• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was sold a multipack can separately.

Linkura

It's a "rule" so that Coca-Cola and Pepsi can try to pinch chains for the right to carry their products, which is coincidentally why you tend to find one or the other in chains, rather than both.

To be honest, I doubt if they tried to apply it to a non-chain restaurant if it would even be upheld, and I doubt even more they would try to enforce it in such a case to begin with for fear of losing the precedent to do it to large chains.

My local Italian restaurant carries both Coke and Pepsi. The fucking monsters.

norm9

giphy.gif

I would imagine there could be two reasons for this.

1. Legally\technically required labels (nutrition info, UPC codes) are only printed on the original multi-can packaging, making the individual cans harder/illegal to sell to a end customer.

2. Middle-man bars/restaurants buy the multi-packs contractually under a discount for their use, and the soda maker doesn't want them to split up the cans and sell them at retail and compete with the licensed bottlers.

Does this count as me being sold a multipack can separately?
Maybe? It could be that the restaurant counts as the final 'customer' (and not a retailer) for the soda cans, and it is OK to give you one of those.

What options do I have going forward if I were to report this?
You could call up the soda manufacturer, but I don't see why you would. I think the prohibition is so that retailers don't buy the multipacks and sell individually, not restaurants fulfilling their drink orders.

What would be the result if I did report the restaurant?
You'd have wasted a phone call? I don't think the soda company cares about this case.

Why is this a rule in the first place?
See my theories above.

One reason those labels exist is that the individual items in a multipack may not contain all the legally required info like full nutrition information, etc. because it's shifted to the outer packaging. Or it may be lacking a barcode, or the barcode printed on it belongs to the full package size and not an individual can, etc. Or the manufacturer just doesn't want stores buying packs and splitting them up instead of buying higher-priced individual items to sell. Seems like it would mainly be a thing for retail stores, not restaurants.

But..why? Why don't you take the time you would spend reporting them and spend it interacting with the other human beings around you so you can learn on your own why this is bizarre

rec0ded1

After you put the smack down on these soda hustling crooks, take down the people that remove the "do not remove" tags from mattresses. We're counting on you.

FyreWulff

One reason those labels exist is that the individual items in a multipack may not contain all the legally required info like full nutrition information, etc. because it's shifted to the outer packaging. Or it may be lacking a barcode, or the barcode printed on it belongs to the full package size and not an individual can, etc. Or the manufacturer just doesn't want stores buying packs and splitting them up instead of buying higher-priced individual items to sell. Seems like it would mainly be a thing for retail stores, not restaurants.

this is the actual reason. once someone buys a multipack of something it's 100% legal to sell the items in the multipack itself separately.

Ask the clerk for an invitation into the underground world of selling multipack pop drinks separately. After investing in several bulk purchases from your local Walmart, you can be his supplier and demand a royalty of 10cents per can sold. You'll be the real life Godfather in no time!

Of all the things that needs reporting I don't think this one is worth the hassle, unless somehow you feel ripped off and want revenge for making you pay 10 bucks... And you hated the food and service so much that you would rather people lose their jobs.

In any case OP, if you can channel this sense of justice for something better that actually benefit other human beings than corporations, you will be hero.

mf.luder

Is this the same thing as "not labelled for individual sale"? I interpreted it as the nutrition information wasn't on each little package but rather the box it came in so therefore it "can't" be for individual sale.

Come on OP, make america great again and bring back the multipack jobs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
People say they don't care but when we don't have a sale item because the local convenience store owners cleared us out, suddenly it's our fault for letting it happen. Coke is a bit different since they own their stock and just rent shelf space but otherwise it's one of your local groceries eating the cost for these people.

I think part of the reason they might be marked that way is just because if they are sold at retail, the UPC needs to be able to register that this is a six pack and not an individual. Some of these are sold in the six pack plastic ring holders where you (if it's self checkout) or the clerk are going to be scanning an individual bottle and not some sort of cardboard case SKU wherein it would be clear that there's a difference between scanning the 12 pack box or an individual can/bottle.

Nachos

You really gonna narc on a can-reselling ring?

how the fuck is that even enforcable. what makes the manufacturer think they havw the right to say you can't sell it separately.

Well, if they only sell you the license for a can...

I think part of the reason they might be marked that way is just because if they are sold at retail, the UPC needs to be able to register that this is a six pack and not an individual. Some of these are sold in the six pack plastic ring holders where you (if it's self checkout) or the clerk are going to be scanning an individual bottle and not some sort of cardboard case SKU wherein it would be clear that there's a difference between scanning the 12 pack box or an individual can/bottle.

yes. this has happened to me, cashier accidently scanned the individual can instead of the whole 6 pack.

good times.

i told her

rjinaz

I think my brain process if I noticed this would be "huh, they aren't supposed to do that", and then never think about it again.

yes. this has happened to me, cashier accidently scanned the individual can instead of the whole 6 pack.

good times.

i told her

Right. But what I'm saying is that some of these things are explicitly marked where all six UPCs all register as "6 pack Pepsi cans." So that if I was a wise guy and pulled one off the plastic ring holder it'd still ring up differently than an individual can being sold in the refrigerator next to the checkout aisle.

gaugebozo

Dear GAF, I saw someone take a penny from the "take a penny leave a penny" tray, and they've told me they never leave a penny. Should I call the FBI?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just the drink soda lol, what the hell.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's a can of Coke, who cares?

It probably cost the Coca-Cola company less than a single cent to produce that one can of soda.

Ivan 3414

I can't help you OP but this thread is a prime example of people not reading the OP.

That or having poor reading comprehension skills

CHC

It's not enforceable. It's not intended for individual sale aaaand, that's it. Intended.

Pretty much, the absolute worst case thing I can imagine happening is the restaurant loses their purchasing agreement with that particular beverage company, but even that seems like quite a stretch.

If the OP is really that worried about soda pricing, he / she should probably just considering purchasing their own case of Coke.....

Hyoukokun

I live in Massachusetts, and I've often run into shops selling drinks marked with big red "not for sale in MA" notices. I think it's because they're from non-bottle-deposit states (either NH or RI). Bugs me slightly since that takes away money that would go towards recycling. Doesn't seem like the police have any interest in cracking down, given how blatant / obvious the notices are.

I'm actually with the OP on this one.

In Northern Ireland at least, take-away services frequently sell a tin of Coke Cola for ÂŁ1.

Now if it's​ from a multi pack it usually works out to be ÂŁ0.25 - 0.30p.

Why is it acceptable that they should make such a profit?

DBT85

Because you want to pay for it. Same reason Apple has $250bn in cash under the mattress.

Even if they don't buy cans from a multipack, they can buy them from Makro for the same price and not have that restriction anyway.

Yeoman

I'm actually with the OP on this one.

In Northern Ireland at least, take-away services frequently sell a tin of Coke Cola for ÂŁ1.

Now if it's​ from a multi pack it usually works out to be ÂŁ0.25 - 0.30p.

GAF has a weird defensiveness over anything restaurant/fast food related.

Also from a cultural point of view I think in the UK we are just much more used to certain consumer standards being enforced. I'm not sure this counts as one but the food place shouldn't be making a habit of this.

Nowise10

I actually reported a restaurant for doing this once. No idea what the outcome was but OP you can go to the FSIS government website (https://www.fsis.usda.gov) and go to the section to report regulations and compliance failures.

When I submitted mine about a year ago I just got a confirmation email but never heard back from them.

statham

its not illegal to sell separately. Pepsi/Coke don't want you to, so they put it on the can, but its not illegal.

DBT85

That's not a great comparison.

Someone sells you something for a price you're willing to pay.

The only difference is that this shop is selling a can that they aren't supposed to resell, but that hey could buy at a wholesaler without such a restriction.

Is your problem that they make that much profit (which is what you said in your post) or that they are being naughty?

Defuser

That capitalism for ya.

There are some people who buy humble bundle games and resell them seperately.

Some retailers are guilty of this too when they received promotion bundle of items to be sold together during the limited timed event but after the event they sell them separately if they have leftovers.

Top Bottom