• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iconic Gaming Logos

entremet

As MK9's release nears, one thing it got me thinking is how iconic its logo is. I enjoyed the first three games in the arcades, and I'm stoked for the new game, which seems to be going back to its roots. That Dragon logo is just so iconic and perfect for the reboot of the series

mortal-kombat-logo.jpg

Going a bit retro, the Rock Man logo always seemed simple and understated. Most North American gamers got a more Star Wars type logo when the game was released here as Mega Man.

images.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
cj_iwakura said:
The Key of Solomon from Shin Megami Tensei.

Closest I can find:

smt2art04.jpg

The US version is cool too.

This is not iconic like everything else in this thread is iconic, in the sense that I've never seen it before it my life.

cj_iwakura

hey_it's_that_dog said:
This is not iconic like everything else in this thread is iconic, in the sense that I've never seen it before it my life.

It goes back almost twenty years now.

1.jpg

There we go.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
rockstar-logo.png

Simple and easily noticeable

JaseMath

playstation-logo.jpg

Every time I see this logo, I think of the (awesome) original PSone start up sound. I'm glad they're still using it.

Gravijah

Zebra said:
Mmmmm, I love bacon.

It's two flying carpets!

JasonMCG said:
playstation-logo.jpg

Every time I see this logo, I think of the (awesome) original PSone start up sound. I'm glad they're still using it.

Yeah, but only part of it. It's missing the amazing white part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goPduGKpcIE&feature=related

I was seriously disappointed with the PS3 one. It's almost like a parody of modern gamings move to orchestrated everything. :/

cj_iwakura

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Iconic means more than "cool looking image." Widespread cultural significance and recognition are also typically part of the definition.

It's extremely recognizable among the SMT community. Hence it's iconic.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
cj_iwakura said:
It's extremely recognizable among the SMT community. Hence it's iconic.

Anything is extremely recognizable among the community that is devoted to it. Hence such a definition of "iconic" would be silly.

Gravijah

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Anything is extremely recognizable among the community that is devoted to it. Hence such a definition of "iconic" would be silly.

So then are we talking iconic among gamers or iconic among culture in general?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gravijah said:
So then are we talking iconic among gamers or iconic among culture in general?

I don't know. But I think that even among gamers that logo is far less iconic than pretty much everything else in here. This could be because it really isn't as widespread and well-known as these other logos, or it could be because, by chance, I haven't encountered it before and maybe everyone else has, in which case I'm wrong and I can accept that.

UFRA

ea_logo_bk.gif

I couldn't really find a good old-school EA logo, but I remember as a kid playing SEGA Genesis and I always thought the EA logo was really cool and definitely something anyone who played games would recognize.

Top Bottom