Last thing on my mind but Amazon same/one day is insane, or you could buy ahead and pick up in a locker

Is it worth to buy parts cpu/gpu on a US vacation?

Last thing on my mind but Amazon same/one day is insane, or you could buy ahead and pick up in a locker
Wouldn't you still have to pay duties for everything you bring back? I thought about it when picking a laptop but at that point i personally wouldn't consider it worth it considering how much that adds to the price. Im not really too experienced in these matters, but the exchange rate between USD and CAD is the problem which i don't think there's any way around. Even if you buy a $700usd GPU, that $700usd is still $800-$900cad+ duties

shira

Wouldn't you still have to pay duties for everything you bring back? I thought about it when picking a laptop but at that point i personally wouldn't consider it worth it considering how much that adds to the price. Im not really too experienced in these matters, but the exchange rate between USD and CAD is the problem which i don't think there's any way around. Even if you buy a $700usd GPU, that $700usd is still $800-$900cad+ duties
Never been asked for a laptop receipt.

But yeah I guess a mid range gpu or a Switch for a week visit might be worth.

How is the canadian $$$ ? I remember last year it was pretty poor and I decided to wait a bit to build my pc...
PC parts are always more more in Canada, regardless of the dollar. Just go with budget-mid range parts and shoot for 60fps if money is an issue. Mining is the main issue right now with buying a gaming PC since there is no GPU stock and prices are jacked, DRAM supply issues are fucking RAM prices as well. Ryzen 5 1400 + 16Gb RAM and a B350 motherboard is like 4-500 depending on deals and is plenty for 1080P+ and 60fps gaming.

Depending on what you have you can get ivy/Has well OEM PCs on Kijiji for 150-250 usually and throw a 1050 ti and SSDs in there.

Arex

Anyone fancy an X299 itx build XD
Asrock X299E ITX/AC
That price tag tho! But I wish Asrock had put more effort in their Ryzen itx board. Look at what they managed to cram in this X299 haha

13-157-786-V05.jpg

So are any worries about Afterbuner reacting weirdly with the boost 3.0 stuff on Pascal just old concerns now, and just OC like any other card with Afterburner?

To be honest, I am not sure. I monitor my temps/clock speed constantly while gaming, streaming, benchmarking, etc and haven't had any issues that I can see. To be fair, the only thing I did was undervolt. Overclocking may be an issue, but I can't say for sure since I never tried.

In other news: anyone wanna give me $2,500 so I can put together a new build in the ThermalTake Core P5? That case looks so fun to build in... It's on my "case to build in next time I do a complete rebuild" list.

To be honest, I am not sure. I monitor my temps/clock speed constantly while gaming, streaming, benchmarking, etc and haven't had any issues that I can see. To be fair, the only thing I did was undervolt. Overclocking may be an issue, but I can't say for sure since I never tried.

In other news: anyone wanna give me $2,500 so I can put together a new build in the ThermalTake Core P5? That case looks so fun to build in... It's on my "case to build in next time I do a complete rebuild" list.
Only if you buy me 3 more 4k monitors and another 1080ti

Flaxh

There's a guy selling a 1700 along with asrock x370 Taichi for 400€. Both components bought last June.

Should I take the deal? I was considering a 1600 with a b350 tomahawk for 310€.

ss_lemonade

So I might have the money now to get a new gpu. Was looking at a 1080ti for sometime now to replace my evga 780 sc acx. The local Frys has an evga SC black edition for $720. Is that a good model and price, or should I spend a little extra for the sc2 ($750)? I remember reading about bad thermal issues with some evga GPUs, were these part of the problem?

So I might have the money now to get a new gpu. Was looking at a 1080ti for sometime now to replace my evga 780 sc acx. The local Frys has an evga SC black edition for $720. Is that a good model and price, or should I spend a little extra for the sc2 ($750)? I remember reading about bad thermal issues with some evga GPUs, were these part of the problem?

My understanding is that thermal issues (specifically, VRM overheating) was only with the 1070 or maybe 1080. The 1080 Ti, which launched a bit later, doesn't have those same issues. The SC Black is great for the price; I have the same card (although I ripped it apart to water cool it, though that's really not necessary). The SC2's main difference is that the fans can spin at different speeds to cool different parts of the board as needed, but I really don't think it's necessary.

Top Bottom