• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I do quite a lot scenes/rendering in Daz Studio (and will probably start with 3D Studio Max), and x264/x265 video encoding.

I also want it to last me at least as long as my current rig.
I know that the coming 8700K probably would be a very good choice as well, but as I got the funds this time I build a new computer I wanna build a real beast as well.

In that case, make sure you post pictures of your build. :p What cooler are you going to use btw?

In that case, make sure you post pictures of your build. :p What cooler are you going to use btw?

I've picked these parts (This is from a Swedish site, since I'm Swedish) and the price ends up at about $6500.

CKUm2rj.png

ISee

I don't know why you're saying it's 100% fact. It may be true or it may not be. I'm sure PC Per and Tech Report will have something to say on it once they know.

? I even posted a very reputable source + evidence. But okay... It's not true as long Tech Report doesn't write about it. :rolleyes:

ISee

Good.

Awesome thanks.

All the parts bought:

EVGA GTX1080 SC ($400)
ASRock B350m MATX Board ($50)
Ryzen 1600 ($190)
16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600 Samsung B.Die Ram ($190)
Inwin 301 White ($70)
Samsung Pro 950 512gb NVME SSD ($140)

I already have a PC Power Cooling 600Watt PSU so cost me $1050 or so total after everything. I'll use the wraith spire cooler until I find a deal on a H100i or something like that.

The included wraith cooler seems to be quiet capable, not the best solution for overclocking but ~3.8 GHz should be doable. The H100i series is a very good performer, but it is also loud and noisy, especially with the stock corsair fans. Keep that in mind before buying one.
Just one more addition: DDR4 3600 MHz is a great pick for ryzen, but reaching that ram oc can be tricky and I'm not entirely sure if an asrock micro ATX board will be able to do it. I don't want to trash talk ASrock here, because I'm not even sure a 'premium' MSI or Asus board is able to push the ram to 3600MHz all the time, even on 3600+ certified ram. So just keep in mind that ram isn't guaranteed to reach certain oc profiles before spending a premium on it. But if it works, great!

Flaxh

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: Ryzen 1200 or 1600 / 16GB RAM / 1060 6GB or 1070 / ~100€ B350 board / 650w PSU?

Budget: 700-1000€ Portugal but can order from Amazon.es

Main Use: 5 Sim Racing / 2 Other Games / 2 photo and video editing / 2 Machine Learning code

Monitor Resolution: 1080p60FPS on my Dell 24u14h. Maybe in a year or so I'll try to get a 21:9 1440p or 4K 27 inch

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: F1 2017 / Forza 7 / Pcars 2 / Assetto Corsa / Adobe Light room

Looking to reuse any parts?: Hyper 212 Evo / Crucial SSD 250GB / WD Blue 1TB HDD

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? This month

Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Basically I'm trying to decide between going with a cheap board and the 1200 while I wait for the new 8700k or getting the 1600 and not worrying about the CPU for a few years

Reposting to a new page.

Regarding the z370 boards, do we know by now if they will be compatible with the CPUs coming after coffeelake? This really looks like a dick move by Intel and I didn't think they would afford doing it specially when ryzen is doing so well.

Reposting to a new page.

Regarding the z370 boards, do we know by now if they will be compatible with the CPUs coming after coffeelake? This really looks like a dick move by Intel and I didn't think they would afford doing it specially when ryzen is doing so well.

No. While Cannonlake is known to be a thing, and is in some way related to Coffee Lake, there's no telling if they'll actually allow people the upgrade path, or will do as they've done now and tweak just enough to render the CPUs incompatible with 300 series chipsets.

There's been speculation that the success and potential of Ryzen has kinda thrown Intel for a loop, hence their rush to get the X299 platform out the door before Threadripper.

So, i bought new GPU recently and i guess some folks from here would be interested in results:
Speaking about graphical settings, i tested GTX 1080ti, changed only GPU (old one was GTX 770). Turned on every feature and settings to ultra, and after comparing benchmark results i guess i did right thing that didn't bought 4K monitor. Even 1080ti can't handle stable 60FPS with all shit enabled in most graphically demanding games.

For example, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Ultra settings, MSAA x4):
GTX 770
Average: 23.6 FPS
Min: 7.9 FPS
Max: 30 FPS
GTX 1080ti
Average: 50.1 FPS
Min: 7.9 FPS
Max: 62.2 FPS

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Ultra, SSAA x4):
GTX 770
tMtuEkx.jpg

GTX 1080ti
dtpV2Z4.jpg

Far Cry Primal
GTX 770
Average: 29 FPS
Min: 38 FPS
Max: 62.2 FPS
GTX 1080ti
Average: 73 FPS
Min: 47 FPS
Max: 90 FPS

System specs except GPU remains the same, CPU i5-3507k and 8gb DDR3, DX11, 1920x1080. Not sure if CPU and memory are bottleneck in this case, but personally i just got confirmation that it's not the right time to upgrade for 4K and better wait another 2-3 years for new GPU and monitors generations.

kuYuri

So, i bought new GPU recently and i guess some folks from here would be interested in results:

Deus Ex: MD is an extremely demanding game compared to the original one and to other games recently at max settings. It seems to be a tough game to run at a consistent 60fps with all bells and whistles on.

RotTR is a game that actually runs wayyyy better on i7 and other multithreaded CPUs. You will hit some slight bottlenecks on an i5 with RotTR, especially in sections like the Geothermal Valley. But yes, it can be a demanding game regardless.

Murdamonk

Anybody else having an issue with their Asus Crosshair Hero VI x370 and the time in BIOS?

Mine always reset to PST time (i am in the EST zone) everytime i turn off the computer.

I have tried taking out the battery, changing the battery, update the BIOS to 1501... But nothing has work so far.

Because of it, Windows clock is messed up..

ISee

Your CPU is for sure a bottleneck for a 1080Ti. That said, you can hold out on it if you really want to and I'd even recommend waiting before making an upgrade decision for Intel's 8000 series to become available anyway. Just expect to have some drops here and there during CPU heavy gameplay scenarios (Witcher 3 citys, Rottr geothermal village, watch dogs 2 etc.)

Yes the 4k Release is a mess. I wanted to get a new 4k TV this December and started reading up on the tech. 4k is a staggered release and we are still in phase 1. Phase 2 will give us TVs with 120Hz, dynamic refresh rates and 10Bit HDR with 1024 gradients instead of the current 256. Plus GPU power isn't where it needs to be imo and audio receivers are also a mess currently. And the situation is even worse for gaming displays. As much as I'm eager to jump on the 4k Hype, waiting for the real deal is the way to go. If you aren't willing to buy twice, of course.

Your CPU is for sure a bottleneck for a 1080Ti. That said, you can hold out on it if you really want to and I'd even recommend waiting before making an upgrade decision for Intel's 8000 series to become available anyway. Just expect to have some drops here and there during CPU heavy gameplay scenarios (Witcher 3 citys, Rottr geothermal village, watch dogs 2 etc.)

Yes the 4k Release is a mess. I wanted to get a new 4k TV this December and started reading up on the tech. 4k is a staggered release and we are still in phase 1. Phase 2 will give us TVs with 120Hz, dynamic refresh rates and 10Bit HDR with 1024 gradients instead of the current 256. Plus GPU power isn't where it needs to be imo and audio receivers are also a mess currently. And the situation is even worse for gaming displays. As much as I'm eager to jump on the 4k Hype, waiting for the real deal is the way to go. If you aren't willing to buy twice, of course.
Yeah, that's why i upgraded only GPU for now, i checked news and saw that Intel's 8000 is coming really soon and finally be a next major step. News about next gen GPU's was not that promising, so i decided to pull the trigger and got 1080ti while it was on sale in my local wholesale vendor.

I agree about the 4K limitations. I'm loving 1440p/144Hz on my 1080 Ti, but just don't see the necessary parts available for great framerates at 4K just yet. Maybe in another GPU generation or two.

kuYuri

When connecting my monitor, am I using the display port on the GPU rather than the motherboard?

Yes, absolutely the GPU. The GPU is the graphics horsepower of your rig.

The motherboard display is only for troubleshooting or for an emergency (dead GPU, etc).

shira

Yes, absolutely the GPU. The GPU is the graphics horsepower of your rig.

The motherboard display is only for troubleshooting or for an emergency (dead GPU, etc).
Is it viable for like a 4th monitor or is it off when the gpu is active

TVexperto

So I want to upgrade my GPU, I currently have a Rx 480 8GB. But I want better fps for ultrawide gaming so what is the BEST GTX 1080 Ti 11GB on the market. Is it the ASUS one?

Anybody else having an issue with their Asus Crosshair Hero VI x370 and the time in BIOS?

Mine always reset to PST time (i am in the EST zone) everytime i turn off the computer.

I have tried taking out the battery, changing the battery, update the BIOS to 1501... But nothing has work so far.

Because of it, Windows clock is messed up..

I have the exact same problem with the Asus Hero VI board. It started happening like 2 years ago and after doing a ton of research I came to the conclusion it is just a bug that won't be fixed. I basically have to constantly resync my time. A bunch of people seem to have had the issue and it was never solved to my knowledge. However, I recently looked back into it and I found these threads, but I didn't do anything they mentioned in them yet, so I have no idea of the value:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/new-bios-clock-problem_topic49849.html

http://www.simforums.com/forums/asus-rog-mobo-issues_topic47902_post302545.html#302545

So I want to upgrade my GPU, I currently have a Rx 480 8GB. But I want better fps for ultrawide gaming so what is the BEST GTX 1080 Ti 11GB on the market. Is it the ASUS one?

Just search for a roundup of the 1080Tis.

The best mix of cooling, noise and performance potential will likely come from a Hybrid card but a lot of it just depends on luck and the silicon lottery. Otherwise, for the most part they're the same except like the MSI armor I think which seems to be consistently poor at cooling.

I would try to convince anyone who is willing to blow $700+ on an nVidia right now to wait for Volta unless you're perfectly open to selling the 1080Ti in ~5 months or so to recoup some costs to put towards Volta.

Especially because you currently have an 8GB card. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a flagship card with so little time left until the successor.

Decided to bump the OC on my i5 6600k from 4.2 Ghz to 4.5 last night.

Holy shit.

More than doubled my FPS in RotTR Geothermal Valley. BF4 went from 50's-70's with occasional stutter to locked 90-100+ FPS buttery smooth. Actually hit 144 FPS while flying a jet over the resort map which used to run like shit for me.

This is at 1440p with a GTX 1070. I had no idea a 300Mhz bump would make that big of a difference. Wow

Holy shit.

More than doubled my FPS in RotTR Geothermal Valley. BF4 went from 50's-70's with occasional stutter to locked 90-100+ FPS buttery smooth. Actually hit 144 FPS while flying a jet over the resort map which used to run like shit for me.

This is at 1440p with a GTX 1070. I had no idea a 300Mhz bump would make that big of a difference. Wow

I'm glad you got the bumps, obviously, but very unlikely from a 300mhz boost. Did the games get an update? Windows? Did you update graphics drivers or anything else?

I'm glad you got the bumps, obviously, but very unlikely from a 300mhz boost. Did the games get an update? Windows? Did you update graphics drivers or anything else?

Only other thing that changed was I updated the BIOS (ASUS Z170M-Plus) before bumping the OC. Didn't think the BIOS update would do that.

Nothing else changed.

I had been dealing with major CPU bottlenecking issues in those games before the update and increased OC.

MikeBison

IMG_5426.jpg

She's alive! She's alive!

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry about the terrible picture. Will get some proper ones when everything is up and running. Just installing Windows now. Then will do all my driver updates and go from there. Already updated the Bios and everything seems to be working correctly. So, on the home stretch now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good external Blu-Ray drive? My case doesn't have a bay drive for an optical drive on my case. I don't necessarily need a BR writer, but I would at least like a DVD/CD writer. I'm looking at this one on Amazon.

Cant speak for any game apart from tomb raider on that list, but SSAAx4 is essentially running at 4x your set resolution.

So if you are playing at 1080p with 4xSSAA on, you are rendering at 4K.

If you are playing at 4k with 4xSSAA well...yeah, dont expect any pc for the next 10 years to run that at above 60fps. It is essentially 16k.

Cant speak for any game apart from tomb raider on that list, but SSAAx4 is essentially running at 4x your set resolution.

So if you are playing at 1080p with 4xSSAA on, you are rendering at 4K.

If you are playing at 4k with 4xSSAA well...yeah, dont expect any pc for the next 10 years to run that at above 60fps. It is essentially 16k.

This explains why my 1080 Ti was at 99% usage at 1440p/100+ FPS with 4xSSAA+CMAA in WoW, but drops to 3-4% of I go to any other form of AA.

Holy shit.

4.5 ghz all cores or one core? At stock the 6600k will do all 4 cores at 3.5ghz IIRC, which is quite a bit lower. So if you're doing all cores at 4.5ghz it's actually a 1ghz overclock.

SCB3

So, finally decided on an upgrade path, a few questions though

my current specs

• AMD FX-6300
  • 12gb RAM DDR3 (g.skill ripjaw)
  • Asus Strix GTX 950

to the following

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • 8gb RAM DDR4
  • nVidia GTX 1050ti (I can wiggle on this, a 970 is available for a similar price, 980ti if I wanna spend a bit more, this eventually will be replaced with a 4k card, but only when I've upgraded my monitors and TV)
  • A new motherboard for the Ryzen chipset (looking at the MSI B350 TOMAHAWK as it was recommended and seems pretty decent)

Now, totalling up the selling estimate to buying, I only need to pay about £200 or slightly under, which is not bad at all, but is that worth it? I want it for 1080p/60fps gaming where possible and the reason I'm upgrading is to eliminate the bottleneck the older CPU is giving me.

Also, where do I sell these older parts for the best price? Never sold older PC Components before

MikeBison

Windows 10 updates are fucking long.

But all done. Honestly surprised this PC even turned on, let alone everything going so well.

Cable management tomorrow now that I know everything can stay where it is and then onto downloading some games!

4.5 ghz all cores or one core? At stock the 6600k will do all 4 cores at 3.5ghz IIRC, which is quite a bit lower. So if you're doing all cores at 4.5ghz it's actually a 1ghz overclock.

All cores.

I bumped the OC up from 4.2 Ghz, not stock :) Was getting massive weird stutters and CPU bottleneck in the Battlefield games at 4.2, all 4 cores locked at 100% usage and FPS drips into the low 30s.

Updated BIOS and bumped it up to 4.5 Ghz and it's smooth sailing in both BF 1 and 4.

Mrbob

Yeah 4k 120 sounds great in theory but the amount of power that will require is ridiculous. Having said that, I did buy a LG C7 tv earlier this year, set it up for 1080P 120 gaming and it's so smooth. I had not used a higher Hz panel before now. This is going to force me to get a gsync monitor in the next year, but I'm going 1440p 144hz. I can't even imagine what I'll need for 4k 120 gaming so I'll take the lower resolution and maximize performance.

Craaap. All of my parts arrived except for the case, which is scheduled for Monday. Of course, I actually paid like $10 extra for three-day shipping and rush processing to get that by Friday and now this.

Should I try to get things setup and get the basics installed without the case? Any tutorials/precautions for doing so?

I'm not being impatient as much as I'll only have about four hours to do so on Monday after work (assuming the case arrives before I get home) and I kind of wanted to be up Tuesday so I could play some Ys VIII.

looking for a new PC to replace my 4year+ old one.
So. I went to a local PC shop to have one build for the first time
Before buying. They made me a list of their recommendations

CPU: i5 7500 or i7 7700
Motherboard: Asrock H270 Pro4
SSD: 240 GB
HHD: 4TB
Case: Cooler Master
VGA: GTX 1060 6GB Gigabyte
Memory: DD4 8GB or 16GB
Feed: 600w
Windows 10 home

it's quite a big investment for me that needs to last a while so I would like you guys's opinion if this is good enough
any recommendations?

Main Use: Gaming, , general usage , maybe Video Editing , Streaming games in the future
Monitor Resolution: I guess 1080p or 1440p. I will be buying a new monitor too

Jabronium

Craaap. All of my parts arrived except for the case, which is scheduled for Monday. Of course, I actually paid like $10 extra for three-day shipping and rush processing to get that by Friday and now this.

Should I try to get things setup and get the basics installed without the case? Any tutorials/precautions for doing so?

I'm not being impatient as much as I'll only have about four hours to do so on Monday after work (assuming the case arrives before I get home) and I kind of wanted to be up Tuesday so I could play some Ys VIII.

You could at least use the mobo box as a test bench and make sure everything boots while you wait. If you've got a DOA component at least you'll find out before you get everything set up in the case.

Lots of people make sure they can get it to post before they put it in the case. It's totally fine to start assembling.

CPU: i5 7500 or i7 7700
Motherboard: Asrock H270 Pro4

The elephant in the room is intel coffee lake processors that are releasing in the coming months (some rumors point to October, but probably November). An i5 8600 could be both cheaper than a i7 7700 and trade blows with it, or the prices of all the new processors could be just a lot more expensive. Or maybe an i5 8500 could be your budget's sweet spot.

TVexperto

Just search for a roundup of the 1080Tis.

The best mix of cooling, noise and performance potential will likely come from a Hybrid card but a lot of it just depends on luck and the silicon lottery. Otherwise, for the most part they're the same except like the MSI armor I think which seems to be consistently poor at cooling.

I would try to convince anyone who is willing to blow $700+ on an nVidia right now to wait for Volta unless you're perfectly open to selling the 1080Ti in ~5 months or so to recoup some costs to put towards Volta.

Especially because you currently have an 8GB card. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a flagship card with so little time left until the successor.

What do you mean volta? Wont it be around 1000 bucks when its released?

All cores.

I bumped the OC up from 4.2 Ghz, not stock :) Was getting massive weird stutters and CPU bottleneck in the Battlefield games at 4.2, all 4 cores locked at 100% usage and FPS drips into the low 30s.

Updated BIOS and bumped it up to 4.5 Ghz and it's smooth sailing in both BF 1 and 4.

Gotcha. In that case I'd expect the BIOS update did something for you rather than the 300mhz. Glad it's working in either case though.

The 6600k is a pretty damn good CPU.

kuYuri

I got an email from Newegg letting me know RX 570s and 580s are in stock, but like... the prices are still way above MSRP.

You could at least use the mobo box as a test bench and make sure everything boots while you wait. If you've got a DOA component at least you'll find out before you get everything set up in the case.
Lots of people make sure they can get it to post before they put it in the case. It's totally fine to start assembling.
Cool. Anything I need to be aware of, like can I just place the motherboard on my desk, etc?

Reckoner

I'm going to RMA my Cooler Master V750 power supply because of crackling noise and coil whine.

Is it normal procedure for them to send a replacement unit before I send the defective one?

kennah

Now that prices are mellowing out I’m thinking of upgrading my 780 to a 580 and getting a free sync monitor. There’s the Acer xg270hu used locally for $400 Canadian that is awful tempting.

Top Bottom