• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I told my girlfriend she had an imaginary friend..

Status
Not open for further replies.

OP, you really should, like right now

717267.gif

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't get it.

1. If you have strong convictions about being an atheist to the point where you would say stuff as described in the OP, why would you date a highly religious person?
2. If that highly religious person has opinion stating that atheist are immoral and you are an atheist, why would you date that person? Or let's just say that you don't know before that she has that kind of opinion but after finding out, why would you *still* date that person?
3. And why, despite all the signs, you would still date that person? And now after the incompatibility rears its ugly head and resulted in a breakup, you would post on an Internet forum as if you just want to badmouth her? Like, "Look, look! I am not the one that is crazy! She is!" You're not looking for anything but to have people in GAF to pat your back, aren't you? And say "ohh that's ok that religious chick is crazy you are a good atheist person don't worry you don't do anything wrong."

To me you're just complaining about stuff you brought on yourself.

Oh hey, I never thanked you for that!

You're welcome. If I could do it again, I'd violently murder my son all over again.

I cared!

:(

I still have RA btw, you must have cured someone else on accident. I'm the tall one with dark hair.

I'm working on it. Honestly there's just a lot of paperwork for this sort of thing, and it has to go through about 6 departments. If it's not cured in 5 weeks, then please contact your nearest archangel or DMV, because they are the exact same thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Seems like an extremely clear case of irreconcilable differences.
Yuuuuup. This sounds like pretty fundamental incompatibilities that will only become bigger fights if the relationship progresses.

I don't get it.

1. If you have strong convictions about being an atheist to the point where you would say stuff as described in the OP, why would you date a highly religious person?
2. If that highly religious person has opinion stating that atheist are immoral and you are an atheist, why would you date that person? Or let's just say that you don't know before that she has that kind of opinion but after finding out, why would you *still* date that person?
3. And why, despite all the signs, you would still date that person? And now after the incompatibility rears its ugly head and resulted in a breakup, you would post on an Internet forum as if you just want to badmouth her? Like, "Look, look! I am not the one that is crazy! She is!" You're not looking for anything but to have people in GAF to pat your back, aren't you? And say "ohh that's ok that religious chick is crazy you are a good atheist person don't worry you don't do anything wrong."

To me you're just complaining about stuff you brought on yourself.

Wtf? Can you read the thread accordingly? Thanks.

1- I don't have "strong convictions about being an atheist".
2- I date her, because, you know, love transcend religions? She was mad and told me that, I answered back. She already apologized, so did I.
3- Not my intention. She is definetely not crazy. I don't want pats on my back, I asked for a FUCKING ADVICE, which I got. (Thanks to all who did. Especially Fiction, Admiral Woolfington and 213372bu)
4- READ THE THREAD.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I read it including all your edits.in the OP. Well, to be fair, up to page 3.

That was honestly my take *shrugs*

One might wonder why would you even bother dating a highly religious person if you hold your atheist view so strongly, and then complaining when it blows up on you.

GRW810

You're better off out of it OP. No way that woman would ever allow you a fair influence in any future family planning.

I read it including all your edits.in the OP. Well, to be fair, up to page 3.

That was honestly my take *shrugs*

One might wonder why would you even bother dating a highly religious person if you hold your atheist view so strongly, and then complaining when it blows up on you.

You didn't read it because you are still saying that shit. It was a mistake, I've said that for the whole thread, I'm not even ATHEIST.

You're welcome. If I could do it again, I'd violently murder my son all over again.

I'm working on it. Honestly there's just a lot of paperwork for this sort of thing, and it has to go through about 6 departments. If it's not cured in 5 weeks, then please contact your nearest archangel or DMV, because they are the exact same thing.

Everything comes down to the paperwork. Damn.

I'll be patient, Lord, as long as it doesn't take like, 50 years. That might be too long.

And as long as that archangel is Gabe, I'm content to wait.

tumblr_inline_muz41c72gh1qhm8tf.gif

2- I date her, because, you know, love transcend religions? She was mad and told me that, I answered back. She already apologized, so did I.
Maybe I'm wrong here, but reading all your posts it seems to me that your SO loves god more than you. If you feel happy, more power to you, bro.

Two Words

1- I don't have "strong convictions about being an atheist".
3- Not my intention. She is definetely not crazy. I don't want pats on my back, I asked for a FUCKING ADVICE, which I got. (Thanks to all who did. Especially Fiction, Admiral Woolfington and 213372bu)
4- READ THE THREAD.
If she is very serious about her religion, I don't see love transcending it. It doesn't make sense for a devout religious person to put another person over their religion or what their kids are taught.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You didn't read it because you are still saying that shit. It was a mistake, I've said that for the whole thread, I'm not even ATHEIST.

Well, up to page 3, like I said.

And you're not an atheist? Regardless, it is clear that you hold no respect to the religious views she held so dearly--a moment of rage after all can be a moment where you are at the most honest--so why are you dating her, especially if she is a highly religious person?

But! If you two can make up, then good for both of you. You just need to really ask yourself though, whether this can be a potential for a destructive snag in the future and if that'll be worth all the trouble.

Grep

Banned
I am not an atheist, but some GAFers are very hypocritical. The OP freely expressed his beliefs to someone he loves, and what he gets for that sincerity- mocking and being dumped at the same time.

If also had a friend that was a strong feminist, and when I (first time) started to decompose her theory from sociological and psychological point of view ( I was prepared for a topic, as I did some research on Uni)-we never talked again.

I guess if you want to survive i modern world, you must never express your beliefs or ideas ( unless you are a member of some club or institution).

Gnome

While it sounds like you were kind of a dick, this issue is something that was going to be unavoidable. If she's not willing to hear you out, and this is important to you, then I would personally just end things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think you just fucked up, but, then, I have no religious bearing so I understand where you're coming from.

Vagabundo

I violently slaughtered my son for you. If that doesn't say "love" then I don't know what does.

"I only wanted a goat! Man, some of your take this shit too seriously". GOD

I am not an atheist, but some GAFers are very hypocritical. The OP freely expressed his beliefs to someone he loves, and what he gets for that sincerity- mocking and being dumped at the same time.

If also had a friend that was a strong feminist, and when I (first time) started to decompose her theory from sociological and psychological point of view ( I was prepared for a topic, as I did some research on Uni)-we never talked again.

I guess if you want to survive i modern world, you must never express your beliefs or ideas ( unless you are a member of some club or institution).

Wow its like you didnt read the thread. You can disagree etc, but you have to be respectful. Especially if you claim to love someone.

Kain

That's only true for insecure or inmature people, but then again, most of the population can be put into one or the other category in my experience.

For example I have an ultra-feminist vegetarian friend and we clash all the time when the subject(s) come up, but we both are not insecure in our beliefs so we remain the best of friends even if we don't agree in those things.

Some people don't seem to understand that not agreeing with one's belief's is not attacking or disrespecting.

Vodh

How has this not been posted yet?

Funniest_Memes_knock-knock-who-s-there-it-s-jesus-let-me-in_16896.jpeg

But yeah, you kinda were a dick about it. Sounds like a break-up potential fight to me.

excowboy

Have you examined this thought? Long term 'love' in a relationship is not the butterflys in your stomach but often choosing to love the other person when the going gets tough in faith they'll respond in kind. So, it's usually as much to with trust, respect and understanding as it is feeling good about the person.

You're comments demonstrated a complete lack of those to your partner so she's rightly upset. The question is, do you care enough to apologise and try and understand her position? It sounds like you do, but you'll need to be serious about it. You also need to figure out if you can sustain that long term, cos if not marriage and children are pretty bad ideas for you guys. My two cents, good luck!

Monocle

Me too, because supposedly it's kind of my fault somehow.

IRNNk0X.gif

Chao

Relationship was doomed from the beginning I'm afraid. You can't do anything to stop her believing in whatever she believes and she will expect you to change for her.

So run as fast as you can.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You should also consider the high probability that your girlfriend has the long term plan of making you more religious.
Of course. If religion is good, and two good people have a good relationship... Why wouldn't the both of them trend closer to true religious belief in time? That's the thinking. Its not even necessarily a conscious scheme. Just the common feeling of "hope for the best" might include an unconscious belief that increased religiosity would inevitably be a part of that.

That's one big issue with religion. It's presumed by religious people that their religion is innate to people of good nature, and innate to the fabric of life. But it's actually an arbitrary ideology. Good people won't inevitably trend towards that belief. It actually takes specific indoctrination.

This rarely happens, hell, I never heard of a case where it does. Either the Atheist or the Theist will overpower the other into submission, there is no middle ground.

UrbanRats

You say there's an imaginary man in the sky, then claim you aren't atheist? Even an agnostic wouldn't say that.
Bullshit.
I went to a catholic school for a couple of years, and that's about the amount of respect the head nun we had, gave to other religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, and such).
Even at the time i was more or less atheist/agnostic, so i didn't care that much either way, but faith/belief can very well translate in arrogance, for obvious reasons.

Chuckie

This rarely happens, hell, I never heard of a case where it does. Either the Atheist or the Theist will overpower the other into submission, there is no middle ground.

Lol. Bullshit. My wife is Christian and I am atheist. She goes on church on Sundays, I play on my PS4 on Sundays. Very happily married for 8 years now.

Greddleok

Then, she told me about "the future" that we are no match because she wants to teach her sons about God and religion, and that I, as a guy with no "moral", wouldn't be able to do that, just because.

She's talking about kids while you're in college?

Sounds like her dumping you would be getting off lightly. You'll find someone better.

Yes OP i't salvageable. Try to talk with her.

Don't listen to this whole garbage of run , etc etc. If you like her , its not religion beliefs that will separate you both. As long as you get along and accept the differences (aka dont mock her beliefs endlessly ).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You told your deeply religious GF that her way of life, the very core of her daily affairs and how she perceives life and existence, is based on a fairytale?

What exactly did you expect? How did this end in your head before you said those words?

WoodWERD

Yes OP i't salvageable. Try to talk with her.

Don't listen to this whole garbage of run , etc etc. If you like her , its not religion beliefs that will separate you both. As long as you get along and accept the differences (aka dont mock her beliefs endlessly ).

True Savior
(Today, 05:05 PM)

Too easy...

The "love transcends religion" line, holy shit haha.

Beepos

I'd just end it. Seriously, if she is that devote and you are not, it's going to come up again, and again... and probably.. again.

I mean, sounds like you dodged a bullet. Seems like someone who would begin indoctrinating her children into the word of God before they can even talk...

Their first words would probably be lord, forgive me for I have sinned

Have you examined this thought? Long term 'love' in a relationship is not the butterflys in your stomach but often choosing to love the other person when the going gets tough in faith they'll respond in kind. So, it's usually as much to with trust, respect and understanding as it is feeling good about the person.

You're comments demonstrated a complete lack of those to your partner so she's rightly upset. The question is, do you care enough to apologise and try and understand her position? It sounds like you do, but you'll need to be serious about it. You also need to figure out if you can sustain that long term, cos if not marriage and children are pretty bad ideas for you guys. My two cents, good luck!
She wasn't rightfully upset before he made his comment, but instead she demonstrated some incredible religious bigotry which rightfully the OP upset. It still wasn't right for the OP to reply the way he did, but it was certainly quite understandable. He seems to understand her position already quite well, but she doesn't understand his position and doesn't seem give any compromises.

At least going by the way OP frames the situation that is.

Run, atheism is mostly incurable(unless you want to do the born again thing). If it's not contagious because she's immune to logic, run. If she's already devoted to ruining your potential children, run. Why are you ruining every sunday going to a place you have no faith in? It's not romantic, it's pedantic and you should do something more constructive with your time. Also FYI you will never live up to any of the romantic ideals movies have implanted in her head, you couldn't even if you tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom