• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother is purely a man of science. He is completely rational and doesn't believe in an afterlife or ghosts in general. At this particular time, he lived in an upstairs apartment attached to my grandparents home. One evening, at approximately 3am, he needed to come down to get a drink out of my grandparent's fridge. Upon closing the fridge, he turned around and saw a woman or apparition standing about two feet from his face. He said that she was completely vivid and real as if it took up physical space. A dark-haired woman probably in her late 30s. She was dressed in something that more befit the 19th century. A few seconds after staring at her, my brother recounted that her jaw dropped and her mouth stretched out well past a natural length. Her mouth was filled with hundreds of tiny sharp teeth. She then zapped completely out of vision without delay. That was it. He tells me that he cannot explain what happened other than perhaps it being so late his mind was playing tricks on him. He says he was already awake previously and didn't feel all that tired.

Honestly? He lied, no one could see such a thing and stay sane. He'd be locked up in his room at all times and unable to sleep until he'd pass out.

No way he'd just brush it off.

Pimpwerx

Dude lives in a messy apartment that's falling apart. It's not ghosts, buddy. It's the slumlord taking your money while you look everywhere else for an answer. PEACE.

Honestly? He lied, no one could see such a thing and stay sane. He'd be locked up in his room at all times and unable to sleep until he'd pass out.

Early 2012 - I was in my flat one night, in bed - didn't feel like I was drifting off. Suddenly, right infront of my face I saw this head. Like right in my face, I looked down towards the bottom of the bed and it just suddenly appeared clear as anything, I can even remember the face, he looked like Screech out of Saved by the Bell - there for a split second, obviously I jumped out of my skin.

Where it appeared, just kind of round my chest area, he would have had to have been sitting in the floor under the bed with his torso going through bed and my torso area.

A few nights later I looked over and saw a really tall person standing by the bedroom door.

I'd just split up with my girlfriend and she'd moved out, I think it was my first week alone in the flat. The company I worked for had just been bought out by another company and I was going through the process of having to apply for my own job, I was a supervisor and all my staff were at risk of redundancy. My mum has also just been diagnosed with cancer (she's fine now) So lots of stress.

I knew that neither of these incidents were supernatural at all and it was just my brain, some sort of sleep paralysis or stress or something. The first incident I initially freaked out, but managed to get to sleep - didn't even switch the lights on.

The second incident I got up and checked the flat and then slept with the hall light on for a few nights - that one freaked me out more. My point is, I knew that it was just my brain and ghosts don't exist. Even knowing that it still freaked me out...

If I'd seen some shit like the woman with loads of teeth by the fridge and I believed that it was some ghost thing then I'd never sleep again! That'd screw you up for life! No way on earth you'd brush it off!

pestul

Well he did have a heart attack shortly after at 32yrs, gained 150lbs and has lots of weird ailments. He is the kind of a bullshitter at times for other things though.

Just put in my notice that I'm not renewing my lease yesterday. Last night I exit my room to go to the restroom, look left and notice this.
YiZlUdWl.jpg
I'm not saying it's ghosts... But it's ghosts!

Seriously, If you have a religion, start to pray.

i don't want to open a similar thread so...

a couple of days ago I woke up at night because my shower was running for no reason. turned it off and went to bed again.

now last night I had a wierd dream of my grandfather.
[some background info: he died 24 years ago. he was an evil man who seemed to dislike humans.i was always afraid of him. a couple of weeks ago my grandma finally died at the age of 92. She always told me how she never loved my granddad and that she only stayed with him because of the children. her only true love was some french soldier who died in WW2 and she "can't wait to meet him in heaven again".
When she finally took her last breath in front of me I thought "I hope you will meet him(the french soldier) now again".]

i can't really explain what the dream was about but it felt frightening. i woke up and i was in fear. sun was up already so i got up and took a shower. there i spotted several bruises on both of my arms. the one on my left arm is pretty big and hurts. on my right upper arm (bizeps) i encountered several small ones which look like someone grabbed my arm and pressed as hard as possible. like fingerprints. but thats not all. i have also scratches on my back.

I hurt myself pretty often at work but i (normally) never get any bruises so what the hell happened last night.

yeah, you are probably right.
I think it's like with airplane accidents. one goes down and all of a sudden many more seem to crash too but in reality there not more accidents. you are just looking harder at news etc

I have never sleepwalked in my life. I live (now) alone in the house so noone can check it though.
my beloved grandma had the apartment just next to me which brings me to a funny coincidence which happened today and didn't really help to calm me down.
So my mum rang me at work and asked if I was in grannys apartment lately. I denied and asked why. She told me that the shrine at her apartment was sort of "messed up". The crusifix was damaged and the angel statue has got some wierd looking patina.
I headed home and saw that jesus'es(sp?) hand fell off and the little angel next to him looked like he was crying.
The crusifix is very old so I'm sure that Jesus(who is made of porcelain) had just a case of "fatigue" but, boy, that was the last thing I wanted to see today. urgh

edit: pic
DnRbaKr.jpg

can't find his hand.argh

iamaustrian, this sounds like some creepy shit. Has anything else happened? In what way was your grandfather "evil"? Did he ever grab your arm like with your bruises, or physically abuse or intimidate your or anyone else in your family? That's sad about your grandmother losing her true love in the war; I hope she found her peace with him in the afterlife.

I only ever had one supernatural type of experience but I won't forget it. I was probably 18-20 or so at the time and living with my parents. I slept in the basement and had a bathroom and such down there.

I was home alone and taking a shower. Someone grabbed the bathroom door handle and gave it a good shake for 5 seconds or so. There were 2 doors and both were locked, one to the family room, the other to the bedroom. This was a shake on the family room side, and it was unmistakable because the doors and walls were rather thin.. lots of noise. I responded asking who was there but silence..

I cut the shower short and looked around to confirm that I was still alone. It freaked me out a bit, so I called the next-door neighbor. He came over and we searched around to find nothing. During this time, my dog came downstairs and completely wigged out barking and getting all crazy. The dog ran straight to a storage room on the other side of the family room. Dog's angry and jumping up and down on the storage door, so we peeked in there and eventually searched it well. There was a window in the storage area, but it was closed and locked from the inside. Totally empty..

I never did figure out what had happened. My family was at work and unless someone was pranking me, they would have answered when I spoke. The house was locked up.. Now when we stay there and the kids are too scared to sleep downstairs, I tell them it's fine and that there isn't anything to be afraid of. Then I remember this.

Anyways, great thread.. lots of spooky things to read.

This sounds creepy - more for the dog's reactions vindicating that something was wrong.

Good thread - love spooky stories so if anyone's got any more please post them as I'd love to give them a read.

brown-lady.jpg

Here's a famous one. There are experts in photography who have already determined there was no Photoshop going on here because the picture is so old. In b4 matrixing argument.

Here's an experiment for you guys.
But a Ouija board and send your Friend down to a cemetery with a camera. That way you aren't like oh my mind just wants to see it and the person in this video just wants to trick me.

This is so easy it hurts, sure, no photoshop, I'll believe that.

Half the stairway is lit up, conveniently exactly where the "ghost" is. Old dusty place? Beam of light coming downwards into dust, makes a shape in the air that lights up.

Oh look, a ghost.

Prez

Here's an experiment for you guys.
But a Ouija board and send your Friend down to a cemetery with a camera. That way you aren't like oh my mind just wants to see it and the person in this video just wants to trick me.

From all the stories I've read ghosts are supposed to be stuck in the place they died. Now they're following their bodies all the way to the cemetary?

Pila

I'm going to ask this in every ghost thread until I get an answer:

Why the hell would ghosts have clothes on?

Why would you? Or OP?

OP, start chilling at your place naked, maybe you'll disgust the ghost. Maybe he'll like that.

What about the live streaming, it went live for real?

Pila

Anyway, first page is missing a Ghostbuster joke for real? OP is in NYC too... bunch of amateurs. It took me two pages to find Zuul. Smh.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

One theory I read in a book that I liked (I read lots of ghost books while I was working in Covatta's) is that ghosts aren't actually "beings" or souls or people, but simply energy caught in a loop in time of some kind. People that see them humanize them and think that the ghosts "see" them and react to them, but this book proposed that the ghosts are just echoes in time stuck in a groundhog day of sorts, and that sometimes we perceive these echoes even if we can't interact with them or vice versa.

The book was just a bunch of thoughts and theories though, it of course didn't have any evidence other than stories to back anything up. And my experiences were far more than just echoes or after images of people moving about, physical stuff happened. Whether those events were caused by "ghosts" or explainable phenomenon I can't say for certain.

In short, no one fucking knows, LOL. We first need to determine whether ghosts are real or not, THEN we can look into why they wear clothes.

BigDes

And I can backup my claim that Rivitur doesnt know any scientists. I have here a picture of scientists NOT standing next to him.

scientists_490.jpg

Surely if he knew a scientist he would be in the picture standing next to them.

Um if they're scientists why is only one of them wearing glasses?

It's how the "ghost" remembers itself. To acknowledge that there are ghosts acknowledges that they have some form of conscience which then means they can have memory. So if a ghost exists then when it manifests visually, it would manifest the way it saw itself in life or in extreme cases in death.

By the way, anyone experiencing night terror/sleep paralysis, I had that occur to me twice, but luckily I had heard about it before it happened and I knew what it was, and how to react, next time it happens remember this.

What happens is basically that your body will wake up, but your brain is still dreaming. While you dream, your brain "disconnects" your body, so you dont actually start moving around and bumping everything in your sleep. Sleep paralysis, is when your body begins to wake up, but your brain is not 100% awake yet, your body is still not "connected", it takes only a few seconds at most, and NOTHING DANGEROUS CAN HAPPEN.

This thing is, since your brain is essencially still dreaming, you may get a vision of someone near you, this is NOT REAL, and just a dream. STAY CALM, the more agitated you get, the more "violent" the dream will get, if you relax, tell yourself "it's just sleep paralysis, it will end in a few seconds", the vision will stay almost entirely passive, just staying there and doing nothing, if you begin to panic, your dream will get agitated and will turn to a nightmare, this is when the vision begins to strangle or stab you. Just stay calm and it will go by without hassle. You may not be able to breathe during sleep paralysis, and time seems a lot slower than it is, relax, you'll wake up before you suffocate.

The best tip I can give you is sleep on your side. Sleep paralysis almost always happens when you are on your back, and since on your side your vision is mostly restricted, you will almost assuredly not hallucinate anything, making the process a lot easier.

iamaustrian, this sounds like some creepy shit. Has anything else happened? In what way was your grandfather "evil"? Did he ever grab your arm like with your bruises, or physically abuse or intimidate your or anyone else in your family? That's sad about your grandmother losing her true love in the war; I hope she found her peace with him in the afterlife.

I wasn't at my house since jesus fell off the cross because I have to take care of my parents dog (they are on vacation or something). tbh I'm pretty glad atm to sleep somewhere else..urgh

My grandfather slapped me several times as a child. most of the the time he punched me at the back of my head or he grabbed my arm to toss me around. He was normally a calm person but when he went nuts, he was totally off the wall. He never screamed though or something like that.
He was a true and terrifying patriarch of the family. Everyone feared him and kept distance.
He suffered from polio as a child which scared him for life. He was maybe 5.1f at most and had a huge hunch (from polio). He basicly looked like Quasimodo (minus the face). You would think such a tiny and "crippled" man has no strength but in fact he was strong as hell. He worked for decades as a lumberjack but without anysort of machines or even chainsaws. all by hand.
You want to know how evil he really was? Get this!
One of the cats at our farm had babies. I think 4 or 5. you know, those supersweet kitties with the cute big eyes.
I was playing with the kitties (I was around 10 at the time) when suddenly my grandfather came and blabbed something about the cat mother not being able to care for it's babies. So he grabbed every single one of the kitties and threw(slammed) them, in front of me and my younger brother, repeatedly on the concrete till they died. I will never forget the screams of the baby cats, the blood and their shattered bodies all over the place.

I wasn't at my house since jesus fell off the cross because I have to take care of my parents dog (they are on vacation or something). tbh I'm pretty glad atm to sleep somewhere else..urgh

My grandfather slapped me several times as a child. most of the the time he punched me at the back of my head or he grabbed my arm to toss me around. He was normally a calm person but when he went nuts, he was totally off the wall. He never screamed though or something like that.
He was a true and terrifying patriarch of the family. Everyone feared him and kept distance.
He suffered from polio as a child which scared him for life. He was maybe 5.1f at most and had a huge hunch (from polio). He basicly looked like Quasimodo (minus the face). You would think such a tiny and "crippled" man has no strength but in fact he was strong as hell. He worked for decades as a lumberjack but without anysort of machines or even chainsaws. all by hand.
One of the cats at our farm had babies. I think 4 or 5. you know, those supersweet kitties with the cute big eyes.
I was playing with the kitties (I was around 10 at the time) when suddenly my grandfather came and blabbed something about the cat mother not being able to care for it's babies. So he grabbed every single one of the kitties and threw(slammed) them, in front of me and my younger brother, repeatedly on the concrete till they died. I will never forget the screams of the baby cats, the blood and their shattered bodies all over the place.
Jesus Christ that's horrible. I don't believe in ghosts but if anyone could become a terrible and angry spirit your grandpa could.

That guy was a monster in life. Stands to reason he would be in death.

Jesus Christ; he sounds like a proper bastard. I see why you used the word 'evil' to describe him. Makes sense someone with so much anger and hate would continue to linger on this mortal plane even after his body has moved on.

Jesus Christ that's horrible. I don't believe in ghosts but if anyone could become a terrible and angry spirit your grandpa could.

Ha ha; I pretty much said the same thing you did!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What if OP has a dissociative personality disorder and his other "half" really doesn't want him to leave because it loves the apartment?

Just reading over another spooky topic (created by and I think linked earlier by super-heated plasma) and there are some creepy stories in there. Most chilling so far is this one from page 7:

Post #321
Dirk Shmiggler said:
We used to house-sit for friends of my parents in a VERY old house, it was a plantation type house, more of a farm house though, It was built in 1743, this was in Pennsylvania.. Its owners lived in England during the winter and would come to the states for summer, so we started living there fall of 1999 It was just typical, movie kind of thing, it even had huge lion statues at the sides of the front steps and was always cold, drafty and shaded by years old pines...

We could only stay there 6 months until we had to move out. We were forced out... and not by people..... oh man it would take me a whole threads worth...

It basically got to the point of turning us against each other and mocking our voices to mess with us... It was not just ghosts, I do not believe in this type of thing, but i will never go into that house again... IT was very scary. It locked me out of the house (slammed the door behind me as i reached the end of the porch) once in the middle of winter when i went to get firewood and was all alone (i was in my underwear and had to wait for my wife to get home from night shift in 20 degree weather), it would turn the statues in the house to face the wall after we cleaned them, it would drop croquet balls down the oak steps at 2 a.m.,(not the pine steps which the servants would use which led us to believe it was the owner's of the house) it left a baby's foot print in the rug in the bathroom, it would steal my wifes' jewelry and underwear, it would make the clock alarms go off in the house whenever it felt like,, ,,,, just, you name it.. The story's we could tell about it. When we would have friends over,,, no one would ever stay, everyone knew it was haunted as soon as they set foot inside, we couldn't even have people over b/c they sensed it.. The cat always acted like he was running away from something that we couldn't see (which he doesn't do anywhere else).. It was just a scary, scary place to be and it didn't want us there. It almost made me lock my wife in the basement once. She was doing laundry in the basement (dryer running) but i thought she was upstairs on the third floor getting more clothes, i called up from the second floor if she was done and wanted me to lock off the basement, my wife said "yeah hun, i'm done down there, just turn off the lights and close it", in her voice... So i did,,, only to hear my wife pound on the basement door 5 minutes later absolutely terrified..... that's when we left b/c we knew it wanted to hurt us...

I'll try to find some pictures and post our story... I just can't believe we actually experienced it.. I almost feel special in a way to be able to b/c we were able to leave it behind when most people don't have that choice.... The place was not okay.

I honestly feel so goofy believing it, but, honestly i have no choice, i'd be stupid to question my own experience, too much internal conflict not to believe... My wife can verify it all... I've never believed in ghosts b/c i can't understand why they'd be here (doesn't seem too fair) but, this place was just something out of a movie... we couldn't even take a pee in the middle of the night without having to wake the other to go with us... just,,, terrifying to be there and it HATED us..
We went so far as to annoint every door with a cross of annointing oil with someone from the church. THIS REALLY PISSED IT OFF.. i'd suggest against it...

I don't know what the hell it was, i'm just glad we are rid of it...

quick edit... after thinking about it a little more, i remember it used to open up all of the cupboard doors and throw dishes on the kitchen floor.. There was also a time i was studying for finals, and i heard it tapping on the waste basket in the kitchen with a stick (at least that's what it sounded like).. I was in the study on the second floor reading up for a final, i peaked my head out the door to call out to it on the floor below, said "go ahead asshole, keep tapping",, Only to have it tap it so hard that the basket was knocked to the floor... By that time i was just so fed up with the damn thing... Can't say i felt any better though considering it called me out on it after i tried the same... One other time we had lightening hit the tree beside the house in the dead of winter (dead of winter!!!, no storms obviously!!), making all the electrical outlets in the house make a popping sound, filling the house with an ozone type smell. I can't to this day help but feel that it was because of this thing and it somehow got a charge out of it b/c after that, it was even worse.

There was literally something every damn day. I couldn't make this stuff up if i tried to...

Post #349
Dirk Shmiggler said:
sorry, i've been sick past few days, forgot about this thread.

Up until the annointing, it was doing the small time stuff, turning the statues (this place had some WEIRD stuff that it's owners collected from around the world),, i remember a deer they had in the dining room of all places, i think it was a thai carving of a deer... It would always end up close to the doorway kinda peering at us.. no matter how many times we moved the damn thing back... I hated that fucking thing...

but, after the annointing was when it was apparently able to mock our voices.. and when the lightening hit.

OH SHIT!!! I forgot about when my brother in Law came to visit w/ my sister and my niece. I'm sure there are many more things i've forgotten that happened, it was 10 years ago,, but,, We slept up on the third floor, my Sister, brother in law and their at the time,infant daughter were sleeping on the second floor after coming for a visit. I woke up about 3 a.m. to a huge thumping and crash... It freaked the hell out of us, I thought someone was kicking the door in trying to break in, I scampered to find anything remotely useful for bludgeoning half asleep and scared to shit. only, when i ran down to the front door, nothing... I came back up the servants steps to find my brother in law knocked/passed out in the bathroom... when i found him, his eyes were rolling up in his head,, by this time my sister, wife to be, and niece were all hysterical... I ended up calling 911,,, only b/c i thought he was attacked... and went searching the house... Only after he came to did we hear what happened and i had to call 911 back and tell them "nevermind"... they were non amused....To this day he swears that he woke up to take a piss only to have something (he said a large, dark grey figure) behind his shoulder grab him, and push his hand into the toilet, seriously, he said it was trying to push his head into the toilet, then, knocked him out.... Believe me, he is NOT one to believe this stuff either, He will never talk to us about it to this day... They have never set foot inside that house again and they are friends with these owners b/c we're all family friends... Before anyone says medical condition, the guy runs marathons and never before, or since has passed out or had a seizure of any kind... With all that happened to us, of course i believed him and i felt really bad for him b/c i'm sure this was his first experience with anything of the sort... He just seemed crushed over it...

They left that night to go stay at my parents house about 15 minutes away...

We brought what had happened (just the little stuff) to the people who own it, and they get very weird about it. Total denial, and, i honestly don't think the thing dislikes THEM at all. When we would visit them while they lived there, it was always a different feel and we never even would have known anything was up had we not attempted to live there.

They have a groundskeeper who stays there from before we did up until now. He is also very weird and possessive of the place. He came by one day w/o knowing any of this ever happening to us and thought it would be good if we left???... It was very weird and only later did we realize what he meant...

I swear i'd love for someone to stake this place out...

*edit* I just wanted to add that, for some weird reason, i always have to tell myself that i don't believe in this stuff STILL, do you believe that?.. I grew up in a very normal family, nothing weird ever happened, studied science all the way up through college and into my career life, and you realize it's just not the way you think, but, it is what you experienced, so now what?.. So, i guess i just do that to tell myself that, maybe, there's some logical explanation, when, obviously there isn't... It's tough b/c i grew up almost reared to be the skeptic from my family, to my experiences, to my beliefs, up until this point... That's why i have such a struggle with it.. Honestly, i tried to just forget about it,,, I guess i kind of just need to fucking accept it... I'll see if i have any pics i can scan, this was before digital cameras and such, but, i know we have some somewhere... it'd probably take me ages and we've both done what we can to put all that shit behind us...

I really hope you guys believe me b/c i'm being truthful... there will be no "got you gaf, ha ha" post or anything like that... It's just straight up what the two of us, and close friends were able to experience. I guess we were lucky in a way?? I do feel like it's a hell of a life experience...

Sounds like the premise from a James Wan horror movie.

kinggroin

Banned
This is so easy it hurts, sure, no photoshop, I'll believe that.

Half the stairway is lit up, conveniently exactly where the "ghost" is. Old dusty place? Beam of light coming downwards into dust, makes a shape in the air that lights up.

Oh look, a ghost.

Not even close.

Though I agree with you fwiw

can you form a relationship with a ghost and have a baby and if so will it come out as a regular baby with paranormal powers or just a regular ghost baby that can't grow any older

I think paranormal activity research and history is fascinating, but I can't say I necessarily believe any of it. I tend to find stuff firmly rooted in the real-world can be more terrifying than supernatural stuff that could really just be anything. Stuff like "Daddy, there's a ghost in my room" versus "Daddy, there's a strange man in my room", that sorta thing.

Just reading over another spooky topic (created by and I think linked earlier by super-heated plasma) and there are some creepy stories in there. Most chilling so far is this one from page 7:

Post #321

Post #349

Sounds like the premise from a James Wan horror movie.
Yeah, I've always convinced myself that I am a rational non-superstitious person but I've now lived in two different houses where I had weird experiences. I talked about the first time in one of the other spooky story threads where I saw a woman in my bedroom as a child that couldn't be found after I ran for help. It was the middle of the night and the woman was dressed like she was from the late 19th century so no one in my family believed me and was convinced that I was dreaming but I was wide awake at the time. My family owned the house since before I was born and we lived there until I was 12 and that was the only strange experience that I had and no one else in my family ever reported seeing or feeling anything.

The second experience was living in an apartment in DC. I lived there for 8 years and had more strange incidents than I could possibly recount now. 99% of them were things that could be explained away by imagining things or being absent minded but several of the incidents were too weird for me to explain away. One example is there was a night that I woke up around 3am to find that every light in the apartment had been turned on. The lights were all on sliders which made it even more difficult to explain. Another was that my bedroom was separated from the main living area by a large sliding glass partition. I lived by myself so I never bothered to ever close it. One morning I woke up to go to the bathroom and slammed into the closed partition shattering it to pieces and nearly breaking my nose. There's no way that I closed it and forgot. Several years later I left my house in the middle of the night to go on a trip ad set the house alarm. Two hours into the trip I get a call from ADT saying that the alarm was going off. I was on Amtrak so I called the owner of the house the apartment was in and asked her if she would check on the alarm for me (she lived around the corner). A little while later she calls me back and says she turned off the alarm and everything was fine but would I like her to turn off the lights. I'm like "what???", it was 4am when I left and all the lights were off. So then she pauses and asked me if anything weird like this had happened before. I start to tell her about some of the other incidents and then she tells me that when she lived in the apartment before me the same kind of stuff was happening to her. Like me it always happened when she was alone and it caused problems between her and her husband because she thought at first that he was playing tricks on her. Even after they split up she apparently thought he was still getting into the apartment to mess with her head but after she moved out and rented the place to me nothing weird ever happened at her new place. After I lived there for about 6 years I spoke to one of my neighbors about the house and she told me that when she was young there was a fire there that killed several members of a family and the house had remained burnt out and vacant for years until my landlord won it in the housing lottery and renovated it. The crazy thing is that even with all this weird shit going on I never felt uncomfortable or scared living there. It never felt menacing, whatever was going on, just really strange like I had a quiet, invisible and somewhat inconsiderate roommate. To this day I still wonder what was going on but I never had another strange experience after I bought my new place and moved away.

sakuori

I thank the person who bumped this thread. Can't believe I missed this, I'm going to read the 3spooky5me stories at the office tomorrow.

So OP, you still okay?

how to people in scary movies and those tv shows go back to sleep after their cupboards explode or kid gets dragged down the stairs. It's like "Well gang, all this haunting has got me dead tired. I'm gonna hit the hay now". I would just leave and sleep in a church cause f that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom