• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was sold a multipack can separately.

Clockwork

We bought some cooler beers from a shady street vendor in Vegas. We were hot, thirsty, and the beer was cold.

We got what we wanted and the seller got what he wanted. On top of knowing it was shady we also know that he was probably just splitting up 12 packs/cases and the markup was outrageous.

Who cares?

I have also purchased multipack/not for individual Heinz ketchup from the grocery store that they split up. It didn't cross my mind that it was a big deal.

GHG

I'm actually with the OP on this one.

In Northern Ireland at least, take-away services frequently sell a tin of Coke Cola for £1.

Now if it's​ from a multi pack it usually works out to be £0.25 - 0.30p.

Why is it acceptable that they should make such a profit?

Yes, how dare a restaurant make profit to keep on operating and serving you food. How dare they.

I think we need to go deeper here and understand if the profit margin levels they are making on food are acceptable or not.

We also need to come up with a scale for what is/isn't acceptable in terms of profit margin percentages. We might be able to save the world if we are successful with this.

In Northern Ireland at least, take-away services frequently sell a tin of Coke Cola for £1.

Wait until you find out what kind of profit they make on fountain drinks.

OP is curious about something and is asking hypothetical questions.

Many people respond by dogpiling and treating OP like a loser, even after OP clarifies their intention.

People look stupid.

NeoGAF.

The Argus

Many people respond by dogpiling and treating OP like a loser, even after OP clarifies their intention.

People look stupid.

NeoGAF.

GAF is always looking for something to complain about. This topic has about three things: 1) OP complaining about a can of soda. 2) People complaining about OP and their motives. 3) People complaining about #2's people complaining. Shit guess that makes me #4.

It's kinda beautiful.

nomster

For what it's worth, that multipack designation is to make sure that the distributor gets their vig, not protect the ultimate consumer

Dazza

Small retailers will just about always do this because their buying power is weak compared to large retailers.

Buying even normal individual items for small retailers can often be more expensive than the retail on special price at a supermarket. That's why you get independent convienance store owners buying things in bulk from supermarkets to stock their own shelves

Hex

Banned
Come on GAF, this is embarrassing.
Really? You want to report them for selling a can from a multi pack?
If it is such a burden on your fragile soul, don't buy from them anymore and sod off elsewhere.
For fuck sake small businesses have a hard enough time surviving

It's not illegal to sell multipack items.
The large labels saying multipack are there to mearly shame the seller into not selling the discounted item as the customers can clearly see they got it cheaper. The barcode is often also removed as another inconvenience to any seller.

Again. Not illegal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey guys I ordered an 18" pizza and just measured it and it turned out to be 19". Hypothetically what are my options here if I report it to the Internal Pizza Revenue board?

Curious, did they charge you the multipack list price?

newsagents round my way used to do that all the time. probably still do in fact, but I buy in bulk myself these days so haven't bought one in ages

AlexBasch

Jesus Christ why some of you people are like this? Why can't just let something that minimal go.

WHY.

I walked across the street without using the crosswalk.
How the hell do you sleep at night knowing you did this.

You fucking make me sick.

Ban Puncher

I'm calling the police on OP for this bad thread.

And all the previous posters for being accessories.

Enjoy prison, criminal scum.

kiguel182

The rule is probably just so they have to pay more. I doubt it's a law and just something the beverage owners have as a rule. They would probably stop selling them coke I assume.

Also, I love how the thread comes across if you didn't edit it. The first page is something else lol

NewGame

Banned
a3534da382d6ce47ec6ab1d50efd9858_orig.jpg

ChrisD

I get a kick out of places like Entertainmart selling games/CDs that say "Not For Resale" on them in big red letters. Have always wondered about stuff like that. Can't say I've ever thought about the multipack drinks being sold for a buck at a local burger joint, but now that I think on it they're totally doing the same thing haha.

Do people report the stuff mentioned in OP? Think some undercover Coca-Cola people (would they classify as Secret Shoppers?) have ever stopped smaller businesses from doing such things, and we just never noticed the switch from unofficial split-packs to what I presume is bought directly from Coke vendors?

I find no shame in wondering on what reporting would entail. Not that I'd/you'd ever do so, but just as a curiosity.

A lot of hate in this thread over questions from a curious person lmao... also the people telling him to get a life.. oh the irony..

People look stupid.

NeoGAF.
Pretty much.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
If you play this right you can reap the rewards and buy a bunch of "Not to be sold separately" Twinkies.

LewieP

It is strange to me that so many people are totally ok with this, but get curious about the secondary market for reselling game keys, when it is the same economic function.

I think both are fine, both legally and morally, but your suppliers might want to sever ties with you if you get caught doing it.

Orbis

In the UK at least I don't think there is any legal issue with it, and from what I can tell the existence of the warning is some combination of:
- Multipack items may not have the required nutrition/contact information on each item. (So they just stick this on all multipack items to cover themselves)
- They might be missing a barcode which would be an inconvenience to larger shops.
- They might be in non-standard sizes that the company doesn't sell individually (so they don't want brand/marketing confusion)

big_z

are these multipack cans an American thing? in Canada you can buy 12/24/32 packs and there's no special label on them.

are these multipack cans an American thing? in Canada you can buy 12/24/32 packs and there's no special label on them.

In the UK the cans often have the average price because of the multipack savings printed on them, to stop companies from making massive profits off them.

So if the multipack cost £3 for 12 cans, each can would have "25p" printed on them. Every newsagents I've ever seen them at also sells them at the printed price.

SephiZack

Are people even reading the OP?

He was curious and asked some questions, it feels like only a handful of posters read the OP beyond the first sentence

munroe

Man, if the thirst for knowledge from simple curiosity garners this much hate, the world will end up living in ignorance.

There's nothing wrong with trying to learn how things work, just because they might want to know what will happen if they reported it doesn't mean they actually will, so stop hating and answer their questions if you can.

And actually learn how to read whole paragraphs instead of just the first line.

Just don't buy it if you don't like the idea of a local business making money. This is the weirdest things I've seen someone criticise.

FyreWulff

convenience

same reason 2 liters of soda cost 80 cents in the US but the same 2 liter is 2.50$ from the pizza place

Aranath

Holy shit at the dog pile and blatant not reading of the OP in this thread. Relax your asses, people.

There's no legal basis to stop people doing it. It's just a recommendation from the manufacturer. I guess if a shop or restaurant is caught doing it, the manufacturer could decide to blacklist them. In the case of smaller operations, I doubt anyone gives two hoots given how few units are involved.

Top Bottom