• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iconic Gaming Logos

Randy said:
infogrames47.png

Putting in the V-Rally cheats during this start-up logo was a bitch.
I do hate on this logo though. So fucking much.

WTF is a "GRAME"?

Dark Octave said:
I do hate on this logo though. So fucking much.

WTF is a "GRAME"?
Wikipedia said:
The founders wanted to christen the company Zboub Système, but were dissuaded by their legal counsel.[4] According to Bonnell in a TV interview, they then used a mix-and-match computer program to suggest other names, one of which was "Infogramme": a portmanteau of the French words "informatique" (information technology) and "programme" (a computer program). The final choice, "Infogrames", was a slightly modified version of that suggestion, and is pronounced /ˌɪnfoʊˈɡræmz/ in English.

Stabby McSter said:
This thread turned into a "POST YOUR FAVORITE LOGOS". Most of these aren't really iconic.

Should a MOD delete some of the logos that aren´t ICONIC? or you should share with us what does iconic for you means.

yencid

Teknoman said:
I'd say iconic should be anything that any well rounded gamer could recognize.
yeah i would agree but then again i dont know what the OP was aiming for so i just posted as if he meant culture in general.

Wool

284Mistermostyn.gif

Maybe not iconic for everyone, but I know I was not the only person who played Tony Hawk religiously for the first 6 games or so.

bjaelke

ea_logos.jpg

Some of these are stretching it a bit, yes. I was originally looking for the EA logo compilation where it shows all their different variations of their logo.

yencid said:

Not mad, but just wanted to point out that there should really be some guidelines in the OP so that everyone can post a GAMING LOGO with the standards that the OP wants, because for me a GAMING ICON or ICONIC LOGO should be what every normal gamer with seeing that image can automatically recognize the game.

Why For?

Banned
This thread proves that most of GAF doesn't actually know what iconic means.

What, you think most of the gaming world is on GAF or something?

Why For? said:
This thread proves that most of GAF doesn't actually know what iconic means.

Yeah that doesn´t help much.

Definition of ICONIC by http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/iconic

a) a usually pictorial representation
b) [Late Greek eikōn, from Greek] : a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians
c) an object of uncritical devotion : idol
d) emblem, symbol <the house became an icon of 1960's residential architecture — Paul Goldberger>
e) - sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning
- a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that usually suggests the type of object represented or the purpose of an available function

— icon·ic adjective
— icon·i·cal·ly adverb

Christine

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Yeah that doesn´t help much.

This might be more helpful:

TvTropes said:
Sometimes, you can recognize a franchise almost instantly by the characteristic way it writes its name, or the iconography associated with a brand or franchise.

This is an Iconic Logo.

This trope is for franchise logos that have become so associated with their particular franchise that changing them would be unthinkable, even if this is not the logo the franchise originated with.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
mrseaves said:

Does this even qualify as a logo?

Anyway we've had so many threads on company logos before, I think it'd be far more interesting to focus on cool logo designs within the games themselves.

I absolutely adore logo design for the teams in Wipeout, glad to see some already posted :)

agsystems.png
agsystems.png
agsystems.png
agsystems.png
agsystems.png

assegai.png
assegai.png
assegai.png

auricom.png
auricom.png
auricom.png

egr.png
xios.png

feisar.png
feisar.png
feisar.png

goteki.png
goteki.png

harimau.png

icaras.png
icaras.png

mirage.png

piranha.png
piranha.png
piranha.png

qirex.png
qirex.png
qirex.png
qirex.png
qirex.png

triakis.png

Gravijah

Vilam said:
Does this even qualify as a logo?

Anyway we've had so many threads on company logos before, I think it'd be far more interesting to focus on cool logo designs within the games themselves.

I absolutely adore logo design for the teams in Wipeout, glad to see some already posted :)

Designers Republic did those, right?

UFRA

If people are going to be so strict about what's iconic and what isn't, then technically the OP broke the thread right from the start, since Mortal Kombat isn't exactly as iconic as something like PacMan or Tetris.

OP set the precedent for games that are well known but not exactly biblical levels of iconic, so let's just have fun posting at the very least 'very popular/well-known' logos. :p

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Gravijah said:
Designers Republic did those, right?

I believe they were involved with the design on Wipeout 1 - 3 but weren't associated with the series past that. The logos in my post come from throughout the entire span of the series. I absolutely love the Designers Republic's entire style.

Balb

UFRA said:
If people are going to be so strict about what's iconic and what isn't, then technically the OP broke the thread right from the start, since Mortal Kombat isn't exactly as iconic as something like PacMan or Tetris.

OP set the precedent for games that are well known but not exactly biblical levels of iconic, so let's just have fun posting at the very least 'very popular/well-known' logos. :p

Mortal Kombat is very iconic, at least in the US.

Izayoi

Banned
i·con·ic
&#8194; &#8194;/a&#618;&#712;k&#594;n&#618;k/ [ahy-kon-ik]
–adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
Art. (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

That's pretty broad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hats off to the bros who posted the Wipeout logos, Harimau is best obviously

I like:

ikrDL.gif

what do you think happens when you turn that valve?

Top Bottom